Elite Cocktail Hour, Select Dining, Teens

Cruise Arizona

I just read in another thread that Elite Cocktail Hour is only for 21 and older. I have no problem with this, but I just needs suggestions on how to rethink my schedule for the evenings.

We'll be traveling with our two teens 15 and 16, (Are they really that old??) My husband and I very much enjoyed the cocktail hour last year on the Equinox when it was just us sailing, but we hated the down time between the cocktail hour and the 8:30 dinner time, so we thought we'd try Select and schedule dinner for around 7:30 most nights. We also usually enjoy music and conversation with the kids before dinner.

So I'm thinking that Hubby and I can get dressed for the evening and make our way to the cocktail hour and the teens can have a choice of staying later in the teen program and then using that time to dress for dinner, or dressing for dinner earlier and going to the teen club at that time. The only problem is that I am not sure there will be teen activities from 5-7? Any thoughts on that?

Any other suggestions on evening scheduling are appreciated.

Most likely there will not be any Celebrity-sponsored activities in that time slot. They will likely meet others their age on board and plan to "hang out" with them, but I wouldn't expect to find any organized activities in the late afternoon and early evening.

I just read in another thread that Elite Cocktail Hour is only for 21 and older. I have no problem with this, but I just needs suggestions on how to rethink my schedule for the evenings.

We'll be traveling with our two teens 15 and 16, (Are they really that old??) My husband and I very much enjoyed the cocktail hour last year on the Equinox when it was just us sailing, but we hated the down time between the cocktail hour and the 8:30 dinner time, so we thought we'd try Select and schedule dinner for around 7:30 most nights. We also usually enjoy music and conversation with the kids before dinner.

So I'm thinking that Hubby and I can get dressed for the evening and make our way to the cocktail hour and the teens can have a choice of staying later in the teen program and then using that time to dress for dinner, or dressing for dinner earlier and going to the teen club at that time. The only problem is that I am not sure there will be teen activities from 5-7? Any thoughts on that?

Any other suggestions on evening scheduling are appreciated.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Most likely there will not be any Celebrity-sponsored activities in that time slot. They will likely meet others their age on board and plan to "hang out" with them, but I wouldn't expect to find any organized activities in the late afternoon and early evening.

I agree with above comment as I have traveled with my kids when they were teens. The teen programs really become a place for the kids to meet each other, they then sort of go off and do things that interest themselves.

there is nothing for younger people. i would think they will be in the pool with friends until the last minute. thry can buy a soda at the pool bar and just hsng out.. thry are allowed to sit anywhere they want on the ship and talk.

also the early show is at 7 pm at night.. you and the family can do that and go to dinner after that.. it will be busy at that time.. i think you can make rezie's for thst time.. i did for a group several nights.

I can't believe they are this old!!! Our last cruise with them was when they were in 6th and 8th grade, and though my son was technically a teen at 13, he was still in middle school and shorter than me. Still very much a kid.

It is going to be so different now that they are teens. I don't want them doing a lot of hanging out, but I suppose they are going to want to do their own thing even more now that they are older. I am usually quite strict with them in that I expect good behavior at all time, expect them to be respectful of other passengers, and spend most of their time at organized activities. I guess I might need to be a bit more relaxed on the last part.

Hubby and I changed our cruise from one just for us from Sydney to Honolulu to these two BTB with the kids because we know they are getting older and we want to take the chance to spend time with them while we still have them at home.

We haven't cruised Celebrity yet, but last year on Princess there were plenty of planned activities for the teens. When we got to our room there were special little booklets from the teen room for the boys listing activities for the duration of the cruise. They really liked getting those, it made them feel more included- if that's the right word.

However having said that, they don't usually have planned activities during dinner time. I'd say that 5-7 timeframe because they believe the kids will eat with the rest of their family. But I think they did have one of the advisors in the room during that time, so the kids could be there. Depending on the group, sometimes they'd do an unplanned activity with the kids.

We made sure they'd check in with us at certain times during the day and they had a curfew on being back in the room.

Evening activities start when early seating is finished, usually around 8:00-8:30 if first seating is at 6:00. My teens when they were your children's ages only did some of the organized activities. Many times went in the hot tub or just hung out in the club. I did not allow them to "wonder around". I would do random check, to keep them honest ;). The very very most important thing is for them to go to the first night activities. This is when they will meet everyone. I cannot stress how important this first night is. Enjoy your cruise

Suzanne,

I can relate...

We've actually started booking Select Dining for that very reason...We have time to enjoy a drink or two during the Elite hours...and then head to the Dining Room...We do try to do dinner immediately after, though, so we have plenty of time to eat and then go to the show...

It worked out well that way on our last cruise...

As to the kids, ours are a little older than yours...

We started taking them on cruises when they were 3 and 5...

And they grew up cruising...

But, the last time we were able to have both girls with us on a cruise was when they were 18 an 20...Then college schedules and other commitments started getting in the way...The older daughter has done one cruise with us since--because her Winter Break from Columbia lasted longer than the younger one's winter break at Davis...so, it only worked for one of them...

Now, our girls are 26 and 28...and we're finally taking them again in December...The older one is getting her Doctorate at University of San Francisco and working at the school...but our cruise fits into her Winter Break...and the younger one is working full time up in Sacramento...and she can take a eek's vacation from her job...So, we decided to invite them along...Lucky for all of us, both are now old enough to get the free drinks during the drinking hours!!

Now, what I noticed with the girls as they were cruising as teens, is that they made friends at the teen program...but then found things to do with their new friends by themselves...there didn't have to be a program activity...

Now, what I would be tempted to do is to see if I could sneak the kids into the Elite lounge...and let them just order Cokes and "virgin" drinks...Maybe make friends with the Captains' Club hostess and see if she would let you get away with it as long as they were well behaved and unobtrusive...

Good luck...and enjoy those kids while you can still do this...

"Now, what I would be tempted to do is to see if I could sneak the kids into the Elite lounge...and let them just order Cokes and "virgin" drinks...Maybe make friends with the Captains' Club hostess and see if she would let you get away with it as long as they were well behaved and unobtrusive"

Oh please don't consider this.

What a can of worms that opens up.

For one thing, if they make an exception for your family, what about all the other families on board who would also like to bring their kids.

It is an adult cocktail party. The invitation clearly states that you need to be over 21 to attend.

Archived