HAL and the British 'Rip-Off"

Cruise and Stay

...after reading the OP and the subsequent replies, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I.

Could this 1/3 or so more price of booking a cruise in countries such a Great Britain and Australia be due to laws of said countries which make it mandatory for the following?

1. Must use UK or Australian Travel Agent only

2. Must forfeit all deposits no matter if you book and cancel 2 years before the actual cruise date?? (threw the 2 years in to make the question more understandable *I hope*)

3. Is this really an Issue that is caused by HAL, The said Countries or the Travel Agency Regulatory Commissions for all countries where this price differential exists?

Joanie

I am pretty sure you are accurate on all of these. If you browse through the other cruiseline boards on here you will read the same thing about the UK passengers paying more this is not specific to HAL.

To the OP I would do some research on Cunard and I would be you will find the same thing with them. It has to do with your countries laws.

it is my understanding that fares for people in the UK include insurance and other protections. that isn't free.

This is often the case with what is called "price discrimination" and it is quite legal. Not poking at you here C, but the next time anyone gets a "residents" or a "seniors" discount or special on anything they buy, just be aware that this too is called "price discrimination" and is the same thing. Often, the fine print, as CtheW0rld points out, details the restrictions and caveats associated with the "deal". Airlines practice it quite commonly, as do most restaurants and theaters here in the US.

Yes, I agree with the OP, it's not fun to be handed the dirty end of the stick. But it's how business is often done, the world 'round.

One thing to consider

Carnival Corp is a US company

Carnival PLC is a British company

since the dual listed corporation has a British presence, they must comply with British (and most likely EU) regulations concerning sales to British (EU) citizens. It is very possible that it is not Carnival that is causing the problems, but the British government.

One thing to consider

Carnival Corp is a US company

Carnival PLC is a British company

since the dual listed corporation has a British presence, they must comply with British (and most likely EU) regulations concerning sales to British (EU) citizens. It is very possible that it is not Carnival that is causing the problems, but the British government.

No, Carnival is a not US company, nor is Carnival PLC a British Company, although the stock of the company trades on both markets.

Carnival exists under the laws of the Republic of Panama.

Reference, and quote from http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/CorpGov/ArticlesIncorporation.pdf

"We the undersigned, Micky Arison, Chairman of the Board of Directors

and Chief Executive Officer, and Arnaldo Perez, Senior Vice President, General Counsel

and Secretary, of Carnival Corporation, a corporation organized and existing in

accordance with the laws of the Republic of Panama (the “Corporation”), do hereby

certify that the Articles of Incorporation of said corporation are hereby amended and

restated as follows:...."

Hey, get a grip. When I have to fly form Heathrow to LA, I have to pay $286 pp tax

When I get a regular hotel room, I pay $300 a night with tax...if I am luckey

And lets not get into taxi or buying beer at $10. !

It is the system/government, not the cruise line

No folks, it's the cruise line. It makes no difference if it's $2 to the £ or the current rate of $1.52. I'm working at today's exchange rate. We still booked in £ when the rate was high in 2008.

It isn't to do with insurances or UK / EC laws either. We have our own insurance and U.K law doesb't demand that we have a rate of £1 = $1 when doing business with U.S Cruise companies.

We could easily accept a surcharge of say £100 or 2% for exchange fluctuations or booking in another country than the U.S but what is happening is dollars = pounds and in currency units, they just don't!

Thanks for pointing out Cunard is tha same as HAL - we'll look at Oceania!

As for citizens of other countries being ripped off in the U.K & E.C - yes it goes on too and it is simply wrong.

No, Carnival is a not US company, nor is Carnival PLC a British Company, although the stock of the company trades on both markets.

Carnival exists under the laws of the Republic of Panama.

Reference, and quote from http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/CorpGov/ArticlesIncorporation.pdf

"We the undersigned, Micky Arison, Chairman of the Board of Directors

and Chief Executive Officer, and Arnaldo Perez, Senior Vice President, General Counsel

and Secretary, of Carnival Corporation, a corporation organized and existing in

accordance with the laws of the Republic of Panama (the “Corporation”), do hereby

certify that the Articles of Incorporation of said corporation are hereby amended and

restated as follows:...."

I understand that the CORPORATION is registered in Panama, but the listing on the British Stock Exchange shows a presence in Britain. This would be similar to the sales tax laws in the US. Buying online keeps you, in most cases, from paying sales tax on the purchase. The exception is if the seller has a presence in your state, then you have to pay tax. The presence, in some states, have been extended to having "associates" that link to your sales items.

That is nothing new and all cruise lines do this.

For years Canadians paid much more for our cruises then US. Not only was the exchange rate against us but if you booked with a Canadian Travel agency you paid even more. A lot of this has to do with the exchange rates, but some is marketing.

I've heard from Celebrity's American passengers complaining in the US that the UK travelers and agencies get sales and cabins before the US market does.

canadians are paying for their agents healthcare expenses, too. that 'free' healthcare you guys get ain't free. you can bet your last dollar most TAs don't get benefits provided.

Thanks for pointing out Cunard is tha same as HAL - we'll look at Oceania!

As for citizens of other countries being ripped off in the U.K & E.C - yes it goes on too and it is simply wrong.

