This is the best forum on Cruise Critic

Azulann

Thanks to all of you regulars, I did not panic when I got the email this am from Delta that my flight was cancelled from MSP to FLL on Dec 18. And they rebooked me thru Atlanta on the same day with a 37 minutes layover.

Before calling the reservation numbers I researched all out bound morning flights from MSP direct to FLL , there weren't any. then researched a layover in Atlanta at least one hour or more with arrival in FLL in afternoon.

This is one day before my cruise on Dec 19.

When I called , I told the nice lady Katie that I did not accept the flights they now had given me. told her the flight I wanted, flight number and all.

She checked and said fine. She rebooked me. I even got my window seats.

No addtional charge. She did compliment me that I responded so quickly after I got the Delta email and I had done my homework.

She assured me that if the return direct flight from SanDiego to MSP on Jan 3 is cancelled or changed it would happen between 60 to 45 days out.

I did not want to be on my cruise if they decided to change my home flight at the last minute.

Thanks to all of you regulars, I did not panic when I got the email this am from Delta that my flight was cancelled from MSP to FLL on Dec 18. And they rebooked me thru Atlanta on the same day with a 37 minutes layover.

Before calling the reservation numbers I researched all out bound morning flights from MSP direct to FLL , there weren't any. then researched a layover in Atlanta at least one hour or more with arrival in FLL in afternoon.

This is one day before my cruise on Dec 19.

When I called , I told the nice lady Katie that I did not accept the flights they now had given me. told her the flight I wanted, flight number and all.

She checked and said fine. She rebooked me. I even got my window seats.

No addtional charge. She did compliment me that I responded so quickly after I got the Delta email and I had done my homework.

She assured me that if the return direct flight from SanDiego to MSP on Jan 3 is cancelled or changed it would happen between 60 to 45 days out.

I did not want to be on my cruise if they decided to change my home flight at the last minute.

As I posted on another thread this pretty much happened to us. I called Delta and was told because THEY changed the flight, I could pick what was good for us at no extra cost. The flights we have even cost more! I was shocked. I bet many people dont know this can be done. :)

They are actually obligated to do this. Although airlines tend to not know this rule. This is what I told on another thread: know your rights and what to do in situations like this.

My compliments for staying so cool headed. Lots of people I know would start panicking and doing all sorts of stupid things including the all famous 'worst airline in the world' threat.

It's never fun when your plans change, but you gotta take this into account when flying. Finally, I found someone who gets this. You're my new best friend ;D

Well, new friend, thanks for the compliment. ;)

I am nervous enough about the weather. In Minnesota, we could have ice, snow, blizzards. The last three winter were mild enough. Our airport does a good job, keeping the runways open, de-icing etc. that is why I booked an early morning flight , just in case.... I will have time to move to plan b,c etc.

I don't blame the airline, things happen. I have done all I can do.

Flying gets me to my distination and it is all about destination when you are beginning a vacation you have planned for over a year.:)

I have to agree about that this is the best forum. The posters on here gave me the confidence to book my flight using miles from LAX to Rome. Without the information and guidance it never would have happened. I had never done it before and the confidence of others made me do it. I ended up booking business class tickets and I had NO clue how to do it but they told me I could do it so I did. My thanks definitely go out to those that contribute to this particulate board. My mom thanks you too. :D

I am in awe of the expertise and normally, straightforward and honest, group of devoted posters on Cruise Air.

I am a frequent flyer, but not like the real stars here. Due to my location, it almost always Delta for us. I am no expert on the airline but I know Hartsfield-Jackson (Atlanta) better than my own home. No, my humble house doesn't have a new Terminal F, but the food is better.

Given all that, I am booking a post cruise flight with a 35 minute connection. I am also booking it knowing that chances are not good we will make it but there are five later flights the same day AND a schedule change is almost inevitable ergo one way or another we will get home.

Having medallion status also helps and those changes are far easier to make.

One rec for those of you flying Delta, or any airline, for the first time is to sign up for their frequent flyer program.

I always head to the Roll Call(s) first and Cruise Air second. This forum has made our travel lives so much easier.

One rec for those of you flying Delta, or any airline, for the first time is to sign up for their frequent flyer program.

I do not get to fly very much but was curious about why it is a good idea to sign up for the frequent flyer program? I get it if you fly alot, but is there a benefit for those of us who fly very infrequently?

(I do have a flight booked on AlaskaAir and did sign up for their program...)

I do not get to fly very much but was curious about why it is a good idea to sign up for the frequent flyer program? I get it if you fly alot, but is there a benefit for those of us who fly very infrequently?

Here's the skinny on FF programs for the infrequent traveler.

First off....many airlines require a FF number in order to access various online functions. Plus, it allows you to use mobile apps which can be quite useful.

Though it may seem as though you never get enough miles, think again. There are more miles earned through non-travel related activities than through actual BIS flying.

