New York City to Montreal on Navigator-sept 24 to oct 4--live

RachelG

Travel at, I think your autocomplete messed up your answer. I am thinking you DO want to eat in Sette mare.

As far as the drink service being slow to save on booze, no evidence of that at all. In fact, tonight in CR, they were refilling our glasses almost too much. I think it was just an in attentive server as I have not seen it again at all.

There are lots of people using the hot tubs and even the pool. This afternoon was sunny, though not that warm, but I saw people in the hot tubs.

I did not bring shorts, though I did bring one pair of capris and have worn them. With packing in mind, I would leave off the shorts. You do need a rain jacket/ windbreaker. Also a fairly warm fleece type jacket. Layers are really good. Today started off really cool and windy and ended up warm and sunny.

Anyway, to today. Is was a tender port, so not my favorite. We did our own thing today as George has been here many times in the past.

We took the park shuttle to sand beach then hike to otter cove. About 3 1/2 miles but we did further since there are a lot of side trails. Then we took the shuttle back to town and ate lunch and shopped.

The trees are definitely starting to turn here. Really beautiful, and should be spectacular in a week.

Hd to breakdown the ship at 2:30, so I did a bit of laundry then fell asleep and missed trivia. We had massage appts in the spa at 5:30. The best massage I have ever had. And I have had a lot.

Block party was tonight but we totally missed it as we were massaging.

Dinner in CR at a shared table. Great food and no shortage of wine at all.

Rachel or JackHawk...we are on your same cruise in 2013. Can you advise if port side or starboard is the "favored" side for the ports we'll be visiting..right now, we're on starboard but the ship is still wide open and we would gladly make a change if you think it advisable. Thanks for any advice you can give us. Keep your reports coming.

Awoke to another bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky.

In regards to temps, today the high was 61F and yesterday was exactly the same. It was 47F though this am when we left for our tour. So some sort of jacket is in order though you may not need it later. If you find a spot in the sun with no wind, it can feel warm, but it has been generally quite breezy.

We almost had an emergency this am. I set my Lrm and got up as soon as it went off. Took my time showering and getting ready for the day. The usual custom is for me to go up for my am tea and get George his veggie concoction from the juicer on the pool deck. I was just getting ready to do that when I glanced at my watch. It said 9 am. Our tour was to leave at 9:10. Major alert! I had forgotten to adjust the time ( we went 1 hr forward) on the alarm clock.

Anyway, I told George he had exactly 5 minutes to get ready, and he managed to do it. No tea for me, no veggie drink for him. We ran to the theater and got our bus tickets and were immediately on the way to Peggy's Cove.

A great tour, highly recommend it, lots of beautiful views on the way to and from. Our guide, a retired schoolteacher, was really good. She showed us all about lobsters, then we had gingerbread and tea or coffee, which was good since we had no breakfast.

We walked all over Peggy's Cove on our own. Found a grest little shop with local crafts. Bought maple syrup. Listened to the bagpipes.

Afterward, ack in Halifax, we went to bluenose restaurant as our guide recommended it. We were disappointed. This is a place for locals. They give you the whole entire lobsters. Just cut in half. All the creepy stuff is still there. We Oklahomans aren't used to that. So, it was an educational experience, but we need to probably stick to just the tail.

Anyway we walked along the boardwalk and had a good time.

Word to the wise, e sure and lea e time for the amazing shopping inside the cruise terminal. It is absolutely outstanding. A lot if not most of the cruise terminal shopping I have seen elsewhere is really cheap tacky stuff, mostly from china. Not in Halifax. This is a really classy shopping place. A lot of locals shop here. They have a great selection of very high quality unique, locally made stuff. I wished I had at least an hour longe as it really was that good, and the prices were very reasonable.

On board just at the last moment. I walked up top for an hour during sail away. Missed the gold/plat/titanium event which was a sol away party from the outside part of la veranda, but we had just eaten 2 hrs before. And I really needed to exercise. My favorite sail away is doing my laps up top, and tody ey were accompanied by bag pipes and drums from the dock.