It happens with Oceania too! All of the cruise lines practice regional pricing and regional specials/upsells. It is how cruise lines build thier buisness in a particular region.

i met a lady travel agent on a transat on Epic .she had made a group for it .well i thought I had a great deal until I found out what her group got their cabins for . she told me because i did not have a uS address i could not buy from her ...not fair but such is life

She had all kinds of groups for dirt cheap

however i lucked out on HAL they charged me in Canadian $which worked out very well

So sometimes you win some times you lose

MAny US agencies have great prices we as Canadians cannot get .Also our airfare is ridiculously expensive because of all the taxes we pay ...it actually doubles the airfare

i do ot believe other cruise lines operate differently i have been told some lines make it more expensive for some cruisers because that is how they control who goes depending on culture or nationality .....some will completely discourage nrth americans because it is more Asian in style ... I once saw that SO MANY reasons for pricing differences

If I lived in Britain, I'd show my objection by catching ferries to Europe, or within Europe, and doing land travel.

quote]

Nah.... best cruising out of Britain is SAGA CRUISES!!!!!!

Fare includes...

All insurance

All gratuities

Free taxi from home to pier (if you live within 200 miles or free rail)

Free coffee!

Free icecream!!!!

Cheap bar prices... about 1/3 of HAL and no addred gats.

Nice small ships.... 400 to 700 pax

As an Aussie I wanted to join a FB cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov. The group used a HAL TA and she apologised and explained that as we were Aussies she could not book us, but to go through the Representatives here. The HAL TA could do a group booking in a Suite for $1700p/p, but I would have to pay well over $3,000 ++p/p for the same category. Hence we are not going. We have come across this previously, and must now book a VF category for a higher price than USA citizens. We have been told by HAL that if we go ahead and use a USA TA, then they have the right to refuse boarding. After flying so far, the last thing I want is to be left standing at the pier waving farewell to the ship. Regardless, we do enjoy cruising with HAL. I do have an address is USA I could use, but am reluctant to do so.

canadians are paying for their agents healthcare expenses, too. that 'free' healthcare you guys get ain't free. you can bet your last dollar most TAs don't get benefits provided.

Every one who works pays our medicare and everyone gets taken care of when sick .No one ever said it was free .however no paying up front for any medical treatment for a canadian tax paying resident or citizen

no our commission des not go to pay medicare all his income is taxed accordingly

Because of this i do not need to buy travel insurance ,medicare covers plus. My creditcard covers the rest ....I know that does not exist in the states

What benefits are you talking about?

As an Aussie I wanted to join a FB cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov. The group used a HAL TA and she apologised and explained that as we were Aussies she could not book us, but to go through the Representatives here. The HAL TA could do a group booking in a Suite for $1700p/p, but I would have to pay well over $3,000 ++p/p for the same category. Hence we are not going. We have come across this previously, and must now book a VF category for a higher price than USA citizens..

If you do end up booking another non-Carnival Corp. cruise, send the invoice and a latter to HAL and Carnival Corp. Let them know you're voting with your wallet.

A more thorough investigation would probably reveal that the higher costs are due to British laws and taxes. This would also explain why HAL doesn't allow you to circumvent the higher prices through the internet.
There are no UK or EU laws that prevent a British or European resident booking through a US channel on US terms.

The one reason that alone proves this beyond doubt? UK and EU residents can book a Carnival cruise through US channels.

If you book in the UK or the EU on UK/EU terms, there are some additional costs which justify a higher price.

But there is nothing other than price gouging to explain why UK/EU residents are not permitted to choose to book through US channels on US terms if they wish.

If I lived in Britain, I'd show my objection by catching ferries to Europe, or within Europe, and doing land travel.

quote]

Nah.... best cruising out of Britain is SAGA CRUISES!!!!!!

Fare includes...

All insurance

All gratuities

Free taxi from home to pier (if you live within 200 miles or free rail)

Free coffee!

Free icecream!!!!

Cheap bar prices... about 1/3 of HAL and no addred gats.

Nice small ships.... 400 to 700 pax

Actually, I loved my cruising experience on Fred.Olsen, so I'd cruise with them again.

As an Aussie I wanted to join a FB cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov. The group used a HAL TA and she apologised and explained that as we were Aussies she could not book us, but to go through the Representatives here. The HAL TA could do a group booking in a Suite for $1700p/p, but I would have to pay well over $3,000 ++p/p for the same category. Hence we are not going. We have come across this previously, and must now book a VF category for a higher price than USA citizens. We have been told by HAL that if we go ahead and use a USA TA, then they have the right to refuse boarding. After flying so far, the last thing I want is to be left standing at the pier waving farewell to the ship. Regardless, we do enjoy cruising with HAL. I do have an address is USA I could use, but am reluctant to do so.

Please do not believe this, as it is not true.

Why are you reluctant to use a valid USA address?

$3,000 plus versus $1,700 is just not fair!

I was looking forward to HAL increasing their presence in Australia, but won't support them now, because of their discriminatory practices.

It doesn't have to be this way. Just look at MSC, a private company, which regularly offers 2 for the price of 1 cruises to Australian customers.

Archived