Oasis class in Port Canaveral?

On our way back from the Monarch ( Port Canaveral) to our car, the shuttle driver told us the Oasis was coming to Port Canaveral. Seemed strange to me, especially knowing the size of the Oasis, and the huge terminal RCCL built in Ft. Lauderdale.

Was he confused, crazy, or in the know?

M

Adam Goldstein recently answered a question on his blog about one of the two twins moving and he stated "no". Until RCI officially comes out and states that they are moving either ship then it is business as usual.

Also people need to remember that RCCL has a contract with Pt. Everglades to deliver a certain number of passengers during a 10 year period to cover their end of the bagain for building terminal 18. I believe that number was somewhere around 17 million passengers. They need the two big girls to meet that number. The seasonal ships from RCI and Celebrity won't do it.

Someone asked this question on the Freedom last month and the Captain said he would not be comfortable turning the Oasis in the channel in Port Canaveral. It would be way too close without further expansion of the channel itself. If that doesn't happen Oasis wouldn't fit.

Edited by RM

Someone asked this question on the Freedom last month and the Captain said he would not be comfortable turning the Oasis in the channel in Port Canaveral. It would be way too close without further expansion of the channel itself. If that doesn't happen Oasis wouldn't fit.

The OK has just been given to widen and deepen the channel at PC!

The OK has just been given to widen and deepen the channel at PC!

And it only took about 18 months for them to expand the terminal at Port Everglades. (from memory, if I'm wrong, someone will be here shortly to tell me)

• 11 months later...

The Orlando Sentinel had an article yesterday that said that dredging and widening of the Port Canaveral channel is likely to start very soon. Additionally, the port commission is in the initial phases of approving a new $80M port facility with the capability to handle the passenger load of "the largest cruise ships". There is only one reason to do that my friends!! Oasis-3 is likely on the way in 2016!! Great news for folks who love cruising from Central Florida. I am starting the rumor!

The Orlando Sentinel had an article yesterday that said that dredging and widening of the Port Canaveral channel is likely to start very soon. Additionally, the port commission is in the initial phases of approving a new $80M port facility with the capability to handle the passenger load of "the largest cruise ships". There is only one reason to do that my friends!! Oasis-3 is likely on the way in 2016!! Great news for folks who love cruising from Central Florida. I am starting the rumor!

There has been lots of chatter about an Oasis Class ship homeporting at Port Canaveral. Rumor has it that up to 5 Oasis Class ships could be built. The 3rd Oasis Class ship is already under construction.

There has been lots of chatter about an Oasis Class ship homeporting at Port Canaveral. Rumor has it that up to 5 Oasis Class ships could be built. The 3rd Oasis Class ship is already under construction.

Not that what I think matters to RCI but I will be pretty upset if RCI DOES build 5 Oasis class ships and PC doesnt get one :(

I will be pretty upset if RCI DOES build 5 Oasis class ships and PC doesnt get one :(

Specially after Carnival has announced that their "newest" ship, the Carnival Sunshine, will be sailing from PC along with the Liberty. Royal needs to bring their newest ship too! :D

No problem Captain Johnny used to back all the way up the San Pedro channel in LA to dock Mariner because there was no room to turn around.:eek:

No problem Captain Johnny used to back all the way up the San Pedro channel in LA to dock Mariner because there was no room to turn around.:eek:

You got that right! From the mouth of PC to the proposed parking on the south side of the channel by the current boat ramp on Flounder Street is only about 2000FT. Capt Johnny had to back up for over 2 miles to get to the LA Cruise Port (If I measured correctly)! Easy peasy to park at PC....easy for me to say!! It might not come out too good if I'm driving! :)

Not that what I think matters to RCI but I will be pretty upset if RCI DOES build 5 Oasis class ships and PC doesnt get one :(

With the popularity of Oasis and Allure sailing out of Port Everglades, and with the prospect of possibly having 5 Oasis Class vessels, we will probably see an Oasis Class ship go to Southampton, Asia, and possibly Australia with 2 remaining in North America for Caribbean itineraries.

With the popularity of Oasis and Allure sailing out of Port Everglades, and with the prospect of possibly having 5 Oasis Class vessels, we will probably see an Oasis Class ship go to Southampton, Asia, and possibly Australia with 2 remaining in North America for Caribbean itineraries.

Would an Oasis class be suitable for Southampton?

It can be cold and breezy on the way to the Med through the Bay of Biscay etc. I could see her being based in Barcelona though.

I think a Quantum class ship would suit Southampton though.

It can be cold and breezy on the way to the Med through the Bay of Biscay etc. I could see her being based in Barcelona though.

That is something designers would have to look at if they wanted to place an Oasis Class ship in a climate other than the Caribbean. I have read something about the 3rd Oasis Class ship being slightly heavier to (possibly) accommodate a glass roof enclosure for Central Park and or Boardwalk. I don't know if this is true. Also the steel cutout of the Oasis 3 ship has some modifications to the top area which some think is a possible glass roof enclosure or something like that. Only time will tell! :)

They might have to change or abandon the idea of live plants in Central Park.

• 1 month later...

The new cruise terminal was approved on November 8, 2013. It is scheduled to be finished by November 2014. I am thinking the new Oasis class that is due out in 2016 is definitely coming to Port Canaveral. Either that or it will replace either the Allure or Oasis in Port Everglades which in turn would be relocated to Port Canaveral. Very exciting stuff especially for those who live in or near Central Florida. :)

The new cruise terminal was approved on November 8, 2013. It is scheduled to be finished by November 2014. I am thinking the new Oasis class that is due out in 2016 is definitely coming to Port Canaveral. Either that or it will replace either the Allure or Oasis in Port Everglades which in turn would be relocated to Port Canaveral. Very exciting stuff especially for those who live in or near Central Florida. :)

Well... DEFINITELY if you are referring to homeporting is pretty strong. If you are referring to using it as a port of call, then this has already been confirmed as definite.

I'd love to see one of the big gals homeported here in Central FL, but I think it's entirely too soon to call it as definite.

The port authority released and article on Oct 7,2013 on the 80 to 85 million dollar addition of port Canaveral to host the largest of cruise vessels holding in excess of 6,000 people. It will include a 185,000 foot terminal, the Cove restaurant and a 1000 vehicle parking garage. Also in the future plans are shops and a beach area to be used by cruisers making port calls. The construction will begin in Jan and be completed in Nov. 2014.

Here is the Port authority link and go to the right and click on port construction.

PortCanaveral.com/

Well... DEFINITELY if you are referring to homeporting is pretty strong. If you are referring to using it as a port of call, then this has already been confirmed as definite.

I'd love to see one of the big gals homeported here in Central FL, but I think it's entirely too soon to call it as definite.

Yes, you are correct, nothing is truly certain until it actually happens, but I do think that the stars at least appear to be aligning. I know Royal Caribbean execs were at Port Canaveral for a meeting with the Port Authority just before the announcement of the 6,000 passenger capacity cruise terminal. I am at least trying to keep the rumor alive. :)