Travel Sized Stuff

Calkacky

I will be on a Monday - Saturday cruise and probably will arrive in the port city the day before so I will need stuff for 7 days. I'm not flying so wieght is not an issue. I'm just trying to think of space since I'm a chronic overpacker. :D Anyway, do travel sized bottles of stuff like shampoo, conditioner, mousse, face wash, etc. typically last you that long? I really don't want to have to take full sized bottles if I don't have to. Any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They generally do - you can always get 'bigger' bottles (not full size of course) and decant your favorite products?

Another suggestion is to put away your regular products when there is only about 1/4-1/3 left (or enuf for a 7 day cruise) - bring those on the cruise where you can FINISH THEM AND THROW AWAY THE EMPTY BOTTLE - this has worked great for me!

I also take one of those sponges filled with shower gel (spongelle) which lasts like 10-14 showers and is great - just throw it away when I"m done.

If flying isn't an issue, just bring nearly empty bottles of your normal stuff. Weight won't be an issue...so it doesn't matter.

Bring gallons, if you want.

I can't find "travel sized" stuff that I like...they don't carry my brands...bring what you want, if you aren't flying. The ship has no restrictions.

We are both going to carry ons only this cruise. I've scaled down what I need several times and (I) have been using a carry on for the past few cruises. (Hubby not so much:rolleyes:) Both of us have taken full sized items with us, however I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-1-Quart-Zip-Top-Plastic-Bottles/dp/B001HDZQ9O for our next cruises since we plan to roll our luggage off ourselves. I color my hair and would prefer to use what I buy at the salon. I used the smaller bottles on our last cruise and they lasted.

I wish there were more brands that were in disposable bottles and smaller sized makeup selections.

I have a couple different sizes of bottles I'll refill, depending on the length of my trip, so I can't answer the question you pose - "travel size" can be anything from half an oz up to 3.4 oz, so.....

If you have time before your trip, why don't you fill some appropriately sized bottles with product and use them normally at home and see how long they last?

(I like Go-Toobs for travel, but not for sticking in the 3-1-1 bag for carry-on - mine are the right volumes but they take up too much space)

They generally do - you can always get 'bigger' bottles (not full size of course) and decant your favorite products?

Another suggestion is to put away your regular products when there is only about 1/4-1/3 left (or enuf for a 7 day cruise) - bring those on the cruise where you can FINISH THEM AND THROW AWAY THE EMPTY BOTTLE - this has worked great for me!

I also take one of those sponges filled with shower gel (spongelle) which lasts like 10-14 showers and is great - just throw it away when I"m done.

I have never heard of these sponges...where can I find them in Ottawa...sounds like a terrific idea!!!

Everyone uses products differently. I can get at least 7 washings out of a normal travel size shampoo bottle. It lasts 3 washings for DH.:rolleyes:

For us a tube of travel toothpaste is good for 14 brushings.

Do a test run. Either buy travel sizes or bottles (and put your product into it) and test how long it will last you.

Right now I am testing how many days I can get out of a 1.5ml eyedrop bottle full of Argan Oil. Today was day 31.

Hopefully this won't leak as the small bottle wrapped in plastic placed into two ziplock bags did in my checkthru luggage. Stunk the whole apt for the 2 weeks we were there and our suiter has a nice oil stain.:mad:

I have never heard of these sponges...where can I find them in Ottawa...sounds like a terrific idea!!!

They are fabulous (and hard to find! - I have a small stash).

I used to find them at Winner's (in the soap section) - and also found a few at the rideau centre at that 'make up place' - you know where they do the makeovers? don't remember the name.

If all else fails do a search on ebay (spongelle) - good luck!

