How to dress for Alaska in May ?

blmanke

We are going on the DIAMOND to Alaska in just 3 weeks !!

This time of the year are the women wearing white slacks and short sleeve blouses or is it not considered warm enough for summer wear ?

Am I better off packing fall and winter attire?

Do they wear good jeans in the daytime?

Do they have a Hawaiian theme one night? or is that just done in the Hotter locations?

Thanks for any and all ideas you can send...soon !!

"BARB & JOHN"

SITMAR

PRINCESS

CUNARD

CARNIVAL

RCCL

To Alaska on DIAMOND

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hell, it's not usually warm enough here in Boston to dress like that in May, it certainly won't be warm in Alaska in may, most of the time!

Bring layers, lots of layers. Fleece, sweaters, windbreakers, and rain gear. You'll probably need all of those at some time or another. And you'll be glad you have the sweaters onboard, as the dining rooms and other public areas are often A/C'd to the max.

Last year in mid-May it never climbed about the mid forties and there was a constant very COLD wind. Take something with a hood to block that out.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)

Carnival Inspiration

We were there the last week of May last year. I would guess it made it at least into the 50's most days (maybe 60's), but it was quite windy/rainy. Whoever suggested layers has the right idea...jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, rain jacket would be agood combo. Sometimes you only need the t-shirt, sometimes you better have all of the above and more (especially if you're cruising a glacier).

I don't remember a "Hawaiian" night, but that could depend on the cruiseline (we were on Celebrity).

I know you'll have a great trip...we really enjoyed it!

-Tracy

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - W. Caribbean (6/00)

Celebrity Mercury - Alaska (5/03)

RCCL Jewel of the Seas - N. Europe (6/04)

Weather is never predictable in Alaska.

We were in Juneau on the Legend of the Seas in late April 2002, the temperature was in mid 70's and stores all had their air-conditioners on. For the rest of that cruise, temperature were usually mid 60's.

Then last year, May 11 on the NCL Sky, it rained pretty much the whole cruise. Temperature around mid 50's.

Most people think choosing a later time in the Alaska cruising season like August or September may ensure much better weather are not quite correct. Temperature may be a little warmer then, but it may rain the whole cruise or you may have sunshine everyday.

I am sailing on the star to Alaska 6/13/04, we are planning for rain, but I sure hope it doesn't rain everyday. what do you think the odds are that the temp. will make the 60"s? It will be interesting to here from the people who are sailing in May.

Julie

Juliebug

I was on Sun Princess May 2002 and temp was record high 70s. It was warmer than back home in Michigan. On Dawn Princess May 2003, temperature was closer to normal. Take layers and something with a hood. Rains in Ketchikan almost every day so rain jacket helps. Glacier Bay is beautiful but windy -- several women were looking enviously at my gloves. Enjoy!

WE WENT TO ALASKA IN JULY 2002. IT WAS COLD!! RAINED ONE DAY (JUST A DRIZZLE)IT WAS REALLY COLD THAT DAY. KEEP YOUR FEET DRY OR YOU WILL BE COLD ALL DAY.IF YOU ARE CRUISING THROUGH THE GLAZIERS TAKE COAT, GLOVES, AND A HAT FOR STANDING ON DECK. HAD A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto on the July comment. We went on the Coral Princess July 26th 2003. We had a balcony and froze our A----S's off. We took ski jackets,gloves,hats etc and were darn glad we did. College Fjiord had a heavy drizzle all day mid 30's. BE PREPARED!!!!!

We are sailing in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/21/04 ISLAND PRINCESS HAWAII

We went 3 years ago and got off the ship on Memorial day. It was cold but not freezing. The highs were 55-60 and it even reached 75 the day we were in anchorage. The lows were like 35. The only place it is really freezing is when your ship is in the glaciers. There is a constant strong windy mist so it feels very cold.Bring a waterproof jacket and plenty of swaethers. Forget the heavy coat just LAYER in the glaciers. Have your winter scarf,gloves etc. I had a walking suit made of that parachute type material that was water proof that I wore in the glaciers. Jeans are fine for excursions in ports so bring them but I would not want to be wearing a pair of wet jeans in the glaciers. And the way that mist hits you-believe me-they will be wet and COLD. I also bought some of those 88 cents disaposable rain ponchos at Walmarts. They are small- fit in your pocket and much easier to keep up with then an umbrella. They sale them in the ports everywhere but there you pay $3.50 instead of 88 cents. For dinner you can wear even summer wear if you want-the ships have heat or bring your nice winter clothes for dinner wear and certainly velvet will be acceptable you see it all over on formal night.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas

Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean

HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska

RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas

Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda

Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean

Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

• 13 years later...

