Dick the dog on 9/16 Freedom cruise

lance32

Do yourself a favor and look up "Service Animals" and the services they provide and types of people that required the services. You realize you are saying that Wounded Warrior suffering from PTSD and requires a service animal in order to go out of his or her home is NOT deserving of such consideration? Get a clue and some compassion! I certainly hope you nor any of your loved ones find yourself in such a need. Bet you thing handicap parking is only a suggestion right?

Trust me I'm well aware of the definition of service animals, perhaps you should do some research before you flame me. Just calling your PET a service animal doesn't make it it a service animal. RCCL needs to defend the rest of us with allergies to PETS from these fake service animals and mis-guided individuals that want to feel good.

Trust me I'm well aware of the definition of service animals, perhaps you should do some research before you flame me. Just calling your PET a service animal doesn't make it it a service animal. RCCL needs to defend the rest of us with allergies to PETS from these fake service animals and mis-guided individuals that want to feel good.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

I think that you both understand what a TRUE service animal is. You are both passionate about this discussion, to the point that you are missing the fact that you agree that the is a need for true service animals. The issue is people who pass their pets off as service dogs, such as Ralphie a few months ago and this dog named Dick.

We had a daughter who passed this spring at 2 years of age who had upwards of 10 seizures a day for almost her whole life, and that was with medication. We knew not to travel with our daughter as her condition was severe, not to mention her Gtube, feeding bags, etc... Her condition was so severe that we knew not to travel and we accepted that fact. But there are some others that appear not too and push the limits of legit causes and have doctors who will sign a medical form with little hesitation.

People love their pets just as much as owners love their service animals. That being said there s a huge difference between a service animal and a pet. In my opinion once you start to dress your "service animal" in more than it's safety bib in public you are treating it like a pet, not a working dog. People need to know that is a working dog, not one that is looking for free rubs and an owner who is seeking attention. Legit service dogs and their owners are being done a disservice by the scammers who want the attention and do not want to leave the pets behind. Unfortunately these are the people that will spoil it for the ones who have true medical conditions.

I ride a Harley. I suffer from anxiety and depession if I don't get to ride my Harley several times a week. My Harley helps relieve stress and tension. Maybe I'll take my Harley on my next cruise. I'm sure I can get the local quack to write a letter for me. I can park it in the corridor with the wheelchairs that shouldn't be there either. :eek:

Parking the bike in the corridor - I like it! Your comment actually reminded me of a time I had to stay in a hotel in a bad neighborhood... I kid you not, I wheeled my bike (its a yamaha R6, sportbike) into my hotel room because I was NOT going to risk it getting stolen! :cool:

Rather than taking my hubby's bike with us on the cruise, we're doing the next best thing: booked the "Harley Ride in Paradise" excursion to ride around St. Maarten! :D

I think that you both understand what a TRUE service animal is. You are both passionate about this discussion, to the point that you are missing the fact that you agree that the is a need for true service animals. The issue is people who pass their pets off as service dogs, such as Ralphie a few months ago and this dog named Dick.

We had a daughter who passed this spring at 2 years of age who had upwards of 10 seizures a day for almost her whole life, and that was with medication. We knew not to travel with our daughter as her condition was severe, not to mention her Gtube, feeding bags, etc... Her condition was so severe that we knew not to travel and we accepted that fact. But there are some others that appear not too and push the limits of legit causes and have doctors who will sign a medical form with little hesitation.

People love their pets just as much as owners love their service animals. That being said there s a huge difference between a service animal and a pet. In my opinion once you start to dress your "service animal" in more than it's safety bib in public you are treating it like a pet, not a working dog. People need to know that is a working dog, not one that is looking for free rubs and an owner who is seeking attention. Legit service dogs and their owners are being done a disservice by the scammers who want the attention and do not want to leave the pets behind. Unfortunately these are the people that will spoil it for the ones who have true medical conditions.

All jokes aside, I think you said it best with that last paragraph of yours, and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

We are very sorry for your loss.

ITA that there are legit service dogs, then there are some not.

While I was taught not to judge a book by its cover, there are some covers that are fairly obvious a fraud and they do spoil it for the ones who truly need the services.

I was on this cruise. Here is a pic.

8032334251_6d7e442972_b.jpg

For those who "know" this is not a service dog....look at the photo. See the white tag hanging from the dogs harness? That looks "exactly" like the tag my daughter's service dog wears!

And just as a side note, the law does not say the service animal needs to wear it's vest or even the hanging tag.

Royal Caribbean, I assure you, has all the documentation it needs for the service dog. I know as I do my daughters paperwork.

For those who "know" this is not a service dog....look at the photo. See the white tag hanging from the dogs harness? That looks "exactly" like the tag my daughter's service dog wears!

And just as a side note, the law does not say the service animal needs to wear it's vest or even the hanging tag.

Royal Caribbean, I assure you, has all the documentation it needs for the service dog. I know as I do my daughters paperwork.

