Debating Marina or Nautica

dogholly

We are debating choice of Sydney to Tahiti on Marina OR Bangkok to Dubai on Nautica both next Spring. Have never sailed Oceania and both areas are new to us although we travel often. Could use some discussion/advice from seasoned Oceania folks.

You are going to get a mixed bag of answers here.

I am not a fan of the larger Oceania ships. Nautica would be my choice.

Half as many passengers, greater intimacy -- which is why we sail O in the first place. The larger ships are beautiful and have more food choices (irrelevant to me personally), but they feel a bit mass market IMO.

We pay the premium on O to get that "special something" that comes with sailing with only 600-700 passengers where you get to know almost everyone. IMO that is completely lost on the larger ships.

I can practically name the posters who will disagree with me. This is my opinion.

Also -- If you want to sail French Polynesia, consider the Paul Gauguin. There is nothing else like it.

Enjoy whatever ship/itinerary you choose.

We are debating choice of Sydney to Tahiti on Marina OR Bangkok to Dubai on Nautica both next Spring. Have never sailed Oceania and both areas are new to us although we travel often. Could use some discussion/advice from seasoned Oceania folks.

On the two cruises you are considering I would consider Marina because of the number of sea days. More restaurants on Marina and entertainment is a shade better. Service and food are superb on both. Stateroom you are considering would also be part of my decision. e.g. PH staterooms on Marina are larger that PH on Nautica. However both are very adequate.

Enjoy you cruise. I am sure you will enjoy Oceania.

We really need to know a bit more about your likes and dislikes to have a meaningful discussion to really help you decide!!

Jancruz1

Nautica and Marina are different, but they are definitely related. The layout of both ships is relatively similar, although Marina is double the size, so its easy to get your bearings once aboard. But since you've sailed neither this is probably not important to you.

Nautica is a bit more traditional in decor, while Marina is more contemporary. The art on both ships is appropriate and interesting. Obviously, Nautica is older, but both ships are well maintained, so you won't have condition issues.

We sailed Marina for a TA and found more to do on sea days than is available on Nautica (most notably the Culinary Center and the Art Loft), so that could be a consideration on a longer trip. But you won't be bored on Nautica either. If you're a reader, there has been a decided preference for the Nautica library among CC posters. But both ships have ample space to have a quiet moment when you need one. And Marina houses my favorite spot, Baristas.

There are those who contend a larger ship is more stable in open ocean settings so that is something you might consider, but since we don't have any issues with mal-de-mer I'll let others weigh in on that issue.

I agree the PH cabins on Marina are larger and more luxurious. The regular balcony cabins on Nautica are better organized, with the closet just inside the door, while on Marina they are beside the bed (ok if you sleep on that side - not so good if you are the earlier riser sleeping on the opposite side - the closet interior is automatically lighted when you open the door).

In the long run, both are wonderful ships, and you will enjoy yourself, no matter which you choose.

I tend to agree with Lyn - pick the itinerary you find more interesting and "Go for it." Either way, you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Bon Voyage!:)

Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary (sound familiar? :D)

If you are a foodie, I would go with Marina as there are 4 specialty restaurants and the most amazing Terrace Cafe (daily lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, etc, etc, etc.).

For most other reasons we prefer Nautica.

You can't go wrong with either one. :)

BTW - do you have air miles with any airline? If so, whoever can get you where you need to go easier in business (Asia vs Oceania) that would be a major plus for me as well

Both ships are wonderful. What's important is to keep in mind the cruiseline, Oceania. Each ship will be kept to its highest stardards.

It is definitely a matter of selecting the itinerary of your choice and the size ship you prefer. My husband and I just traveled on the Riviera this past May and loved it, but will be returning to the Nautica this April for the Bangkok-Dubai cruise. We have cruised her before and are confident it will be wonderful.

Have fun planning!

I would go with Marina because going to Dubai, will be through a region that is in serious turmoil in a political sence and very unstable.:o

Whereas the trip to Tahiti will be way more secure.

The world is a different place than it was... Some wonderful place are now scary dangerous.

You will LOVE Oceania..many of us are repeat sailors on her..we much prefer the smaller ships..you feel like a family on board and see your new friends all the time. We were on Nautica past May and loved our cruise..we

have been on Insignia twice before that. We are booked on Bangkok to

Dubai..we loved the itinerary and the big plus for us was it was on Nautica. Choose by your itinerary..

Our neighbors just got back from Riviera and had some mobility issues with her with all the steps from dock to deck everytime you got on or off.

It was not easy.

You will enjoy O.

Sherry & Kimber

Another vote here for letting the itinerary guide you. Although you might not guess it from many of the posts on CC cruising does entail an element of travel. It's not just the ship. it's where it takes you that's also important. Either Marina or Nautica will be a great means of transportation to the places you most want to see.

Another vote here for letting the itinerary guide you. Although you might not guess it from many of the posts on CC cruising does entail an element of travel. It's not just the ship. it's where it takes you that's also important. Either Marina or Nautica will be a great means of transportation to the places you most want to see.

Agree wholeheartedly! I have only cruised a few times but it is itinerary first. The fact that Oceania goes where I want to go, well, that is just luck, I guess!

We have been on Nautica and Mariner and love both of the ships. The ports are important for us but you can't go wrong with any of the ships on Oceania. We are going to South Pacific and New Zealand in February and this will be our 7th time on Oceania.

You are going to get a mixed bag of answers here.

I am not a fan of the larger Oceania ships. Nautica would be my choice.

Half as many passengers, greater intimacy -- which is why we sail O in the first place. The larger ships are beautiful and have more food choices (irrelevant to me personally), but they feel a bit mass market IMO.

We pay the premium on O to get that "special something" that comes with sailing with only 600-700 passengers where you get to know almost everyone. IMO that is completely lost on the larger ships.

I can practically name the posters who will disagree with me. This is my opinion.

Also -- If you want to sail French Polynesia, consider the Paul Gauguin. There is nothing else like it.

Enjoy whatever ship/itinerary you choose.

I agree for the Paul Gauguin but at the time we cruised with this ship it was belonged to Regent Seven Seas

I also vote for picking the ship on the basis of the itinerary first, and other factors second. I like the smaller ships better, and am willing to give up Red Ginger, Jacques, Artist's Loft, and extras in the Terrace in exchange for fewer people and a more intimate atmostphere. However, I always put itinerary first. Also, this is not a huge factor in my decisions, but something you MIGHT want to keep in mind if you prefer DIYing in ports rather than doing shore excursions (ship or other) or hiring drivers: The smaller ships often get the better docking locations, since they are smaller and can dock just about anywhere. For example, in Helsinki, Nautica passengers could simply walk off the ship and be at the harbor/market area in a minute or two. Those of us on Marina had to take a shuttle to get anywhere close to there.

As to the mobility issue comment above, I'm afraid that would apply pretty equally to both ships, as it is necessary to use a ramp with steps going down to the dock (or tender platform). However, mobility impaired folks are always allowed to use the "crew" entrance/exit, which means a more gradually-sloping ramp which goes to a lower floor.

Archived