Dinner jacket rquired?

luv2cruz62

:confused:My husband will be cruising to the Caribbean at the end of November. I was wondering if the dinning room staff would have a problem with him just wearing a shirt and tie for dinner? He gets very hot :eek: wearing a jacket, and because he is flying from Canada, weight is an issue in the luggage, so if he does not NEED a jacket, he will leave it at home. We cruised on Princess last winter, and they didn't bat an eye with him just in a shirt and tie.

Thanks for any feedback!

HAL's requirement for formal nights in Main Dining Room are jacket and tie for gentlemen. If DH does not wish to bring a jacket, you can eat in Lido and no jacket is required there. Most of us are flying to the ship so many of us have the same weight considerations for our luggage. A jacket really does not add that much weight to a suitcase and he could always consider wearing it on the plane. No weight problem then. :)

He doesn't need a dinner jacket, but he will need at least a sports jacket at dinner on formal nights, if he plans to eat in the dining room, or the Pinnacle Grille.

If he doesn't want to wear a jacket, he can eat in the Lido, Canaletto, or have room service.

If he does want to eat in the dining room, he can wear the jacket en route. Lots of men do that to save packing space.

Required for MDR on formal night..... Unless you put up enough of a fuss! Sad but true, an argument will get you in without a jacket, I have seen it too many times. Angers me because even though I make the effort to pack my suit, those who choose not to just walk in anyways. End of rant :)

Your husband can certainly rent a tux as an option, BUT at the risk of being flamed(I'm putting on my asbestos suit as I write this) I think he'll be ok without a jacket.

On our last cruise my DH wore a suit as he always does, I always wear a nice dress because I love to dress nicely, but my 18 year old son wore dress pants, dress shirt and a tie. He was fine the first formal night, but the second formal night they wouldn't let him in, and the manager went off to find him a jacket. Luckily Imam (known to some as Hunky Dory) who knew us and every one else it seems:) whisked us to our table.

I should explain that I would love to buy my son a nice suit. Unfortunately he is really into weightlifting and bodybuilding and it likely wouldn't fit a month later. A rented tux is not custom, so he would simply look like a fat man as it would fit his shoulders.

As a side note, my son and his father were dressed nicely (dress pants, polo shirt or button down) for all the non formal nights, while some showed up in tattered jeans and t shirts. I would like to see a certain standard of dress EVERY night in the dining room. Anyway that's a whole other thread!

Anyway, if your husband really feels a jacket takes too much room, it's possible they will give him one to wear.

As per HAL's web site:

Is There A Dress Code?

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered on select cruises by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board

Air conditioning in the dining room aboard HAL ships borders on the glacial so wearing a jacket will not be uncomfortably warm. We also fly from Canada and my husband manages to bring a tux, blazer and pants, as well as another jacket and pants outfit.

HAL's requirement for formal nights in Main Dining Room are jacket and tie for gentlemen. If DH does not wish to bring a jacket, you can eat in Lido and no jacket is required there. Most of us are flying to the ship so many of us have the same weight considerations for our luggage. A jacket really does not add that much weight to a suitcase and he could always consider wearing it on the plane. No weight problem then. :)

You neglected to mention that no formalwear is required in the Canaletto as well on formal night! ;)

Air conditioning in the dining room aboard HAL ships borders on the glacial so wearing a jacket will not be uncomfortably warm. We also fly from Canada and my husband manages to bring a tux, blazer and pants, as well as another jacket and pants outfit.

Perhaps from your experience sailing on HAL ships but not from mine! ;)

DH does not like wearing jackets due to the heat generated getting around on his crutches

He has compromised by wearing the jacket into the MDR or Pinnacle, then we remove it and hang it on his chair while he eats. He is comfortable and he has followed protocol.

Weighing in on this thread as we just dis-embarked the Zuiderdam where we had four formal nights. There was a family sitting at the table beside us in the MDR - on formal night the gentleman wore blue jeans and a sports coat - no tie and no fancy dress shirt!

I thought that on formal nights, jackets weren't required in the Pinnacle.

If they are, are ties required as well?

The Pinncale, of all places, follows the dress code for the public areas of the ship.

People tend to dress nicely for the Pinnacle even on the last night of the cruise.

Yes, the dress code for "formal" night is jackets and ties for men. A tux, with the type of shirt that calls for a jeweled stud, would be an obvious exception to the "and tie" code.

My DH takes one suit case for a 14 day cruise. He brings his Tux, two sports coat and all the other things like pants, shirts, underclothes, shoes etc.. We flew and his suit case weight was 45 pounds. Now I will say we put his shoes in a carry on but he brings his patten leathers, other dress shoes, and casuals, lots of weight. You can do it and no one says you can't take your jacket off when you sit down to eat for dinner. As others have said, the ship is air conditioned so he should be comfortable.

...I don't know why people book a cruise on HAL and then wank about the dress code. :rolleyes:

One of my all time favorite postings in a dress code thread!

I didn't realize the only difference between Carnival/NCL/Royal Caribbean, etc... and HAL is that HAL has a much more formal dress code. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. This will be my husbands first HAL cruise, but he is travelling with his mother who is a 4 star (and leaving me at home :(). I think the best idea is to wear his jacket on the plane, and then take it off when dining! Thanks again!!

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. This will be my husbands first HAL cruise, but he is travelling with his mother who is a 4 star (and leaving me at home :(). I think the best idea is to wear his jacket on the plane, and then take it off when dining! Thanks again!!

We are going on our first HAL cruise Dec 7- been on other cruise lines, I would like hear what men are wearing on the MDR on formal nights and on regualr evening. Have fun!!

I'm not really a big fan of formal night, but we loved it when we first started cruising and 95% of the men wore tuxedos and the women were decked out to the nines in formal gowns. It really was a beautiful sight to see. On one cruise there was a guy who wore a tuxedo shirt, black tie and coat with denim bib overalls. They let him in the MDR.

Now, I just take along a sports coat and neck tie. There is nothing formal about formal night anymore, but I still like to wear a jacket and tie to the Pinnacle Grill.:)

Archived