What else do I need?

beachsands

This is our first time cruising with Princess. I have our passports, birth certificates, printed out boarding passes, and luggage tags. Also taking a copy of travel insurance policy for reference in the event I need it.

So is there any other document(s) that I need to get on board? Making my self a check list for each cruise line and will keep it updated annually, hey that's half of the fun in vacationing is making it last all year....lol

Thanks, Joel

This is our first time cruising with Princess. I have our passports, birth certificates, printed out boarding passes, and luggage tags. Also taking a copy of travel insurance policy for reference in the event I need it.

So is there any other document(s) that I need to get on board? Making my self a check list for each cruise line and will keep it updated annually, hey that's half of the fun in vacationing is making it last all year....lol

Thanks, Joel

Hi, maybe you have special circumstances but if I take passports I don't see the need for birth certificates.

And its good to take a travel insurance policy but depending on the policy terms usually if you need medical treatment onboard you need to pay for it by the end of the cruise, then claim it back afterwards, so its good to have a credit card with a decent limit available.

If you've booked shore excursions through the cruise line, it's a good idea to print out what you reserved and what the cost is in case it's a different amount once you're onboard.

You might want to put a copy of your itinerary (flights, hotel, ship, contact info.) inside your luggage in case it gets lost.

Hi, maybe you have special circumstances but if I take passports I don't see the need for birth certificates.

And its good to take a travel insurance policy but depending on the policy terms usually if you need medical treatment onboard you need to pay for it by the end of the cruise, then claim it back afterwards, so its good to have a credit card with a decent limit available.

I was always told you should not carry your birth certificate and passport together. You really need one to get the other. My advice would be to leave the BC at home but take a photocopy if it makes you feel better. This is provided you are a US or Canadian citizen. Not sure about rules for immigrants or people from outside these two countries.

We also take a photocopy of our passport, the page with your pic and info. We leave our passports locked in the safe on the ship while on land but carry the copy, just in case.

I usually take my passport, travel documents, flight itinerary, hotel reservation and other important papers and scan them into a file on my computer. Then I email myself that file, so that if I get stuck somewhere (without those documents), I can at least view them online or print them again. If those documents are already in an email, mark that email as unread, so they will stay in your inbox and not get buried in a monster list of old mail!

If I'm parking at a airport or cruise terminal, I also use my phone camera to snap a quick picture of the nearest parking lot marker sign! I never seem to keep up with that tiny slip of paper with "A-12" written on it. That way I just open up my phone when the trips over and I know right where I parked.

Stop the mail at home. Put a couple of lamps on timers so you're house won't look deserted. Stop the newspaper delivery.

Gather some $2 bills or $1 coins and use them for tips! They are eye catchers and servers will remember you!

The only other thing you need to board is your credit or debit card.

If you have onboard credit from any source (TA, stockholder, military, etc.), bring a copy of whatever verification you have.

Call your credit card company before leaving and let them know which countries you're visiting. If you use it onshore, your CC company may put a security hold on it.

I usually take my passport, travel documents, flight itinerary, hotel reservation and other important papers and scan them into a file on my computer. Then I email myself that file, so that if I get stuck somewhere (without those documents), I can at least view them online or print them again. If those documents are already in an email, mark that email as unread, so they will stay in your inbox and not get buried in a monster list of old mail!

If I'm parking at a airport or cruise terminal, I also use my phone camera to snap a quick picture of the nearest parking lot marker sign! I never seem to keep up with that tiny slip of paper with "A-12" written on it. That way I just open up my phone when the trips over and I know right where I parked.

Stop the mail at home. Put a couple of lamps on timers so you're house won't look deserted. Stop the newspaper delivery.

Gather some $2 bills or $1 coins and use them for tips! They are eye catchers and servers will remember you!

I've seen and use a tip I've seen before about making the first photo on your camera's media card is your contact info (cell phone number) so you can be contacted, but the parking lot sign sounds like another good idea.

But reconsider the $2 bills and $1 coins. Those are really hard for many to redeem and use. I even don't care for them to use in the US, but just imagine giving one to a crew member onboard. Now you'll be making it a burden for them to get it exchanged. And guides and porters probably will inwardly groan too. When my MIL was still alive, she would give us a $50 bill as a birthday, etc. gift. She meant well, but I would always have to go to the bank to deposit any of those into my checking account as many places don't accept bills larger than a $20 bill.

If you are needing to do some laundry take your favourite powder or liquid in a small container as the stuff you buy on board is a little harsh Perhaps some clothes pegs to hold the bottom of the shower curtain down:D:D

Sorry, but this is a really, really bad idea. Yes, they are legal tender but outside the US, they are rarely accepted, even at a bank. You are doing a big disservice by not tipping in easily used/exchanged currency. You might as well tip in ¥. Of course, they will certainly remember you but not for the reason you think. :(

Never met her but hope to some day. Have a look at her "resume" at the bottom of her posts. It dates back to the year after I was born! Don't tip with coins. In most places you had might as well hand them nothing as coins. Coming from Canada our "brand name" is recognized world wide. Our currency however isn't. I never leave home without a fist full of US one dollar bills when we travel anywhere outside our own country.