I'm not saying it is not a legitimate service dog, but can't those tags be easily forged? There isn't a government agency certifying dogs and handing out tags, is there? A google search for "service dog tag" gives me hundreds of people willing to sell me a tag or vest for my animal.

Can you explain to the board what documentation RCCL requires?

I personally know how hard it is for a parent to watch their child having multiple seizures daily. I also know how hard it is to lose a child. My heart feels for you and your family.

I'm not saying it is not a legitimate service dog, but can't those tags be easily forged? There isn't a government agency certifying dogs and handing out tags, is there? A google search for "service dog tag" gives me hundreds of people willing to sell me a tag or vest for my animal.

Can you explain to the board what documentation RCCL requires?

I send them, in advance, her graduation diploma, her photo and ID # along with her rabies certificate, and vets documentation of all shots. At check in they copy all of these again, so that the port has them, along with her international health certificate. Once we board we go to guest services who copies them again, so they have a copy. At each port you need to be prepared to show all papers, once again, if asked. A lot of paperwork and it must all be in order.

Does my daughter "look" like she needs a service dog? No. Does my daughter "need" to have a service dog? Yes.

Please don't judge people by how they look.

Under the ADA, "comfort," "therapy," or "emotional support animals" do not meet the definition of a service animal.

This was taken from the ADA website. I've been on ships with many imposter service dogs. It is very disturbing that someone would take advantage of a rule that was put in place for someone that is less advantaged.

I've emailed RCI in the past. They will not ask what service the animal performs even though they are allowed. The ADA clearly does not support "emotional/comfort dogs", but yet they still allow them on knowing that they aren't the real deal.

I'm thinking the stroller should be a dead giveaway.

Many of us have a severe allergy to animal fur. Reactions include breathing distress for which we carry an "eppy" pen. The reaction, without that tretement could be death. To be assigned a cabin where a prior passenger included an animal presents us a terribly dangerous situation as does sitting near one in a dining facility. While we are truly sympathetic to people who need a service animal, such must be balanced with our own health needs. As a suggestion, perhaps specific cabins and dining areas can be identified for persons who have a service animal or for persons allergic to them. This is already done for the benefit of smokers and protection of non smokers.

Many of us have a severe allergy to animal fur. Reactions include breathing distress for which we carry an "eppy" pen. The reaction, without that tretement could be death. To be assigned a cabin where a prior passenger included an animal presents us a terribly dangerous situation as does sitting near one in a dining facility. While we are truly sympathetic to people who need a service animal, such must be balanced with our own health needs. As a suggestion, perhaps specific cabins and dining areas can be identified for persons who have a service animal or for persons allergic to them. This is already done for the benefit of smokers and protection of non smokers.

Wonder why 2 cruisers who are highly allergic to dogs sat at our table with us in the MDR on our last cruise? :confused:

When I asked them if we should move, we understood and would gladly move to another table. They BOTH told us no, please sit with us. I said but you are highly allergic and they told us that as long as they didn't touch and pet our dog it would not be an issue.

I can't say how effective Yorkies would be as a service animal (since they ARE indeed cute little yappy dogs) but I could see the monkey's value as a service animal for those who are mobility challenged or impaired. I was bored so I googled it and apparently, monkeys are widely used for quadriplegia, multiple sclerosis, diabetic neuropathy, Lou Gehrig’s disease, and polio afflicted persons. I, myself, have trouble opening jars and cans on occasion, and since I'm fresh out of monkeys, I get my specially-trained-service-husband to do it for me... with a few toddlers in our home, we don't need to add more monkeys to the house! :D But for those people who have legit issues that require service animals of any sort, I wouldn't begrudge them that extra help that an animal can provide. I think that there might always be those who abuse the system, and that's too bad. I'd like to see someone who actually uses a service animal put the abusers in their place!

Monkey's do NOT have public access rights. And, emotional support or therapy dogs do NOT have publice access rights. Only dogs and minature horses have public access and MUST mitigate a physical or health issue for the handler. These animals owners are covered by the ADA [American with Disabilities Act], governed by the Department of Justice. This is FEDERAL law which trumps any local law in your state.

There is a thread on the Cruise Critic Boards. "Cruising With a Service Dog", located in "Disabled Cruising" and will explain all the laws and everything you ever wanted to know about the service animal and laws that cover it.

Please take your good questions there.

Let me first say that I am very sorry for your loss...it is something I can not imagine but fear every day. My daughter is 24 and is severely disabled and has been since birth. This is why I am so passionate about these topics. I hate seeing people talk about subjects that they are not impacted by every day of their lives.

We travel with our daughter because it brings her so much joy and cruising is her favorite! We of course come armed with an arsenal of medications and treatment options and have been lucky enough to travel on occasion with our very own Paramedic (friends of the family).

At the end of the day we all need to look past the "look" of a person or service dog and assume the dog is needed for reasons that we may not understand or agree with but is a real need all the same. Compassion and Understanding.

