Help needed re connecting flight at Ohare

alexandra cruiser

Not sure if I have enough time,,AA just moved up my flight so I have only 1hr.and 40 min.to get from Asiana(terminal 5(,thru customs,passport,etc) to get to next flight....this is on my way home,,so not as crucial,,but is this doable??Looked at map,,,not sure how they get flight terminal 5 ,,is it bus,tram,etc?

What should I do,,try to rebook?take a chance?get list of next flights:confused: if I need them?:confused:

I live in the Chicago area, so I cannot say if it is enough time connecting from any experience. I can tell you that they have a very good tram system that will get you from International terminal to the connecting terminal that i have used with remote parking. Therefore the actual transportation will not be an issue.

I am not quite sure what the minimum connection time at O'Hare for International to Domestic is, but that has to be close. It would definitely be very close, even if everything is on time.

Immigration can be quick at ORD, but it can also be very slow. Your arrival time is key - between 12pm and 4pm, you are looking at all of the European flights arriving (well not all, but many), and that can slow things down. Earlier and later, you may be better.

Baggage claim can take a while too, especially coming off the larger aircraft. The customs line can get pretty long, but they do move it along pretty well. Just hope you don't get pulled aside for further screening. After that, you will throw your bag to AA at the International Terminal for re-check.

After that, you have to hop on the tram, which can take several minutes to wait for. The AA terminal (T3) is the first stop, about 2 minutes down the road (maybe less). You'll then go down in to the terminal and through security. Security has the same issue - it tends to be pretty quick, but can (at times) be quite slow.

All in all, 1:40 is going to be pretty tight, and certainly stressful and uncomfortable.

Been through O'Hare many times --Zach is correct in that it is very variable. We try to allow 2 1/2 -3 hrs when going through immigration, customs, and security when returning to the US. I would check to see if there is a later domestic flight --as AA made the change making a change should not be a problem.

Been through O'Hare many times --Zach is correct in that it is very variable. We try to allow 2 1/2 -3 hrs when going through immigration, customs, and security when returning to the US. I would check to see if there is a later domestic flight --as AA made the change making a change should not be a problem.

As an AA frequent flier and frequent international traveler, ORD is a big hub for my travels. I too try to allow 3 or so hours just for comfort reasons - I'd prefer to get home slightly later than stress about it.

on AA,,but have some connecting(5hrs rather than 2 and half) ,,,arrive at 8 35 am on Asiana,,then AA at 10 15am...on a Wed.,,will that "HELP"??

Also,, if I miss flight ,,do I get a refund..or must I book another then with AA regardless??Don t even see another direct flight with another airline at good time..whew...

Did look at all available and printed out,,,do they ever switch airlines to accomodate you??Odd,,but in 20 yrs of flying,,never had that happen,,lucky,,I know.:confused:

Are these booked together? AA and Asiana aren't partners so most likely you won't be protected of you miss your connection. And no 1 hr 40 minutes is NOT enough to connect international to domestic at ORD

You will not get a refund if you miss your connection.

If you booked through a travel agent you need to be asking them for help now.

internet agency,,,but called AA and they said "it was legal connection time""....also they re the ones who changed flight times and would book me on next flight(as long as open,of course,,)

Guess I can cancel AA and book another,,,but will I lose the money since AA made change??Just take my chances,,,?? Other airlines have later ,connecting flights,,,,must I pay penalty if AA says "time ok"???:confused:

that's not necessarily the case. It's possible to have ticketing agreements without being partners.

True, but don't believe this is the case with these two airlines:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booking_Ticketing/eticketing/AA_electronic_ticketing.jsp

Not sure I totally understand OP, because if it was two separate tickets, why would AA be telling OP anything about "legal connection times"?

IIRC, this is part of a multi-part trip, including flights in China, open jaws and more. At the time, I thought that this was a combination of conso tickets pieced together by one of the oneline "Big Three". As for the MCT, I think that a lazy agent may just have quoted the time without looking at the actual itinerary.

Still betting that it is two separate tickets.

True, but don't believe this is the case with these two airlines:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Booking_Ticketing/eticketing/AA_electronic_ticketing.jsp

Not sure I totally understand OP, because if it was two separate tickets, why would AA be telling OP anything about "legal connection times"?

