New York City to Montreal on Navigator-sept 24 to oct 4--live

RachelG

I read today somewhere locally here in Toronto that the colours up in Muskoka to the north of us, one of the prime leaf peeping areas, is at its peak right now, and the colours are unusually vivid this year. I'm thinking this is because of the awful drought we had this year.

So it will be interesting what you see going up the St. Lawrence in that regard. I know Montreal had a hot, dry summer as well, but not sure about downriver.

Cooking class was more of a cooking demonstration I suppose as the audience didn't do any actual cooking. But it was very educational and interesting. It was in the theater. They had a big table set up with cameras mounted above so you could see what the chef was doing very easily as it was projected on screens as well as what you could see directly.

They had a couple of induction burners set up, the work area, etc, and he did all the chopping and preparing there.

He made 2 different versions of a stir fried shrimp dish, with the same ingredients. But he demonstrated how the dish is totally changed by the way the ingredients are combined and prepared. We got to sample, and it was really good. They handed out recipes. I learned a couple of useful pointers that I will use for sure. The best one was about preparing garlic. You are supposed to take out that green part that is in the center of the clove. I never knew that, but apparently if you will remove it, you are much less likely to have reflux from a garlicky dish.

Rachel, very interesting about the garlic. Ron wants to know if big George attended the cooking class? We learned tonight that Regent has Limoncello stocked. We ate with the Chief Engineer and drank Lemoncello. Very good.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

No, big George did not attend the cooking class. Haha!

Today was bright and sunny in the am, a little overcast in the pm but no rain. We anchored in sagueney. A beautiful harbor with fall colors all around. Temps were in the high 50s to mid60s, comfortable. We had to anchor off the dock as a seabourn ship beat us there! Also there was a gigantic royal Caribbean ship anchored.

Anyway, we took tenders to the port where a very warm. Welcome awaited. All the townspeople were out to greet us in costume. We were given flags, maple candy,blueberry pie. Everyone was so nice and friendly.

Our excursion was a hike in the park, and it was really nice. Beautiful fall colors. The most exquisite leaves I have seen. Our guide said it will only last another 2 weeks or less, so hopefully those following us will get to see it. It really is spectacular. A nice walk too, though not that much of a hike by my standard.

Way too short. George went way up ahead so he got to see more.

In the afternoon, I had a nice walk all around the town to et my exercise. Prefer that when it is possible.

Dinner in CR with e other couple from Tulsa. We only live 2 miles apart. Have a lot of common friends. A very fun night.

Posting a little early as I don't know if I will still have Internet access after dinner.

Woke up this am to the sound of foghorns. Looked outside, and I guess we were in Quebec City, but who could tell? We couldn't see anything except dense fog. Temp was in upper 40s. Forecast said it would make it up to 62 and sunny, but things did not look promising. Went up top for my cup of tea, walked all around and still couldn't see a thing.

George and I have been here before. It is probably one of our top 5 favorite cities, and we had a plan. We took off walking. The ship terminal is right downtown, so no need for shuttles, but you better love walking up and down stairs and cobbled streets.

We walked to the terrasse that goes in front of chateau Frontenac. They just replaced its roof with new copper, and it is really beautiful. Then over to the Plains of Abraham, and to the citadel to catch the 10 am tour. It is an active military base, so you can't jus t wander around on your own. But it is really interesting and worth doing. Again, to do this stuff, you have to be able to really walk and do MANY stairs, though someone in a wheelchair could do just the citadel tour part.

Lunch in the lower town at Le Lapin Sauté, which is a French restaurant that specializes in rabbit, though we didn't have any this time round. They have a cheese plate of local cheeses that is amazing. Also good lunch specials.

Had a tour in the afternoon which was outstanding. We had a really funny engaging guide who started talking in French. Everyone was trying to understand, and a few of us were trying to interpret as well as we could. Finally she had exhausted our French skills, so she laughed and switched to perfect English. She said yesterday, a lady got really mad because she thought her husband had booked them on a French language tour.

We went up the coast to a winery where they make ice wine. Beautiful trees with brilliant leaves on all sides. By this time, the fog had finally burned off, and the sun was bright. We had a tasting and good tour.

Then on to st. Anne waterfalls. Our guide was perfect as she did exactly what guides should do a places like this. She pointed us in the right direction and said be back in an hour. Loved this place. There are 3 swinging bridges going over at different levels of the falls. Goerge and I and I think one other couple were able to do all 3. Most people did 2. For those not able to walk well, there is a golf cart with driver which will take you to a couple of good overlooks. It was really a nice walk. Surrounded on all sides by brilliant trees and the huge falls underneath or beside. Our guide got a great tip.