P1030536.jpg

Here you get. a good view of his offical tags.This picture was. on a bridge tour.

You've got to kidding, right? You loose all rights to be considered a service dog when you put sunglasses on the dog.

Are you talikng about the official service animal tags that can be purchased on-line for $4.95 or the ones I can make at home with my color printer for about 20 cents?:p

A classic case of a pooch and an owner that should never have been allowed to board.

I was on the same FOS cruise last month, and saw this dog several times in the Promenade.

It was a little pudgy I thought, and questioned the funny get up (different sunglasses each day, and sometimes a superman cape :rolleyes:).

I did not approach the dog, or owner, but several times I noted people and kids surrounding the dog and owner and wanting to pet it. (the dog, not owner) ;)

The owner seemed to like all the attention. (typically, you are not supposed to interfere with service dogs)

I made no judgement for the reasons given in the posts below. I didn't know the true nature of the service that the dog gave, nor was it my business to find that out.

I am confident that RCI did it's job to ensure that the dog was in fact required, and has all its shots, etc..

It did make me miss our pets at home - a 5 yo Yellow Lab, and 15 yo tabby cat. (for which we pay considerably for their care while on a cruise).

...People love their pets just as much as owners love their service animals. That being said there s a huge difference between a service animal and a pet. In my opinion once you start to dress your "service animal" in more than it's safety bib in public you are treating it like a pet, not a working dog. People need to know that is a working dog, not one that is looking for free rubs and an owner who is seeking attention. Legit service dogs and their owners are being done a disservice by the scammers who want the attention and do not want to leave the pets behind. Unfortunately these are the people that will spoil it for the ones who have true medical conditions.

First, sorry for your loss. :(

You make a good point with your last paragraph.

...At the end of the day we all need to look past the "look" of a person or service dog and assume the dog is needed for reasons that we may not understand or agree with but is a real need all the same. Compassion and Understanding.

Also very true.

Wonder why 2 cruisers who are highly allergic to dogs sat at our table with us in the MDR on our last cruise? :confused:

When I asked them if we should move, we understood and would gladly move to another table. They BOTH told us no, please sit with us. I said but you are highly allergic and they told us that as long as they didn't touch and pet our dog it would not be an issue.

Allergies, like needs for a service dog, vary from person to person. For example, some people are allergic to fur only on direct contact while others are sensitive when exposed to airborne particulate. The term allergy, like the term service animal, is generic and only the individual involved is the measure of need.

A person can have a friend that is a doctor write a need for a "service animal" take gives the appearance of being legit. No one is going to question a doctor's advice. Heck... you can go to a doctor when you are well to get a note excusing you for missing work. Plus, as people have said you can get the ids and tags online since there is no certifying agency. Thanks to frauds and scam artists we will probably see another layer of government to handle it. Not judging and taking people at their word in the face of evidence denoting fraud is why so many people get taken advantage of. It is okay to see a scam srtist and call them out on it.

I send them, in advance, her graduation diploma, her photo and ID # along with her rabies certificate, and vets documentation of all shots. At check in they copy all of these again, so that the port has them, along with her international health certificate. Once we board we go to guest services who copies them again, so they have a copy. At each port you need to be prepared to show all papers, once again, if asked. A lot of paperwork and it must all be in order.

Does my daughter "look" like she needs a service dog? No. Does my daughter "need" to have a service dog? Yes.

Please don't judge people by how they look.

But are you required to send the graduation diploma and id # information, or do you just volunteer the information so there are less questions? What is this ID#? Is it from the facility she graduated from/was trained at?

I never said anything about this person or any person using a service animal, so I hope the judge comment was directed at all and not to me. I'm just trying to understand the finer details.

But are you required to send the graduation diploma and id # information, or do you just volunteer the information so there are less questions? What is this ID#? Is it from the facility she graduated from/was trained at?

I never said anything about this person or any person using a service animal, so I hope the judge comment was directed at all and not to me. I'm just trying to understand the finer details.

The first time we cruised with her they asked for documentation, this is what we sent and since then we send it automatically (along with the special needs form that Royal Caribbean e-mails us to fill out).

The ID# and photo card was issued at the facility she was breed and trained at. The comment about not judging people by the way they look was for everyone (at times I even have to remind myself of this). I hope I didn't offend.

The first time we cruised with her they asked for documentation, this is what we sent and since then we send it automatically (along with the special needs form that Royal Caribbean e-mails us to fill out).

The ID# and photo card was issued at the facility she was breed and trained at. The comment about not judging people by the way they look was for everyone (at times I even have to remind myself of this). I hope I didn't offend.

May I ask if your daughters service dog is for her seizures? My daughter has had uncontrolled seizures her entire life. She takes 6 different seizures medications 3 times a day and STILL has 5 to 15 seizures daily. We often wondered about a "seizure dog" and wondered how successful they are at detecting on coming seizures.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Archived