Need some help please

Estealvarado

hello my mom and i are trying to plan a royal carribean cruise leaving venice italy at 5:00 pm. We wanted to arrive the same day from the usa around 11:00 am. How long does it take to get to the venice cruise port from the airport?

Are there taxis or transfers that can take us?

Also this cruise arrives back in venice around 6:00 am would it be ok to take a flight back home to the usa later that same afternoon?

It's just me but there's no way I would risk flying from the US to Europe to arrive the same day the ship leaves. There are too many things that could go wrong and cause a delay - weather, mechanical problems, etc. Plus I would want to do some sightseeing around Venice.

We're flying in 2 days before on our next cruise - and it's just from Texas to Fort Lauderdale. Gives us time to relax for a full day and get over some of the jet lag.

I am with Sparky, fly in one or more days early and enjoy this delightful city.

If you insist on flying in the day of departure, It will take 2 to 3 hours from touchdown till you are on the ship. This would include taxiing to the gate, getting off, walking all over the airport, immigration, baggage claim, customs, transport to the ship and checkin.

IMO, this is extremely risky and definitely would not do it. The plane could easily be delayed. Then you need to go through Passport Control and Customs in Italy -- no telling how long the lines will be. You could get through in a half hour or two hours.

You also need to be aware that your transportation in Venice will be via the water (taxi or vaporetto). Really think you need to do some research online.

In my opinion, the odds of you making the ship in time is 50%.

The airport in Venice is on the mainland and the ship leaves from the marina off shore in the city of Venice. You have two options. One is take a bus to the transportation hub on the tip of Venice. The other is take a water taxi to the marina. I'd take the water taxi. It's a great way to get a nice view of the city, and part of what makes it such a special place. Beyond the transportation hub there are no cars or buses. Depending on where your ship docks it may be possible to get there on land. I agree with the others that it's best to fly in a day early. It's a wonderful town to just walk around and get lost in. It's small enough you're never really lost for long, and safe. There is nothing better than strolling through St. Marks square in the evening, listening to the small orchestras, after the day trippers have left. Take the water taxi, and stay an extra night. There are no traffic jams on the water "highway", and you will never forget the experience.

In my opinion you are taking a HUGE risk flying in day of sailing. I'd definitely fly in at least one day prior, if not two or three. Flying out on day of disembarkation is probably do-able, but again, I prefer to stay a day or two longer. Even if it makes money a bit tight, you won't be rushed and living with the fear of cancelled flights, bad weather, mechanical problems with the plane, etc.

hello my mom and i are trying to plan a royal carribean cruise leaving venice italy at 5:00 pm. We wanted to arrive the same day from the usa around 11:00 am. How long does it take to get to the venice cruise port from the airport?

Also this cruise arrives back in venice around 6:00 am would it be ok to take a flight back home to the usa later that same afternoon?

I would not risk to miss the cruise arriving the same day. Can you fly at least one day early? Look for hotels in the Piazzale Roma area if only for 1 night.

Going back, it's OK to fly the same afternoon. You can get a taxi (or a free shuttle to P.le Roma, if offered, and a bus to the airport) - or get the ship shuttle to the airport.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No way I do book any flights where I arrive at the embarkation port on the same day.

We have had flights here in the US that were cancelled the morning when we got to the airport -- and that in turn meant that our connecting flight had to be changed as well.

You need to arrive 1 or 2 days before the cruise.

With a flight late in the afternoon to return home will not be a problem.

It's just me but there's no way I would risk flying from the US to Europe to arrive the same day the ship leaves. There are too many things that could go wrong and cause a delay - weather, mechanical problems, etc. Plus I would want to do some sightseeing around Venice.

We're flying in 2 days before on our next cruise - and it's just from Texas to Fort Lauderdale. Gives us time to relax for a full day and get over some of the jet lag.

As everyone has stated, your plan is extremely risky as you may not get to your ship on time. I have never flown internationally but even for cruises starting in the US, we always plan to arrive at least a day ahead (the only exceptions is for our home port which is an hour's drive for us, but we may try staying overnight near the port next time).

