Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

just spoke with my mom who is on board... they're out past the worst of it, but it seems that a majority of the people wish they were no longer on board.

windjammer is closed... a bunch of windows are broken, and so many people have been violently ill. it sounded like the open decks were all closed, all pools (obviously) are empty.

she's going to call later from the ship with an update, and to make sure we're okay here.

just spoke with my mom who is on board... they're out past the worst of it, but it seems that a majority of the people wish they were no longer on board.

windjammer is closed... a bunch of windows are broken, and so many people have been violently ill. it sounded like the open decks were all closed, all pools (obviously) are empty.

she's going to call later from the ship with an update, and to make sure we're okay here.

Please post later and let us know how they are faring.

Great to see the posts. Haven't even seen anyone posting on Jewel of the Seas--docked in Boston Sunday til Tues next to Crystal Symphony and Caribbean Princess.

Passengers probably happy to be stuck in Boston and have their 12 day repo cruise to Aruba won't mind missing Barbados and St. Kitts. Although, I would prefer to skip St. Thomas and see St. Kitts.

Weather is unpredictable. Rather be on a ship even at the dock today.

We board her on Sunday...I wonder if there will even be a pier left at this rate?

Shoot...I wonder if ill still have a HOUSE left at this rate.....:confused:

Yikes, that is scary. Hope everything works out OK.

Guest maddycat

Thanks for the update. Please post any further info. when you receive it from your mom.

Looks like the Captain made the right choice of course as the eastern route is getting pounded right now. Here is a great live stream from Fox showing Ocean City Maryland which is about as close to the eye wall as possible:

http://video.foxnews.com/video-live-streaming.html?video_id=1155606216001

From what I saw on Marinetraffic before the Explorer info shut down, they are way south of that location. Hence, their coming out of the south tail end of the storm. Sorry for the sickness...but they should be getting well soon. Hope everyone takes their meclizine. It's free.

Thanks for the update. Please post any further info. when you receive it from your mom.

after i speak with her this evening i'll post again. I'll tell her to get a better update for us all this evening. she's keeping close tabs... they saw on the weather the storm turned faster than they were expecting and is heading right for us now.

This is why we would never sail during hurricane season. Hope everyone is safe and can enjoy at least part of their vacation.

So, no cruising between May 1 and Nov 30? That's when hurricane season is.

So, no cruising between May 1 and Nov 30? That's when hurricane season is.

I have been reading this thread just to see how the ships & pax have fared. We have never sailed during hurricane season but have given it thought well knowing we would be taking our chances are far as weather, cancelled ports, etc. That said, your reply is rather sarcastic and unnecessary. I assume most people (cruising) would consider hurricane season to be in its prime mid-late August through early October. True they can happen at any given time. Your comment just really irritated me. As do people who always feel the need to quirp something smart -a$$.

This is why we would never sail during hurricane season. Hope everyone is safe and can enjoy at least part of their vacation.

i said that once too... BUT then we ended up sailing through a nor'easter. so, its really a luck of the draw. and a great incentive to buy trip insurance.

Gosh, I pray everyone will come through this and be ok. I feel so very fortunate we were on Explorer last week and not this week. My prayers are with them and all of you who have family aboard.

I wonder how they will handle the Windjammer situation. If they can't reopen it how in the world will they be able to handle feeding everyone.....once they get to feeling better? There is no way room service could handle it all.

At any rate, please do post back once you hear from your mom.

I always swore I'd never cruise during hurricane season (June-November) but I did a Mexican Riviera cruise a few years ago that left on August 30th. Pacific Ocean hurricanes are pretty rare, right? Well got stuck smack-dab in the middle of a hurricane, didn't I. Figures.

And I really hate having a monster hurricane named after me! :cool:

Sorry and sure hope everybody's ok.

Thanks for the update! My in-laws are also on the ship.

Gosh, I pray everyone will come through this and be ok. I feel so very fortunate we were on Explorer last week and not this week. My prayers are with them and all of you who have family aboard.

I wonder how they will handle the Windjammer situation. If they can't reopen it how in the world will they be able to handle feeding everyone.....once they get to feeling better? There is no way room service could handle it all.

At any rate, please do post back once you hear from your mom.

Perhaps they'll do what they did in the past. Everyone goes to their assigned table for B, L, & D. I'm sailing next week and wouldn't mind that at all.

Phyl

My name is Agnes--I know how you feel. :p

Boy, do I remember her. That was a long time ago.:p We really got the brunt of that hurricane. The worst we ever went through since I was a kid and hurricane Hazel, in the 50's. I know I am dating myself, but I was just a wee kid then......;)

hey guys. just got off the phone with my mom (the beauty of ipads)

here's another update... and i asked my mom about the rumors flying around on here, none of which are true.

first... windjammer and johnny rockets is closed.

they had winds in excess of 80mph and are still heading south as far as she could tell, they have not yet turned east towards bermuda.

they're doing a lot better now than they were earlier. (my dad is even much less green, although he's spent hte last two days in bed :( makes me sad )

there's no room service. only the main dining rooms, and they're serving cold cuts off trays in the promenade.

all the rumors regarding water are 150% lies, there is no shortage of water. they are giving out water to everyone who wants it, there is plenty of water.

there is not enough hot food between meals, there's some, but not enough to go around.

my mom expects if they can't get the windjammer operating, they will fly everyone home from bermuda. but that is her speculation. or board the windows up so it's usable.

they are serving pizza.

she has no idea how many windows were broken out, and she doesn't know if people were in there when it happened.

she also says everyone's okay now. the seas have calmed and they're doing a lot better. she's going to try and find out some more information for when she contacts me later tonight.

here's another update... and i asked my mom about the rumors flying around on here, none of which are true.

they had winds in excess of 80mph and are still heading south as far as she could tell, they have not yet turned east towards bermuda.

they're doing a lot better now than they were earlier. (my dad is even much less green, although he's spent hte last two days in bed :( makes me sad )

there's no room service. only the main dining rooms, and they're serving cold cuts off trays in the promenade.

all the rumors regarding water are 150% lies, there is no shortage of water. they are giving out water to everyone who wants it, there is plenty of water.

there is not enough hot food between meals, there's some, but not enough to go around.

my mom expects if they can't get the windjammer operating, they will fly everyone home from bermuda. but that is her speculation. or board the windows up so it's usable.

they are serving pizza.

she has no idea how many windows were broken out, and she doesn't know if people were in there when it happened.

she also says everyone's okay now. the seas have calmed and they're doing a lot better. she's going to try and find out some more information for when she contacts me later tonight.

Thanks so much for the updates. I'm sure your happy to hear from your parents!

they are serving pizza.

We had similar damage on the Grand Princess (broken glass) but it was not in the buffet area. We had 70 mph winds and 25-30 ft seas for about 36 hr. Water was all over the main deck etc. Hopefully they can repair/replace some windows while in Bermuda so it can function. My guess is they are working on at least keeping rain out now. We were on the ExOS for the Star incident last month and while in Bermuda noticed (all 3 days) that they were doing a lot of under water maintence on the ship. I guess the long time in port allows for this type of work. Hopefully repairs can be done while there and all will be fine for the trip. Safe trip for your family! Prayers for all of them.

Archived