Sorry to see Mark Conroy go

One PCH executive who frequently checks out the Regent ships is Brett McNabb. We had dinner with him on board -- lovely, knowledgeable man. Wish I could recall exactly what he looks like. He is about 5' 8" (guessing) with not too much hair. He was portly but had lost a lot of weight and could now be skinny. Actually, if you're interested in exactly who the executives are, simply to go Franck Galzy's office and ask him. He'd be happy to tell you.

Oh my gosh travelcat..your decription of Brent is hilarious to me..Ive know him 11 years and he was young, unmarried , no kids, thin and adorable..(you can tell I love him) I havent seen him in a while (do email occasionally) but I cant wait until he reads your description of him..

Jancruz1

Oh my gosh travelcat..your decription of Brent is hilarious to me..Ive know him 11 years and he was young, unmarried , no kids, thin and adorable..(you can tell I love him) I havent seen him in a while (do email occasionally) but I cant wait until he reads your description of him..

Jancruz1

I'm really laughing now...... we all had quite a bit of wine at dinner. It could have affected my memory. Even posted his first name wrong. I'm almost positive that he had lost quite a bit of weight recently (I met him in May, 2012). I don't think of him as being tall ....... not sure about the hair. It could have been cut short:confused: Most importantly, we enjoyed his company alot -- it was delightful having dinner with.

Col Wes, it was a lovely trip. Currently in Denver Hotel with 3 hr drive today to get home. We had to miss Portugal due to dockworkers strike but went to Gibralter instead. Okay with me. Very port intensive trip so a little tired today! Bad news - on flight yesterday from Frankfurt to Detroit, pilot announced that not one piece of luggage had been put on our plane due to a breakdown in the bagged area. So, no luggage yet but handled well in Detroit and hope to see luggage in two or three days. Beautiful part of the world and we are glad we sailed on this trip.

I don't know why anybody would be surprised if Mark was booted out. It would not be the first time that a long-term staffer or officer who was respected by loyal cruisers was kicked out.

The truth is that there is a lot more competition. I would much prefer Sea Dream even with their smaller cabins. Food is better and we love the casual dress code, probably because passengers tend to dresss nicely without having too many rules. Others might disagree. We had a bad experience with Silver Seas, but they are serious competition. We would try them again on a different vessel than the Silver Spirit. No experience with Seabourn...the more formal dress code is a turn off to my travel partner. But all of these lines have the potential of pulling passengers away from Regent as they cut benefits and raise prices. Personally, I think their model of including tours has to be an expensive "draw" that by all surveys cruisers rate low. If they want to make profits Regent needs to put more effort into satisfying their customers rather than cutting and firing.

Just my opinion.

We thought that the alternative restaurants on the Oceania Marina (and now Riviera) were just outstanding. We're going on Riviera, Rome to Venice, in July of next year. We also enjoyed the huge teaching kitchen, art room, massive spa, etc., and the Penthouse Suites blow away all but the Regent Mariner's (Regents verandah suites are clearly superior to the ones on the two new Oceania ships, which are cramped, particularly the closets against the bed).

We plan to be doing all of our future cruising on Riviera (improved version of Marina), Marina, and the Regent ships, purely based on timing and itinerary.

We do not like the Silver Spirit (Silversea's largest ship) at all. Low ceilings give us claustrophobia, particularly in the theater. Shadow and Whisper are fine, but a notch below Regent in the smaller ship category (though they do sail better than the comparably sized Regent Navigator).

Seabourn's ships are too small.

We thought that the alternative restaurants on the Oceania Marina (and now Riviera) were just outstanding. We're going on Riviera, Rome to Venice, in July of next year. We also enjoyed the huge teaching kitchen, art room, massive spa, etc., and the Penthouse Suites blow away all but the Regent Mariner's (Regents verandah suites are clearly superior to the ones on the two new Oceania ships, which are cramped, particularly the closets against the bed).

We plan to be doing all of our future cruising on Riviera (improved version of Marina), Marina, and the Regent ships, purely based on timing and itinerary.

We do not like the Silver Spirit (Silversea's largest ship) at all. Low ceilings give us claustrophobia, particularly in the theater. Shadow and Whisper are fine, but a notch below Regent in the smaller ship category (though they do sail better than the comparably sized Regent Navigator).

Seabourn's ships are too small.

I think you may have wanted to make this post on another thread:confused: Allthough I completely agree with you about the Silver Spirit and Navigator, this thread is about Mark Conroy's departure. Actually, I would love to see him on Silversea but I don't think he could put up with the owners:-)

I just came upon this thread having been rather occupied with other things than thinking about cruising lately! I have to say on the original topic that I am not surprised that Mark Conroy has been moved to another position. He has been at his job for a long long time and my understanding was that recently (last year r so) he has been more occupied with plans for Regent's new ship (if there ever is one!) than actually running Regent on a day to day basis. so the new job either makes sense from this angle - he works on a new ship and therefore is already involved in planning AND is working well with FDR OR another angle which is he is being eased out, with the respect due him after his long service with Regent.

