I LOVE Comedians with Guitars......You didn't tell me that part...

jenseib

I have this picture, and for the life of me I can’t remember what it is, and I am sure someone can remind me. I think it was some kind of after dinner thing for digestion?[/quote]

I don't remember this at all! I'll have to show your picture to my husband and see if he remembers.

We all kind of agreed that the food was good, but not something we would rush back for. It was the first Palo dinner for all of us. Brook has done the brunch and she said it was MUCH better than the dinner.

I have now sailed the Dream since then and I did do the brunch on it. It was 100 times better than the dinner. I will most likely never do dinner again, but I will try the brunch out again.

.... I think with an extra tip and drink my bill was $30-$35. To me, it was NOT worth the price at all, but I am glad I tried it {dinner}.

I think in general I agree with you. We ate at Palo the first night on the ship, partly because the buffet was not open that night and we were not too keen about sitting with four strangers for dinner in the MDR. I thought the food was good, but it was SO heavy and rich, I did not think I could eat that way any more nights. Plus, the first night, Palo was virtually empty, so no one hassled me about what I was wearing (a skirt made of jeans material), but the next day at Palo brunch, apparently someone did complain. (The official rules say no jeans, not "no clothing made of jeans material," but whatever).

Ironically capris were OK for our other Palo brunches (we went every sea day, and just did that meal and dinner on those days). When we got back from dinner at Palo the first night, there was a message from the dining staff that they were able to accommodate our request for a table for two, so we ate at MDR all the other nights except the night we had an unplanned overnight in Cozumel (on what would have been our Costa Maya night - we missed the show dinner in AP since we ate at Casa Denis in Cozumel, so I really appreciated your photos from that dinner).

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food in the MDR. However, I was not crazy about all the noise, and about having to eat so late (I am spoiled by Norwegian's Freestyle and RCCL's My Time Dining). I just don't like to eat a very heavy meal at dinner, and between the rich food and the feeling that you need to make that extra $20 "worth" it (by eating more), it did not make sense to eat dinner at Palo. Like you, I am glad I tried it though!

I also thought Palo brunch was way better (obviously, since we did it all three sea days!).

Hi, Just wanted to say Iam enjoying your TR, and also I am in the middle of your "dream" report! The reporter who interviewed your friends in the beginning was Deborah Wrigley, she works for the ABC station here in Houston. I didnt like the way she came across when I watched it the same day as she reported , one would think being from an ABC station she would have been more positive!

I was on the second sailing of the Magic on Sept. 29, HAD a ball!:D

I thought so, too - really rich though! I think the sauce is called a beurre blanc.

Yup - it was a lemon sorbet.

I'm thinking on the Western Caribbean runs, Disney is doing a play off the fact that they dock at Punta Langosta (Spanish for Lobster Point) in Cozumel - so lobster night is Cozumel night.

I have this picture, and for the life of me I can’t remember what it is, and I am sure someone can remind me. I think it was some kind of after dinner thing for digestion?[/quote]

I don't remember this at all! I'll have to show your picture to my husband and see if he remembers.

I think in general I agree with you. We ate at Palo the first night on the ship, partly because the buffet was not open that night and we were not too keen about sitting with four strangers for dinner in the MDR. I thought the food was good, but it was SO heavy and rich, I did not think I could eat that way any more nights. Plus, the first night, Palo was virtually empty, so no one hassled me about what I was wearing (a skirt made of jeans material), but the next day at Palo brunch, apparently someone did complain. (The official rules say no jeans, not "no clothing made of jeans material," but whatever).

Ironically capris were OK for our other Palo brunches (we went every sea day, and just did that meal and dinner on those days). When we got back from dinner at Palo the first night, there was a message from the dining staff that they were able to accommodate our request for a table for two, so we ate at MDR all the other nights except the night we had an unplanned overnight in Cozumel (on what would have been our Costa Maya night - we missed the show dinner in AP since we ate at Casa Denis in Cozumel, so I really appreciated your photos from that dinner).

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of food in the MDR. However, I was not crazy about all the noise, and about having to eat so late (I am spoiled by Norwegian's Freestyle and RCCL's My Time Dining). I just don't like to eat a very heavy meal at dinner, and between the rich food and the feeling that you need to make that extra $20 "worth" it (by eating more), it did not make sense to eat dinner at Palo. Like you, I am glad I tried it though!