Tonight is crew capers, then dinner and packing. I am delaying that till the very last minutes.

Tonight is crew capers, then dinner and packing. I am delaying that till the very last minutes.

Oh dear! Packing so soon. Your cruise seems to have gone by so quickly. Enjoyed your reports though especially because they were from places people don't often report from. We will miss them.

Rachel, Tom is spot on, plus you're creative writing style is simply fun to read--succinct/entertaining--thanks for taking us along. Look forward to sailing with George and you on our Spring crossing in April.

Awoke to a foggy grey day, appropriate for having to get off the ship. Customs cleared the ship at 8 am promptly, and our group was called first. Weirdly, we got off on deck 7, then had an uphill slog though multiple corridors to the arrivals hall. Quick through Canadian customs.

Taxi to airport is a fixed rate $40. Took us about 25 min, but we didn't have traffic issues which I hear can be bad at times. So allow longer.

No lines to check in or go through US customs at all, so we were at the gate in less than 15 min. If you have a later flight, you definitely would need to plan for much longer. We have been here before where the US customs line was 45 minutes. Now they have installed global entry here, which we have, but there was no wait today even in the regular customs lines.

Random thoughts: we were in 629. I was skeptical that I would like this location as if you look at the ship diagram, it is pretty close to the elevator. I thought it might be noisy. Wrong, was totally quiet, and I loved being in the middle of everything. Would pick this location again in a second.

Balcony vs no balcony. For this trip, it was mostly too cool for me to sit out on the balcony much. I think I did so twice, but what we really like is the extra view and light through the sliding glass doors vs a window. For us, we would pick the balcony for sure, but if the difference in cost is prohibitive, I would say just take the window suite which is identical in every other way. You will still have a great cruise.

Crowding-- the ship was completely full with no empty suites at all, but I never felt crowded a bit. Only once, when a bunch of tours came back at the same time did the pool deck dining area get a little tight because it was 1:30 and everyone was trying to eat at the same time.

Service in dining areas was for the most part very good, with the exception of the slow wine on the first night in CR. I have no substantive complaints. Food was of high quality, and mostly well prepared. George's steak last night was a perfect medium, and he is quite picky about steaks. The exec chef, guido, was the same as was on mariner during the South America cruise this past spring, and he runs a tight kitchen.

Our room stewardess was sweet as can be, but she never really "got" our routine. We usually dine early in the evening, then George goes back to the suite while I am out an about as he doesn't do shows. But nearly every night, she had not serviced our room when he got back at 8 or 8:30. Not a big deal, but you would think she would figure that out after a while.

I have to admit (and I know most will not agree), navigator has really grown on me. Voyager is still my favorite,but I like navigator better than mariner for sure. We will be back on for a family trip in January.

I do appreciate all your well wishes. If anyone has specific additional questions, I will be happy to answer.

Rachel, thanks for all your reports. Nice to hear about some Canadian ports for a change. I like the Navigator but I have never been on it for more than 14 days so don't know how it would be for a very long trip. I never found it crowded.

Also meant to add, we did not do any extra cost tours this trip. There was a cooking course in Charlottetown that I would have enjoyed, but I knew my husband would never go for that. The included tours were just fine, and a couple were really outstanding.

Rachel,

I enjoyed reading your posts and am happy you had such an enjoyable cruise. Welcome home!

We are interested in dining at Sette Mari--especially if our favorite waiter, Alberto is assigned there. We love Italian food (except veal).....were there any dinner choices there that stand out in your memory? (Any idea where I can get a look at a menu?) I know that it's a fairly new dining venue, so if anyone out there can list/remember some of the choices, I'd love to know about them!

Also, do the dining rooms start dinner service at 6:30 p.m.? I am assuming we would need to present ourselves early in order not to wait? (That's no problem with us, as we like to eat early).

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us!:)

Dining rooms open for dinner at 6:30.

In Sette Mare, unlike Prime 7, there is some variation in the menu. There are some things that are there all the time, like the cioppino and veal scallopinine, but other things change. I really like the risotto with asparagus, but I am a risotto and an asparagus addict, so any dish that combines me is tops in my mind. You can order the pasta dishes as small portions or as large main course portions. The pastas are cooked to order, so really good.

Archived