Royal Caribbean please read!!!

One month ago my wife (cruising grandma) and I were boarding the Allure OTS.

This was the Isaac shortened 5 night cruise.

I have had a month to reflect on what happened.

I do not think Royal Caribbean got the credit they deserve for what they did for us.

The weather is something they can not control.

Cruising during hurricane season is always risky.

The Allure OTS would have made it to Fort Lauderdale on time even with Isaac coming.

The port was closed and they had to stay at sea.

Even though Royal Caribbean DID NOT HAVE TO, this is what they did for us:

Onboard credit.

Hotel stay for 2 nights up to $125 per night.

Food allowance for 2 days of $100 per person per day.

Transportation from hotel to cruise ship.

10% of cruise paid toward future cruise.

For my family, this is a lot of money.

Royal Caribbean could have said, "read your contract".

Instead, Royal Caribbean took care of EVERYONE.

Our cruise was only shortened 2 nights, but Royal Caribbean spent millions of dollars to do what was right.

I want Royal Caribbean to know, I am thankful for what they did for my family!!

I hope other people on our cruise feel the same way!!

Let Royal Caribbean hear from you!

In closing, let me paraphrase:

What can YOUR cruise line do for you?!

I was not on any of the sailings effected by Isaac, but from what I read, I must agree that RCI was more than fair in their compensation to passengers. Personally, I would have been very pleased with this kind of customer care. Especially knowing they didn't have to do any of it! Kudos to you for your perspective, and to RCI for appreciating and treating their guests very well.

THANK YOU for writing positive comments! I get so sick and tired of only hearing and reading complaints that it is very refreshing to read compliments. Good job!

I second this. There have been a few great posts recently praising RCCL and their efforts.

Thank you so much for giving RCI the credit that they deserved for their efforts to take care of everyone in that situation!

We were booked to sail on the Enchantment the day after Wilma struck. We flew Southwest Airlines and they waived all fees for flight changes. Royal sent the Enchantment to Cancun to help evacuate people stranded in Cancun after the hurricane. I am sure some of them needed the beds to travel as opposed to an airline seat...and since the Cancun airport was closed...

Our cruise was switched to the Majesty and we were compensated for the differences.

In conjunction with that cruise we had a timeshare trade in Florida and the Timeshare company would not switch our reservation without penalty. The place where we had reservations was closed...no electric, no water...nothing, no occupancy! So, we had to pay to switch that reservation to Orlando. Our travel insurance paid the fees but the point is...not all companies are willing to accomodate people when an act of nature intercedes.

John,

I never post on these main boards, but for you - anything! :D

I'll post it to FB for you and email you with any feedback.

So glad we got to meet on the crazy sailing that was ours, and yes, we were VERY fortunate because they didn't need to do a thing for us. And it was STILL a great cruise! :)

We were also on the 8/26 'Hurricane Isaac' Allure cruise and are also very happy with the way RCI took care of us. We received a $650 refundable OBC (we had a negative balance at the end of the cruise and got a credit on our credit card), we were reimbursed for our meals, we were treated to 2 nights at the Embassy Suites in FLL on RCI's tab, and we're getting a Future Cruise Certificate for 10% of what we paid for our cruise. While we were terribly disappointed that we lost 2 nights of our cruise on Allure (our first time on one of the big girls!), we were happily surprised with the care from RCI. It made the situation better. And we're very grateful for what RCI did for us.

The only complaint that I think is valid is that lots of folks on our cruise had a hard time getting the info/details/plan by phone. People spent long hours on hold, some people were promised a call back and never got it, and in general, it seems that RCI was not prepared to handle the volume of phone communications that had to be made. BUT this situation may have a silver lining since it had to be a learning experience for RCI - now they know what's involved when an incident such as this one occurs. I'm confident that they will come up with a contingency plan that will provide more staff on short notice to man the phones the next time something like this happens.

We agree, John! THANK YOU RCI! YOU TOOK CARE OF US WELL AND YOUR GENEROSITY IS APPRECIATED!

And...if I had to guess...I think that most of us will be back for another shot at a 7 nighter on Allure...our 5 nighter was only a tantalizing taste...so the investment in customer satisfaction will pay off.

Judy

RC was very generous, glad you and your family have a positive attitude!!

I am sure there are a few who have opposite opinions on this because their cruise was shortened by 2 days. This has to be expected when cruising during hurricane season, anything can happen when Mother Nature is in charge!

We were caught in Hurricane Frances back in 2004, we had just the opposite of being out to sea 2 extra days. Again RC stepped up and gave everyone free computer access, free ship to shore to call home or airlines.

Thanks for posting!!! :)

will probably complain about how much RCI did for those folks and how RCI is taking it out on them to make up the lost $$$$ by not providing pillow chocolates, or making them

check out towels at the pool or some other frivilous complaint.

Kudos to RCI and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. Nice to hear positive feedback. And props to Royal for taking such good care of thier customers. I am sure they gained a lot of Loyal to Royal customers for doing the right thing. Wishing you smooth sailing on your next cruise.:)

We were among the lucky ones who got the 9-day cruise the week before you. We felt a little sorry for the people getting a shortened cruise. It's good to hear that Royal cares about customer service more than the letter of the cruise contract.

We were also treated well on our cruise. The soda package was honored for the additional days (at no additional charge), and we also got to keep the Royal Connect phones until the last night. The shows were repeated so we still had entertainment. There was no change in the level of service.

I'll be cruising Royal again next year! :)

It is wonderful seeing someone post that they APPRECIATE what RCCL has done for them when they didn't have to. Thow many people feel the need to complain when they in fact have no right to. It is written clearly on their contract that they are not responsible for weather related inconveniences. Thank you for posting this!

Archived