LAFFNVEGAS Live from the Dawn/1st Caribbean of the Season

LAFFNVEGAS

Oodles of fun following you Lisa as always:)

When you get home and you have time - could you educate us newbies on NCL suites a bit please? i know you think they are the best - I have figured out some of the nice stuff that goes with them - Cagney's, coffee machine and trying to figure out other stuff. I have been searching but I guess I am using the wrong words????

In any case, looking at the NCL website they say that there is a set up of choice of liquor, etc. Is this just a choice and then you pay or is the set up complimentary?

Anything else those of us considering NCL suites should know?

If there are any other amenities that those looking should know - please share:) Thanks Lisa - or anyone else willing to help:)

Safe Travels home :)

Love your review so far! I'm on the Dawn for New Years!

I have one question. Do you, or anyone reading this, who has taken this trip before recommend one particular mayan ruin excursion? There are several and on different ports too. We want to be sure we see some, just wondering if a particular spot was the "can't miss" spot.

Saturday November 17, 2012

Good Evening from the Beautiful Dawn, and it is a rather bitter sweet farewell.

First off I have no idea where the week went, I almost feel like I was taken by a space ship time was taken away and now I have been thrown back here not remembering what I did. There were so many things I wanted to do this week yet never did it or got there. Would you believe I was never out by the pool, then the shocking thing was I never made it up to the spa. I am such a spa person but I just never found the time. Although I have been in the Star's Spa and absolutely love the Pearl's Spa. I truly felt at home here on the Dawn and I guess just got into a normal cruising routine which is why there were areas I just never got to.

It was a relaxing afternoon of reading, then we did have reservations for Moderno at 6. We really should not have waited till the last night because we probably would have eaten there another tine. I loved Moderno and the Salad Bar is definitely the best I have had. It would be a meal in itself. I would pay to come have lunch there for the Salad Bar. At $20 PP it is truly a bargain. After dinner we came up to our cabin and basically packed, it took about 20 minutes and we had things ready but we were meeting Kathy and Bob at Spinnakers for the Band Jump at 9pm doing Beatles songs. They were fantastic, they ended it with like Paul ends his concerts singing "Hey Jude" and everyone with their arms waving in the air. What a great way to end the last night on a perfect cruise. The other good thing about dining in Moderno is that that you also get entertained dining with who is performing in the atrium. Tonight was Patti and Jose'. After the Band Jump we did stick around to watch a little of Second City Comedy Unplugged before we headed back to the cabin. It looks like the night is still going strong here on the Dawn.

I want to thank all of you for following along on our week. Tom and I might not do the same things you like to do on a cruise but I hope that some of it reminded you of your cruise. Our next cruise is not till May when we will return to HAL Zuiderdam but more than likely we will be returning to NCL for a 2 week cruise in Fall 2013. We just need to narrow it down between Jade, or a couple of repositioning cruises including the Dawn's from Boston or possibly the Star.

Signing off one last time from the Beautiful Free Stylin Norwegian Dawn.

I thoroughly enjoyed your reports. It helped me get over my PCDS (Post Cruise Depression Syndrome) somewhat....;)

I know just what you mean by seven days is too short...even 16 days on the Dawn was not enough, I could have gone on for more, had work commitment not interfered.:)

I think you will find the Dawn repo a great way to go. Better than doing a B2B, IMHO.....

Oodles of fun following you Lisa as always:)

When you get home and you have time - could you educate us newbies on NCL suites a bit please? i know you think they are the best - I have figured out some of the nice stuff that goes with them - Cagney's, coffee machine and trying to figure out other stuff. I have been searching but I guess I am using the wrong words????

In any case, looking at the NCL website they say that there is a set up of choice of liquor, etc. Is this just a choice and then you pay or is the set up complimentary?

Anything else those of us considering NCL suites should know?

If there are any other amenities that those looking should know - please share:) Thanks Lisa - or anyone else willing to help:)

Safe Travels home :)

I just got back from the repo cruise on the Dawn. They placed a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of water in our suite. The stocked minibar was there, but anything taken was chargeable.

At least in our category, SJ Family Suite--the lowest level full suite. The higher level ones may include more.

They also offer a private 'VIP' cocktail party with fellow suite guests, and ship officers. This is in addition to parties for Latitudes members.We also had very nice floral arrangement that was changed halfway thru cruise.

And our butler delivered canape's, petit fours, or chocolate strawberries each afternoon, along with fruit bowl--we requiested and received table grapes.

This was our first suite experience, and as the late Jackie Gleason would say: "How sweet it is!":)

Thursday November 15, 2012

Hola from some where off the East coast of Mexico heading to Cozumel.

We really had an amazing time in Costa Maya going to Maya Chan Beach. I can say that I highly recommend this for a beach day in Costa Maya. Now just need to figure out when we can do this again. We left Maya Chan about 2:30 and a van returned us to the port. We walked the shops but since the Carnival Dream had already left I was surprised how many shops had already closed up. The other thing I had noticed when we were here last 2 years ago on the Solstice. I find the prices to be much higher compared to Belize and Roatan. I was looking for a pharmacy because as luck would have it I have an upper respiratory thing starting, you know the slight soar throat, coughing and stuff nose. I thought I would purchase Zpack that or some Keflex but the prices were silly high. I should have bought in Belize. So any way I have been taking some Zicam I brought and I also had a few Day Quil gel caps so took some of those and took a nap. I woke up about 7. Tom went up to the Garden Cafe and brought me back some pizza and an ice tea. We are just hanging out here in the cabin this evening. Hopefully the cough will go away quickly.

