What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Hi guys

this is probably the wrong section for a 1st post but it sort of fits... "Wear a distinctive item of clothing as you board the ship " ... that way when you are trying to find your cruise boarding photo amongst the 1000's of others.. it's a bit easier! 9 days away from our 2nd Celebrity Eclipse sailing (and 4th cruise in total)... getting excited !

Cheers

Great idea! It can be a bit of a struggle finding your pic in the maze of others.. They are usually sorted in timeframes on boarding but it doesnt take much for them to get mized up!

Safe cruising:) hope you have fun

11 pages of basically useless junk. If you brought even 1/10 of the stuff listed on these pages, you would have to go naked most of the time as there would be no room for any clothes. Also, you would be so far above your 50# limit that your baggage costs would be as much as your cruise costs.

DON

Crikey Don Lighten up mate

That goes against the whole CC idea, that we can always learn something

new from others.

11 pages of basically useless junk. If you brought even 1/10 of the stuff listed on these pages, you would have to go naked most of the time as there would be no room for any clothes. Also, you would be so far above your 50# limit that your baggage costs would be as much as your cruise costs.

DON

Gotta love you cranky, negative people.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

Guest maddycat
I pack a lightweight toothbrush holder that stands inside the medicine cabinet.

I keep a checklist on my computer - things to do before leaving home (stop mail and newspaper, feed birds, water flowers, etc.) and things to take on whatever trip - it can be changed for any trip. I print the list and keep it on the kitchen bar several days before leaving. I also put a box in the MBR closet - several weeks before our trips - to toss in small things that I don't want to forget to pack.

I also use plastic grocery bags to wrap shoes in to keep from soiling our clothes - one shoe per bag. The bags can slide into any small vacant space.

Have enjoyed reading all the other suggestions. Thanks

I just ask our cabin attendant for extra drinking glasses and put them inside the bathroom cabinet for toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

I just ask our cabin attendant for extra drinking glasses and put them inside the bathroom cabinet for toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

I do that with the cups, they make great storage for various things including pens, or hair ties...

Kari

This is a fantastic thread. I learned about some things that I had never thought of -- and will be putting to good use on my February cruise:D

One thing that I do is buy those glow in the dark necklaces/bracelets (the kind your kids would beg you to buy at fairs and such) to put on the door handle of the bathroom so if you have to get up in the middle of the night you can make your way to the restroom.

this is a fantastic thread. I learned about some things that i had never thought of -- and will be putting to good use on my february cruise:d

one thing that i do is buy those glow in the dark necklaces/bracelets (the kind your kids would beg you to buy at fairs and such) to put on the door handle of the bathroom so if you have to get up in the middle of the night you can make your way to the restroom.

genious!

• 3 months later...

DON

Oh my. If the thread was useless it wouldn't be 11+ pages long!

This thread is fun. Aside from a lot of baby and toddler gear, we always bring a door sign and magnets.

With limited outlet space, we found that purchasing the small, cheap, lightweight European outlet converters at an electronics or travel store can double our outlets space--very big plus, especially in staterooms with limited outlets.

Great idea....I do the same. Just make sure your devices are rated for up to 240v. Most chargers are now capable of 120 - 240v operation. Check the rating label.

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet since I haven't read all eleven pages but we bring four wooden clothespins with one ounce fish weights attached. We use them on the ships that have shower curtains. When you clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain it keeps the curtain from getting up close and personal with you :)

Great thread, it got me thinking about my next trip. They never come fast enough, do they?

Anyway, I would add personal filtered water bottles (1 per person) because I HATE tasting my water, paying $ 2 for a bottle or lugging a case of water to the ship.

I also pack the cheap, hanging car deodorizers (something tropical always seems appropriate) to hang wherever someplace needs to smell better, usually the closet with the shoes. I don't feel bad throwing them out at the end of the trip.

Ruthie

I, too, adopted this idea.

Then hubby had to turn round at Venice airport and go back home again leaving me with 2 suitcases and him no clothes. :eek:

My shoes and posh outfits were in his suitcase and there was no way i was letting him take them home with him! :D

NOW THATS FUNNY !

Love this thread. A lot of things I wouldn't have thought of. Will be leaving Australia for the first time, for Singapore and this thread is greatly appreciated. Of course , we wont be taking EVERTHING on this LIST . But , at least there is a list to pick stuff to take. CHEERS :D

The single best "Odd" thing I now pack for a cruise, or any trip for that matter, is a suction cup toothbrush holder. It attaches to the bathroom mirror--keeps the toothbrush out of the way, dry, but handy. The front pops open by simply pulling the handle of the brush. This little item weighs almost nothing and protects the head of the brush when packed and during the trip. I take one or two extra to give to my cabin attendant(s) who inevitably ask about them. The last batch bought I'd found in a travel shop in San Diego, but I've also ordered online and sometimes I've run across them at CVS. They last for years-- I buy so many because I also give them as little welcome gifts to the new residents at my MIL's nursing home.

I always bring an extension cord with extra power outlets. It's proven very useful a lot of times already.

I have heard of extension cords being confiscated at port; but power strips are generally fine.

The single best "Odd" thing I now pack for a cruise, or any trip for that matter, is a suction cup toothbrush holder. It attaches to the bathroom mirror--keeps the toothbrush out of the way, dry, but handy. The front pops open by simply pulling the handle of the brush. This little item weighs almost nothing and protects the head of the brush when packed and during the trip. I take one or two extra to give to my cabin attendant(s) who inevitably ask about them. The last batch bought I'd found in a travel shop in San Diego, but I've also ordered online and sometimes I've run across them at CVS. They last for years-- I buy so many because I also give them as little welcome gifts to the new residents at my MIL's nursing home.

Great idea. I usually just keep mine in a glass on the shelf, but might look for these.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Love this idea! What are they called & where in CVS or online did you find them?

I haven't seen them in CVS for some time (they carried them in the sample/trial size area) and that wonderful Le Travel store in Gaslamp District of San Diego closed this year when the owners' retired. But, Travel Smith carries an antibacterial version (look on their website in the "personal care" section) and they're available (like everything else under the sun) through Amazon dot com. I think that's where I ordered my last batch cuz they had the smiley-face-vent versions that were cheap!

I always keep my toothbrush in an enclosed case.

No way would I want it on the mirror, or just sitting in a glass or by itself on the countertop.

When the stateroom host comes in to clean, and they're swiping that dirty rag all over the bathroom, or cleaning the mirror, I don't want my toothbrush anywhere within touching distance of that rag.

I've had those toothbrush holders forever… Closes around the head, keeps it nearby. Don't have to waste counter space.

One thing I totally forgot about: a collapsible vase! The one I have weighs almost nothing (doesn't register on my scale), and flattens to the thickness of a few pieces of paper. I use it to keep fresh flowers in my cabins or rooms on vacation. Nothing like going through the marketplaces and finding some bright flowers and taking them back to the room!!! Do an internet search for "collapsible vase" and you'll find plenty of them.