What To Do When You Lose Your Passport Abroad

dakrewser

In the early 70's we were traveling in Italy when a couple we knew had their passports stolen. They had copies of their passports and went to the Embassy -- within 2 days they had new passports. The biggest wait was to have new pictures taken.

Since then we have always carried copies of our passports and extra pictures.

My daughter did lose her passport while in Germany - actually it was stolen. She went to an American consulate with new pictures and her photocopy of her passport and received a new one. We have learned to travel with several copies just in case luggage is ever stolen or my purse.

I lost mine in Japan. The embassy would not accept photos that I brought. I had them made at work, they were the size as the same as the US passport photos. For some reason they required a larger photo.

It took all day and I never want to go through that again. The new passport was only good for 1 year and had to be renewed in the US.

The article cited by the OP is pretty lousy in that it does not give enough information. For example, you do not necessarily have to go to the nearest Embassy. They should have mentioned that there are 7 US Consul offices or American Presence Posts scattered around France that can also handle emergency Passport replacements. As to their suggestion to "back up" your passport this will do little good if your backups are also stolen (happened to a friend of ours who had all their stuff stolen out of a rental car. They should have suggested scanning your main passport page into a computer file and keeping a copy on a readily accessible web site such as Hotmail. This way you can easily retrieve a copy of your Passport from any computer. And finally, they might have mentioned that in addition to the

Hank

The article cited by the OP is pretty lousy in that it does not give enough information. For example, you do not necessarily have to go to the nearest Embassy. They should have mentioned that there are 7 US Consul offices or American Presence Posts scattered around France that can also handle emergency Passport replacements. As to their suggestion to "back up" your passport this will do little good if your backups are also stolen (happened to a friend of ours who had all their stuff stolen out of a rental car. They should have suggested scanning your main passport page into a computer file and keeping a copy on a readily accessible web site such as Hotmail. This way you can easily retrieve a copy of your Passport from any computer. And finally, they might have mentioned that in addition to the

Hank

Can you cite a better one?

In the early 70's we were traveling in Italy when a couple we knew had their passports stolen. They had copies of their passports and went to the Embassy -- within 2 days they had new passports. The biggest wait was to have new pictures taken.

Since then we have always carried copies of our passports and extra pictures.

OK, on the other hand, under what circumstances SHOULD you keep your passport with you when you leave the ship?

<SNIP> They should have suggested scanning your main passport page into a computer file and keeping a copy on a readily accessible web site such as Hotmail. This way you can easily retrieve a copy of your Passport from any computer. And finally, they might have mentioned that in addition to the

Hank

It does... ;) From the linked article:

not to mention scanned the stuff and saved copies in your email.

OK, on the other hand, under what circumstances SHOULD you keep your passport with you when you leave the ship?

You should always carry your passport with you when you leave the ship, especially outside the US. While a copy does facilitate getting a replacement, the copy is no good if you want to board a plane or cross a border - or re-enter the US.

i only carry the original off the ship when required to do so by the country i am visiting. otherwise i carry a copy and have a scanned one available via email.

You should always carry your passport with you when you leave the ship, especially outside the US. While a copy does facilitate getting a replacement, the copy is no good if you want to board a plane or cross a border - or re-enter the US.

Here's where you and I disagree - unless it is mandatory that I carry my passport in a port - it stays in the safe on board - I carry my colour copy. I have no desire to have my passport stolen - it's far safer on the ship in the safe. If you are going to miss the ship in port (never happened to us than heavens) arrangements can be made to deliver your passports to the port master (or whatever the right title is). I've seen too many passports stolen. :eek: I prefer to leave it on board waiting for my return.

On our next cruise it is mandatory that we carry our passports in at least three ports - I am some nervous about this - even with the safety precautions I will take. I've never seen the need to take it if it's not required and don't;)

One should NEVER carry their passport in many Eastern European countries, specifically Russia.

Never.

The street value is so high the chances of being caught stealing them aren't a deterrent. And many police are on the take, so it doesn't even matter.

One should NEVER carry their passport in many Eastern European countries, specifically Russia.

Never.

The street value is so high the chances of being caught stealing them aren't a deterrent. And many police are on the take, so it doesn't even matter.