Tomorrow is Cozumel and we have a tradition when we go there to go to Pancho's Back Yard which is a great Mexican Restaurant.This will be our 4th time there and Bob and Kathy's 2nd. That will basically be our day. Although we will have to grab a taxi since it is up at the newest pier and we are docking near downtown.

Sadly this week is flying by far too quickly, I really wish we would have done a B2B. This itinerary is just really good and sailing out of Tampa is very easy I just wish the flight to get from Las Vegas to Tampa was not such a pain.

Signing off from the Beautiful Free Stylin Norwegian Dawn.:)

Love your review and hope you are feeling better now! How does one get to Maya Chan beach? This sounds like a great day.

I just got back from the repo cruise on the Dawn. They placed a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of water in our suite. The stocked minibar was there, but anything taken was chargeable.

At least in our category, SJ Family Suite--the lowest level full suite. The higher level ones may include more.

They also offer a private 'VIP' cocktail party with fellow suite guests, and ship officers. This is in addition to parties for Latitudes members.We also had very nice floral arrangement that was changed halfway thru cruise.

And our butler delivered canape's, petit fours, or chocolate strawberries each afternoon, along with fruit bowl--we requiested and received table grapes.

This was our first suite experience, and as the late Jackie Gleason would say: "How sweet it is!":)

Thanks very much - really appreciate the info:)

A nice review as always. You beautifully capture why so many of us love freestyle cruising. Based on some of the comments here the HAL board, it's probably important to note that all NCL passengers, no matter the cabin category, receive the same wonderful service as the suite passengers, if not all the perqs. I hope your next cruise is another great one, and I look forward to reading about it.

A nice review as always. You beautifully capture why so many of us love freestyle cruising. Based on some of the comments here the HAL board, it's probably important to note that all NCL passengers, no matter the cabin category, receive the same wonderful service as the suite passengers, if not all the perqs. I hope your next cruise is another great one, and I look forward to reading about it.

All passengers on HAL receive the same service as well:)

I have a huge history with NCL from way back - my biggest concern is that the MDR is not great and you basically have to go to pay for restaurants every night to have a good meal:confused::confused:

The last time on NCL when freestyle dining was brought out the dining room was abysmal to say the least - now, that could be a one time experience I know, but to me restaurants on board are a treat and not a necessity - I may have to re-evaluate this I think:rolleyes:

Lisa's threads are always great. Such a joy to read. Smooth seas to all:)

Enjoying your review! Amazing how quickly a week on a cruise goes :eek:. As a bonafide spoiled suite traveler, I enjoyed your POV and comparisons to other ships/lines.

Just a quick note from posts at the beginning of your cruise (maybe you knew this already) but, you should have asked your butler for the robes/slippers if they were missing, as they are supposed to be in your suite. And for those sea days when you woke after 9 am, you could have your butler deliver the Cagney's breakfast of your choice right up to your room without having to rush to make it before Cagney's stopped serving breakfast :)

Love the "live from..." format, and can't wait to read your future installments

~Michele:D

Hi just thought I would say " from Nashville"

Disembarkation went fairly smooth, the Hyatt Place did take awhile to get us but still a good deal for $40 taking Borg Tom and I too the pier and the to the airport. I will definitely look to do more cruises out of Tampa.

We did get our robes and slippers the second day when we mentioned it.

Now it may be me it I found the dinners in Venetian Main Dining room to be better than Aqua. Well they are boarding so gotta go will write more later

Now it may be me it I found the dinners in Venetian Main Dining room to be better than Aqua. Well they are boarding so gotta go will write more later

Hmmm, thnaks for the heads up! Just booked the Dawn today and not sure what they will offer for the specialty restaurants yet.

Glad you enjoyed sailing from Tampa :D

All passengers on HAL receive the same service as well:)

I have a huge history with NCL from way back - my biggest concern is that the MDR is not great and you basically have to go to pay for restaurants every night to have a good meal:confused::confused:

The last time on NCL when freestyle dining was brought out the dining room was abysmal to say the least - now, that could be a one time experience I know, but to me restaurants on board are a treat and not a necessity - I may have to re-evaluate this I think:rolleyes:

Lisa's threads are always great. Such a joy to read. Smooth seas to all:)

No worries on the food in the MDR, we always eat in there and I love the food!!!

I think our very first cruise we tried a specialty restaurant and didn't really find it exceptional in any way compared to MDR. We have never bothered with it again.

No worries on the food in the MDR, we always eat in there and I love the food!!!

I think our very first cruise we tried a specialty restaurant and didn't really find it exceptional in any way compared to MDR. We have never bothered with it again.

Good to know! I just booked our first NCL cruise on the Dawn and have been wondering if the MDR will be fine for us. Anytime I don't have to cook - it's a great meal :D

Do you have the dailies you could share?

I did actually bring them home and will take pictures of them in the next few days, Work has me swamped and I have way too many things to get done with Thanksgiving in a couple of days but I will try to post them on Friday because I have the day off.

Lisa or others, What exactly does the Butler provide in a suite on NCL? Is he the steward with additional duties, a different person than the steward, does he have less cabins? I am curious as to what about having a butler makes the cruise so much more special or enjoyable. Thanks.

Archived