I also thought Palo brunch was way better (obviously, since we did it all three sea days!).

I copied and past that off all ears, so they must have it mispelled. :eek: LOL

I really enjoyed brunch, but dinner just wasn't all that for me. I do like the other cruise lines anytime dining though. I have sailed NCL a couple of time and that was a perk to me. And you are right, I did feel like I should eat my $20 worth. LOL

Hi, Just wanted to say Iam enjoying your TR, and also I am in the middle of your "dream" report! The reporter who interviewed your friends in the beginning was Deborah Wrigley, she works for the ABC station here in Houston. I didnt like the way she came across when I watched it the same day as she reported , one would think being from an ABC station she would have been more positive!

I was on the second sailing of the Magic on Sept. 29, HAD a ball!:D

Thanks for reading along on both!

I'm glad you had fun too. I have been bitten by the cruise bug. I would like to plan one, but things are hectic at home. My husband had his 3rd hipreplacement in 3 years early Jan. (the other 2 were on his other hip and the first one didn't take). We found out yesterday that he is not healing at all inside, so they are going in today and looking at everything and sewing him up better. I have to laugh because after each surgery we are told how wonderful it went and I just roll my eyes now. Nothing is easy at our house. :rolleyes:

I planned had planned to update this report this week, but my husband had yet another surgery this week, unexpectedly. He is doing fine and still in the hospital till most likely Sat. I will try to get another update by the end of the week if time allows.

Sept. 28,2012 Day 8

Navigators of the day.

IMG1_0025.jpg

IMG1_0026.jpg

IMG1_0027.jpg

IMG1_0028.jpg

I believe I actually tried to sleep in a bit today. Which might mean I slept till 7. I think by 7:30 this was the view from our balcony.

shipinthedistance.jpg

That Carnival Ship was still out in the distance

clowdgame.jpg

We still had a full sea day left, but it was kind of sad that we were heading home.

Lisa and I got some breakfast.

topsiderbreakfast.jpg

Rumor is that when the Magic goes in dry dock they are going to take this aft seating out or at least make it smaller. That saddens me. This was our favorite spot to eat every day. It was just beautiful and peaceful.

viewatbreakfast.jpg

After we ate we headed to the adult pool area and just sat around and watched the guys work.

paintingmagic1.jpg

paintingmagic2.jpg

moreworkersonmagic.jpg

We decided to head to the guest service desk and check our accounts. We both paid ours off with cash. I wasn’t sure if I would add anything more to my account, but it was nice not to have it all go on my credit card.

fishart.jpg

lookingup.jpg

peteart.jpg

Then of course we headed to the shops.

glanceatshop.jpg

Lisa was looking for something here, but I don’t remember what or if she found it.

drugcorner1.jpg

magicgiftshop.jpg

We browsed around and I had been looking at a sweatshirt. It was on sale. Not screaming Disney, but did say Disney cruise line on it. I decided to get one for myself. I don’t have pictures of it. At least not that I remember taking. It’s blue and pretty basic with an Anchor on it, but I liked it and the price was good. I also found one in Claire’s size, also on clearance and grabbed it. Then I thought ….hmm , my niece Abby just had her b-day and her family party was going to be the day after I got home (Sunday). I hadn’t gotten anything yet for her besides a small purse in Cozumel, so I got one for her as well.

And I also had been looking at the frame. I bought a few prints last year on the Dream and some were on odd size and I have yet to find a frame to fit them. So I took the plunge and bought one that would fit the picture. I immediately framed it when I got home.

frame.jpg

I also debated on getting Abby a Disney gift card. They had the cutest one with a DCL theme on it. But I only wanted it for $10. Just a filler gift. The minimum had to be $25, so I passed on it.

I got some candy and a few other small things for Claire and her cousins and added right back to the account I had just paid off.

We then headed back to the room and put away our purchases and went to the pool.

I sat under my favorite spot, the waterfall for a bit.

toesies.jpg

The other gals were out there again too. The water was a bit cooler today, but still nice and not as high either. We bobbed around in the pool again for an hour or 2 and chatted away. This is the life. I am not a swimmer, but I don’t mind bobbing around and talking on a hot day.