And the fact that Kaminami (or however he spells it!) is now President of Oceania AND Regent tells me that I may well have been right when I surmised about a year ago that the two lines will be merged... and this possible merger may well be the reason for the long delay in announcing any new Regent ship!!

Gerry

And the fact that Kaminami (or however he spells it!) is now President of Oceania AND Regent tells me that I may well have been right when I surmised about a year ago that the two lines will be merged... and this possible merger may well be the reason for the long delay in announcing any new Regent ship!!

Gerry

Gerry - regardless of what FDR says - I agree with you. They are already almost the same. One is all included and one is alacarte. Staff is interchanged, food quality, itineraries.

hondornerQuote:

Originally Posted by Hambagahle viewpost.gif

...tells me that I may well have been right when I surmised about a year ago that the two lines will be merged...

Gerry, see FDR's post number 32 on this thread, in which he says, regarding a possilbe merger, "Never EVER!"

For the 12 years that I worked at Eastman Kodak Company headquarters in Rochester, NY, successive CEO's and President's all swore that Kodak would "NEVER, EVER" stop making photographic film - or the cameras that used that film! And I never, EVER thought I would see a time that the US would have to pay another country to put our own people into space. Regards.

And the fact that Kaminami (or however he spells it!) is now President of Oceania AND Regent...

I'm sure you didn't mean this as dismissively as it sounds. Or perhaps you did.:rolleyes:

Spelled - Kunal S. Kamlani

Gerry - regardless of what FDR says - I agree with you. They are already almost the same. One is all included and one is alacarte. Staff is interchanged, food quality, itineraries.

And therein lies the tale. For a Regent cruiser who doesn't drink much and doesn't like included excursions, Oceania is the perfect answer. PCH will never make both cruise lines exactly the same; it goes against all logic.

There may be some difference in cost in order to have approximately the same accommodation size, but that shouldn't bother most Regent cruisers. And, it's happening. I enjoyed a cocktail party with 3 other couples on my last Regent cruise. One of those couples has sailed Oceania several times and another is booked on Oceania for an upcoming cruise. It's happening more frequently than most suspect.

And therein lies the tale. For a Regent cruiser who doesn't drink much and doesn't like included excursions, Oceania is the perfect answer. PCH will never make both cruise lines exactly the same; it goes against all logic.

There may be some difference in cost in order to have approximately the same accommodation size, but that shouldn't bother most Regent cruisers. And, it's happening. I enjoyed a cocktail party with 3 other couples on my last Regent cruise. One of those couples has sailed Oceania several times and another is booked on Oceania for an upcoming cruise. It's happening more frequently than most suspect.

Perhaps you have an explanation as to why the food is reported to be much better on Oceania than on Regent???? This makes no sense to me.

Perhaps you have an explanation as to why the food is reported to be much better on Oceania than on Regent???? This makes no sense to me.
Perhaps because Oceania was begun, by a dedicated "foodie", with the stated intention of providing "the best cuisine at sea". Now that he (FDR) sets overall policy o Regent, I feel the food has improved, and is still improving, on that line. Perhaps it takes time to override certain mindsets?

While Regent has had the goal to be the most luxurious, most inclusive cruise line, Oceania has from the outset been dedicated to "foodies". Evidenced by the emphasis on food on the new ships FDR designed:

* The elegant Grand Dining Room, described by one poetic poster as "crystal set in spun gold"

* Steaks and Chops in Polo, like Prime 7,with choices like Iberico Bellotta pork,

* Tuscan Italian in Toscana

* Asian fusion with an emphasis on Thai in Red Ginger

* A French country bistro designed and named after famed culinary director Jacques Pepin

* The extraordinary experience in La Reserve, a wine-pairing 7 course adventure sponsored by Wine Spectator magazine

* Privee', a special private dining room for parties of up to 10

* The only hands-on culinary class center, sponsored by Bon Appetit magazine, with 12 modern cooking stations for 24 attendees

* The Terrace Buffet, with a cook-to-order grill offering lobster, filets and much more

*Waves pool grill offering such things as the FDR-invented surf & turf burger (small filet and a lobster tail on a bun) and a Kobe burger with caramelized onions, along with paninis and other Good Stuff

In addition, suite passengers (penthouse and above), may order butler-served, course-by-course dinners from any or all of the specialty restaurants and the GDR, mix or match, something not offered by Regent.

OK, I know that sounds like a commercial for Oceania, but you asked, and that's the answer that almost anyone who has sailed Oceania would give you. There may be some slight variance -- some prefer the Terrace over the Grand dining room, and some vice versa. Ask previous Oceania guests why they booked again, and most will answer first, "The food."

Perhaps because Oceania was begun, by a dedicated "foodie", with the stated intention of providing "the best cuisine at sea". Now that he (FDR) sets overall policy o Regent, I feel the food has improved, and is still improving, on that line. Perhaps it takes time to override certain mindsets?