That list seems to be in order of code, but Asiana is on that list further down - OZ

will book another later ticket on Delta,,,,only $250 for 2 of us,,1 way,,,at 12pm...this way will TRY to make first flight on AA at 10 15am,,if I miss it,,,can take next one.

Probably will have to pick up luggage and switch,,unless I see FOR SURE I m not making flight and switch to Delta after customs...right?

I ts neccesary I m home for work next day,,,so WORTH it to have back up...but HOPE I make first one...don t want to cancel first and re book later on AA...time is more valuable than money at this point( for work and after flying from Asia(will be exhausted,,even with Business class,I m afraid).

Am NOT booking on internet for this,,,,just Delta....when I called about this,,,they were NO HELP,,and told ME to contact AA...WHAT,,,Thanks...:(

Am NOT booking on internet for this,,,,just Delta....when I called about this,,,they were NO HELP,,and told ME to contact AA...WHAT,,,Thanks...:(

Yep...asking a DL phone agent about an issue with a ticket/connection that involves Asiana and American. That's who I would call for an informed answer.

Please....if you give complete details (and complete sentences), you can get back a cogent answer. Otherwise, it's just guessing in the dark.

Yep...asking a DL phone agent about an issue with a ticket/connection that involves Asiana and American. That's who I would call for an informed answer.

Please....if you give complete details (and complete sentences), you can get back a cogent answer. Otherwise, it's just guessing in the dark.

I wasn't sure if I was reading that correctly...guess perhaps I was. It made me scratch my head a bit too. But the posts are difficult to read so I thought perhaps I was misunderstanding.

That list seems to be in order of code, but Asiana is on that list further down - OZ

You're right, missed that.

I also am utterly confused by this thread. OP - to get any kind of answers, if you are asking questions, you need to provide concrete and readable information such as (realize I am just making this up for an example):

I booked my airline ticket through Orbitz. I am flying on Asiana, NRT-ORD, and I arrive at ORD at 8:35 am. I then must connect to an AA flight which departs at 10:15 a.m. If I look at my reservation, I can see I have two separate ticket numbers.

Will I have enough time to clear customs and immigration at ORD to make my AA flight? Will I have to check in for my AA flight at ORD? Do I have to reclear security? Where do I drop of my bag after I clear customs? What will happen if I miss the AA flight? Will they just place me on a new flight, or will they cancel my ticket?

Would it be smart to book a separate ticket on DL that will get me home if I miss my AA flight? If I do this, after I clear immigration and security at ORD, will I have to take my bags to the DL ticket counter and check in for my DL flight, drop of my bags and get my boarding passes?

and to clear things up.Booked Delta flight(incase I miss AA one) and did THAT one with Delta(not on internet)..I was referring to Internet agency that was no help.

So,I guess,I m covered(just in case).

Never had this problem before,so maybe I didnt state it concisely.

But will avoid this certain "Internet"company in future bookings.So ,I guess,I DID learn something.:)

Booked Delta flight (in case I miss AA one) ...
International --> Domestic Minimum Connection Times, as far as I can see:-

OZ --> AA: 1:25 or 1:30

OZ --> DL: 3:30

Of course, the concept of MCT only applies if you're connecting on a single ticket. If you've got two separate tickets, then it's technically academic and you have no misconnection protection anyway (although it's still a reasonable guide to what's possible).

Not sure if I have enough time,,AA just moved up my flight so I have only 1hr.and 40 min.to get from Asiana(terminal 5(,thru customs,passport,etc) to get to next flight....this is on my way home,,so not as crucial,,but is this doable??Looked at map,,,not sure how they get flight terminal 5 ,,is it bus,tram,etc?

What should I do,,try to rebook?take a chance?get list of next flights:confused: if I need them?:confused:

One hour, 40 minutes is not enough time at O'Hare if you are connecting to a domestic flight from an international flight.

You might want to consider a new keyboard. Your comma key,,,,,,, appears to be sticking and your space bar may not be working. It makes it difficult to read your posts.

Did you ever actually call this mystery agency to see what they have to say as your travel agent?

they said to contact AA myself.Guess its not called "cheap" for nothing(know we can t mention proper names,right?)

So glad I posted as responses alerted me that time was insufficient for connection.

Do feel better now that I have "backup"plan.:)

Archived