Too many ways your flight can be delayed. Plus, it would be nice to arrive, be able to adjust to the major time change for you (maybe two days ahead may be better for you), and just relax and get in a little pre-cruise sightseeing.

You don't want to miss the ship - it will not wait for you. I believe you have to be checked in about 90 minutes before sailing or you will not be able to get on the ship. If you did miss the ship you would have to pay to get to the next port the cruise visits.

I don't do same day flights even if I am cruising from a US port. Having the extra time to get to the ship starts my vacation a day sooner and avoids a lot of stress. With the full planes, security and weather even a short delay could mean missing the ship even if the same day flight is scheduled to arrive at 6:00 am and the cruise leaves at 5:00 pm.

According to the RCL website, the cruise terminal is 10 miles (says it is a 30 minute drive) from Marco Polo airport. You can purchase a transfer from them, or hire a taxi or water taxi at the airport. Personally, I would double the time they say. You also have to (obviously) account for time to get your luggage, get through customs, etc.

According to the RCL website, the cruise terminal is 10 miles (says it is a 30 minute drive) from Marco Polo airport. You can purchase a transfer from them, or hire a taxi or water taxi at the airport. Personally, I would double the time they say. You also have to (obviously) account for time to get your luggage, get through customs, etc.

Another problem is the Italians themselves. There are many planned strikes, airport, taxi and public transportation. This can be a disaster waiting to happen even if your plane arrives on time.

(Before anyone flames me DD has lived in Rome for the past two years. When any transportation goes on strike it is a huge mess.)

Please consider flying in a day early. If you do not want the expense or hassle of a water taxi to a Venice hotel you can stay at Maestre. We stayed at the Best Western right across the street from the train station and you could take the train into Venice for the first evening. Next morning after included buffet breakfast you can take a taxi to the ship. At about 10 you can leave your luggage (check with cruise line in writing) and then enjoy 4 or 5 hours in Venice. I could not imagine flying all the way from Venice and not seeing even a little of the city.

If there is some personal reason you cannot leave a day early, at least get an earlier flight so you get there super early, like 7 a.m. If there is nothing out of Orlando I would check Miami or Ft Lauderdale. You might still get that half day in Venice, although you will be jet lagged.

Buy insurance. You may need it.

Congratulations for asking this question before you purchase your tickets.

Another problem is the Italians themselves. There are many planned strikes, airport, taxi and public transportation. This can be a disaster waiting to happen even if your plane arrives on time.

(Before anyone flames me DD has lived in Rome for the past two years. When any transportation goes on strike it is a huge mess.)

No flaming here. I was just answering the OP question which (how long it takes to get there and what are the options for getting there). She got a lot of I wouldn't come in that day, but not an answer to her questions.

We have decided to arrive the day before the cruise leaves & stay at the courtyard marriott at the venice airport and have the hotel shuttle us to cruise port to following day. Google maps show the hotel is 14 min away from.port. Does this sound accurate and do able ?

We have decided to arrive the day before the cruise leaves & stay at the courtyard marriott at the venice airport and have the hotel shuttle us to cruise port to following day. Google maps show the hotel is 14 min away from.port. Does this sound accurate and do able ?

Yes. Get to the ship around 11am or noon, and enjoy lunch on the ship. Flight home the same day should be fine, unless something delays the ship in docking or delays the passengers in departing. Others can tell you the specifics on Venice departures and the earliest flight time you should book.

Here are links to some information that may be helpful:

Venice Marco Polo Airport - Venice for Visitors

Venice Cruise Terminal - Port of Venice

Venice Cruise Port Transportation - Venice for Visitors

Once you know which cruise terminal area your ship will use in Venice, you can read the information for the Stazione Marittima basin or the San Basilio pier

If you plan on catching a plane to the USA the same day your ship returns, they suggest allowing at least four hours, and preferably five.

The latest flight i found leaves venice to the usa at 1:40pm and the cruise arrives at 6am the same day i should enough time to make our flight right?

I am on a cruise in November and on our roll call some other people were asking if they could get a flight on the morning that we dock and there were replies that it was definitely possible. If your flight is in the afternoon I expect that it is doable.

You might want to look at the Italy section of cruise critic where this question is asked all the time and see all of the replies.

