Confirming no beverage card discount onboard Zaandam

HALFans

I really do not have a lot of faith in what I was told by Ships Services and will just roll with the punches. I think the representative was so unsure of the new changes that she just wanted to boot my questions and concerns to someone else.

I am sure there is no such 25% Mariner discount for the on- board purchase of a beverage card after all they are making cuts everywhere but I will definitely ask at the Front Desk when we board in 4 weeks.

I definitely agree with you, unpleasant surprises are not what you hope for when planing a cruise. Fingers crossed that they will still allow one to bring on board personal beverages. I fear that is the next to go!

9 days crossing the Atlantic = it better not be the next thing to go

Bolding is mine to just highlight what we are talking about.

I am not prepared for any more surprises - sailing on the Elegant Explorer carries a premium price - that's ok - she's worth it - and I happily buy drinks in the Crow's Nest, at bingo whatever. I do feel however that I should be able to relax in my room that cost big $$$ and have a glass of my own wine that I chose:eek:

[/size][/b]

9 days crossing the Atlantic = it better not be the next thing to go

Bolding is mine to just highlight what we are talking about.

I am not prepared for any more surprises - sailing on the Elegant Explorer carries a premium price - that's ok - she's worth it - and I happily buy drinks in the Crow's Nest, at bingo whatever. I do feel however that I should be able to relax in my room that cost big $$$ and have a glass of my own wine that I chose:eek:

I absolutely agree!!!!

Since we can't get them discounted, we aren't going to bother buying them.

Feel the same as you if I didn't get it discounted.

For clarification, if there is now no discount on the Beverage Cards, is there a (3*) Mariner's discount on individual drinks? :confused: My preference would be glasses of wine! ;)

I checked the Hal website and looked at what the beverage card could be used for and it did not mention wine packages. The wine packages for the most part cost more than the beverage card.

I did a live chat with HAL earlier this year and was told they could be used to buy wine packages BUT you can't double dip - so if you have a mariner's discount you are better off using your key card and not the beverage card:D

Does anyone already know if the 10% discount is going to be discontinnued .

Its still there for my April 2013 cruise but as some here said not on other cruises.

You would think there should be the same policy on all ships ( i know not always on HAL:rolleyes:)

Maria

Maria, I would expect that at some point the discount price for the cards will disappear. To be certain of benefiting from the discount, it's probably a good idea to purchase as soon as possible. The prices will change with no warning.

Is the card actually a physical card that needs to be carried around; a declining balance card?

If so the only benefit is the $25 saved off $250 worth of coffee, wine, drinks? Otherwise the key card is just swiped and it goes on the bill for the end of the cruise (Minus shipboard credits) Do I have this correct?

Is the card actually a physical card that needs to be carried around; a declining balance card?

If so the only benefit is the $25 saved off $250 worth of coffee, wine, drinks? Otherwise the key card is just swiped and it goes on the bill for the end of the cruise (Minus shipboard credits) Do I have this correct?

Yes -- it is a physical card that needs to be carried around -- you get a receipt each time you purchase something so that you can see how much you have left on the card.

We have used quite a few of them the last couple of years.

Sadly our cruise is before those people who have cruises in April and when I checked online last night -- no discounts on any card!!

I already did buy some yesterday just to be sure:)

Last year they made a change with the 100$ cards (90$ to 95$)

quite silent and quickly and i was just in time to buy for 90$

It happened right in the middle of our Collectors Cruise last November on the Noordam.

None of the bar staff ever made mention that about the $100 card costing $95 and that there was a $250 card available. We found out on our own.

Does anyone already know if the 10% discount is going to be discontinnued .

Its still there for my April 2013 cruise but as some here said not on other cruises.

You would think there should be the same policy on all ships ( i know not always on HAL:rolleyes:)

Maria

HAL is inconsistant on too many things!!

That is why some of us have gotten disgusted with them -- like us -- who have cancelled cruises on HAL.

For clarification, if there is now no discount on the Beverage Cards, is there a (3*) Mariner's discount on individual drinks? :confused: My preference would be glasses of wine! ;)

We have bought drinks without the cards -- especially at the end of cruise and have never gotten any discounts -- not even at lour 4 star status.

You pay for it upfront. I just ordered one for our cruise in April - to be waiting for us in our cabin.

Then it works like a debit card when you order something.

So, for myself, I guess that the best option would be for me to purchase 6 bottles of wine at the 'Wine Store' in 'Harbor Shops Plaza' in Ft. Lauderdale, pre-cruise, prior to my 20-Day Trans Panama Canal cruise next year! (With a three glass pour per bottle, one glass per day, I should have enough supply for the 20 day cruise, shouldn't I)? :D

So, for myself, I guess that the best option would be for me to purchase 6 bottles of wine at the 'Wine Store' in 'Harbor Shops Plaza' in Ft. Lauderdale, pre-cruise, prior to my 20-Day Trans Panama Canal cruise next year! (With a three glass pour per bottle, one glass per day, I should have enough supply for the 20 day cruise, shouldn't I)? :D

That and corkage fee (assuming you are taking it to the Lido) you should be fine.

I can't say it would do us - but you obviously have more self control than we do:D:p

Archived