Meeting the Regent Reps - Anything you want me to ask/tell them?

room010

I agree in general with TC, I like "democratic" ships. That being said, I'm going to sail with Oceania next year. I don't think the difference is 2 or 3 months, however, for dining reservations. Here are the rules for dining reservations on O:

Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites can make reservations 90 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation

I was thinking of excursion reservations. Concierge can book at 240 days while non-concierge is 180...... only 2 months....... but, admittedly, math isn't my thing:-) IMO, first come, first served works best even though I am aware that some guests in the concierge level suites have a better chance of getting a second dining reservation in Signatures and/or P7. Although we sail in concierge level (not for the benefits added in 2012), we are not fans of the speciality restaurants but do look forward to trying Sette Mare.

Wendy, when we were booked on the Riviera in a penthouse suite, we would have had to wait to board until higher levels had boarded. Are you familiar with the embarkation times for the different levels?

I'm afraid that your information on boarding the Riviera is not correct. We were on the Riviera in June, and everyone was allowed to board starting at 11AM. We were in an Oceania suite and there were no special boarding times for anyone. Our friends in a regular cabin boarded before us!

:)

I'm afraid that your information on boarding the Riviera is not correct. We were on the Riviera in June, and everyone was allowed to board starting at 11AM. We were in an Oceania suite and there were no special boarding times for anyone. Our friends in a regular cabin boarded before us!

Glad that the rediculous policy has changed. We were booked on the first maiden voyage (one of two that never occured due to the delay in completing the ship). There was definitely a time schedule listed at that time for boarding. Sounds like they are following Regent for once instead of the other way around.

There's a certain type of cruiser, on all lines, who just loves to bask in their "status", loudly proclaims it and expects preferential treatment. Anxious to keep their loyalty AKA cashflow the cruise lines pander to this by offering labyrinthine perks and benefits programs, often of very dubious benefit, so the various "classes" can feel (sic) speshul. That's fine to a certain extent but I agree with TC that when it comes to public spaces and amenities then all passengers are equal and should be treated accordingly.

We have toyed with the idea of a Cunard cruise but having done the necessary research I've decided its "class system" would just irritate me so I'm sticking with Regent which is the best "fit" for us. The other deal breaker was Cunard's iron clad non-refundable deposit policy but that's another discussion.

Wendy, when we were booked on the Riviera in a penthouse suite, we would have had to wait to board until higher levels had boarded. Are you familiar with the embarkation times for the different levels?

Glad others have answered this one. I have no idea, since our cruise is more than a year out still. But I had gotten the idea over on the Oceania board here at CC that the differential embarkation times tended to be pretty loose.

We're booked in a PH, not concerned about boarding since we'll be in Barcelona (presumably) pre-cruise and will no doubt waltz on whenever we feel like it. I will be excited to see this ship, however.

Wendy, The ship is Beautiful!!

We were Regent Voyager lovers until we sailed on the Riviera this summer. The dress code was wonderful, something that Regent should think about in warmer weather. There was no class system feeling anywhere on the ship. I think one has to sail on Riviera to experience this. I find it interesting that people that haven't sailed on "O" can criticise som thing they have not experienced first hand.

We were Regent Voyager lovers until we sailed on the Riviera this summer. The dress code was wonderful, something that Regent should think about in warmer weather. There was no class system feeling anywhere on the ship. I think one has to sail on Riviera to experience this. I find it interesting that people that haven't sailed on "O" can criticise som thing they have not experienced first hand.

Based on photographs and video, the Riviera may be the most beautiful ship in the world. I do not think anyone would disagree with that.

What I do not like about Oceania is some of its policies. Also, some of us who sailed on Regent prior to it being sold to Apollo do not appreciate when changes are made to make Regent more like Oceania. They are both wonderful cruise lines but do not need to be "twins". Personally, the more Oceania is shoved into our faces, the less we want to try sailing on "O"!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback. But in what way did the Riviera dress code differ from Voyager?