P.S. They also make great gifts for travellers :D

Amazon has them. They're expensive, but there are some other brands that are less. Too expensive to justify for daily use, but convenient for travel. I can't imagine using the same wash cloth for 15+ days, without washing, but I guess these are "self-cleaning". :o

Empty travel size bottles are easy to find everywhere. Look in CVS, Walgreen's and the like but the best travel size container I have found lately is at Rite Aid. They sell empty, refillable tubes. Some of my favorite lotions come in tubes and are heavy and more than I need for 14 days away. The fillable tubes at Rite Aid for about $1.98 are perfect. I now put liquids in the travel size bottles, even two if I need that much and when empty, I either toss them or bring home the empty one I've washed out and is ready to use again.

I buy travel size toothpaste and hair spray, and use refillable bottles for pretty much everything else. Instead of my usual facial cleanser and toner, I use the towelettes like Pond's that don't count as liquids. I kind of thought the same thing as the poster above about using the same sponge day after day -- I use the washcloths and soap/body cleanser that the ship provides.

Another GoToobs person here. I've got several sizes/colors of them. I love the size that has the suction cup on it - I paste it on the mirror and have one less thing to keep on the counters. One thing, though - do NOT put your MoroccanOil in them - it gets totally absorbed!!! NOW, I know why they package MO in glass bottles :-)

If you have a Sephora store nearby, make a pre-trip trip there. They have many different sample/travel sizes of all sorts of lotions/potions/makeup/etc.

One word to those who buy those "special" 3-1-1 bags instead of using the commodity quart zip bags (aka "Ziplock"): Just be aware that some TSA clerks will fight you on those bags since they are not ZipLocks. Even if it's clear, it's not what they have been trained to see and they will tell you it's not allowed. So, carry a quart baggie with you, just in case...

That is totally true about the ziplock baggie! There are those agents who stick to the "letter of the law" as it is written in the rules! And then there are those agents who aren't sure and will err on the side of caution (like my totally legal little scissors that they took away). And then there are those who let the most amazingly wrong items go thru! So when in doubt, go with a strict interpretation of the rules and you will be as safe as you can be under the circumstances! :rolleyes:

Another GoToobs person here. I've got several sizes/colors of them. I love the size that has the suction cup on it - I paste it on the mirror and have one less thing to keep on the counters. One thing, though - do NOT put your MoroccanOil in them - it gets totally absorbed!!! NOW, I know why they package MO in glass bottles :-)

quote]

My argan oil has been doing good in my eyedropper bottles. (empty Systane/Genteel bottles) Maybe because of the different composition of the plastic?

Make sure the bag you are using is truly quart size. A sandwich bag is smaller. Did that mistake once.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone uses products differently. I can get at least 7 washings out of a normal travel size shampoo bottle. It lasts 3 washings for DH.:rolleyes:

For us a tube of travel toothpaste is good for 14 brushings.

Do a test run. Either buy travel sizes or bottles (and put your product into it) and test how long it will last you.

Right now I am testing how many days I can get out of a 1.5ml eyedrop bottle full of Argan Oil. Today was day 31.

Hopefully this won't leak as the small bottle wrapped in plastic placed into two ziplock bags did in my checkthru luggage. Stunk the whole apt for the 2 weeks we were there and our suiter has a nice oil stain.:mad:

I put my travel sized bottle of oil in an empty pill bottle...no leaks! :D

I have an obsession with the mini's!:eek: I think it harkens back to the days of trying to find everything under the sun for Barbie...:rolleyes: I buy the refillable tubes and do just that, refill them after every cruise and put back in the travel back...ready to go on the next one....and that way I have the brands I want, not just the brands they sell in travel size....:)

I put my travel sized bottle of oil in an empty pill bottle...no leaks! :D

Thanks

Might have to test that-- Medicine bottle and veggie oil (Argan is too expensive to use for a test.)

I could never get 7 days out of a travel size shampoo/conditiner. i wash and save those little plastic containers that salad dressing and sauces come in. The kind you get when you get salads etc. to-go. I put most every kind of liquid or cream in them and then toss at the end of the trip. It's very easy to measure the amount of foundation or moisturizer needed. Shampoo and conditioner are the only items I put in bigger containers. I also save and reuse tiny containers that makeup samples come in. I like to toss empties on trips/

Archived