Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Linda, did you drink my drink for me? You all sound like it's a lot of fun, wish I could be there with you. I am trying to take off the 10+ pounds I gained on the cruise we just got off of. Now with Turkey day approaching, here comes another 2 pounds, sigh. I wish it came off as easy as is goes on. Hugs to you, say hi to Patty and Scott for me. Next time we will try to cruise with you all.

My daughter is in the Mystery Dinner Theater and says they haven't started doing them yet. Been in rehearsals and tech runs. She is going to let me know when they start them up.

:DI can't wait...we always enjoy the Murder mystery Dinner in Portofino's.....Be sure to let me know who your daughter is so I can say hello.

Angela

Linda, did you drink my drink for me? You all sound like it's a lot of fun, wish I could be there with you. I am trying to take off the 10+ pounds I gained on the cruise we just got off of. Now with Turkey day approaching, here comes another 2 pounds, sigh. I wish it came off as easy as is goes on. Hugs to you, say hi to Patty and Scott for me. Next time we will try to cruise with you all.

Hey :D Will do

We are also booked for the murder mystery. I'll look for her as well. What's her name?

Not my daughter... AOSMOm's daughter is called Kristian....she is cute petite and blonde!!

Wasn’t able to finish posting my pics as it turns out the probs WERE RCCL’s after all. Went to GS where the lovely crew member who knows me by name explains that I am still logged in….. I explain that on being booted off I can no longer access the log off screen. She credits me back and gives me the link to access log off should I need it in future.

So.

Portofino’s. You will notice in the following pics that the dessert ones are lacking. There is a reason for this but first let me say that last night after dinner I had been to have a word with the Maitre d’ at Portofino to advise them of my GF needs and did they want me to choose from the menu? ‘No worries…. We just tell chef when you are here…. Don’t worry all is fine….’

Breathe in. And out.

We arrive early and are seated. I recognise our server, who had served me 2 years ago. She actually remember me as at that meal there was also a dessert incident….. but that’s altogether a different matter and I don’t recall if it made that blog. Anyway. She assures me they have GF bread for me. A waiter arrives with crudités which we weren’t expecting…. Apparently if more than 2 people are dining you get them…. And I have my own GF ones on the same bread that I was served first night in the MDR. I appreciate the thought and effort but they are filling enough for a meal in itself and I make do with the toppings. Really nice. Patty and Scott have theirs on crispy French bread…. They also have a lovely basket of assorted breads.

Starters and Main Course choices are easily picked from the new menu which is clearly marked. I settle for a Merlot – Sonoma Valley – Clos something or other….. really nice…. Best so far. I knew what it was then but have had a Bellini in the meantime and my memory is gone now….

Half way through the main course our server informs me that there won’t be a choice of GF dessert for me as there isn’t any and the chef will make me a bowl of berries. This is my thread and you can flame me all you want. Seriously? A bowl of berries? I can get a bowl of berries in the MDR. And even in the MDR there is a choice of GF dessert. I tell her I will have the BBB from the MDR. I ask for the Maitre d’ and express my disappointment. He apologises and walks away. The BBB arrives and there are 2 chocolate covered strawberries as a gesture of goodwill. Maitre d’ returns and says that I can return for dessert another night and the chef will make a dessert at that time. I don’t want to spoil the evening for my friends who have enjoyed their meal…I missed taking the pics of their desserts (Patty had the sampler plate and I have no idea what Scott had. Something chocolate covered). I have a BBB in my fridge which I will eat when I am done writing this up.

I head off to post the days pics… I have some sort of routine established now… and start off in the promenade café….. when hiccoughs occur I figure it’s location and head up to the Viking Lounge. They recognise me and bring me the Bellini…. Dani the waiter sees me being fraught and brings me a glass of nuts and raisins. The usually exuberant crowd isn’t there…. I realise afterwards that they’re on Deck 5 where it’s 70’s night. I manage to post some more pics before I am rigorously booted off the server. I am unable to log off. I head down to GS……. Scroll up a few lines and we are back at the beginning.

Hopefully will try and maintain the rate of posts……

Oh. I forgot to mention something…… there is chickenpox on board. No towel animal tonight just a letter saying that cases of Varicella have been confirmed. The individuals have been isolated and are currently being treated and cared for until their symptoms resolve. They will continue to be isolated and treated until they are no longer infectious. The medical facility is available for complementary consultation.

Again, I can't believe my luck to find this post! Thanks everyone for the information concerning the internet access. I was excited to see the comment about the airport at the beach. Sometime back I saw a video of this and didn't realize it would be a port I was going to visit. I was going to ask if there was an excursion that went to this beach. I see that it is marked clearly though about catching a cab there.

