South Pacific or Caribbean??

billy.qc

If time is a consideration, flying to the South Pacific takes a lot more time than going to the Caribbean, assuming you're coming from North America.

Okay, I'm not a fan of the Caribbean so personally I'd rather do the South Pacific, but we don't have time considerations as it sounds like YOU do.

Have you been to either place? If not, the Caribbean isn't a bad place to start.

And if you are doing your own air fare, flying to the departure port for a Caribbean cruise is a lot cheaper ...

Mura

Since you indicate that time and expense are not to be taken into consideration (lucky you!) I would have to vote for the South Pacific islands. For me, it's no contest ~ the Society Islands are lush and laid back, with the best snorkeling DH and I have ever experienced. Our visits to the Caribbean left us wanting as we were not impressed by the beaches nor the touristy atmosphere. The South Pacific seemed more natural. I do have to say, however, that we were there in 2001. Bottom line, though, is that either cruise beats staying at home. Enjoy!

Harriet

Feb. or March? I'd go to South America ( again) ;-)

We are thinking Jan 25th for Tahiti, the flights leave from LA so we would spend 4 days there pre-cruise. Post cruise in Moorea is a good possibility, I am looking at Hotel prices (seems that over the water bungalows are quite costly) 400-500$ per nite is my limit. What do you recommend. For those who are going this winter please post a review on your return.

Ok, almost all the crribe islands are carbon copies of each other with little variation. There was a joke going around that there was only really one island that you visit and after you sail they change all the signs and you return the next day. :rolleyes:

There is some variation but very little.. all the big shopping and booze stores line the port streets...its like a mall carnival

Then there is the rampant crime in the entire carribe region and rampant drugs and poverty; which is a big deal to me

.Too the region is visited by millions each month and hundreds of sailings with ships up to 4000+ the norm.

The south pacific is still pretty much un touched... maybe 20 to 30 ships during an entire year and less than 50,000 passengers. No malls will greet you ... no jewelery stores, as its pretty much non commercial.

Way more lower key people and very little crime. You will see true polynesan life, not in a Luau or hula show...

Scenery wise, both above and below water know no equal.. nothing in the carribe can even come close. Bora, Moorea, as an example with multi-hued lagoons of gin clear water... clean water ( which is not often found in the carribe.

This is where Gaugin, Stevenson, Melville, Maughn went to seek beauty and discovery

People wise you will meet all sorts of international cultures not possible in the carribe, where its all pretty much same -o-same-o.

In other words, an adventure of the senses and sprit, rather than a shopping and bar hoping week.:D

We are thinking Jan 25th for Tahiti, the flights leave from LA so we would spend 4 days there pre-cruise. Post cruise in Moorea is a good possibility, I am looking at Hotel prices (seems that over the water bungalows are quite costly) 400-500$ per nite is my limit. What do you recommend. For those who are going this winter please post a review on your return.

I have been in tAHITI MANY TIMES and what I learned is that staying at a hotel, and paying for meals is far more costly than a cruise. The Paul Gaugin for example a former Regent ship.

Moorea is going to cost you $360 for a garden room and $700 for an over water... up to $1000 a night.. and that is without meals, tax or anything!

I would spend my money for the Gaugin cruise after the Oceania because its not going to cost more than your hotel

Not taking into account the travel time or cost of each cruise which would you recommend for a 10 day vacation in January/Feb..Marina's Papeete to Papeete or Riviera's Caribbean Hideaways..

What is your view on the weather this time of year (cruise departs Jan25th)

There is an identical itinerary in March...which is the better month?

Tahiti has a special place in our hearts because we did our honeymoon there and it was the first time we had each been. We spent 1 night in Papeete, 3 nights in a Premium Overwater Bungalow at a resort (unobstructed views of both sunset and sunrise), and an 11 night Regent cruise on Paul Gauguin. It was very important to us to go when the weather was ideal to us- little rain and lower temperatures compared to the rest of the year. We went in July... the average high is 82 and the average low is 69. Average rainfall for July is 2.4 inches.

You mentioned two months, so here are the averages for Papeete:

Jan: Average high 86, Average low 74, Average rainfall 12.4 inches

March: Average high 87, Average low 74, Average rainfall 7.9 inches

For the Caribbean we always go during December or January.

December to Feb is the wet season in Tahiti and the South Pacific it will be much more humid too. March good April better same with October/November:D

Strange as it seems, Tahiti is the about 1000 miles south of the equator and Hawaii is 1000 north. We have almost identical temps and sea life here in Hawaii. but way less bugs

( In Kaliua Kona the ocean color looks pretty much like what you will see in Moorea....all the turquois, blue hues you would swear tour in Tahiti)

Archived