Why is sailing out of Baltimore so much more expensive than sailing out of NJ

When researching cruises, there is a dramatic difference in prices for

cruises with the same itinerary, depending on whether they leave... Port Liberty NJ or Baltimore. For a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean with the standard ports of Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas, and St Maarten, the difference in a balcony cabin is usually around $400 pp ($1149 on Explorer vs $1549 for Grandeur).

I think I know the stock answer to this question, that the ships are smaller so the profit margin is less,but, are they that much smaller? I would also think that port charges would be much less in MD. It's a captive

market in the Southeast corridor (Baltimore is the only option), and it looks

like RCLL is taking advantage. The cruises seem to sell very well, and RC is the only alternative is Carnival (no thanks !!). These cruises don't seem to ever be discounted as the departure date gets close, and , with a difference of $800 +, it's driving a lot of us to drive up to the NY area. Please give us a break, RCLL , and let us sail from our neighborhoods......or

add more interesting B'more options.

I, like loads of other DC area cruisers,would love to see more sailing options , and rue the day that Celebrity left the area. How about National Harbor as a new port addition ? It would be a very attractive destination for US and non US cruisers, with tourist ,restaurant, and entertainment options galore, and gambling on the immediate horizon.

Just venting my frustration........

Obviously I do not know the official answer to this question but my guess is that there are at least two factors.

Explorer has more berths so that could be a reason. More passengers to spread out the costs. More berths also means that there is more supply so that could also be a difference. The berths on the Grandeur being in shorter supply could create higher prices. Baltimore has proven to be a good port for RCI. However, the ship needs to be able to clear the bridges so the larger RCI ships cannot be placed in Baltimore.

Cruising out of Baltimore also means cruising the length of the Chesapeake Bay. The pilot is required to be on board the ship for the entire transit which takes approximately 9 hours so the cost is going to be higher than for a ship that can release the pilot within an hour or so of leaving port.

From Baltimore the ship goes under the Key Bridge, the Bay Bridge and also over the tunnel portion of the Bay Bridge/Tunnel. It is a different cruise experience than being in the Ocean, especially for one that has crossed those bridges many times.

I actually just moved from the DC area to NY (after having made the reverse move several years earlier lol) so I've sailed from both ports. I'm a little surprised at the price difference too. Only thing I can think of is supply/demand. EOS is significantly larger and has more cabins to fill. Now, the NY market is also significantly larger.... soo....

It'll be interesting to see if this price difference sustains. Carnival Pride is not a bad ship (Spirit Class is quite nice IMHO) but Pride's itineraries are awful. Personally, I'm more inclined to try Norwegian Breakaway out of the NY area than return to the Explorer (despite my Diamond status on RCI), but I do really hope they'll replace Explorer with a Sunshine ship!

cruises with the same itinerary, depending on whether they leave... Port Liberty NJ or Baltimore. For a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean with the standard ports of Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas, and St Maarten, the difference in a balcony cabin is usually around $400 pp ($1149 on Explorer vs $1549 for Grandeur).

I think I know the stock answer to this question, that the ships are smaller so the profit margin is less,but, are they that much smaller? I would also think that port charges would be much less in MD. It's a captive

like RCLL is taking advantage. The cruises seem to sell very well, and RC is the only alternative is Carnival (no thanks !!). These cruises don't seem to ever be discounted as the departure date gets close, and , with a difference of $800 +, it's driving a lot of us to drive up to the NY area. Please give us a break, RCLL , and let us sail from our neighborhoods......or

I, like loads of other DC area cruisers,would love to see more sailing options , and rue the day that Celebrity left the area. How about National Harbor as a new port addition ? It would be a very attractive destination for US and non US cruisers, with tourist ,restaurant, and entertainment options galore, and gambling on the immediate horizon.

I didn't realize that there was that much of a difference. We always book an inside cabin, so maybe that makes a difference. But, we have gotten a lot of good deals from Baltimore. Plus, the parking is less expensive and I think the port is easier for boarding and debarkation. But, I love the Explorer more, even though it is a longer distance for us to travel. I did find an alternate parking for Bayonne which is only about $12 a day and free shuttle to the cruise port.

I like both ports and those are the only ones within an easy drive for us. We cruised from Newport News a couple times, on Carnival. I wish they would open that port again only with more options of cruise lines. The bad thing about Baltimore is that it takes 8 hrs.+ to get out into open water.

Happy cruising.

Another big factor is the Bay itself. Due to EPA regulations NOTHING can be discharged into the Bay, this means even the treated water that would be discharged at most any other port. This effectively shuts the laundries down for 24+ hours counting the port and transit time. The other factor is the ships cannot burn their normal bunker fuel but have to use a more expensive "cleaner" fuel in the engines, again for 24+ hours. Add that to the cost of the pilot and possibly higher docking fees and there you have it.

Baltimore is a very nice port and, when the situation arises, we will be happy to sail from there as it is within driving distance of Pittsburgh.

It's supply and demand and competition. With multiple piers in Manhattan and Brooklyn and Bayonne within miles of each other, there are many options in the New York area compared to Baltimore's choice of 2 ships.

The bridge issue further limits Baltimore's options. But DC is worse, so National Harbor is a non-starter. The bridge on 301 only has a 135 foot clearance.

Isn´t the answer quite obvious? They will charge whatever the market gives.

Obviously they are not in the business to discount cruises, but to maximize their profits. So if they fill the ship with high rates they should do so.

I did find an alternate parking for Bayonne which is only about $12 a day and free shuttle to the cruise port.

Not to get too far off the subject of this thread, but.....

What/where did you find parking for $12/day and a shuttle to the port?