Based on photographs and video, the Riviera may be the most beautiful ship in the world. I do not think anyone would disagree with that.

What I do not like about Oceania is some of its policies. Also, some of us who sailed on Regent prior to it being sold to Apollo do not appreciate when changes are made to make Regent more like Oceania. They are both wonderful cruise lines but do not need to be "twins". Personally, the more Oceania is shoved into our faces, the less we want to try sailing on "O"!!!

In what way is Oceanis being shoved in your face? Talking about O on the R board? (And I too hope they never become "twins"--R is far too expensive.)

In what way is Oceanis being shoved in your face? Talking about O on the R board? (And I too hope they never become "twins"--R is far too expensive.)

For me, trying to impose the original Oceania Concierge program on Regent was horrible. When they initially began sending Oceania personnel to Regent, it affected the service. I am not suggesting that the crew on Oceania is/was poor -- just different. On Oceania drinks were separate -- you needed to sign for them. Tips were also expected. Not entirely sure how the tipping worked. Some TA's paid tips for their customers but did not necessarily cover everyone that you would want to share in the tip pool. Tips were/are(?) added to the drink tab. From what I have heard from two couples who have sailed on Oceania, the staff was expecting tips. The expectation is different on Regent. Although some people insist on giving individual tips, it is not expected.

Another example is the recent increase in internet prices on Regent. According to posters on the Regent board, internet prices have been increased to align with Oceania. Again, Regent is not Oceania. Their shis may be newer and may have better communication equipment than Regent....... but, IMO, one has nothing to do with the other. Regent is all-inclusive with a fairly minimal charge for internet usage (until now).

I can understand PCH using the same vendors for both cruise lines -- it makes financial sense. However, it is frustrating to hear from customers that Oceania's food is better than Regent. They are now advertised as "luxury". A few years ago, Regent was luxury and Oceania was upper Premium. According to an article I just read, Oceania's two new ships have 13 lobster preparations every day and a special Lobster Night. Of course they also use Jacques Pepin recipes and have the Bon Appetit Culinary Center with classes for their passengers. As you recall, PCH cancelled our affiliation with Le Cordon Bleu leaving Regent without onboard classes for their passenger. This paragraph could just be a jealously factor on my part. Here is the article I referenced http://www.chron.com/life/article/Calling-all-food-lovers-3510639.php .

Wendy, you have been on the Oceania board more recently. Do Regent loyalists brag about Regent on the Oceania board? Just curious.

Each group entitled to board is given a boarding time. I don't see why if you pay for a benefit that there should be a problem with it. You don't pay for a hamburger and expect steak when you go out to eat without a different menu price. If you want to board early and it's a benefit for a larger cabin with more services, that should not be an issue. When I sail Oceania, I know what to expect in a Concierge cabin vs a standard cabin. It's no big deal. When we boardied the Nautica in Istanbul, people arriving before their boarding time waiting in the boarding lounge. Same when we boarded in Stockholm. We waited to board Regent in Fort Lauderdale because we were early and the ship was not ready.

:)

Glad that the rediculous policy has changed. We were booked on the first maiden voyage (one of two that never occured due to the delay in completing the ship). There was definitely a time schedule listed at that time for boarding. Sounds like they are following Regent for once instead of the other way around.

The policy has not changed. It was never a class system in the first place. I told you that in person, and at least 3 or 4 times since then, and you chose to ignoire me.

Each group entitled to board is given a boarding time. I don't see why if you pay for a benefit that there should be a problem with it. You don't pay for a hamburger and expect steak when you go out to eat without a different menu price. If you want to board early and it's a benefit for a larger cabin with more services, that should not be an issue. When I sail Oceania, I know what to expect in a Concierge cabin vs a standard cabin. It's no big deal. When we boardied the Nautica in Istanbul, people arriving before their boarding time waiting in the boarding lounge. Same when we boarded in Stockholm. We waited to board Regent in Fort Lauderdale because we were early and the ship was not ready.

