Construction Report needed for Port Everglades

serendipity1499

Several months ago there was a thread about Highway Construction which was to begin this month on the access roads into Port Everglades..In addition several weeks ago there was another thread about ongoing construction of the HAL terminal..I've done a search for both threads & can't find any info..

My questions are:

1) Has the road construction begun & has anyone been inconvenienced by this construction..If so , how long did it take you to get into & out of the port from a nearby hotel or the airport?

2) Has the construction begun on the HAL terminal & do you know how long the HAL ships will be using other terminals/docks & where the other terminas are?

3) When they use other docks has embarkation been delayed?

4) Are the Cruise Connx Limos/Buses & Hotel/Car Rental Vans still able to pull into the areas in front of the terminals..

We're booked on a Grand voyage on the Prinsendam leaving & returning on a Monday in Jan & planning to use the Cruise Connx Limo into the port out ofSouthwest Fla...Our Cruise does not leave until 11:p.m. & I'm wondering if HAL will permit us to check-in & board when the Limo arrives around 11:30 a.m. at Port Everglades..Realize normal boarding time is around 11:30 to 1 P.m, but wonder if it will be different for our Late night departure..I'm more concerned about being able to get lunch for us around the normal time..

Thanks...Betty

There have been a couple of threads around the Florida Departure board, and include a link to the Port Everglades website with some current info.

As far as the terminals are concerned, they are scheduled to be done around Nov 15, and peak ship traffic comences around then.

The only one I can answer is (2). Work on pier 26 has been going on for about 7 months now, and so far this season HAL has been using Princess' pier 4 in the mid-port area. I think the work is supposed to be finished next month.

About a week before you go check here for your pier:

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

Serendipity 1449 ... you mentioned the Cruise Connection limo. The only Cruise Connection transportation co. I was aware of ran busses, and they went out of business last spring.

Yes you are correct, Cruise Connection went out of business & filed for bankruptcy in April... However, Cruise Connection by Escot opened up in the summer & has taken over the original Cruise Connection routes..According to a local TA & someone in our complex they are quite reliable & is still running out of Ft. Myers.. http://escotbuslines.com/news/escot-launches-a-new-cruise-connection

And there is another service called Florida shuttle transportation: but I don't know anything about them

http://www.floridashuttletransportation.com/destination.html

There's also a third service called Florida Express, however it's had quite a few major problems with their drivers not showing up or showing up & needing $$$ for fuel etc..It was recently written up in our local Consumer column as very unreliable..

When we travel with Friends we rent a car, however my DH no longer drives & I don't want to have the hassle of dropping him off at the port & returning the car..The Shuttle is better for us on this trip.. Thanks for your info..

BTW I was wrong about the day of the week..:confused:We are leaving on a Sat & returning on a Thurs..I must have been looking at an old calendar or maybe the Mayan calendar when I thought we were on a Monday departure & arrival..Weird.. :o:o SIZE] FONT=Comic Sans MS][/font]

Betty

The only one I can answer is (2). Work on pier 26 has been going on for about 7 months now, and so far this season HAL has been using Princess' pier 4 in the mid-port area. I think the work is supposed to be finished next month.

About a week before you go check here for your pier:

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

Thanks John I'll do that..

http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/index.cfm?action=view&articleID=1123&menuID=998

Here is the most recent update on the Port Everglades website on the construction.

Thanks..It really doesn't give any idea of what the traffic is like & also when it will be completed..

If anyone has recently cruised, would like to pick your brain about this..

Thank you all ....Betty

Now my curiosity is up. I wonder where the N.A. will go out of on Sunday. It impacts me because I will be on the ship.
If you click on the link I gave in post #3 and go down to page three you will see that it will leave from pier 29. That's a little inconvenient to get to if you're driving yourself, but not much different than 26 if you're arriving by taxi.

However you may not be coming back to that same pier if they finish up work on 26 while you're gone! Or they may use pier 4 when you return. :)

If you would like to see a port map, click HERE and then on Port Map down on the left.

......and so far this season HAL has been using Princess' pier 4 in the mid-port area. I think the work is supposed to be finished next month.

