What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

I am a light packer and am usually looking for what I do not have to bring, but here are some extras I actually use that are either hard to obtain or expensive aboard (they also take up very little space/weight in your luggage):

Small baggie of OTC meds (pain reliever, tummy meds, , bandaids)

Extra ziplock bags

Travel water bottles for each of us; insulated coffee mug with lid for me (I am a notorious spiller but like to walk about the ship with coffee in the mornings)

Foldable tote bag

Badge holder with neck strap (I have a bunch of these from conferences; holds your card/ID and has a zip pocket for money, a lip balm, etc - can be worn inside clothes in port or outside on ship)

extra pair of contact lenses

I am a light packer and am usually looking for what I do not have to bring, but here are some extras I actually use that are either hard to obtain or expensive aboard (they also take up very little space/weight in your luggage):

Small baggie of OTC meds (pain reliever, tummy meds, , bandaids)

Extra ziplock bags

Travel water bottles for each of us; insulated coffee mug with lid for me (I am a notorious spiller but like to walk about the ship with coffee in the mornings)

Foldable tote bag

Badge holder with neck strap (I have a bunch of these from conferences; holds your card/ID and has a zip pocket for money, a lip balm, etc - can be worn inside clothes in port or outside on ship)

extra pair of contact lenses

I've never seen one with a zip pocket. Wonder where I could find one? Any suggestions?

I am not upset about them taking it away. My husband packed it for the tools and didn't think about the knife part. I am upset that they said we would be getting it back and it disappeared. I was also warning people not to pack duct tape and to not be surprised if something that is confiscated is not returned

As for the Leatherman, it's cruising not camping. There are numerous compact multi-tools on the market without knife blades of arguably dangerous length.

What's is an arguably dangerous length? Longer than a steak knife available in any dining room?

I used to take my multi-tool in case I had to help them fix an engine or something.

Last cruise I took a three outlet tap strip, no cord, no surge suppression, and I could plug in two charger blocks at the same time. Just make sure it is UL or ETL listed and marked.

In a pinch, I found I could plug a charger block into the shaver outlet in the bathroom, just have to leave the bathroom light on.

I don't want to forget anything important :)

I forgot to add that I am a nurse and I bring enough medical supplies that I could probably do surgery in our cabin if they let me bring a scalpel onboard!

I also do (besides the denture repair lit that could save hundreds of dollars and a fruitless search for a dental clinic):

The battery operated candles..great for coffee table and bathroom as well as balcony.

Little sewing kit

Corkscrew/bottle opener combo

Little tool kit/duct tape

Manicure kit to repair nails

Heavy cord string with a few clip clothespins to dry hand washables

We go to the bank and get as many $2 bills as we can get to use for tips. One year we got 2,000 of them that lasted many trips.

A little journal to write daily notes so we don't forget the little details of the trip.

Note paper, pens

Wet wipes.

I asked my husband what else we take. He said "a lot more clothes than we will ever wear and love" and an LLBean wind up flashlight.

I forgot to add that I am a nurse and I bring enough medical supplies that I could probably do surgery in our cabin if they let me bring a scalpel onboard!

I also do (besides the denture repair lit that could save hundreds of dollars and a fruitless search for a dental clinic):

The battery operated candles..great for coffee table and bathroom as well as balcony.

Little sewing kit

Corkscrew/bottle opener combo

Little tool kit/duct tape

Manicure kit to repair nails

Heavy cord string with a few clip clothespins to dry hand washables

We go to the bank and get as many $2 bills as we can get to use for tips. One year we got 2,000 of them that lasted many trips.

A little journal to write daily notes so we don't forget the little details of the trip.

Note paper, pens

Wet wipes.

I asked my husband what else we take. He said "a lot more clothes than we will ever wear and love" and an LLBean wind up flashlight.

Why $2 bills? This has been discussed ad nauseum on CC. You are being cute. The crew hates them. I sometimes wonder if they just throw them away rather than dealing with the hassle of exchanging them.

DON

Why $2 bills? This has been discussed ad nauseum on CC. You are being cute. The crew hates them. I sometimes wonder if they just throw them away rather than dealing with the hassle of exchanging them.