We went in mid-June in 2011. We left Milwaukee in 50 degree weather, found Alaska to be much like Wisconsin in the late spring. We brought our normal clothes :)

Jeans are something to take (which we don't take to the south). Jeans were acceptable pretty much everywhere on our ship and even in the MDR on non-formal nights.

Fleece. Think zip up type. Don't want to pack one? First port we picked up nice light weight zip up fleece jackets for a great price!

Vests. We bought great vests from a well-known Wisconsin based company (OK, Land's End) on line on end of season clearance. Paired nicely with our light weight fleece when we needed another layer. Pack great, can crush up.

Turtle necks (one or two, basic black) and one or two long sleeved t-shirts. Again, your base layer.

Formal nights, all us ladies and nice black pants and dressy tops. Men, dark pants, ties and such.

Hat and Gloves/Mittens we needed only during our day in Glacier Bay as we spent the entire day outside.

Rain Gear. We never pulled ours out, but if you are not going to be hiking in the woods a nice poncho or rain jacket will do the trick. If you are from warmer places, you might want a lined one.

Sturdy shoes.

I felt a bit bad for the folks from Texas, It was way colder for them than it was for our family. Of course, this weekend it will be in the 40's here and I am planning on seeing a few folks in shorts :)

The key is to layer.

It will likely be cool.

Waterproof jacket, fleece or sweatshirt or sweater, pants to keep you warm and a waterproof pair, gloves if you are cruising the glaciers and also a hat and scarf. At the same time bring other things should it be warmer and sunny.

Keith

Problem with Alaska is our weather changes so rapidly. I’ve had spring mornings where the sun was shining and it’s warm out (like in the 50s), and by that afternoon it will start snowing.

Layering is key, it can be cold but remember it does get hot here, if you’re headed to Fairbanks it could be 100 degrees in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did my Alaska cruise in May. My clothing needs varied. I spent a lot of the time in jeans and a t-shirt, although I should note that it was unseasonably warm--it was remarked on by an excursion guide that she usually has to wear her fake furs on her costume at that time of year. Around the glaciers, you'll need whatever you usually wear for snow and ice, basically. I had a hoodie with a coat over it, gloves, and a hat.

I always take a pair of UnderArmour Basic 1.0 lightweight long underwear as a base layer for those fast catamaran whale watching excursions in May. Next layer is long-sleeved shirt and cargo pants. Add a sweater, a mid-thigh Columbia jacket w/hood, and photographer gloves to complete my chilly day in May ensemble A rain poncho is always in my camera backpack as is space for my sweater.

Merrell Gore Tek hiking shoes keep my feet dry.

For extra cold days, I have two hand warmer/phone charger/flashlights for my Columbia jacket pockets for a quick warming of my hands during extended picture-taking excursions.

I always take a pair of UnderArmour Basic 1.0 lightweight long underwear as a base layer for those fast catamaran whale watching excursions in May. Next layer is long-sleeved shirt and cargo pants. Add a sweater, a mid-thigh Columbia jacket w/hood, and photographer gloves to complete my chilly day in May ensemble A rain poncho is always in my camera backpack as is space for my sweater.

Merrell Gore Tek hiking shoes keep my feet dry.

For extra cold days, I have two hand warmer/phone charger/flashlights for my Columbia jacket pockets for a quick warming of my hands during extended picture-taking excursions.

That’s a lot of gear.. you must live somewhere warm. [emoji41]

That’s a lot of gear.. you must live somewhere warm. [emoji41]

After 14 visits to Alaska, all but three in May, I pack for what I have experienced on previous cruises. Freezing rain, strong winds on whale watching catamarans, wet hiking trails, and temperatures that can rise 35 degrees from excursion starts to endings taught me the need for layering. I am prepared for almost every eventuality and it all fits in a single suitcase thanks to the Holland America ship laundry.

Where I live here in New Mexico, I have 10,000 foot peaks just ten miles away and desert-like conditions five miles the other direction. High temps in the low 90's during the summer and little snow. The best thing is the very low humidity at my 5000-foot altitude.. Temps are usually warmer than most other places in the US.

After 14 visits to Alaska, all but three in May, I pack for what I have experienced on previous cruises. Freezing rain, strong winds on whale watching catamarans, wet hiking trails, and temperatures that can rise 35 degrees from excursion starts to endings taught me the need for layering. I am prepared for almost every eventuality and it all fits in a single suitcase thanks to the Holland America ship laundry.

Where I live here in New Mexico, I have 10,000 foot peaks just ten miles away and desert-like conditions five miles the other direction. High temps in the low 90's during the summer and little snow. The best thing is the very low humidity at my 5000-foot altitude.. Temps are usually warmer than most other places in the US.

Oh I’m just teasing, nothing wrong with being prepared! But clearly my assumptions were correct [emoji6]