Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

[quote name='mjldvlks']That is the key fact. I think it is the point everyone is trying to make. Except for exceptionally tall or top heavy folks, an accidental fall requires you to climb or otherwise be lifted off the deck first. The people who "just fall" are climbing up the rail for some reason or are sitting on the railing or doing something else [[B][COLOR=red]something else both intentional and ill advised if not outright stupid[/COLOR][/B]] to keep the railing from doing its job. There is always the possibility that someone was helped over the rail against his or her will [i.e. pushed or thrown] but all the reports here say the individual was alone so that seems to be out of the question.[/quote]

[quote name='Gonzo70']I do not believe that was the case with the aforementioned incident. The young gentleman was leaning over the rail vomiting and tumbled over. I do not recall any reference to his having climbed up the rail.

Edit: Here is a link to an article on that incident; it was longer ago than I had remembered, but there is no mention of any climbing up the rail: [URL]http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Daniel_Dipiero.html[/URL][/quote]
I go with "something else both intentional and ill advised if not outright stupid"

[quote name='Gonzo70']You can "go with" whatever you want, but the facts are the incident was captured on video.[/quote]1. being so drunk that you have to lean over to puke and fall off is stupid. 2. I did not see the video did you? 3.The site that you linked to is a bit biased in the anti cruise line direction.

[quote name='mjldvlks']That is the key fact. I think it is the point everyone is trying to make. Except for exceptionally tall or top heavy folks, an accidental fall requires you to climb or otherwise be lifted off the deck first. The people who "just fall" are climbing up the rail for some reason or are sitting on the railing or doing something else [something else both intentional and ill advised if not outright stupid] to keep the railing from doing its job. There is always the possibility that someone was helped over the rail against his or her will [i.e. pushed or thrown] but all the reports here say the individual was alone so that seems to be out of the question.[/quote]

What is often forgotten however, is that on many open decks there are sections of railings that have an open construction. While it is extremely difficult to go over the top railing and generally difficult (often there is a 3" - 4" lip) to slide through the bottom, it is not so difficult to go through a middle opening.

Me, I'm paranoid and generally stay an arms length away from open railings. I am especially cautious of the sections that are removable, like the bow railings on Radiance class, and the gates designed to provide access to lifeboats in an emergency. I'm sure ship protocols double and triple check such fastenings, but I never trust them.:o

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']1. being so drunk that you have to lean over to puke and fall off is stupid. 2. I did not see the video did you? 3.The site that you linked to is a bit biased in the anti cruise line direction.[/quote]

I am 6'2" and can't lean over far enough put myself in any sort of danger without climbing the railing.

I am 20" taller than the standard railing.

I was on this cruise. Despite what you think, we really don't know any more than what was reported. Captain Johnny confirmed reports of a person overboard. When you're on a ship with 8,000+ people, getting accurate information is a crap shoot. Ever play "telephone" as a kid? Multiply that by thousands!

First is was confirmed she jumped. Then it was confirmed it was because she was heart broken over a relationship gone bad. Then it was she was drunk and had a fight with her mother. Then is was she was sitting on the railing and fell, trying to catch herself and being unable to do so.

All we really know is that a 21 year old woman lost her life and a mother lost her daughter. It's tragic.

And I truly only heard one person being an a$$ about missing Nassau.

[quote name='OHCruisin']I was on this cruise. Despite what you think, we really don't know any more than what was reported. Captain Johnny confirmed reports of a person overboard. When you're on a ship with 8,000+ people, getting accurate information is a crap shoot. Ever play "telephone" as a kid? Multiply that by thousands!

First is was confirmed she jumped. Then it was confirmed it was because she was heart broken over a relationship gone bad. Then it was she was drunk and had a fight with her mother. Then is was she was sitting on the railing and fell, trying to catch herself and being unable to do so.

All we really know is that a 21 year old woman lost her life and a mother lost her daughter. It's tragic.

And I truly only heard one person being an a$$ about missing Nassau.[/quote]

Thank you for your input. It is always sad when an incident like this happens, As you said they only thing we know for sure is that a 21 year old woman lost her life and a mother lost her daughter. And yes,it is tragic.

[quote name='OHCruisin']

Obviously they have never been to Nassau, espically considering the situation. Sadly they are most likely a$$607es all the time. Thankfully you only met one like that.

Whatever the circumstances I hope one day the family finds peace.

Thanks for the info.