DON

Threads say "bring small bills". $2 bills because they take less room than ones. If someone would throw away $2 they don't need my tips, IMHO.(and I am not being "cute".)

When my DW was a parimutual clerk some ladies thought they were cute to bet $2 bills. Of course they refused getting them back if they won.

The clerks hated them as there was no slot in the money box for them.

Personally I'd refuse a $2 bill or $1 coin if given to me in change. That's the last thing I'd give out in the middle of the ocean, just say'n.

Sent from my A1-810 using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruzincurt

Zip-lock with travel size meds, including cold meds..some ports it's hard to find a cold meds you recognize. I had the misfortune one year in Dominica. Also carry the usual Pepto, Advil, neosporin, bandaids, benedryl, etc.

Zip-locks of ALL SIZES...best tip I EVER got for packing from this site, years ago... and antiseptic wipes. I wipe out the drawers, then toss my ziplocks with underwear in a few of them, some shorts and t-shirts in some, etc. I buy all sizes and if you bring something to eat back to the cabin and put it in a zip-lock it stays fresh. Also great to bring the stinky, sweaty clothes back home or a damp swimsuit.

I also take a zip lock (quart size) and put the paperwork for each excursion we book privately, along with the cash for that excursion, plus the tip in the zip lock with the name of the port and excursion on the outside. I put these in the safe and each day, all i have to do is grab the zip-lock for that excursion and there's no hunting for the right cash, the confirmation of the excursion, phone numbers, etc. Worked PERFECTLY for our Med Cruise.

Cork-screw. The ones you can get on the ship are too flimsy.

Small bills. I put some in a sandwich size zip lock in the dresser drawer for room service tips so i'm not scrambling around in the morning when my coffee arrives (where I have put out my door hanger the night before). This also serves as my wake up call when they ring to tell me they are on the way.

LARGE Clothes hanger clips. I use them to clip a swimsuit on the back of a chair on the balcony to draw and at the pool deck to keep the wind from blowing my towel.

Small collapsible storage box..the thin cardboard/fabric ones from the dollar store. SO thin in the bottom of the suitcase you won't even notice it's there. It sits on the dresser or under the bathroom sink and holds the hair dryer, make-up, hair brushes, etc without it being strewn all over the cabin and you can pick it up and carry it from the bathroom or cabin. It's the small ones that you might slide onto a shelf in your linen closet and takes up no room. I just leave it in the cabin when we disembark. Keeps the cabin and the counters neat and clean. I hate clutter in the cabin. Made getting ready so easy and works better for me than the over-the-door thing.

Magnet with a hook. I put it on the wall and that's where the lanyard hangs. Easy to grab as I'm going out of the cabin. Easy to hang it on at night and always know where it is.

The toothbrush covers with the suction thing on the back. The bathroom shelves behind the mirrors just don't fit a toothbrush right.This works perfectly.

e.

Small bills. I put some in a sandwich size zip lock in the dresser drawer for room service tips so i'm not scrambling around in the morning when my coffee arrives (where I have put out my door hanger the night before). This also serves as my wake up call when they ring to tell me they are on the way.

Hopefully not $2 bills as PayYankee does. LOL but not really.

DON

Threads say "bring small bills". $2 bills because they take less room than ones. If someone would throw away $2 they don't need my tips, IMHO.(and I am not being "cute".)

Payankee some CC members feel it is their right to tell others how to tip,feel,cruise ,live ... you get the picture.

I agree if someone would throw away $2 than they do not need your tip!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

When my DW was a parimutual clerk some ladies thought they were cute to bet $2 bills. Of course they refused getting them back if they won.

The clerks hated them as there was no slot in the money box for them.

Personally I'd refuse a $2 bill or $1 coin if given to me in change. That's the last thing I'd give out in the middle of the ocean, just say'n.

Sent from my A1-810 using Forums mobile app

Aren't they legal tender?:confused::confused:

No need to make fun of people who have a different opinion than you do!

Reader

Hey they're only making fun, usually it gets downright abusive when you disagree with someone on he hot topics

Tipping

Dress codes

And for some wired reason $2 notes and $1 coins.