Premium alcohol package...question

Caroldoll

If we decide to go with the unlimited package do the selection of wines by the glass differ from those in the GDR? On reading the online info I cannot see any wine by the glass seelction other than the ones for the GDR.

This up and coming cruise in Feb will be our first with Oceania and we are still considering whether or not to purchase the drinks package.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

The online "by the glass" menu is identical to the one offered through the "Prestige" package.

As long as you have booked "Prestige", the selection remains the same Anywhere on the ship as long as ANY BAR is open.

Trust me, if you are any kind of a drinker, it is SO WORTH IT.

Premium drink package, for those who like to wet their appetite is worth the expense. With the BIB plan wine is served by the glass, but you don't have to empty it to receive more. So far, and I think it will continue, the pour keeps coming has often as you request. No limit. Don't have to wait until glass is empty.You want the bottle you got it, and this is from a very decent selection. DW and I have had our cocktails each night in the lounges, mine is a double Grey Goose, splash of tonic, hers, Belvedere martini straight up. At 10 bucks a shot you can see it is worth the cost. Two drinks each plus wine, some 10 each and over, and oh yea, Champagne is included with this also. A couple of choices are 20 a glass. Not bad. Oceania gives you the option of how much and how often. For those beer drinkers, it's also included.

My only complaint, though minuscule, we have to each present our own card each time we order. Don't want any double down on one card.:rolleyes:

That's odd, we presented are card only once when ordering. Now if you go to another area we needed to show the card again, but just for the first drink. And like everyone else said, it's really worth the price, we ordered the "P" package on are last cruise and again for the cruise's in Jan and Aug (when we booked the cruise).

Rick

That's odd, we presented are card only once when ordering. Now if you go to another area we needed to show the card again, but just for the first drink. And like everyone else said, it's really worth the price, we ordered the "P" package on are last cruise and again for the cruise's in Jan and Aug (when we booked the cruise).

Rick

I think what they were getting at is that each time that a couple enters a new restaurant or bar, then both parties need to show the card.

Not to put too fine a point on it, some people usually expect all of that red tape to be taken care of by their husbands.... :rolleyes:

Not to put too fine a point on it, some people usually expect all of that red tape to be taken care of by their husbands.... :rolleyes:

REALLY :eek:

I can show my card all by myself :D

but of course I am not a high maintenance kind of gal :D

I think what they were getting at is that each time that a couple enters a new restaurant or bar, then both parties need to show the card.

J&S. Correct. We did each have to show our card the first time in any particular bar. After that, they waited utill the end to swipe our cards again. I would like to think that this may be a way to keep track of the inventory. Or to keep track on me.:D

Sitting in the sanctuary right now, 11:44am. A most wonderful day. Temp 73f, partly cloudy. Sail away at 2pm for eight days to Miami. Pool party starts at 1:30.

This, so far has been a most wonderful cruise. Oceania has meet all expectations.:)

Betsy is hardly what anyone would call "high maintenance", but she isn't what one would call "detail oriented", so I handle all the "red tape", from booking the cruise, flights and hotels, to handling excursions, doing research, carrying the reading glasses, carrying entrance tickets where needed, and carrying the World Cards. When we get the premium drink package in December, I'll hand the server both cards. :)

Betsy is hardly what anyone would call "high maintenance", but she isn't what one would call "detail oriented", so I handle all the "red tape", from booking the cruise, flights and hotels, to handling excursions, doing research, carrying the reading glasses, carrying entrance tickets where needed, and carrying the World Cards. When we get the premium drink package in December, I'll hand the server both cards. :)

When we get the premium drink package in December, I'll hand the server both cards.

Gallant thought, Don, but won't Betsy need to hold on to her own room key?

That's funny Don, but I think Jim or Stan is right. For myself, I like to control my own destiny--especially since we won't necessarily be in the same bars at the same time! Oh, and I handle all the red tape pre-cruise, although David often handles much of it while travelling (boarding passes, etc.)