Agree - a Canadian passport is worth a LOT of money on the black market. Unfortunately - currently you are required to have your passport with you in Russia. And several other Baltic countries.

That brings up a good question. If you don't have your passport and miss the ship (perish the thought) and the mext port is in another country will you be able to travel there to re-embark? I'd think it would be very difficult if not impossible without a replacement passport.

We keep ours on us when off the ship, but we're very careful with them: no purses, backpacks, etc that can be easily snatched. Even then, though, they're still in danger from skilled thieves. Constant vigilance is necessary.

That brings up a good question. If you don't have your passport and miss the ship (perish the thought) and the mext port is in another country will you be able to travel there to re-embark? I'd think it would be very difficult if not impossible without a replacement passport.

We keep ours on us when off the ship, but we're very careful with them: no purses, backpacks, etc that can be easily snatched. Even then, though, they're still in danger from skilled thieves. Constant vigilance is necessary.

If you are going to miss the ship - they can get your passport out of the safe and deliver it to the port master (or whatever the right title is).

Why you should always carry that address and phone number with you.

Most times the ships will do it, but if you call (as you know you will miss it) you can take the question mark away - the stuff you need will be there waiting for you.

Agree - a Canadian passport is worth a LOT of money on the black market. Unfortunately - currently you are required to have your passport with you in Russia. And several other Baltic countries.

Russia's rules are (shockingly!) convoluted: They state you must have your passport but actually don't require (by specific law) you to have it on your person at all times. I travel for work to St Petersburg quarterly, know the game all too well.

It is not compulsory to carry the documents, but you should be able to prove your identity. If you can't the police get to bribe you to hell.

An embassy probably requests you to carry it for fear if being stopped and asked for ID (a very valid concern and Russiabs are required to have ID on them at all times).

YMMV, I however strongly advise against it especially if visiting via cruise ship.

Russia's rules are (shockingly!) convoluted: They state you must have your passport but actually don't require (by specific law) you to have it on your person at all times. I travel for work to St Petersburg quarterly, know the game all too well.

It is not compulsory to carry the documents, but you should be able to prove your identity. If you can't the police get to bribe you to hell.

An embassy probably requests you to carry it for fear if being stopped and asked for ID (a very valid concern and Russiabs are required to have ID on them at all times).

YMMV, I however strongly advise against it especially if visiting via cruise ship.

Well, thanks - BUT we will have to go through immigration and they require our passports:confused::confused: Once we are on the other side - we are kind of stuck holding on to them no? (sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread) We can certainly prove our identity but my understanding is only the passports are acceptable to enter - so I don't see how we get them back on the ship when we are on the 'other side'? thanks:)

It depends on which countries you are referring to. If you are in the general EU (the countries that participate in the EU and the pact regarding travel between them are a bit different and I don't recall the name of the pact offhand but some quick research can find it), then there probably wouldn't be a problem traveling. However, if you are in a country such as Russia and the next country is Finland or Sweden (not to mention most others, but I'm thinking cruise itinerary here), it would not be possible most likely.

The suggestion that you not carry your passport in Russia is not valid if you are on a cruise and participating in a tour. You won't get back aboard without your passport. Sometimes ships confiscate passports during check-in for cruises and hand them out when they are needed to go ashore on a tour. We've been on 2 cruises when this has been done. It's never been a problem so long as you realize that you'll be waiting in some sort of line to re-acquire it later for tours and/or disembarkation. It does make one pause for a minute though, thinking about handing over your passport to a complete stranger. I suppose you can choose not to do so, but then you'd likely be choosing not to cruise as well.

As with many things, deciding to carry or not carry a passport while ashore is a risk/reward type of issue; some find it worth carrying while mitigating the risk as much as possible, others don't see the need to take the risk but must be prepared to deal the usually unlikely possibility of being caught in a foreign country without it.

Hank

What a good idea! Learn something new again from this website. I will scan in our passports today.

Thanks for the tip.

We leave our passports in the safe onboard and carry our passport cards with us. I really don't know if the issued passport cards will actually work if one is stranded but I imagine they are better then a copy.
Work for what? They won't let you fly home ... or anywhere else! If you left the card in your cabin safe and carried your booklet, should you lose your booklet you can sail home. Should you miss the ship for some reason you can fly home or to the next port with the booklet.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Archived