Dick the dog on 9/16 Freedom cruise

lance32

I was on FOS 9/16-9/23 and a cruiser had his assistance Dog, But the Dog was the Hit of the Cruise did anybody else see the Dog, he had a new outfit every day, and wore sunglasses outside to protect his eyes. Very Nice man, not sure what the assistance was for but made this Cruise unique!!:)

Last summer (August 2011) we were on the Freedom and "Dick the Dog" was there then. He definitely was a hit. Seems Dick and his owner frequently travel on the Freedom (and other cruise ships on RCCL.... we talked to him at length. Apparently his owner (I forgot his name) is severely allergic to many foods. If you noticed his dog carries a pouch with instructions. "He said" his dog sniffs/tastes food to make sure it doesn't contain what he allergic too. By the end of the cruise, we were wondering if he (the owner) was completely on the up and up - not his allergies - but what he said about being in the armed forces, and ALL hhis medals. My brother in law thought some of his medals were hmmmm....

Anyway, very nice man and dog.... We had fun watching and talking to them.

I spoke with htis "gentleman" and he is a complete fraud regarding his military service. He is a liar and a fraud. I caught him in multiple lies nd when I pressed him further he contradicted himself even more.

I am not speaking nor will speak about his "condition" which allows his pet to vacation with him as I can't refute or accept his "medical" diagnosis. However, if one is a pathological liar about military service does that same person remain completely truthful when being granted an exception to bring a dog on a ship.

You make your own conclusions...

we sailed on Carnival last summer and met a guy with a service dog, beautiful animal (yellow lab) and very well behaved....the dog not the passenger. He talked about his military service and we came to the conclusion that it was all a lie. Not sure what this guy's issues were and we didn't want to passed judgement. We thought that the service dog was a companion service dog which assists people with their interaction with people in general. We called this gentlemen Philoctetes (from the Disney move Hercules) he looked exactly like him. :eek:

I spoke with htis "gentleman" and he is a complete fraud regarding his military service. He is a liar and a fraud. I caught him in multiple lies nd when I pressed him further he contradicted himself even more.

I am not speaking nor will speak about his "condition" which allows his pet to vacation with him as I can't refute or accept his "medical" diagnosis. However, if one is a pathological liar about military service does that same person remain completely truthful when being granted an exception to bring a dog on a ship.

You call yourself Poopbag ... ROFLMAO !!!! I love that.

Maybe he's confused. Wait a second are you the Mentalist

The answer to that is soooooooo obvious and corny that I can't bring myself to say where.:p:D

Ok...I WILL....the POOP-Deck of course.....:D

Actually they DO have a boxed area on an outside deck with the astro turf covering for the dog(s) to go potty...I have seen it several times on different ships...

We've experienced that with a few individuals on our cruises too. DH is a retired reserve US Navy Captain and likes to talk to veterans, especially those from WWII who really sacrificed a lot. Most are very humble and downplay their experiences. A few are obviously inflating their past for whatever reason. I don't even want to get into the "service animal" issue because personally I feel there are quite a few individuals who are abusing the system because no one is allowed to ask them about their pet.

We've seen the area reserved for animals to do their "duty". Most ports do not allow the animals to come ashore so I'm not sure what these individuals do without their "required" animal when they go ashore.

We've experienced that with a few individuals on our cruises too. DH is a retired reserve US Navy Captain and likes to talk to veterans, especially those from WWII who really sacrificed a lot. Most are very humble and downplay their experiences. A few are obviously inflating their past for whatever reason. I don't even want to get into the "service animal" issue because personally I feel there are quite a few individuals who are abusing the system because no one is allowed to ask them about their pet.

We've seen the area reserved for animals to do their "duty". Most ports do not allow the animals to come ashore so I'm not sure what these individuals do without their "required" animal when they go ashore.

I have a close friend who has a service dog so I know a bit about this topic. You are exactly correct that the system that allows a person to claim their animal as a service dog is subject to abuse. My friend's service dog is $20,000 golden retriever. It wears a distinct orange vest that identifies it as a service dog and the vest specifically warns people not to pet the dog. Periodically she must recertify with the dog. Part of the recertification insures that the dog remains focused on her and is not subject to outside distractions. If it fails she could lose her animal. Most people love dogs and find it difficult not to pet them. When my friends cruise, they even use an alias for the dog to insure it is not distracted by well-meaning passengers calling it by its real name.

You are correct that some ports, most notably Jamaica, will not allow service animals ashore. Cozumel and Labadee have not been a problem. So either she stays aboard the ship or finds someone dog sit while she is ashore. Her need for the dog exists primarily for when she is alone. Her husband does an adequate job of substituting for the dog when he is with her.

As some of you have commented, there is an area on the ship where a potty box is set up for a service animal. My friends must make advanced arrangements with the cruiseline to have this set up. However, it is not routinely astroturf, as someone suggested. Some dogs prefer the more organic sand, dirt or actual grass sod in the box.

There are people who are allergic to animals and certainly no one wants to around a yapping animal. I don't know how the airlines, cruiselines, restaurants, hotels and etc. can deal with the issue of bogus service dogs. There needs to be some well defined requirements to protect them from potential law suits. I understand the need for real service dogs but unfortunately, at present a doctor's note seems sufficient to reclassify a pet to a service dog. Separation anxiety, to me, doesn't make a service dog but I'm sure some would disagree with me.

I am all for service animals!! I love to see them with their masters as they are working. :)

A few months ago there was another thread about a service dog that was a little yapper and didn't seem to be quite legit. Does anyone remember that one? Forgot the name of the little princess. :rolleyes:

It seems that little yapper was very disturbing everywhere it went....CL, MDR, theater, even was heard in the cabin at odd times when the owner wasn't in the cabin. :eek:

I am all for service animals!! I love to see them with their masters as they are working. :)

A few months ago there was another thread about a service dog that was a little yapper and didn't seem to be quite legit. Does anyone remember that one? Forgot the name of the little princess. :rolleyes:

It seems that little yapper was very disturbing everywhere it went....CL, MDR, theater, even was heard in the cabin at odd times when the owner wasn't in the cabin. :eek:

If I am recalling the same thread, the dog also ATE OFF THE TABLE in the MDR. :eek:

Archived