Booked First Alaskan Cruise - May 21, 2013 (corrected date in title)

Ithocles

Hello All,

As a graduation gift for finishing my Ph.D., we're going on my dream cruise...Alaska. We've already booked the ship and date, and I can't tell you how excited I am. We are going a little early in the season, May 21st. I wanted to ask for those of you who've cruised during this time what your experience was like. In particular, I'm interested in whale watching. (I might have shed a tear or two at Sea World when I saw Shamu, but quickly wiped it away after the girl sitting across from me looked at me like I was a freak.) I've been obsessed with marine life since I was a kid. However, any of your experiences will help me learn and quite frankly obsess over this vacation that is almost a year away.

I'll be trying to keep an eye on this board for a while. Hopefully it doesn't get too slow over the winter months.

-Danny

I hope you mean May 2013 (otherwise you would have already sailed :D)

Please post the line and ship so we can better help you wait out the winter by helping you plan your trip.

No need to post cruise info it's already there..May 21, 2013 Carnival Miracle.

We have sailed in mid-May and loved the timing so much we will be sailing again RCI Radiance May 17, 2013....ENJOY !!!!

• Administrators
No need to post cruise info it's already there..May 21, 2013 Carnival Miracle.

We have sailed in mid-May and loved the timing so much we will be sailing again RCI Radiance May 17, 2013....ENJOY !!!!

The ship and date are only visible if you do not have signatures turned off; many of our members do keep them turned off (you can adjust this in your "User CP"), so it's usually a good idea to include this information in the text of your posts.

To the OP, I have fixed the title of your thread to correct the year. Have a great trip to Alaska!

Thanks for the corrected date - I missed the countdown clock :o

Your trip starts in Seattle on a Tuesday - are you going to fly in over the weekend to see more of the city? - I hope the answer is yes

Your next activity is Tracy Arm crusing - being your cruise is in May you stand a very good chance of visiting another Fjord and glacier as Tracy Arm is usually iced over until mid June - look up Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier - the glacier is every bit as nice as Sawyer but the fjord is not as impressive - probably why it is ice free in the early season.

The next stop is Skagway - great gold rush town lots of possiblities - the railroad, Liarsville, Gold Panning, take a trip into the Yukon - you can do several things as you have a full day.

Next is Juneau - another town built on gold - but today it is known for whales - however gold mine tours do exist - this is also the capital of Alaska - you can also see another large glacier - Mendenhall. You have about 7 hrs of real time to spend here - it is possible to do both a whale watch and Mendenhall Glacier - do them as a combo as they are on the opposite side of town from the cruise ship docks.

Now you head to Ketchikan for about 5 hrs of fun. Ketchikan is great for fishing - seeing the Misty Fjords from a float plane- seeing a lumberjack show or taking in the Bering Sea Crab Fishermans tour.

Your last stop is Victoria - again this is a beautiful city - the Empress Hotel, Butchart Gardens, Horse Drawn Carrage rides, Double Decker Buses and more - you don't have much time so probably only one tour.

Here is a website that will provide more details about each of these ports http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Happy Planning

Congratulations on getting your PhD.

What a wonderful gift -- an Alaskan cruise.

Juneau -- definitely a whale watching tour. If yoiu have time, take the Blue Bus out to Mendenhale Glacier -- this year the price was $8 per person each way. Try Tracy's Crab Shack for good food.

Skagway -- the White Pass railroad is a great tour.

Ketchikan -- walk along Creek Street, Totem Bight, Saxman Village.

Just went in August with Princess

Anchorage

McKinley 1 night

Denali 2 nights then the train to Whittier

Land Portion:

Skagway train and van to Yukon with Chilkoot

Juneau Harv and Marv WhaleWatch small boat 5 people then a stop at Mendenhall

Ketchikan Boat to Neets Bay to bear watch

2 days in Vancouver

This is round trip Seattle?? I have sailed in this timeframe many times.

With your marine wildlife priority, I suggest you park yourself with outside front views, the entire second day- with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. You have a good chance of getting a look at some humpback migration. Also very likely humpbacks in Dixon Passage and Snow Pass.

If you post your actual itinerary, you could get more details.

As mentioned- if you are fixed on this itinerary- be aware if you do happen to sail Tracy Arm- it is about certain you will have no glacier viewing, you are too early in the season. If open to change, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier would both offer you far more glacier viewing with Glacier Bay a wildlife jackpot.

This is round trip Seattle?? I have sailed in this timeframe many times.