Dinner in CR was perfect. Excellent food, and service was without flaw. Rapid wine service and quicke refills. Waiter was right there with every course, and he offered ground pepper. Apparently someone is paying attention to my concerns and requests because this was really perfect.

Thank you for another wonderful report. When we visited Halifax (while onboard Silversea 2 years ago) we took a private tour that included one of the cemetaries where Titanic victims were buried. It was an amazing tour. To this day they are trying to identify victims so they can inscribe their name on the tombstone. Coincidentally, while sailing through this area, there was heavy fog which meant that the soulful sound of the fog horn was ever present.

And yes, there were people using the hot tubs today. Not that I would. Also one guy swimming laps in the pool. Way to cold for me.

Well, I guess I will bring a swim suit just in case.....doesn't take much room although I doubt it will be used. Start packing Sunday for Tuesday flight. :)

Glad you enjoyed Halifax and Peggy's Cove...it makes me feel very happy to read nice reviews of your experience. I buy my lobsters at the Superstore next to the Dock and get them to steam them. They will crack them and you can eat them right there in the store if you want...ha ha.

Today was very overcast. There was a forecast for rain, but fortunately, we avoided that.

Temp was in the high 50s but it is cool when there is no sun.

There was a huge " monstrosity of the seas" at the pier ,so we were forced to anchor. It was actually Eurodam. But a monstrosity as far as I am concerned.

Sydney is a nice small town. I like it a lot. We walked all around this am. It was a tender port due to the monstrosity of the seas so had to go shore and back with tenders. Very slow and the tender number 4 had a lot of diesel fumes that were really too much.

This afternoon we were supposed to go on tour to Fort Louisburg at 1 pm. So at 1 we were in the theater. Time passed, and passed. Eventually there was an announcement that the tours were late because the morning tours were delayed because emigration clears the ship late. Anyway, we finally got called at bout 1:50. So our tour was approx 1 hr late. We go to the fort at 3:10 and were told we needed to back at the bus at 4. This is crazy. The fort is huge, and very interesting. All sorts of exhibits and demonstrations. You could spend an entire day here, and we had 50 minutes. It was really disappointing because we could see everything we were missing. The fort is worth a lot of time. We barely scratched the surface.

The fort was great, but I was so disappointed at our short time. Not fair to us at all, since the morning people got their full tour time.

Dinner was with the GM, Davor. He is really a very nice guy and very interesting. We had fresh mussels loaded on yesterday and fresh lobster loaded on in bar harbor. It was outstanding.

Yes, I was happy not to have to separate innards from my lobster, not that I am scared of innards. Just prefer to not have them on my dinner plate.

Anyway, awoke this am to very overcast skies. Looked like it could pour at any second. It was extremely humid and in the upper 60s so felt pretty warm. In fact, I changed clothes after I had my initial walk around up on the top deck since it was so warm.

Our walking tour of Charlottetown was not till 10:55, so we had a little orientation walk on our own. They were having a farmers market day in the downtown and just setting up for that.

Charlottetown is a very prosperous appearing town, extremely well kept. I really liked it. We walked past one of the many churches as the call to worship was being played on the church steps by 2 young men playing bagpipes. It was one of the amazing, really too cool to be real moments. They allowed us to take their picture, and it am sending it to our pastor at home. It was just spine tingling.

Met up for our walking tour in the cruise terminal. The other option was a horse drawn carriage tour, and it was probably better. Our guide was nice but not terribly engaging. The lady driving the horses saw George with his cowboy hat and asked him to help her with some minor adjustments. I think that tour would have been better.

Anyway, we walked around and got a good overview the went ack and checked out the farmers market and had lunch at Gahan's brewery and pub. Mine was great. Goerge's, not so much, but they took it off the tab.