I think the advice about flying in the day ahead was good and glad to see you took it. You will be more rested and also have a chance to tour around Venice.

Your afternoon flight is a very reasonable plan...barring any odd occurrence (like a strike) you will have plenty of time.

If I were you, I would consider staying precruise on the island instead of at the airport. I hope my story illustrates why: We flew in from the states and arrived mid afternoon on a nice fall day. I headed to baggage claim while DH bought bus tickets at the kiosk. We wheeled the bags out, threw them on the bus which departed minutes after we were seated (lucky timing). We got off the bus at P. Roma, and could see our hotel from the bus stop. We checked in then had dinner at a charming little restaurant. DH ordered fried fish special and was surprised by an exotic assortment with (I think) sardines and octopus and such. The look on his face was priceless. Hey, he was not in Wisconsin anymore! We switched dinner plates and I enjoyed unforgettably fresh and tasty seafood while he had whatever I ordered (it was good, too, but less memorable). After dinner we enjoyed the night air and walked to the valporetto ticket stand (no line to get passes:D). We popped onto line 1, took open air seats, and had a gorgeous evening view of the grand canal...stunning and uncrowded. We exited at P St Marco and walked the Plaza and surrounding area...nicely lit, tranquil, uncrowded. Back on another valporetto for another special ride back to P. Roma...those photos turned out well....Though jet lagged, I would not trade that evening in Venice for any other travel memory. We were up early the next morning. It was a bit rainy. There were crowds everywhere, but since we already had passes, we did not waste time at the Valporetto ticket stand. The Valporettos were at full capacity, still very nice but not tranquil..felt like we were rubbing elbows with locals and tourists. The city sights were full of tourists but so special. We tried to enjoy every moment in Venice before we boarded the ship. Delightful.

Here's what likely would have happened if we stayed at the airport...taxi or shuttle to standard airport hotel...dinner in airport hotel...go to bed...standard hotel breakfast...shuttle to cruiseport...stay on ship (missing Venice) or leave ship for only a painfully short time in the charming city.

If this is your first (possibly only) time in Venice, do make the most of it.

Your afternoon flight is a very reasonable plan...barring any odd occurrence (like a strike) you will have plenty of time.

If I were you, I would consider staying precruise on the island instead of at the airport. I hope my story illustrates why: We flew in from the states and arrived mid afternoon on a nice fall day. I headed to baggage claim while DH bought bus tickets at the kiosk. We wheeled the bags out, threw them on the bus which departed minutes after we were seated (lucky timing). We got off the bus at P. Roma, and could see our hotel from the bus stop. We checked in then had dinner at a charming little restaurant. DH ordered fried fish special and was surprised by an exotic assortment with (I think) sardines and octopus and such. The look on his face was priceless. Hey, he was not in Wisconsin anymore! We switched dinner plates and I enjoyed unforgettably fresh and tasty seafood while he had whatever I ordered (it was good, too, but less memorable). After dinner we enjoyed the night air and walked to the valporetto ticket stand (no line to get passes:D). We popped onto line 1, took open air seats, and had a gorgeous evening view of the grand canal...stunning and uncrowded. We exited at P St Marco and walked the Plaza and surrounding area...nicely lit, tranquil, uncrowded. Back on another valporetto for another special ride back to P. Roma...those photos turned out well....Though jet lagged, I would not trade that evening in Venice for any other travel memory. We were up early the next morning. It was a bit rainy. There were crowds everywhere, but since we already had passes, we did not waste time at the Valporetto ticket stand. The Valporettos were at full capacity, still very nice but not tranquil..felt like we were rubbing elbows with locals and tourists. The city sights were full of tourists but so special. We tried to enjoy every moment in Venice before we boarded the ship. Delightful.

Here's what likely would have happened if we stayed at the airport...taxi or shuttle to standard airport hotel...dinner in airport hotel...go to bed...standard hotel breakfast...shuttle to cruiseport...stay on ship (missing Venice) or leave ship for only a painfully short time in the charming city.

If this is your first (possibly only) time in Venice, do make the most of it.

I would only like to add that even if this is your second, or third or twentieth time in Venice, do make the most of it.

Never know when it will be your last time in Venice.

Archived