"In God we trust. Everyone else pays cash!"

I was always told you should not carry your birth certificate and passport together. You really need one to get the other. My advice would be to leave the BC at home but take a photocopy if it makes you feel better. This is provided you are a US or Canadian citizen. Not sure about rules for immigrants or people from outside these two countries.

We also take a photocopy of our passport, the page with your pic and info. We leave our passports locked in the safe on the ship while on land but carry the copy, just in case.

That just what I was going to say.... we do this also.

Sorry, but this is a really, really bad idea. Yes, they are legal tender but outside the US, they are rarely accepted, even at a bank. You are doing a big disservice by not tipping in easily used/exchanged currency. You might as well tip in ¥. Of course, they will certainly remember you but not for the reason you think. :(

You got that right, they don't like getting novelty money!

If you are needing to do some laundry take your favourite powder or liquid in a small container as the stuff you buy on board is a little harsh Perhaps some clothes pegs to hold the bottom of the shower curtain down:D:D

Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets are great, used them on our cruise and they worked well and are very light.

Don't forget prescription medicines -- and include a few extra days in case your plans change (such as the recent Caribbean Princess 4 day cruise that turned out to be 6 or 7 days due to Hurricane Sandy).

Its sometimes useful to have a letter from your doctor indicating the medications that you need to take, especially if you have medication that is not "allowed" in some countries. I carry a couple of epipens with me, and although I don't usually have any problem, I have had to show my doctor's letter a couple of times at the airport.

Just saves any hassle.

I

[/color]

That just what I was going to say.... we do this also.

Our experience a couple of weeks ago ..... we spoke to a woman who was denied entry back to the ship by the local authorities in Venice .....because she had a photocopy of her passport. She was waiting for her friends ....who went to retrieve the real thing in her room .....to bring it to her.

Our experience a couple of weeks ago ..... we spoke to a woman who was denied entry back to the ship by the local authorities in Venice .....because she had a photocopy of her passport. She was waiting for her friends ....who went to retrieve the real thing in her room .....to bring it to her.

Usually in EU countries it is not necessary for citizens of most countries to carry their passport when off the ship.

A government issued photo ID and the cruise card is required, and a passport could be that photo ID, but so can a driver's license.

I agree with taking driver's licenses for photo ID when off the ship in ports. You don't have to show it in every port, because usually your cabin key card is suffucient to allow you to get through the port gate when you are returning to the ship. But once in a while, the guard at the port entrance will ask for a photo ID.

Do not take your passport ashore unless you are told it is required, and that does not happen very often.

I disagree--in most third world countries (US) dollars circulate officially or unofficially and are easy for the recipients to spend. In Europe the recipient might need to go to an exchange house or bank from time to time, but that's hardly a burden (if you tip in notes -- coins ARE a bad idea since most exchange houses don't accept them)

I disagree--in most third world countries (US) dollars circulate officially or unofficially and are easy for the recipients to spend. In Europe the recipient might need to go to an exchange house or bank from time to time, but that's hardly a burden (if you tip in notes -- coins ARE a bad idea since most exchange houses don't accept them)

Let me apologize for not specifying what itinerary I would use

US currency on as tips! I only cruise where USD are widely accepted.

Fortunately, out of 50 some odd cruises, I've never had my tips rejected!

And as noted in my signature, my comments are just bits of information from my cruising history :)

I bring a photocopy of our driver's licenses, credit cards and medical cards - both sides of each.

I leave them in the room safe just in case we are pick-pocketed and may need to try to start the process to replace them. We each have spearate credit cards and try to leave one on the ship for safe keeping. m--

It's not a question of legal tender or circulation; it's what's best for the crew member. They often don't have time in port to go to a bank nor should they have to. I'm not talking about $1 bills... but $2 bills. Outside the US they are very difficult for the crew member to use or exchange for two $1 bills.

Yes .... Please don't try to be cute and take $2 bills. :rolleyes:

US $1 Dollar and $5 Dollar bills are what you need for tips, etc. on Princess ships no matter where you're sailing.

If you have booked excursions thru the ship, you might want to take along a copy of what you've booked ....

Plan to have a great time!

LuLu

~~~~

I bring a photocopy of our driver's licenses, credit cards and medical cards - both sides of each.

I leave them in the room safe just in case we are pick-pocketed and may need to try to start the process to replace them.

I leave a copy of the credit cards with a trusted relative. If a card is lost or stolen, it is easier to contact the relative who can than easily contact the credit card company much easier than I can while at sea or in a foreign country.

Archived