Then hiked over to Victoria park and had a brisk walk walk along the boardwalk. George kept telling me to walk faster as it was going to pour at any second. I was practically running, but we did about 4 miles at a quick pace. Then walked back to the ship. As we got a on board, the heavens opened, and it poured---and poured--- and poured. I feel sorry for those with afternoon tours!

Anyway, we went to trivia. I dragged George, but we came in 2nd having joined up with a couple of Aussies and a Brit. And George knew one answer that no one else on our team knew, so he doesn't feel stupid anymore and Agrees to go again. What was the name of the inn in treasure island?

Had dinner in Sette mare. Great food and service. I am again stuffed as a pig. Travelcat2, if you are reading, they have that veal with tuna sauce thing that you like so much, and it really is that good. They do change up the menu a little from night to night, so there is some variety.

Yes, I was happy not to have to separate innards from my lobster, not that I am scared of innards. Just prefer to not have them on my dinner plate.

Anyway, awoke this am to very overcast skies. Looked like it could pour at any second. It was extremely humid and in the upper 60s so felt pretty warm. In fact, I changed clothes after I had my initial walk around up on the top deck since it was so warm.

Our walking tour of Charlottetown was not till 10:55, so we had a little orientation walk on our own. They were having a farmers market day in the downtown and just setting up for that.

Charlottetown is a very prosperous appearing town, extremely well kept. I really liked it. We walked past one of the many churches as the call to worship was being played on the church steps by 2 young men playing bagpipes. It was one of the amazing, really too cool to be real moments. They allowed us to take their picture, and it am sending it to our pastor at home. It was just spine tingling.

Met up for our walking tour in the cruise terminal. The other option was a horse drawn carriage tour, and it was probably better. Our guide was nice but not terribly engaging. The lady driving the horses saw George with his cowboy hat and asked him to help her with some minor adjustments. I think that tour would have been better.

Anyway, we walked around and got a good overview the went ack and checked out the farmers market and had lunch at Gahan's brewery and pub. Mine was great. Goerge's, not so much, but they took it off the tab.

Then hiked over to Victoria park and had a brisk walk walk along the boardwalk. George kept telling me to walk faster as it was going to pour at any second. I was practically running, but we did about 4 miles at a quick pace. Then walked back to the ship. As we got a on board, the heavens opened, and it poured---and poured--- and poured. I feel sorry for those with afternoon tours!

Anyway, we went to trivia. I dragged George, but we came in 2nd having joined up with a couple of Aussies and a Brit. And George knew one answer that no one else on our team knew, so he doesn't feel stupid anymore and Agrees to go again. What was the name of the inn in treasure island?

Had dinner in Sette mare. Great food and service. I am again stuffed as a pig. Travelcat2, if you are reading, they have that veal with tuna sauce thing that you like so much, and it really is that good. They do change up the menu a little from night to night, so there is some variety.

Nice that you spent some time in my childhood town....we walked that Boardwalk most days after dinner even before it was made of wooden planks.....your post made me homesick...Thx

First, tallship,I loved you hometown. What a nice place and how lucky you were to grow up there. George wants to know how such a small town can be so prosperous.

Lots of motion from the sea last night. We enjoy a gentle rock from the sea, but about 2 am there was a loud thunk. Then something seemed to be rolling back. And forth and making a thud each time. Finally I gave up and turned on the light to investigate. A coke can in the fridge had fallen over and was rolling around. Also the phone was on the verge of dropping off the desk.

Anyway, I fixed both and we rocked on through the night. I got up and was ready to exercise, but it was still really rocky out and with a strong wind. The captain came on and said it would get much smoother at about 1 pm when we would enter the st. Lawrence seaway. So I decided to wait as well.

Had a good read on my iPad. Went to cooking class and learned quite a lot more than I expected. We had lunch.

Then had a good 11/2 hr walk around. Still windy but ok. Finished my book. Watched a movie. Cocktails and dinner with new friends. Then the cirque navigator show. It was very good.

Got to love sea days!

Archived