HAL and the British 'Rip-Off"

Cruise and Stay

Bit of background.

As you can see from the profile signature below we have sailed with HAL for over 100 days since 2007. Sometimes 2 cruises in a year and at least 2 back to backs. We've spent a conservative $32,000 with the company in that time.

No more.

We were looking at a part circumnavigation of Australia on the Volendam or a Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam in December 2012 - we quickly realised that the prices being charged to U.K residents were at least ⅓ higher than priices offered to U.S and Canadian residents for the same product! On querying this with HAL both in the UK and at the Seattle office they were quite upfront about this discrepancy, our travel agent described it as open discrimination against U.K residents.

Interestingly, Vacations to Go cannot accept bookings from non U.S / Canadian residents for the same reason.

To add insult to injury HAL have released cabins on the Australia cruise to Australian travel agents, agaon at about ⅓ of the price offered to U.K residents on the HAL U.K website - but again you need an Australian residency to book.

So that's the end of HAL. We will take our not inconsiderable business elsewhere!

What to they bore us to death with at the end of every cruise?.........the song "Love in any language" - a diverse crew and passenger manifest living in harmony?

Yes, unless you come from Britain, then it's OK to discrimate and make 'em pay through the nose.

Poke it HAL. Cunard from now on.

It isn't just HAL. Take a close look at Cunard's prices. People in the UK often pay more on Cunard, too. And I'm told Australian prices are even higher than UK prices.

You might try some other travel agent, perhaps one that isn't just an online agency (posters can't recommend anyone, sorry). I know that some people in the UK are able to book Cunard through a US agent. So maybe it's just the agency that you tried that didn't work for you.

I know it's unfair, and I don't know why it's this way, but it has been this way for a long time.

Several cruise lines do it.

But it is not really about currency fluctuations as it is about ripping of a market segment just because you are able to do it.

I think the practice is scandalous. They often do it to the Aussies as well.

it is my understanding that fares for people in the UK include insurance and other protections. that isn't free.

I've heard that Australian rules give passengers more consumer protection, but I hadn't heard that about UK rules.

Here's another bit of "generosity" that US pax get. We can cancel and get our money back up until final payment time. In the UK (and I think Australia, too), all deposits are nonrefundable.

...after reading the OP and the subsequent replies, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than I.

Could this 1/3 or so more price of booking a cruise in countries such a Great Britain and Australia be due to laws of said countries which make it mandatory for the following?

1. Must use UK or Australian Travel Agent only

2. Must forfeit all deposits no matter if you book and cancel 2 years before the actual cruise date?? (threw the 2 years in to make the question more understandable *I hope*)

3. Is this really an Issue that is caused by HAL, The said Countries or the Travel Agency Regulatory Commissions for all countries where this price differential exists?

Joanie

I doubt that HAL is singling out the British for extra profit. A more thorough investigation would probably reveal that the higher costs are due to British laws and taxes. This would also explain why HAL doesn't allow you to circumvent the higher prices through the internet.

BTW, Cunard and HAL are part of the same corporation.

igraf

Yes, unless you come from Britain, then it's OK to discrimate and make 'em pay through the nose.

There is a small, a VERY small charge in the UK for the ABTA (sp) that provides insurance. As I recall it is less than 1 percent.

The UK and the Australian TA's must like this pricing and terms differential very much. Their commission is protected against cancellations (to a certain extent), price decreases, and internet TA's who provide a service for far less commission.

Cruisers in these countries were able to book before regulations were put in place by some cruise lines to stop this. IMHO it is a money grab. The US/CAN cruise marketplace tends to be much more competitive than others, hence the prices are often lower.

We book hotels, vacations, air, etc. on many international and in country websites....never an issue an nobody tries to prohibit this. As an example, on our last Oct trip we booked domestic Turkish air on a Turkish website and some Turkish accomodation on a UK website. No issues whatsoever, other than getting a significant discount over what US/CAN websites were offering for exactly the same product. Absolutely no issue to book these, and many others.

This is the same in The Netherlands, especially since HAL opened a sales office in Rotterdam.

Before that we booked cruises either through a US travelagent and also even through HAL Seattle direct by phone. We never had problems with that.

However it isnot possible anymore and we have to pay the Euro-prices which often are much higher.

We used to accept the risk for possible changes in the exchange rates and booked at US policy rates. That also means cancellations up to final payment was free.

When we book in Rotterdam now we will loose 20% (!!!!) deposit when we cancel before that payment day.

