Meeting the Regent Reps - Anything you want me to ask/tell them?

room010

I've been invited to a Regent "do" next weekend which I suspect will be used to spruik their wares and that's fine as I'm interested in their plans for the future. I know some senior Regent people will be there, not just TAs, so if I get a chance to ask some questions or let them have some "first hand" feedback I will certainly do so. Anything you want me to ask or tell them? (I hope I'm not going to regret this....)

Ask what is going on with their destinations department. Why did they drop tours to Pnohm Penh and Kandy on the 1 Apr Voyager Bangkok to Mumbai? Why is it $519 for dog sledding in Alaska if they are subsidising $149 per excursion?

Ask when they are going to acquire an expedition ship so they can compete with Silver Explorer.

Ask why their 2013 Alaska season prices were raised so much when they can't seem to fill any of the sailings.

thanks,

Marc

Thank you for offering!

Please ask for more cruises with better rates for singles. (Compete with Crystal's and Silversea's rates.)

An itinerary from Cape Town to Singapore that includes Angkor Wat and Myanmar during January or early February would be nice. Later in the year is too hot.

Good questions. I'll have to make a list! I'm going to ask them to make Japan more of a feature on their Asia itineraries. Oh, and they badly need another ship so they can offer more choices but despite the rumours I don't believe that's going to happen any time soon.

Thank you for asking. Could you plead the case for disabled guests by asking that at least one of the included excursions at each port is suitable for guests with mobility problems.

I second this plus would like to see a way to break up a longer cruise into shorter segments so those of us still working can cruise more

I also second the issue of excursions designed for those with mobility impairments.

And I also would ask to opt-out of the included excursions.

But the main issue is the price creep--they *seem* to be doing well raising prices to astronomical heights, but I think they are still losing money, no?

For instance, my 11-day SF-Van Alaska trip in 2012, base price for an E cabin was $6,399 pp. I see the 12-day SF-Van trip in 2012 has an E cabin price of $7,549. That's a per diem change from $581 pp to $629 pp.

And I'm betting that they are charging higher fees for more "select" excursions. Not a big deal really, but symptomatic. I really wish people would vote with their feet (or with their cruise dollars.)

Thank you so much for passing along our questions. Please ask why they removed Riga and Visby from the August 4, 2013 sailing on Voyager. Since I have been to most of the ports on this itinerary, one of my main reasons for taking this cruise was to see Riga.:( Also, please ask if they are finished tinkering with the ports on this itinerary and if the itinerary is now confirmed. Lastly, please thank them for working with theater groups (i.e., Theater At Sea, Playbill) for special theater-themed cruises to bring on board exceptional entertainment.

Thanks,

Shelley

Room010, Knowing sessions with any management as I do you are not going to be able to ask all these questions. Please select what you feel matters most to you, but I do agree if excursions are supposed to be subsidized to a certain level-whatever it is- why are there still so many at way above that rate? Thanks

Yes, we need new itineraries and they can't keep on raising prices twice a year. They are pricing themselves out. They raise prices and then when the ships in the Mediterranean are not full start offering upgrades to business air for $499.

That's interesting. My cruise on September 6 on the Mariner was so oversold that I had three offers to cancel in the final week. Each offer was increased a LOT. Because I had others with me and we had made extra plans I hoped that Regent wouldn't make a third offer that I would feel I couldn't refuse.

That's interesting. My cruise on September 6 on the Mariner was so oversold that I had three offers to cancel in the final week. Each offer was increased a LOT. Because I had others with me and we had made extra plans I hoped that Regent wouldn't make a third offer that I would feel I couldn't refuse.

I meant to say "wouldn't make a FOURTH offer".

To restate my long-held position on the Concierge Program......... Luxury cruise lines do not have different "classes". While you pay more for larger cabins that have butlers, once you walk out of the door, you are the same as everyone else. Friends and/or relatives sailing on the same ship but in different "classes" cannot book dining reservations together (unless they wait until they are on the ship and book whatever times and days are still left).

On a positive note, the Concierge Program on Oceania that was almost rolled on out Regent (actually, part of it was for a month or so) is much worse than the current program.

According to a poster on our Roll Call who also met with Regent reps. yesterday, there will probably be single cabins on the new ship. And the new ship may do the WC. In the meantime, you can string cruises together to almost do a WC and if you book 80 days or more (together), you can get some WC ammenities (luggage shipping, etc.) The new ship has still not been announced.

TC2, Once again, although you and I agree on many items, you are off base on this one. I consider Cunard a luxury line-you may not, but they definitely have classes of accomodations and perks.

On Regent, I am very willing to pay extra for early booking on almost anything as the best usually costs more. Some SE were closed on our upcoming cruise, but we will participate because we were able to book early.

I understand the philosophy of equality, however, if the cruise line makes more money by pandering to those of us who can pay I want to be able to take advantage.

Not a pretty picture-just the way I feel.

newlondon: I would like to present a different scenario -- mainly for posters new to Regent. I am aware of several long-time Regent cruisers that are Platinum and quite a few that are Titanium. They cruise Regent frequently but elect to stay in non-Concierge level suites. The way the plan was presented originally (and may be how it is administered on Oceania) loyal Regent guests -- even those with 500+ nights on Regent would have to wait 2-3 months after "Concierge" level guests booked their reservations.

You may also recall that early boarding was proposed for Regent (Concierge level). This policy exists on Oceania.

There was much discussion on the Regent board regarding the loyalty of at last 100,000 pasengers that could have been affected by the change. Fortunately, after the plan had been in place one month, loyal Regent guests (Silver and above) were exempted from the new policy. I was very happy that Regent made this decision. If Regent has to impose a penalty on passengers (still disagree with this), at least it on those new to Regent who are not booked in a Concierge level suite.

I agree that part of Cunard's "Queen" ships are luxury -- just not the entire ship. My DH came to this country (the U.S.) on the Queen Elizabeth. He was in "steerage" -- horrible accommodations -- not permitted in most parts of the ship. There are many main stream and premium ships that have very luxurious areas that only people who have paid a lot of money can access. There is generally a huge difference in price between the upper and lower categories ($200-300 per night vs. $1,500 per night -- just approximate figures).

We will probably never agree on this (my DH thinks the class system is fine as well -- he grew up with it). I feel that when you reach the level of the luxury cruise lines, everything should be pretty much equal once you leave your suite. If Regent customers had accepted the proposed plan, who knows where it would have led. Specialty restaurants that only Penthouse and above could dine in?

Okay -- I'll shut up now.

Archived