With your marine wildlife priority, I suggest you park yourself with outside front views, the entire second day- with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. You have a good chance of getting a look at some humpback migration. Also very likely humpbacks in Dixon Passage and Snow Pass.

If you post your actual itinerary, you could get more details.

As mentioned- if you are fixed on this itinerary- be aware if you do happen to sail Tracy Arm- it is about certain you will have no glacier viewing, you are too early in the season. If open to change, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier would both offer you far more glacier viewing with Glacier Bay a wildlife jackpot.

In 2013 CCL will have only one ship and itinerary - Seattle, Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle on Tue to Tue.

Thanks everyone for the most helpful comments. I'm quite embarrassed that I put the wrong date in the title, and thanks for the correction Host Mitchell. I guess I'm just that excited to go. <grin>

Bonvoyagie - Yes, we are going into Seattle a few days early, Saturday in fact, so we'll have a couple days to explore. I've been to Seattle once and can't wait to spend a couple leisurely days there again. Your comments and web link were very helpful...I've saved them out to my planning folder. Yep...I'm one of those people.

Budget Queen - We've booked the after rear view balcony just so we can park ourselves out there and watch as we sail. I imagine we'll get lots of quality time out there, especially since we like colder weather. I may leap if I see a whale! (Just not overboard...hopefully.)

A couple of you have mentioned the fjord being iced over, which I didn't know. If I had my druthers I'd probably changed, but I've been balancing budget and time, especially with the start of a new job last March. It looks like it'll have to be sometime in May, so I tried as late in May as possible. Maybe next time I'll get it later in the season.

Thanks again everyone for your most helpful comments. I'll hope to see more!

Regards,

Danny

i have seen many humpback whales and orka's on my alaska cruises. i have toured with capt.larry in jueau and seen them every time. also there is harv and marv as well as the ship tour in juneau. they book quickly so book as soon as you can. i already have reservations for capt.larry for sept 2013. it will be a bit chilly in may but the views are awesome. the waterfalls are starting too flow and the wildlife is waking up and roaming around. you will love your cruise going through the arm and sawer glacier. i have never seen the glacier up close unless i booked the ship tour too get up closer too it. but the fjords you will see during the are beautiful. i know you will have a wonderful time.

Thanks everyone for the most helpful comments. I'm quite embarrassed that I put the wrong date in the title, and thanks for the correction Host Mitchell. I guess I'm just that excited to go. <grin>

Bonvoyagie - Yes, we are going into Seattle a few days early, Saturday in fact, so we'll have a couple days to explore. I've been to Seattle once and can't wait to spend a couple leisurely days there again. Your comments and web link were very helpful...I've saved them out to my planning folder. Yep...I'm one of those people.

Budget Queen - We've booked the after rear view balcony just so we can park ourselves out there and watch as we sail. I imagine we'll get lots of quality time out there, especially since we like colder weather. I may leap if I see a whale! (Just not overboard...hopefully.)

A couple of you have mentioned the fjord being iced over, which I didn't know. If I had my druthers I'd probably changed, but I've been balancing budget and time, especially with the start of a new job last March. It looks like it'll have to be sometime in May, so I tried as late in May as possible. Maybe next time I'll get it later in the season.

Thanks again everyone for your most helpful comments. I'll hope to see more!

Regards,

Danny

As I mentioned- since you didn't know about Tracy Arm- it certainly is not too late for a change- if a consideration. Otherwise, I only recommend an add on ship tour of Tracy Arm which is grossly superior to any cruiseship transit and what I consider "necessary". Aft isn't really the place to be with wildlife viewing, you are far better off tracking from ahead. You mentioned a whale priority- I would still suggest you do some forward viewing the afternoon/evening of your first sea day. It's about a given to run into some humpbacks. I also recommend a whale watch out of Juneau- 100% sightings of humpbacks.

Great to read how excited you are. We were too when we went. I second the option for a seperate Tracy Arm tour if you can swing it. You will see som much more and get much closer than on the cruise ship.

If you want a great personal tour experience in Skagway I hightly recommend Beyond Skagway Tours as you can customize you day or half day to cover what you want. Check it out by searching the name see what you think. Becky lives in Skagway year round so she would know what is the best for that time of year and your priorities.

Have a wonderful time!!!! Anticipation is half the fun.

FYI - I did a small boat tour around that same time this year and we couldn't get into Tracy Arm at all, we went into Endicott Arm. Many ships don't make it into Tracy Arm in May and many small boats don't either.

If you can change to a ship that does Glacier Bay - you will be better off IMO.

Congrats on your PhD!