We are looking at 2014 for a HAL cruise, but decided not to book because of this and maybe switch to another cruiseline.

Good for you for voting with your wallet. Money Talks

Of couse in the O.P's case moving their business to Cunard isn't really hurting anyone as both H.A.L.and Cunard are owned by Carnival Corporation plc.

Wheather they spend their money with H.A.L. or Cunard, it all goes to Carnival Corporation plc's bottom line.

To really vote with the wallet moving to Royal Caribbean or Oceania would serve that purpose.

Bit of background.

As you can see from the profile signature below we have sailed with HAL for over 100 days since 2007. Sometimes 2 cruises in a year and at least 2 back to backs. We've spent a conservative $32,000 with the company in that time.

No more.

We were looking at a part circumnavigation of Australia on the Volendam or a Caribbean cruise on the Westerdam in December 2012 - we quickly realised that the prices being charged to U.K residents were at least ⅓ higher than priices offered to U.S and Canadian residents for the same product! On querying this with HAL both in the UK and at the Seattle office they were quite upfront about this discrepancy, our travel agent described it as open discrimination against U.K residents.

Interestingly, Vacations to Go cannot accept bookings from non U.S / Canadian residents for the same reason.

To add insult to injury HAL have released cabins on the Australia cruise to Australian travel agents, agaon at about ⅓ of the price offered to U.K residents on the HAL U.K website - but again you need an Australian residency to book.

So that's the end of HAL. We will take our not inconsiderable business elsewhere!

What to they bore us to death with at the end of every cruise?.........the song "Love in any language" - a diverse crew and passenger manifest living in harmony?

It can work two ways. My cousin and her husband did a Med cruise a few years ago on the then brand new Concordia (which they loved). They discovered that they could get a balcony cabin in the UK for what they would have had to pay for an inside cabin if booked here in Australia. Luckily, her husband is originally English and so they used his relatives' address in Birmingham and did the booking through there, getting for themselves that lower price. You will also find that we pay a lot more for some of those English cruises than you pay in the UK. I think that, although in the US there are often much lower prices (probably has something to do with economy of scale), it really is swings and roundabouts. Just ask an American how much they get ripped off booking on rail travel in Europe through their local booking site as opposed to going to the French or English site. We always book our French train tickets via SNCF France, and save a lot of money over what we would pay here. We just accept that the world is not a level playing field. :)

vel in Europe through their local booking site as opposed to going to the French or English site. We always book our French train tickets via SNCF France, and save a lot of money over what we would pay here. We just accept that the world is not a level playing field. :)

The difference is that you can buy those rail tickets at the local site to get the lowest rates. HAL makes sure that you can't with geographically-selective sites (unless you use a proxy).

As far as Australians go, I was under the impression that cruises sold to Australians are gratuities inclusive as that's how services are sold in their country.

Just got off the NA a couple of weeks ago with a large group of Aussies and heard the same complaint, its time for HAL to fess up and give a GOOD reason for this discrimination against overseas cruisers. At least a couple of cruisers on that trip said they will be looking elsewhere. Like one previous poster stated, you have to look at the big picture and stay away then from Carnival corporation ships.

That is nothing new and all cruise lines do this.

For years Canadians paid much more for our cruises then US. Not only was the exchange rate against us but if you booked with a Canadian Travel agency you paid even more. A lot of this has to do with the exchange rates, but some is marketing.

I've heard from Celebrity's American passengers complaining in the US that the UK travelers and agencies get sales and cabins before the US market does.

op - did you mean to say $32,000 or 32,000 pounds???

If you spent over 100 days on HAL, even breaking it down at 100 days that means you each averaged a cost of less than $160 pp per day per person? (if you are talking $$$)

Please don't misunderstand the question as I am not questionning the lack of equality in pricing at all. We've been subject to it at times too.