Was Nassau missed or just rescheduled for Saturday??

And your 100% correct very tragic indeed.

[quote name='OHCruisin']I was on this cruise. Despite what you think,
we really don't know any more than what was reported. Captain Johnny confirmed reports of a person overboard. When you're on a ship with 8,000+ people, getting accurate information is a crap shoot. Ever play "telephone" as a kid? Multiply that by thousands!

[quote name='sr4mjc'] Unfortunately a crew member jumped overboard after we left Nassau. [/QUOTE]

And so sad another crew member went overboard on the Serenade last Thursday :(

[url]http://www.crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-crew-member-fell-overboard[/url]

[quote name='pthree']Thanks for the info.

Was Nassau missed or just rescheduled for Saturday??

And your 100% correct very tragic indeed.[/quote]
[SIZE=3]The stop in Nassau was rescheduled and made on Saturday afternoon. We were on this cruise as well and were 6 cabins down the hall from where the young lady was located. When we arrived in St Thomas a full CSI team got on and I watched them don their "clean" suits and go into the stateroom. Afterwards the stateroom was sealed with tape. Our stateroom attendant was also working that cabin and had just met her after our sail away. She was just amazed because the girl seemed happy and pleasant.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Priusprof'][SIZE=3]The stop in Nassau was rescheduled and made on Saturday afternoon. We were on this cruise as well and were 6 cabins down the hall from where the young lady was located. When we arrived in St Thomas a full CSI team got on and I watched them don their "clean" suits and go into the stateroom. Afterwards the stateroom was sealed with tape. Our stateroom attendant was also working that cabin and had just met her after our sail away. She was just amazed because the girl seemed happy and pleasant.[/SIZE][/quote]

Hi David and Kim,

Remeber us from Mariner in May?? This is a very sad situation. John and I were on the Allure Hurricane Isaac shortened cruise, and this young lady was from our city. Local news had said FBI was involved and would be interviewing passengers and crew. Did you hear of any of that happening? Was the girl's mother in the same cabin?

Thanks for that info.
[quote name='Priusprof'][SIZE=3]The stop in Nassau was rescheduled and made on Saturday afternoon. We were on this cruise as well and were 6 cabins down the hall from where the young lady was located. When we arrived in St Thomas a full CSI team got on and I watched them don their "clean" suits and go into the stateroom. Afterwards the stateroom was sealed with tape. Our stateroom attendant was also working that cabin and had just met her after our sail away. She was just amazed because the girl seemed happy and pleasant.[/SIZE][/quote]

Wow!! Im thinking maybe the railings on these ships need to be a bit higher.

sad indeed
[quote name='SeaHunt']And so sad another crew member went overboard on the Serenade last Thursday :(

[URL]http://www.crew-center.com/royal-caribbean-crew-member-fell-overboard[/URL][/quote]

We were on Monarch and saw Allure in port on Saturday in Nassau. We were surprised at first but then remembered this thread.

No matter how the situation happened it is really sad!

For those that are worried about weddings...a few things to keep in mind (from a past cruise bride).

1. The possibility of missing a port is always going to be there (person overboard, ill passenger, mechanical issue, weather, etc.).

2. Be open to a legal marriage when you get home and a symbolic ceremony in another port or on-board if you were to miss your port. Have a backup plan that you can live with.

3. Get married on embarkation day before leaving port.

4. Consider a cruise line that does weddings at sea. This way you don't have to worry about missing a port (you can always take pictures in ports).

We initially looked into getting married in a port and then decided to get married at sea so we wouldn't have that added stress. We went with Princess as that was our only option at the time, but Celebrity now offers this (in the RCCL family).

[quote name='pthree']Wow!! Im thinking maybe the railings on these ships need to be a bit higher.[/quote]

No, they don't.

This is horrible and very sad, but ultimately there are only two reasons someone goes over the rail.

1. Stupidity - climbing the rails to look over, sitting on the rails, playing on the rails, etc.
2. Intentionally - suicide

Even the workers who have gone over either didn't follow their safety checklists and use the correct PPE or they have done it intentionally.

It's not like you are casually walking along and fling yourself over a rail that high. Gusts of wind from opening the doors are not strong enough to float you over the rail. You don't slip on a banana peel and fly over the rail. You don't look out over the sea and fly over the rail. You don't lean on the rail in the rain and slip over the rail.

You are either on the rail and shouldn't be or going over it on purpose.

Archived