This cruise and my onboard credit are all because of my RCI CC points. So, I have loaded up in onboard credits and hope that most of my sight seeing costs can be used that way. Are there any trips to this beach via RCI excursions?

Thanks so much.

Again, I can't believe my luck to find this post! Thanks everyone for the information concerning the internet access. I was excited to see the comment about the airport at the beach. Sometime back I saw a video of this and didn't realize it would be a port I was going to visit. I was going to ask if there was an excursion that went to this beach. I see that it is marked clearly though about catching a cab there.

This cruise and my onboard credit are all because of my RCI CC points. So, I have loaded up in onboard credits and hope that most of my sight seeing costs can be used that way. Are there any trips to this beach via RCI excursions?

Thanks so much.

I don't think that there are any specific excursions to Maho. However, in addition to taxis, you can also use the public buses which charge $2.00 per person each way. They leave from in front of the town hall which is located on Back Street in downtown Phillisburg. I always look forward to going out to Maho and getting blasted by jet exhaust! :)

Linda this is great, I love the blog! Can you keep us posted on the Chickenpox thing? First it was a Dengue Fever outbreak in Puerto Rico, then it was a gastro illness on the transatlantic, and now chickenpox on board. I'm sailing on the December 2nd cruise on the Adventure but this cruise is beginning to become a bit of a health worry! Have you heard anything about either of the other two health concerns?

Hi Linda! Really enjoying the review! Do you know if they have the Coke Freestyle machines on board? Also, the chicken pox outbreak scares me a little. My daughter (early 30's) is sailing with me on the 2nd of Dec and has not had them yet. :eek: Do you have more details by any chance? Thanks Linda, keep up the Great work!

Hi,

At time of writing nothing to update you regarding the chickenpox notification... if I find out anything I will let you know but I wouldn't lose sleep about it....

Am at the end of an exhausting day… well I say the end it’s 450pm….. I’ve been watching the stragglers from my balcony….. never ceases to amaze me…. The last chap had run back down the pier to take a photograph before running back to board….

We’ve arranged to meet Gordon at 830 for our tour. I see others from the roll call board their Adventure Speed boats…. I hope they had fun! We are delayed slightly as we waited for people to join us; they never materialised. That is so inconsiderate. Am currently in the Viking lounge just in case others turn up for the M&M that was to have been. Dani, my friendly barman, has made me something he recommends….a Mudslide….just delivered. OMG….. am I to eat or drink it? They don’t have decaf coffee up here which would be my drink of choice at this hour. We are currently pulling out of port ahead of Celebrity Summit.

Back to Antigua. Stunningly beautiful scenery. Gordon is an excellent guide; very animated. I can see why he comes so highly recommended. They drive on the left here with right hand drive cars!! Remnant of their British affiliation. He drives us initially to his house to collect something and then we’re off around the island.

I’m hoping the pictures will be self explanatory. We head for the ruins of a sugar plantation where we pay $2 pp to view the museum which describes the story of some of the slave workers from Africa whose labours where abused so violently. We then go to the overview of Nelsons Boatyard ($8 pp)where there is a televised animation detailing the history of the island and the importance of the British garrison at the time. Gordon provides some hot snacks for Patty and Scott; I can’t partake of the pasties as they are pastry based. They tell me they are delicious. He also takes us to purchase soft drinks in a nearby store.

The boatyard itself is really interesting; the preservation of the buildings a work in progress. There are vendors at every stop; they sell T-shirts and other garments, jewellery, magnets etc…. different island same produce with different prints. We then drive to experience the most stunning view of all which includes a house previously owned by Eric Clapton. Apparently there is a studio on Montserrat, a nearby island; he now lives in another house nearby.

We arrive back in St John’s around 2pm. I am exhausted and very hungry. We visit Gordon’s mother’s dress shop. She caters for the generously sized and had some nice pieces. I head back to WindJammer for some tandoori chicken. Then the Pool Bar for a Pimm’s….. I’m feeling suitably mellow and join in the line-dancing. Seriously. A third of a glass of Pimm’s and I’ve lost the plot. Headlines will read : Granny still has life in her yet but will someone take charge of her!! Well I can still cha-cha!!

Beatlemaniacs were the band last night….. I’ve seen them (or bands similar) previously and if I’m honest I totally forgot they were on…. Tonight is the Ice Show, the Love and Marriage show and late night Pool party. More food. If I’m still up I’ll grab pics for you but don’t hold your breath!

Patty and Scott are dining in WJ this evening. I’ve had a look at the menu and think I will go for the Surf and Turf having read so much about it…. I hadn’t realised that it came at a supplement… I will probably just have the one course having had such a late lunch.

I’ve written this up offline of course. No-one appears to have come expecting the M&M… at least no-one has approached me…. Will upload the pics then try and connect. See you on the other side! This Mudslide is gooooood.

Archived