In fact even asking us to choose the currency for our FCD's and not making them interchangeable means you need a flipping crystal ball..........

but if you are talking in dollars and not pounds, that doesn't seem an unreasonable price to pay per day on average? (I don't know your cabin category but I am basing my question on not having the engine room or the smallest inside?)

am I missing the boat? (I have been known to - but I never miss the ship)

It can work two ways. My cousin and her husband did a Med cruise a few years ago on the then brand new Concordia (which they loved). They discovered that they could get a balcony cabin in the UK for what they would have had to pay for an inside cabin if booked here in Australia. Luckily, her husband is originally English and so they used his relatives' address in Birmingham and did the booking through there, getting for themselves that lower price. You will also find that we pay a lot more for some of those English cruises than you pay in the UK. I think that, although in the US there are often much lower prices (probably has something to do with economy of scale), it really is swings and roundabouts. Just ask an American how much they get ripped off booking on rail travel in Europe through their local booking site as opposed to going to the French or English site. We always book our French train tickets via SNCF France, and save a lot of money over what we would pay here. We just accept that the world is not a level playing field. :)

You've got that right! We go to England once a year, and I always book train travel on the English site. If I go to the "Britrail" vendor in the US, they will charge me the price I wouldpay if I buy my ticket on the day of travel. But some lines discount, and if I buy online direct from the UK, I can pay as low as 25% of what I'd pay going through the US site. You really need to shop around when you plan to travel.

I know someone whose policy is to 'tell them what they want to hear'. If the company wants a US address so they can get a better deal then they give them one. They do use an address of someone they know but the company doesn't physically use it so it doesn't really matter. For cuise bookings they don't check passports to see if you really are a resident either, it's just a system driven thing to get a price and make a booking.

Shopping online can be a bit annoying as some companies get clever about identifying your IP adress and showing you different information depending where you are from - in the name of 'tailoring to customers needs' but really it is just discriminitary pricing. At least Sony and Apple tend to set their prices the same worldwide bar currency differences, but other brands use the local market to their advantage and push their pricing as far as they can. It is not just cruise lines but other consumer goods like clothing, footwear & cosmetic brands which are notorious for it.

I know someone whose policy is to 'tell them what they want to hear'. If the company wants a US address so they can get a better deal then they give them one. They do use an address of someone they know but the company doesn't physically use it so it doesn't really matter. For cuise bookings they don't check passports to see if you really are a resident either, it's just a system driven thing to get a price and make a booking.

Shopping online can be a bit annoying as some companies get clever about identifying your IP adress and showing you different information depending where you are from - in the name of 'tailoring to customers needs' but really it is just discriminitary pricing. At least Sony and Apple tend to set their prices the same worldwide bar currency differences, but other brands use the local market to their advantage and push their pricing as far as they can. It is not just cruise lines but other consumer goods like clothing, footwear & cosmetic brands which are notorious for it.

I believe this to be true. I recently posted on our roll call that a hotel that a lot of us are using has dropped to x - but some could find nothing, others $10 more than what I found. I would have thought it was universally priced but perhaps not? If it is IP driven that would explain the difference although I am confounded to understand it. It seems the more advanced we get - the harder it is to get the straight goods sometimes;):rolleyes:

I also understand that only North American bookings get offered upsells and upgrades from HAL. You'd think in these times anybodys money is good regardless of where your customer lives! I'm sure the marketing people can put a different spin on it though, but it is disappointing.

We are told often enough we live in a 'global community' etc but obviously it is not an equal one when it comes to marketing!

As far as Australians go, I was under the impression that cruises sold to Australians are gratuities inclusive as that's how services are sold in their country.

Gratuities are only included in cruises based in Australia. When we buy overseas cruises, we pay the same gratuities as all other cruisers on that ship. However, we pay a higher base price for the cruise.

The current discrimination will only stop when people stop buying cruises where they are forced to pay a higher price against their will. Support cruise lines which will allow you to buy their cruises direct overseas, or through overseas travel agents.

If I lived in Britain, I'd show my objection by catching ferries to Europe, or within Europe, and doing land travel.

After all cruising is a perishable market - they have to fill their ships.

I also understand that only North American bookings get offered upsells and upgrades from HAL. You'd think in these times anybodys money is good regardless of where your customer lives! I'm sure the marketing people can put a different spin on it though, but it is disappointing.

We are told often enough we live in a 'global community' etc but obviously it is not an equal one when it comes to marketing!

Not a TA obviously, but only based on personal experience i don't think this is true. I know of a couple of instances of upgrades/upsells to people outside of North America. the couple in the P Dam penthouse were from the U.K. They were upsold from a BC verandah (we in Canada never got an offer). Several couples on the same ship were also upgraded.

On another cruise a couple from Australia and from Germany and from the Netherlands and from the UK were all upsold. Most were on our roll call.:D

It seems to happen. If it's like here - I think it depends upon your TA partially - if you have a good one - and if they have a relationship with HAL - offers come. if not, they may not.

Just my best guess - but it does happen:D

Archived