ipad and Internet cots on Nieu Amsterdam

Hello !!

Next week we're on the Nieu Amsterdam - Venice to Barcelona ....I'd like to take my ipad for emails and internet use ...Can anyone tell me what their experience has been in terms of the cost of any plans or charges for this ....also - did you find the internet worked well on board or was it really slow ......Thanks a lot - John Daniels

Hello !!

Next week we're on the Nieu Amsterdam - Venice to Barcelona ....I'd like to take my ipad for emails and internet use ...Can anyone tell me what their experience has been in terms of the cost of any plans or charges for this ....also - did you find the internet worked well on board or was it really slow ......Thanks a lot - John Daniels

I used my Ipad last Feb on the NA and it worked great. I forgot the exact price but you can buy blocks of time like 100 minutes and such. Seems like they had a deal the first day of the cruise also.

These were the packages offered on our summer cruise on the Amsterdam:

Internet Prices

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Plan 4 -- $175 for 500 minutes

Plan 5 -- $250 for 1000 minutes

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

Check the daily Explorer program for other specials offered during the cruise.

a couple of tips the piano man taught me on the Prinsendam - don't try to use the internet while there are computer classes - they get priority. Check your TV for Fox - if it is clear then the internet should be fairly good (it is slower than at home usually). Early in the morning and late at night are when the fewest people are usually on and the best times to access it.

a couple of tips the piano man taught me on the Prinsendam - don't try to use the internet while there are computer classes - they get priority. Check your TV for Fox - if it is clear then the internet should be fairly good (it is slower than at home usually). Early in the morning and late at night are when the fewest people are usually on and the best times to access it.

Great advice kazu!!

We were on the Eurodam last year, Nieuw Amsterdam's sister ship. Wefi reception was better the closer you go to the Neptune Lounge or the Crow's Nest. Our cabin was in the aft, and we had to move to Ocean Bar (toward the middle of the ship) to get a signal sometimes.
You just need to be as close as possible to one of the antenna cones shown in this picture, whether that is in a public lounge or the hallway of a cabin deck.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106854&d=1235329145

Does anybody know what would happen if one gets frustrated by a SLOW connection and just closes the lid of laptop or system freezes up because of slowness? Will the connection automatically terminate and stop the "meter" on time charges? Is it necessary to properly log off?

Does anybody know what would happen if one gets frustrated by a SLOW connection and just closes the lid of laptop or system freezes up because of slowness? Will the connection automatically terminate and stop the "meter" on time charges? Is it necessary to properly log off?

It will NOT log off!! That happened to me a couple of times. I actually l logged back on & logged off to make sure I was logged off. NEVER assume you're logged off unless you see the screen change to the red line that reads: "you are officially logged off".

Ditto what boze9999 just said. If you can't verify that you're properly disconnected, go see the Internet Manager immediately, and he can cut off your session. If he's not on duty, make a note of the time you attempted to log off, and maybe later you can talk him into restoring time that went down the drain.

Archived