Major airlines have shopping portals where you can earn miles by starting there and then doing your online shopping. You can earn miles through dining programs, hotel stays, rental cars, flowers, and the big one....credit cards (and some debit cards as well).

Think of this....if you do $200 of online shopping a month, that's almost 5k miles in two years (if you get 1 mile per dollar, and many shops give you more). And that's just the portal bonus...if you put it on a mileage card, you "double dip".

Miles are a form of rebate. If you don't take advantage of it, then it's like you never sent in the rebate form from the drug store. Your choice, but since it costs you nothing to get the miles, why not take advantage of it?

PS: You will want to concentrate on one program. So think of where you will deposit miles over the next X number of years and travel accordingly. Don't just jump from airline to airline to save $10 when the value of those "orphaned" miles is greater than that. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. For example....on a transcon r/t, you'll earn roughly 5k miles. Call it 8-10k for a trip to Europe. At a value of $0.02 per mile, those FF miles on the transcon are worth $100. Why jump airlines to "save" say $40 and lose the value of the miles. To Europe, you'd need an actual savings of $160-$200 to offset the value of miles. And still more to Asia or Australia. Think of it as an alternative currency.

They are actually obligated to do this. Although airlines tend to not know this rule. This is what I told on another thread: know your rights and what to do in situations like this.

My compliments for staying so cool headed. Lots of people I know would start panicking and doing all sorts of stupid things including the all famous 'worst airline in the world' threat.

It's never fun when your plans change, but you gotta take this into account when flying. Finally, I found someone who gets this. You're my new best friend ;D

that rarely works. besides, air france is the worst anyway.

My thought about frequent flier programs is such - you never know when you're going to have to fly somewhere. Vacation, a wedding, a funeral, visiting the kids or grandkids, maybe a rare business trip or a conference...all can add up. Domestic tickets don't necessarily take many miles.

I always see people signing up for credit cards to get miles and perks and cruises. That impacts your credit, and can even cost money. Signing up for a FF program is free and nothing happens if you never use it. So...why not?

Thank you for explaining this...it makes sense now!

If you have any other questions or want some further "digging" just ask. It's an amazing "system" and has allowed me to score some great deals (such as a $10k business class ticket to the Seychelles for only 100,000 miles).

If you have any other questions or want some further "digging" just ask. It's an amazing "system" and has allowed me to score some great deals (such as a $10k business class ticket to the Seychelles for only 100,000 miles).

My fiancé and I are doing our honeymoon in Thailand. Two business class tickets worth about $22,000 for $150 out of pocket in taxes/fees (and 220k AA miles total) and plenty of miles leftover. Nice life if you can get it! ;)

Please understand that flights CAN and DO get cancelled and changed much closer than 60-45 days out, up to and including day of flight, so the rep you spoke to really has no grounds on which to assure you that it won't happen. This can happen for all sorts of reasons including weather and mechanical issues. AND, Delta may or may not notify you if it does. I had a flight cancelled year and didn't find out until I arrived at the airport for check in, even though I'm an elite level flyer with Delta and all of my contact info is in their system.

One thing to remember is that there are TWO types of cancellations that one can encounter. The first is when there is an overall schedule change and your specific flights are either rescheduled to a different time or eliminated completely from the airline's regular schedule. The other is when there is an operational issue, for example mechanicals or weather, where a specific flight on a specific date is either delayed or outright cancelled.

The first can be dealt with by keeping an eye on your reservations and making sure that you are aware of any changes that happen. The second is much more ad hoc -- you find out when you are sitting in the gate area (or possibly a bit before if you use mobile tools). In this case, only preparation with contingency plans can help.

I do understand that any mechancial or weather related cancellations can happen at any time. I was assuming the Delta rep was talking about cancellation due to a schedule change silmilar to the outgoing flight, and when it could happen concnering my return flight.

Yes, Delta has all my mobile information. I will be bringing my ipad and iphone on the cruise. So if the return flight gets changed so be it.

I would be fine with a blizzard on Jan3 in MN and will just have to sit in the sun at a San Diego hotel pool until it is over.:D

I do understand that any mechancial or weather related cancellations can happen at any time. I was assuming the Delta rep was talking about cancellation due to a schedule change silmilar to the outgoing flight, and when it could happen concnering my return flight.

Yes, Delta has all my mobile information. I will be bringing my ipad and iphone on the cruise. So if the return flight gets changed so be it.

I would be fine with a blizzard on Jan3 in MN and will just have to sit in the sun at a San Diego hotel pool until it is over.:D

Seize the moment! Last weekend I was set to fly Washington DC to Kansas City via Dallas, but AA cancellations struck my Dallas to KC flight several days ahead of time. When I called to rebook, they said "we'll put you up for Friday night. You can either spend it in Washington DC (National Airport, right by the city) or Dallas. Your choice".

Yeah...that was a tough decision ;) A few Belgian beers on DuPont Circle later and I was confident I had chosen wisely.

Archived