IMO it is a HUGE difference (unless you are from a mainstream cruise line where this is the norm). Regent boards approximately 12:00 p.m. If you arrive early you wait. On Oceania, if you are in a standard stateroom, you may have to check out of your hotel at noon and not be able to board until 3:30 p.m. What is the point to that? Sitting and watching the upper class board before you? Oceania passengers may say that you probably get to board early if you are there. However, if you are new to Oceania and are told that you board at 3:30 p.m. you have to figure out what to do with your luggage and yourself until boarding time. If I were told I had to board at 3:30 p.m. I would not show up at noon in hopes of boarding. According to a previous poster, Oceania has seen the idiocy of their ways and changed it and now all passengers board at the same time.

BTW, in our 13 Regent cruises, we have never boarded late. Certainly there are times when there is an unexpected inspection, computer issues, etc. However, at least on Regent, ALL passengers have been treated respectfully and have never had to watch the upper class board the ship before them.

I guess the bigger question is why Oceania passengers want Regent passengers to think that their policies are okay? If Oceania passengers are happy -- that's great. What is it with posters from certain cruise lines trying to convert those of us who do not need converting. If/when I have questions about other cruise lines, I will go to their boards and politely ask the questions that I have.

Isn't this thread about what REGENT passengers want to ask Regent reps?

Thanks for the positive feedback. But in what way did the Riviera dress code differ from Voyager?
What is their definition of casual?

Oceania calls their dress code "country club causual" while Regent uses "elegant casual". There is no real difference in the way the code is written, but the inference is that somehow the Regent code is more "elegant". I found absolutely no difference in the codes themselves.

However, I do believe there is a significant difference in enforcement, or at least the expectation of enforcement. On Oceania, the dress policy extends to the Grand Dining Room and the specialty restaurants, not to the rest of the ship. If you choose to dine in the less casual Terrace Buffet, you can wear the same clothes the rest of the evening. No one is going to deny entrance to the theater lounge, for example, due to dress. On Regent, there is a certain segment of the guests who insist the policy covers the entire ship after 6 PM, and will look down their noses at someone who might choose to wear a tee-shirt to the theater.

That's not to say that Oceania looks like Carnival or NCL after 6 PM; that's not so. The passengers are well-traveled and well-mannered, and always look nice even when they are wearing less than "elegant" dress.

The difference, while slight, has always tended to reinforce my impression that Oceania is friendly and tends to treat passengers like adults, while Regent is sometimes snobby or stuffy, and seems to not trust passengers to be responsible for themselves.

Hi Don -- haven't seen you post in a while.

Regent's dress code has always been for the whole ship. Not sure why but it isn't just that some of us think it's that way. I like the fact that Oceania has a more casual dress code on parts of the ship but would not necessarily like to see Regent become the same way. IMO, there is nothing wrong with a luxury cruise line expecting its passengers to wear a collared shirt and slacks in the evening. "Our" (Regent) dress code is the most relaxed of the luxury cruise lines (except SeaDream Yacht Club).

Do you really think that Regent does not treat their customers like adults? Perhaps the dress code exists because in the old days (in the 80's and 90's -- not 1910 or something), people who went to a nice restaurant would not consider t-shirts, shorts, flip flops, etc. I believe that this type of dress ("Elegent Casual") exists in many parts of the country. Although where we currently live you could wear almost anything in a fine dining restaurant, we would not think of doing that. Slacks and a collared shirt is, IMHO, the minimal dress code on either Regent or Oceania.

It puzzles me that it is such a big deal for anyone to dress nicely for dinner. Where I grew up (in ultra casual Southern California), we didn't dress for dinner every day but certainly did for holidays, etc. -- even though we were dining in our own home. I suppose I'm just getting old:confused:

OK, I'm going to drag this thread back on topic if it kills me. My thread, my rules :D. I'm leaving in a hour to attend the function and will report straight back. I've typed up a list of your questions/comments which I will give them to consider and respond to in due course if necessary if I don't get a chance to ask face to face. Watch this space.

Archived