I will definitely be doing some forward viewing then especially on the first few days. Thanks so much for letting me know about that as I wouldn't have known. I'm really learning very much from all of you and my little notebook is getting full already with things to keep in mind. I'm going to have fun over the next few months planning for this.

I've thought about changing the date, but as I expect we'll really love this trip I doubt I'll change the dates since they're already approved with work. However, this will be a good fact finding trip for us so that we'll be able to take a longer Alaskan cruise with all of the tips and trick you have all given me. We have family in Anchorage so one of the Land Sea tours would be a good idea for us as well.

Thanks again for all the input and guidance. The tour operator names have been really helpful too! This is such a great board...much nicer than some of the others that I've seen. :)

Regards,

Danny

Hi Danny,

Hubby and I cruised in the same window this year (May 21 2012) and had great experiences whale watching.

We saw many whales while enjoying our balcony, and had a fabulous whale watching experience with Harv & Marv's in Juneau in Auke Bay. I highly recommend going out with H&M in their small boats (only 6 passengers!)

We had very nice weather. Some drizzle, but not too cold, and at couple of fabulously sunny and warm days. Our trip into the Yukon at Skagway took us through much snowpack, but culminated with 80 degree temps at Carcross, BC. I think you'll enjoy the May cruise.

We did do a north-to-south on Princess, so had cruising in both Yakatat and Glacier Bay -- the highlight of the cruise! If you can possibly swing it, you would love that itinerary.

Enjoy your trip :)

I will definitely be doing some forward viewing then especially on the first few days. Thanks so much for letting me know about that as I wouldn't have known. I'm really learning very much from all of you and my little notebook is getting full already with things to keep in mind. I'm going to have fun over the next few months planning for this.

I've thought about changing the date, but as I expect we'll really love this trip I doubt I'll change the dates since they're already approved with work. However, this will be a good fact finding trip for us so that we'll be able to take a longer Alaskan cruise with all of the tips and trick you have all given me. We have family in Anchorage so one of the Land Sea tours would be a good idea for us as well.

Thanks again for all the input and guidance. The tour operator names have been really helpful too! This is such a great board...much nicer than some of the others that I've seen. :)

Regards,

Danny

danny. carnival has a tour that gets up and really close too sawyer glacier if the ship cant make it. i loved this tour. you board a smaller covered boat with wonderful viewing decks right off the ship. we saw calving of the glacier and got soo close too waterfalls we could almost touch them. i found it under the juneau tours when i was booked. you will love your cruise. have a great time.

Since his current cruise does Tracy Arm first and then goes off to Skagway I doubt if there is a small boat option for him as they are usually with ships that do the Arm before or after Juneau.

In the past, Carnival has had as add on Tracy Arm boat tour. They load direct on/off the cruiseship.

danny. carnival has a tour that gets up and really close too sawyer glacier if the ship cant make it. i loved this tour. you board a smaller covered boat with wonderful viewing decks right off the ship. we saw calving of the glacier and got soo close too waterfalls we could almost touch them. i found it under the juneau tours when i was booked. you will love your cruise. have a great time.

Though realize there are times when small boats can't make it either. I have tried 2x via small boat to get to Tracy Arm in May (towards mid -to the end of May) and both times we have not been able to make it.

Just because you are in a small boat doesn't mean the small boat can make it.

Though realize there are times when small boats can't make it either. I have tried 2x via small boat to get to Tracy Arm in May (towards mid -to the end of May) and both times we have not been able to make it.

Just because you are in a small boat doesn't mean the small boat can make it.

i stand corrected. i was talking about my tour, in which case we did make it in and it was a great tour.

i stand corrected. i was talking about my tour, in which case we did make it in and it was a great tour.

I just didn't want the OP to think if they were in a small boat, they would make it even if the ship doesn't.

It is great you made it but a lot of May sailings do not.

All of the small boat options have a disclaimer about using Endicott Arm if Tracy is iced in. Besides the small boats have to follow the big ships. It appears that for 2013 Carnival will have only one ship in AK and according to their website there are no excursions for Tracy Arm - you are also not in Juneau long enough to take one of the Adventure Bound trips to Tracy Arm.

No matter what it sound like you have the right attitude about the cruise - relax and enjoy - and plan for the next one :D

I just didn't want the OP to think if they were in a small boat, they would make it even if the ship doesn't.

It is great you made it but a lot of May sailings do not.

i was very lucky too get my tour in :). it was the best tour i took on that cruise and it is sad that others do not have the chance too do it. i always wanted too go on the rafting tour in skagway but i figured it would be too cold that close too the water in may and sept.

Archived