Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

There are girls on board celebrating their 15th birthday.... someone will know the correct word for this in Spanish... the first pic was taken, in all her finery, in WJ at lunch

IMG_0459.jpg

A Quinceañera i think it is Linda?

Hope your having a lovely cruise, im certainly loving your photoos!

Louise x

Hi Linda! Really enjoying the review! Do you know if they have the Coke Freestyle machines on board? Also, the chicken pox outbreak scares me a little. My daughter (early 30's) is sailing with me on the 2nd of Dec and has not had them yet. :eek: Do you have more details by any chance? Thanks Linda, keep up the Great work!

There is a chicken pox vaccine available [i know for kids, but ...have her check with her doctor.]

Quincenara (i really butchered the spelling) is the celebration of a Hispanic young ladies 15th birthday. It's usually quite a big deal. I was on a short RCI cruise last year and there was a group of about 50 with chaperones onboard. They were adorable. Totally enjoying your hard work and your reporting. I can't wait to go on the cruise. Bonni

It is chicken pox not the plague.

No, it's not the plague, but in a hospital you'd be in a negative pressure room to keep the germs from spreading as it's an airborne disease...and very dangerous to those with who are immunocompromised, like those who have to be on steroids long term for different conditions, or have had chemo, etc. Chicken pox may be 'child's play' for kids, but try having them as an adult. People can die from them even with modern healthcare. They are no joke.

No, it's not the plague, but in a hospital you'd be in a negative pressure room to keep the germs from spreading as it's an airborne disease...and very dangerous to those with who are immunocompromised, like those who have to be on steroids long term for different conditions, or have had chemo, etc. Chicken pox may be 'child's play' for kids, but try having them as an adult. People can die from them even with modern healthcare. They are no joke.

I don't think Ocean Boy was making it seem otherwise. I do believe he was wishing people wouldn't panic over this. This ship is taking every necessary precaution to keep not only the guests with this but the other guests safe as well. I am hoping that Linda will keep us informed of what if anything else is given to the passengers regarding this.

People are put in negative pressure rooms for all kinds of infectious diseases. And people who are immuno-compromised have issues with a multitude of contagious organisms and need to be careful anywhere they go. Getting on an airplane or being in a crowded place like on a cruise ship is probably not the best idea. We are exposed every day to people carrying transmittable infectious agents. And yes, a person can die from chicken pox and can easily die from the flu too. And the same is true for almost any other virus, bacteria, or fungus if the conditions are right but most of us don't. Once again, it isn't the plague. My point was that there is no reason to put the person off the ship at the first port of call as was suggested. I am quite sure the ship's medical staff will take appropriate steps to protect the shipboard community. And of course, this all assuming it is chicken pox and not some coxsackie virus which can look similar. But since I have not looked at the rash I'll leave it at that.

Hopefully, everything will be ok

Archived