Best 1st Cruise/Ship for 3 year old

SD449

Hi Everyone

We literally know nothing about cruising but want to take our 1st cruise next year.

The most important thing for us is that the ship strongly caters to our 3 year old daughter.

We are not to bothered about location or itnaries as long as it's warm/hot.

Budget whilst not unlimited is not a big factor as we all want to enjoy our first cruise and not be disappointed be cause we tried to do it cheaply.

Thank you in advance for your replies :)

First let me qualify that I have never cruised with them. If I were taking my grand childern on a cruise it would be Disney for sure. If the experience for children on board is even half as good as at one of their resorts it would be my choice bar none. It has to be the only cruise line out their where children count as much as the adults from my research.

Having actually sailed Disney, they would NOT be my first choice for a 3 year old. Their clubs are packed and not very structured. A 3 year old could easily become overwhelmed. DS7 has sailed on Disney, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, HAL and Princess. He's loved each kids club. All of them, except Disney, give personal attention. Carnival would be my choice for a young 3 year old as they change diapers and all of the others do not. All of the others require that a child be securely potty trained.

If the 3 year old is potty-trained, then any ship or cruiseline will do....plenty for kids on all ships and cruiselines. The problem lies with those in diapers....most ships don't allow a non toilet trained child in the pools...if that's important to you! SOME ships have specially filtered pools that will allow it, but not all! So research carefully!

I think any line (some mentioned above) would be fine.

I've found Disney to be more $$ than the other lines.

My nephew's first cruise at 1 yr old was Princess. We all had a wonderful time.

I hope you enjoy the cruise with your little cutie!

If the 3 year old is potty-trained, then any ship or cruiseline will do....plenty for kids on all ships and cruiselines. The problem lies with those in diapers....most ships don't allow a non toilet trained child in the pools...if that's important to you! SOME ships have specially filtered pools that will allow it, but not all! So research carefully!

Some ships do not accept children into the Kid's Program if they are till in diapers.

We are from the UK, and thought we may have to fly to US first for a lot of them so would be prepared to do this. Would also like to know of any leaving from southampton that would be just as good for our daughter?

Not fussed on time of year, I guess that would depend on where we were cruising. As I mentioned we dont really know much about cruising at all and are looking for the best family cruise out there :)

The time of year will have a large impact on recommendations if you are thinking of cruising the Caribbean. Many cruise lines reposition their ships away from the Caribbean during late spring, summer and fall. They sail Alaska, Canada/New England and Europe.

To avoid the long transatlantic flight, you might wish to sail in the pleasant spring, summer and fall weather in Europe. However, many of those itineraries are very port intensive. I'm not sure you would enjoy lots of port visits with a three year old in her stroller. Not sure she would enjoy it a lot.

Maybe a Greek Island cruise where you could visit the islands/beaches?

Or fly to Florida and sail the Caribbean during the months when there are a great many ships/cruise lines sailing that area . That is a wonderful family vacation with a young child and lots of fun on the beaches, in the pools, the children's 'camp' and Mom and Dad can really enjoy the ship and spend whatever amount of time you want wtih DD in the various islands at which the ship will call.

So...... it helps for you to start thinking in terms of time of year you want to take your cruise.

We are from the UK, and thought we may have to fly to US first for a lot of them so would be prepared to do this. Would also like to know of any leaving from southampton that would be just as good for our daughter?

Not fussed on time of year, I guess that would depend on where we were cruising. As I mentioned we dont really know much about cruising at all and are looking for the best family cruise out there :)

Of the ships sailing from Southampton next year, my choices would be, in order, Independence of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, and Celebrity Eclipse. All 3 will be as good as any ships that sail out of the U.S.

Of the ships sailing from Southampton next year, my choices would be, in order, Independence of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, and Celebrity Eclipse. All 3 will be as good as any ships that sail out of the U.S.

But where do these ships sail to?

An intensive European itinerary is not the best or most fun for a three year old..... therefore, Mom and Dad would likely not enjoy it as much as if they waited until DD is older.

Mom and Dad need to start to focus on when and where then on which ship IMO

You know your own child. There are huge changes during the '3' year.

Potty training is a priority so that the kid will have more options of activities when on board.

I would start with a short cruise out of Southampton as a taste to see if you and your family like the idea.

But where do these ships sail to?

An intensive European itinerary is not the best or most fun for a three year old..... therefore, Mom and Dad would likely not enjoy it as much as if they waited until DD is older.

My children have loved the European itineraries the most. DS was 4 on his first Med cruise. Lots of interesting ports make the cruise more enjoyable, not less.

Archived