We'd love to sail out of Baltimore, too, but the price between a 5-day and a 10-day made the decision simple. So, Cape Liberty, here we come!! Now that we get a D balcony discount (don't think we'll ever sail in an inside or even a oceanview), maybe a cruise from Baltimore is doable.

Thank you for your answer, MedicKen. It cleared up a lot of the price discrepancies for me.

This is, collectively, maybe the best answers I've received to a CC post.

No sarcasm, just real, relevant, information that is well thought out.

Good job posters ! I will admit that my thinking was perhaps a little

superficial.....I had no idea about the Bay restrictions, and the pilot

requirements.

This is, collectively, maybe the best answers I've received to a CC post.

No sarcasm, just real, relevant, information that is well thought out.

Good job posters ! I will admit that my thinking was perhaps a little

superficial.....I had no idea about the Bay restrictions, and the pilot

requirements.

I second that emotion! I'd also like to know about the $12 a day parking...

Another thing to take into consideration, again having to do with supply and demand, is the number of balcony cabins available. The Explorer has five decks of balcony cabins and suites while Grandeur only has two and one of those is almost all JS and above. The prices for non-balcony cabins are higher on Grandeur but not as large a difference as with balcony cabins.

Not to get too far off the subject of this thread, but.....

What/where did you find parking for $12/day and a shuttle to the port?

It is called Premier Parking. Here is the link:Port Liberty cruise parking - Premier Parking USA

I haven't personally used it yet, but will be in Dec. You have to make reservations. I have heard mostly good things about it. I will let you know after I use it. I recently talked to friends that have used it and they were happy with it.

Gwen :)

I live in Bayonne and deal with a lot cruise people. I would say I heard a lot of bad about the off site parking and the lot is not in a good spot no security.

I agree with harleymouse. I have heard the same and also there is quite a wait to shuttle back to your car.

Were the prices between Baltimore and NJ so different with Enchantment cruises? Grandeur has gone through the refurbishment so RC has probably increased prices for that.

By my observation, RC has always maintained higher fares out of Baltimore since Grandeur was first ported here. It is a central location in a huge metropolitan market most people underestimate. The terminal is convenient, the port experience painless, budget-friendly hotel and parking packages widely available. It is not uncommon for drive-ins from Ohio to make the trip rather than fly - which is has become quite a turnoff in itself.

As to an earlier comment regarding destinations, location is the issue. Where can one go inside a week, which is the bread-and-butter vacation cruise length? RC tries by offering longer cruises to more distant ports in the Caribbean, creating other issues, like departure days, for potential customers.

We often cruise out of Baltimore. The things you have said about the port are all true. It is so convenient. Even for those flying in. The port and airport are near by (cheap shuttle price) and Baltimore often has cheaper airfare than the other Washington airports.

We cruised out of Norfolk on Carnival and Celebrity Mercury from Baltimore. We miss both of those.

Carnival had to discount cruises from Norfolk and they moved their ship to Baltimore.(Pride) It is full from there. Norfolk is a very deep port and convenient to the Atlantic--but, is just a bit to far for the Mid-Atlantic cities.

I have sailed from Baltimore with guests that drove in from Canada.:eek:

We are sailing on the Explorer of the Seas on Sunday (yeah!) out of Cape Liberty for the first time. We selected this cruise because it has a longer port time in Bermuda than the Baltimore cruises because they must cruise the Bay.

But, the other aspects of a NYC/NJ cruise are pricey ( parking and hotel, etc) and we are not looking forward to your traffic. We grew up in No VA and drive the DC beltway frequently--but, every time I have been in a vehicle in the NY/NJ area it has been a " train wreck." :eek:

It is called Premier Parking. Here is the link:Port Liberty cruise parking - Premier Parking USA

I haven't personally used it yet, but will be in Dec. You have to make reservations. I have heard mostly good things about it. I will let you know after I use it. I recently talked to friends that have used it and they were happy with it.

Gwen :)

Please research Premier Parking on the East Coast board. There are serious concerns about their lack of insurance which one of the CC members has checked into. Both you and your car are at risk for being uninsured for a port shuttle accident or car damage. Essentially it's buyer beware.

People need to learn to NOT be penny wise and pound foolish....

you could really have an issue saving 7 bucks a day and leaving your car in a lot, and being driven by people, are likely not properly licensed and insured...NJ is a very weird state with strange and strict laws...designed to protect consumers...

it is highly likely that the off site lot is NOT correctly licensed and insured to carry passengers in their vans ......pay the extra money and have the safety and convenience of leaving your car AT the PORT in Bayonne..

People need to learn to NOT be penny wise and pound foolish....

you could really have an issue saving 7 bucks a day and leaving your car in a lot, and being driven by people, are likely not properly licensed and insured...NJ is a very weird state with strange and strict laws...designed to protect consumers...

it is highly likely that the off site lot is NOT correctly licensed and insured to carry passengers in their vans ......pay the extra money and have the safety and convenience of leaving your car AT the PORT in Bayonne..

Thanks for the concern. I will check it out, but I really haven't heard anything bad about it. I do know that most places are not responsible or liable for damage or theft either. I also find it hard to believe they are not insured when transporting passengers. That is a really dumb way to operate. It is not just a local company. They have places all over the US. It is really up to our son, who will be driving. But, I will definitely check into it.

Thanks.........

Its really no mystery, RC charges exactly what they can and still have the occupancy they are shooting for. Thats why cruises cost less when kids are in school, and why prices shot up on the Enchantment when Celebrity Mercury left Baltimore.

On a percent basis, Vision-class ships like Enchantment and Grandeur almost always get a larger premium for balconies than the modern ships, simply because there are less of them. Cruises out of Baltimore are a great chance to find out that you can have a great cruise in an inside.

Archived