While Regent has had the goal to be the most luxurious, most inclusive cruise line, Oceania has from the outset been dedicated to "foodies". Evidenced by the emphasis on food on the new ships FDR designed:

* The elegant Grand Dining Room, described by one poetic poster as "crystal set in spun gold"

* Steaks and Chops in Polo, like Prime 7,with choices like Iberico Bellotta pork,

* A French country bistro designed and named after famed culinary director Jacques Pepin

* The extraordinary experience in La Reserve, a wine-pairing 7 course adventure sponsored by Wine Spectator magazine

* The only hands-on culinary class center, sponsored by Bon Appetit magazine, with 12 modern cooking stations for 24 attendees

* The Terrace Buffet, with a cook-to-order grill offering lobster, filets and much more

*Waves pool grill offering such things as the FDR-invented surf & turf burger (small filet and a lobster tail on a bun) and a Kobe burger with caramelized onions, along with paninis and other Good Stuff

In addition, suite passengers (penthouse and above), may order butler-served, course-by-course dinners from any or all of the specialty restaurants and the GDR, mix or match, something not offered by Regent.

OK, I know that sounds like a commercial for Oceania, but you asked, and that's the answer that almost anyone who has sailed Oceania would give you. There may be some slight variance -- some prefer the Terrace over the Grand dining room, and some vice versa. Ask previous Oceania guests why they booked again, and most will answer first, "The food."

After sailing on the Marina, we booked another cruise on the Riviera. You are right...Oceania has the reputation as having "the best cuisine at SEA".

Sailed on three cruises this year and Silversea could not even come close to Oceania's food. We found the food to be very mediocre on Silversea.

The food on the Paul Gauguin was excellent but you are limited to where you can sail on that ship.

It is a really nice perk (Marina/Riviera) if you are in a suite to be able to order in from one of the specialty restaurants after a long day of touring. The set up is great in the suites.

Nice advertisement for Oceania. If Oceania is for "foodies" and has speciality foods and restaurants, I have no issue with that.. However, why should that mean that the quality of the food on Regent should be less? I'm stressing quality -- not whether we have a surf and turf burger (although it sounds yummy). Unlike Peggy's post, we have yet to find a good lobster on Regent. The crab in P-7 has been extraordinary a couple of times and extremely poor the rest. Recent reviews of P-7 steaks have mediocre. This is suppose to have the best steaks on Regent.

If Regent's fares were less than Oceania, it might make sense but they aren't. And, the fact that the two cruise lines are managed by the same people, it certainly seems as if this is a deliberate decision. Please tell me that I'm wrong.

Wripro is correct. On Regent you are paying for drinks and tours, and on Oceania we are paying for fabulous food that everybody partakes in. Not everyone on Regent drinks and or takes their tours. We feel that we are truly getting our monies worth on Oceania, and not so on Regent any more.

The two lines are moving in different directions. Oceania concentrates on their food and Regent on their AI plan, its just that simple.

Jackie,

We were in Maine - Regent brought on some huge number of small, fresh lobsters.

As an aside, I'll be on Oceania next summer and am curious about the difference between the food served . . . I am a "foodie" to some extent but have not had any issue with what is served on Regent.

And I don't believe for one second that the inclusive policy has anything to do with the quality of the food on Regent. My bet is that both lines ae supplied by the same company. I plan to ask the staff when I get on the Mariner in January.

Peggy

Interesting way to spin it. Are these "comparisons(?)" only between Regent and the Riviera and Marina? What about the other two Oceania ships? Is the quality of the food on these ships less? I ask because you can get a stateroom for 7 nights (Caribbean) on the Regatta for $1,618. The very cheapest you can get a Regent suite for 7 nights in the Caribbean is $3,000 (and that is only one sailing -- most are $3,500+.). Even if you add $700 for the top package of all-inclusive drinks, it, IMO, does not add up.

The bottom line (IMO) is that Regent passengers already pay more for included alcohol and excursions (excursions that many of us do not want). The food on Regent should be at least the same quality as on Oceania. Something is very wrong with this scenario (IMHO).

Peggy, I'm distressed by this thread; I can hardly wait to hear your answer.

As you know we leave on 1/24 for 34 days on Voyager, god forbid given what we've paid they would skimp on food quality. Unfortunately I see some logic in the answer about emphasis.

Travelcat2,

Having sailed both sizes of O ships I would have to say the food is superior on the new ships, mainly because of the addition of two new specialty restaurants, Red Ginger and Jacques plus the expanded Terrace Grill at night. These are superb venues. The main dining room on the other hand is comparable in quality on both size ships and really not any different from CR on Regent. jmo.

Jackie,

We were in Maine - Regent brought on some huge number of small, fresh lobsters.

As an aside, I'll be on Oceania next summer and am curious about the difference between the food served . . . I am a "foodie" to some extent but have not had any issue with what is served on Regent.

And I don't believe for one second that the inclusive policy has anything to do with the quality of the food on Regent. My bet is that both lines ae supplied by the same company. I plan to ask the staff when I get on the Mariner in January.

Peggy

Peggy-

The company that supplies food to both Oceania and Regent is Apollo Ship Chandlers

Archived