After a while we got hungry so we headed off to Topsiders.

seafoodbuffet1.jpg

It was a seafood buffet today and also a BBQ on the back deck.

seafoodbuffet2.jpg

We headed back to our favorite spot and found a table.

wake.jpg

MMMMMM! Crab legs!

seafoodbuffet3.jpg

We enjoyed our meal and as you know, when eating crab legs, it takes a bit to crack them, but it is so worth it. These weren’t the best I ever had, but they were still good.

We never got anything off the BBQ grill, but I did take a couple of pictures.

bbq1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

We then headed back to our room.

There had been a Carnival ship in port at Cozumel as well, but further down at a different pier. We left about the same time and we could see it almost the whole way back to Galveston.

I wonder if that ship is the infamous Triumph?

Yes it was. I had wondered too so I knew i had taken pictures of it when it docked after us and I took a look through my alboms and sure enough it was the Triumph.

Jenseib,

Thank you so much for posting this review! It has been absolutely enthralling. Your pictures are wonderful and give a great overview of the ship. You gave such great information. I haven't found anything else here on CC that was as extensive about the Magic.

We will be on our first Disney cruise, 8 days on the Magic, out of Galveston in May. We have done many RCL cruises, so we are looking forward to a unique experience that Disney offers. I was so pleased with your perspective of being on this Disney cruise with a group of adults since our cruise will only be my husband and myself. Our kids are grown, so even if they were to come along, it would still be all adults. :)

I'm wishing you and your family the best with your husband's surgery and hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

Thanks again for the time it took to post this!

Jenseib,

Thank you so much for posting this review! It has been absolutely enthralling. Your pictures are wonderful and give a great overview of the ship. You gave such great information. I haven't found anything else here on CC that was as extensive about the Magic.

We will be on our first Disney cruise, 8 days on the Magic, out of Galveston in May. We have done many RCL cruises, so we are looking forward to a unique experience that Disney offers. I was so pleased with your perspective of being on this Disney cruise with a group of adults since our cruise will only be my husband and myself. Our kids are grown, so even if they were to come along, it would still be all adults. :)

I'm wishing you and your family the best with your husband's surgery and hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

Thanks again for the time it took to post this!

Thanks so much for reading along. I really had a nice time and I enjoyed the ship.

I had a great time with just adults only as well. I do hope I can bring my daughter back some day and sail her again and try it that way.

I got changed. I wanted to go to a towel animal class. No one else had seemed interested, which was OK by me. I think Lisa went back to the pool.

I found a seat quickly. I seemed to have a good view from what I could tell. We were given some towels and a sheet with some directions.

towelclass1.jpg

towelclass2.jpg

While I was waiting for it to start, a Mom came in with her 2 sons. They sat down in the row in front of me, but luckily they were not blocking my view. But I found them kind of annoying. Mostly because the Mom was a loud bragger talker. You know the kind, they talk really loud so you can’t help but hear every word they say and then it’s about things they are sort of bragging about and then you see them kind of look around to see if others heard and wanting a reaction. I really can’t stand those kinds of people. I can take them in small doses, but she just kept going on and on and on about things. Things that had nothing to do with the class.

So she bragged away and I played around with my camera and then all of a sudden the Dad of the family surprised them and walked in. Well she got even louder then. She was so excited that Dad chose to come to the class, and blah blah blah, but we ALL heard about it. And of course he sat right in front of me and his head was totally blocking my view, so I ended up moving my chair so I could see better.

Soon our host arrived and he brought up another helper who just kept making towels for show.

towelclass3.jpg

towelclass4.jpg

He told the kids to go out on the floor where you would have more room and loud talking Mom went out as well, but she still never shut up.

towelclass5.jpg

We were instructed on a few towels. I thought it was fun.

towelclass6.jpg

towelclass13.jpg

I had the most trouble with the monkey, but I am sure with practice I could master him.

towelclass14.jpg

After we were done, I went and took some pictures of some of the sample animals.

towelclass15.jpg

towelclass16.jpg

towelclass17.jpg

After the class I just went around and took more pictures on the ship.

helmsmickey1.jpg

Archived