If you're driving and parking, Pier 4 is at the Northport Garage, not mid-port. Security at the port entrance will tell you exactly where to go, no problem, when you show him your documents. Very easy. If you're taking a taxi it doesn't matter as your driver will take you to the correct pier no matter where the ship is docked.

Can you walk in to the pier?
From where? I guess maybe you could walk in to the pier, but it's not a short walk from any hotels or what I would consider a safe one with the amount of traffic. Why would you? Shuttles and taxis take you right to the terminal.

If you're staying around 17th street, that's near the north entrance, but a healthy walk from any pier HAL normally uses (26, 25, 21, 27, 29)! I have seen couples walking around inside the security gates without luggage, and have presumed they were passengers doing b2b's or the like out for a little exercise.

Peaches: I know pier 4 is Northport, but my fingers weren't communicating with my brain ... or something. :D

Can you walk in to the pier? We staying right the street from the entrance, it is safe to walk in?

If you are a good walker, you could walk...... but not if you have luggage. It would be very hard to roll a bag and I question if the port security may not like the idea and could turn you back. I have never seen anyone walking with luggage though I have seen crew/guests walking the port area. Crew normally have a shuttle they ride to the mall/publix etc

Thank you. I was thinking about how a taxi driver is going like a fare for that short distance. Could there be a medium fare they might charge? Fair is fair.

It must happen a lot. The fare is metered, not a flat rate, although there is probably a minimum initial charge. Are you sure your hotel doesn't have a shuttle?

The Renaissance is the hotel we are staying at. It may have.
I checked, and it appears that they don't have a shuttle. To walk from there to the usual HAL terminals it would be between 1.75 miles (pier 26) to 2.25 miles (pier 29). Not what I would want to do dragging luggage!

Okay I think it has finally sunk it, we will have to take a taxi and hope the driver understands we had no other choice. Thank you.

No problem. Most of the people staying in hotels take a taxi. No one walks- it's a lot longer to the ships than it looks if you are walking and with luggage and traffic would be impossible. Some people take a shuttle from hotels that provide them, and not all hotels do, but a LOT of people take a taxi for convenience even if a shuttle is provided. Taxiing to and from hotels/cruiseport is a big part of the drivers' incomes and they are lined up at the hotels' doors to take pax to their ship. I'm not sure I understand why you are so concerned.

Can you walk in to the pier? We staying right the street from the entrance, it is safe to walk in?

The area is safe. But you will encounter a lot of traffic as the area is not only for cruise ships, but it is also a freight area. Ft Lauderdale handles a lot of freight.

It is quite a hike from hotels -- through the security point -- and just to pier 4 if that is where your ship will be. Should your ship be assigned to pier 29 -- a very, very long walk.

Even the crew have special shuttle buses that they use when they have a "break" -- these shuttle buses are not for cruise passengers.

I was really only thinking of it if the Maasdam is docked at pier #4. If there are no walkway for pedestrians (sp) then of course we would not attempt to walk it. I am trying to save the use except only because of the fact it is so short a ride (I think).

Thank you all for your help and advice.

... only because of the fact it is so short a ride (I think).

Thank you all for your help and advice.

If your ship is at pier 4 that would only be about a 1/3 mile walk, and it shouldn't be a bad place to walk because that's where the Broward convention center is - but unless you're sailing in the next few weeks it's not likely that pier would be used. Once the work is done at pier 26 HAL will go back there. See http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf

You can check the link I gave in post #3 a week or so before you sail to see where the ship will be.

Apparently Terminal 26 will reopen on November 16/17. According to news releases the changes are quite significant with many improvements. Hopefully it will live up to the PR!

One interesting tidbit I read on Seatrade Insider website is quote "Terminal 26 has gone through major renovations that will allow it to accommodate Holland America Line’s newbuild which will be ‘vastly different’ from the prior class of ships that were operating from the terminal." endquote

I was really only thinking of it if the Maasdam is docked at pier #4. ...
The Prinsendam is scheduled to use pier 4 on 11/15, but the Eurodam on 11/17 is planned for pier 26 ... so, the likelihood is that the Maasdam when you go will be down at 26 or one of the other mid-port piers.

Archived