Heard a rumor last night they will be changing the wine by the glass menu to possibly include more varieties. No details as of yet, but it may be starting once riviera gets to Miami. Keep your eyes and ears open for more information. Remember this was just a rumor.

Heard a rumor last night they will be changing the wine by the glass menu to possibly include more varieties. No details as of yet, but it may be starting once riviera gets to Miami. Keep your eyes and ears open for more information. Remember this was just a rumor.

The next time that you are discussing the Beverage Package, please put in a good word for a Menu of the Selections being distributed to participants....or at least having them available in the restaurants.

It's awkward asking the Sommelier to repeat the entire litany at each meal.

I guess you misunderstood -- I always carry both "room keys" (actually, the World Card on Oceania) and Betsy gets it from me if she has to go back to the cabin for something. Always have, probably always will. This is not my idea; it's what she perfers.

• 3 weeks later...
Be nice if it were $50 for the whole cruise, wouldn't it????

Well, your allowed to bring 3 bottles of Wine or Champagne per room. Also you can pick up more wine in the ports of call. As for the liquor.....

just bring your own, like most people do....And Voila.....$50-$100 for your whole cruise....

I did not know there was a 3 bottle limit. Last month, I brought onboard Riviera two cases of wine over the course of several weeks - bottles we purchased in ports - without any problem or question from anyone.

Yes, there was a corkage fee of $25 in the dining rooms. I thought that was reasonable considering the lovely glassware & terrific wine steward service. We had no problems glugging away on our cabin balcony. The ship's wine selection is just okay and we ordered a number of wines from the list. But (not to sound snobbish) I really enjoyed buying & trying locally sourced wines from the ports, esp wines we can't get in the US.

When I compared the per-day package $50 price vs what we spent on wine/liquor, the cost was roughly the same. The ship package would have limited us to what the ship had on offer. I enjoy cocktails and wine but prefer to have flexibility and freedom of choice on any given day. That worked for us - pick and choose between our stash or the ship - but I appreciate your mileage will differ.

Would love to know more as well. We are first time on Oceania May 2013 Venice to Athens. I checked out the drinks package but was confused by what seemed like limited choices for wine. We'd like to have our choice of lovely wine, not limited by anything, not sure if the package makes sense if when we get there and see our choices are limited at dinner by something on the low end. Any comments from experienced cruisers and wine lovers?

Many thanks,

Lisa and Simon from Los Angeles

It would seem with a corkage fee of $25 plus the cost of a good wine, that bringing is not a value proposition versus the package. Of course it is fun to try local wines so there is a very good reason to consider this option. I enjoy drinking in social settings rather than in the cabin, as well. Maybe if I were in a penthouse I would feel differently.

Since we are on a TransAtlantic there will not be any wine ports (ie Bermuda).

Itinerary and number of sea days also play a role in deciding what do do. If I was getting up early and touring all day, i would not have bought the package as I would be drinking much less.

Not least of which is what ones normal consumption is. A few glasses of champagne and wine with dinner, the martini put us over $50 pp per day. But we do drink more than the average couple.

I did buy my package before dec 10. Thank you board!

It would seem with a corkage fee of $25 plus the cost of a good wine, that bringing is not a value proposition versus the package

PRECISELY!

Oceania's liberal alcohol policy was engineered to add variety, not to provide a lower cost option.

We'd like to have our choice of lovely wine, not limited by anything,

Well that's not going to happen, but the wine choices within both of the Packages ARE rather extensive. ALL of the wines that are offered by the glass in any of the bars are included, and that puts the selection well above the "low end".

On our last cruise, this covered:

• One Champagne (Perrier Jouët Grand Brut)
  • Four Sparkling Wines
  • Five Whites
  • Two Blush
  • Eight Reds
  • Five Dessert or Port.

Adding in the additional options (in the Select Package only) of a pre dinner Aperitif and/or a postprandial Brandy or Cognac, and the Package becomes a wonderful value.

Archived