Confirming no beverage card discount onboard Zaandam

HALFans

Or Total Wine which sounds close to the port and allows for online ordering for pick up. I figured we'd just buy Cokes aboard to mix with our rum but I'm peeved enough at losing the bev card discount that I'm going to stop there for wine and Cokes.

Or Total Wine which sounds close to the port and allows for online ordering for pick up. I figured we'd just buy Cokes aboard to mix with our rum but I'm peeved enough at losing the bev card discount that I'm going to stop there for wine and Cokes.

The soda card is still good if that's of interest to you:D:D

The soda card is still good if that's of interest to you:D:D

Nope, miffed at losing my $25 discount on the $250 card, I plan to bring our own sodas aboard even if they end up costing me more at the wine shop than on board and I have to lug them all the way to the cabin. Sheer matter of principle, not logic ;)

Besides, it will be nice to not have to juggle multiple cards. I always misplace the beverage cards. I never misplace my room card key.

Nope, miffed at losing my $25 discount on the $250 card, I plan to bring our own sodas aboard even if they end up costing me more at the wine shop than on board and I have to lug them all the way to the cabin. Sheer matter of principle, not logic ;)

Besides, it will be nice to not have to juggle multiple cards. I always misplace the beverage cards. I never misplace my room card key.

I understand what you mean. I usually don't mind purchasing my Diet Coke on board, but I think this year I will bring my own in retaliation. I see it as a small step in recouping my $25 :) .

Does anyone know if the soda card is good for cans or glasses? If it's glasses, we too will be lugging a couple of cases on board!

Cans. It works out to little more than $1 with the gratuity charge when you use the soda card so it's really not a bad deal at all compared to the mark up on wine purchased aboard. If you have to make a choice, I'd lug wine and buy sodas on the ship.

What in heavens name would be the benefit to buying ahead of time? Same price AND you have to keep up with a second card.

At this point, it's merely a gift card that someone else could buy you as a bon voyage gift. Unfortunately I don't have friends like that :(

Does anyone know if the soda card is good for cans or glasses? If it's glasses, we too will be lugging a couple of cases on board!

Thanks...

I think HAL is switching it up (again). If you use the soda card it's a fountain drink (glass). If you use your room key you get a can. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667735&highlight=soda

The discount is gone for my March 29th sailing on Zuiderdam...was waiting until after I got my bonus to buy the card....oh well...guess I will just be bringing a couple extra bottles of wine onboard & make due with that...hope they still have the Happy Hour Specials by the time I sail..:(

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the reply that HAL sent me:

"Hello Jacquie, Thank you for your patience while we researched your question for you. Our discounted beverage cards have now been discontinued. Beverage cards will still be offered at regular cost. This allows you to purchase drinks a head of time for good budget planning while on the cruise. For more information regarding our beverage cards or any other indulgences on the ship your can contact our Ship Services department at 800-541-1576. Happy cruising!"

Sure enough, I went to check my Prinsendam cruise and all the beverage cards (except the soda card) are now full price. For those of you who wisely bought your cards early - congratulations - you just saved yourself some money.

I checked and the discount cards are still available for our Amsterdam cruise so I will be purchasing today.

Can anyone tell me if this can also be used when ordering liquor packages or beer buckets to the room from room service? Trying to figure whether we need 1 or 2.

Thank you!

As a newbie to sailing with HAL, I'm wondering would why anyone would purchase a beverage card for full price? Isn't it just as easy to purchase drinks one at a time? If there was a discount, as with the soda card, that makes sense, but for full price why even offer it?

As a newbie to sailing with HAL, I'm wondering would why anyone would purchase a beverage card for full price?

I find it easier to use a beverage card, even if there isn't a monetary benefit. I purchase the card, and have one charge on my account. Then, there's a running balance on the individual beverage purchase slip. I can keep track of how much I have left, but have only the one charge to proof out against my final bill.

No piles of purchase slips to keep track of!

I checked and the discount cards are still available for our Amsterdam cruise so I will be purchasing today.

Can anyone tell me if this can also be used when ordering liquor packages or beer buckets to the room from room service? Trying to figure whether we need 1 or 2.

Thank you!

I don't believe you can use them for room service - they aren't geared for them - so that will be charged to your room key.

I find it easier to use a beverage card, even if there isn't a monetary benefit. I purchase the card, and have one charge on my account. Then, there's a running balance on the individual beverage purchase slip. I can keep track of how much I have left, but have only the one charge to proof out against my final bill.

No piles of purchase slips to keep track of!

Same here Ruth - a lot easier than all of those 'little' slips:) Also buying them early helps take the bite out of the bill at the end of the cruise:)

Even buying a drinks card with no discount can have its advantages..especially if you watch the exchange rates if from outside the USA.

A few cents in the rates can easily save you a good discount if brought at the right time.

I am assuming that now that there is no discount, that the beverage cards can be used for happy hour and drink of the day specials?

Sailing on theWesterdam January 6th....and though the card was discounted on Mnday, it is not now.

The Mrs. just bought a 24 pack of Diet Pepsi and it has the luggage tag on it. Handling will be done by the Park-N-Go people and the porters so I still expect to be saving over the discounted beverage card and no worries as to if it is cans or fountain.:)

Archived