Liquor Packages

Jancruz

HOUSE SELECT

Current Rate: $29.95 USD per guest, per day

Effective December 10, 2012: $34.95 USD per guest, per day

(Gratuity is included)

Wine & Beer

This package includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

PRESTIGE SELECT

Current Rate: $49.95 USD per guest, per day

Effective December 10, 2012: $54.95 USD per guest, per day

(Gratuity Included)

Wine, Beer & Spirits

This UNLIMITED package includes beer, a selection of wines by the glass, most top shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any onboard venue as well as through room service.*

*Room service during regular operating bar hours. All prices are per guest, per day, gratuity included.

In addition, Oceania Cruises guests always enjoy unlimited complimentary soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees, teas and juices on every sailing.

Why the smiley face....no reason to smile with this news, especially since we're sailing in January. The price rise should be applied for those cruises where final payment has not been made.

Has corkage gone up too?

And before I get lectured on how O is a business, O retains the right etc etc etc....the cost of the package is not a determinant of our choice to book a cruise with O. However, after the cruise has been purchased in full, it's seems pretty crummy to learn what was advertised at the time of purchase is no longer valid.

Why the smiley face....no reason to smile with this news, especially since we're sailing in January. The price rise should be applied for those cruises where final payment has not been made.

Has corkage gone up too?

And before I get lectured on how O is a business, O retains the right etc etc etc....the cost of the package is not a determinant of our choice to book a cruise with O. However, after the cruise has been purchased in full, it's seems pretty crummy to learn what was advertised at the time of purchase is no longer valid.

I always put a smiley face..its part of my personality..

Please note the beverage package pricing will be increasing effective December 10, 2012, therefore Oceania is offering you the opportunity to purchase the beverage packages at the current rates and dont shoot the messanger!!

Jancruz1

Not what it says in our cruise documents.....we can purchase the package anytime during our cruise. The cost in our cruise documents state the packages are $29.99 or $49.99.

I'm not doubting your veracity and am not wanting to kill the messenger either, believe me.

Not what it says in our cruise documents.....we can purchase the package anytime during our cruise. The cost in our cruise documents state the packages are $29.99 or $49.99.

I'm not doubting your veracity and am not wanting to kill the messenger either, believe me.

I suggest you call Oceania for clarification..and I appreciate your not wanting to kill me..tho my husband might not be so appreciative..LOL

Jancruz1

I suggest you call Oceania for clarification..and I appreciate your not wanting to kill me..tho my husband might not be so appreciative..LOL

Jancruz1

I have just been advised that I now CANNOT use my OBC for a Dec 10th sailing for this package as we had planned. I can purchase now for the $50 plan and what do I do with the OBC...buy thier OVERPRICED boutique stuff. I am now left with a very sour taste in my mouth. Seriously thinking about not booking anthing else with "O" as it is not honoring what I have booked. All of a sudden this becomes effective DEC 10th, 2012. What about the advertising they have done in the countless brochures they send us. Yeah we get the "we reserve the right to....".. but we bought a cruise with certain amenities, doesn't this count????

I agree with Vaitape & DoJo

not fair

They should have started the new pricing when the last cruises were released

I know it is a small amount but it does add up

Not fair to have to prebook the package if you have OBC you may want to use for things like that

JMO

I have just been advised that I now CANNOT use my OBC for a Dec 10th sailing for this package as we had planned. I can purchase now for the $50 plan and what do I do with the OBC...buy thier OVERPRICED boutique stuff. I am now left with a very sour taste in my mouth. Seriously thinking about not booking anthing else with "O" as it is not honoring what I have booked. All of a sudden this becomes effective DEC 10th, 2012. What about the advertising they have done in the countless brochures they send us. Yeah we get the "we reserve the right to....".. but we bought a cruise with certain amenities, doesn't this count????

I don't know, Deb, the OBC is basically free money anyway.....what does it matter if you wait until you get on the ship to buy the package at $55 if you're not paying with your money?

I agree with Vaitape & DoJo

not fair

They should have started the new pricing when the last cruises were released

I know it is a small amount but it does add up

Not fair to have to prebook the package if you have OBC you may want to use for things like that

JMO

We are on a long cruise and believe me, it does add up. So fine if O wants to raise prices...that's their prerogative. BUT, from a customer service perspective, this stinks!! It says in our Official Documents that the drink packages are available at $29.99 and $49.99.........that's what they should be.

Apply the increase to those cruises that have not met the final payment deadline. Don't do this to people who gave you $$ 4 months before embarkation!

I'm not talking about OBC...ours is only a little amount anyway but really, that isn't the POINT!

Apply the increase to those cruises that have not met the final payment deadline. Don't do this to people who gave you $$ 4 months before embarkation!

I agree

It should start on cruises that have not met the final payment date yet

It is the principal ...

JIM...I CANNNOT use my OBC

Ok yes I can use OBC at $5 more p/p per day..My point is I have purchased a cruise with these amenities (yes "subject to change")..not just purchased but CHANGED a cruise believing these were the amenities I was to receive. Now I "lose" $170 in OBC..do you see what I mean? to purchase a plan I had already planned for.

My point is guys, they are not delivering the product I had expected at the point I had signed up for the new itin. Deb

I don't know, Deb, the OBC is basically free money anyway.....what does it matter if you wait until you get on the ship to buy the package at $55 if you're not paying with your money?

It is not exactly "free money" in every case. If we were going on a cruise where a liquor package had to be purchased, our TA would have covered at least a good part of that package by gifting us with OBC. Now that OBC can't buy the liquor. No wonder these guests are displeased. We would be too - as would our TA. So much for good p.r.

Has corkage gone up too?

Have to agree!

It is not exactly "free money" in every case. If we were going on a cruise where a liquor package had to be purchased, our TA would have covered at least a good part of that package by gifting us with OBC. Now that OBC can't buy the liquor. No wonder these guests are displeased. We would be too - as would our TA. So much for good p.r.

We stand corrected - you can use the OBC to buy the liquor package, but it will cost you more to do it that way. You're still between a rock and a hard place. Buy now and save money, but have OBC that you don't need anymore - or wait and use the OBC at $5.00 more per person per day.

VERY disappointed. We are sailing on Dec 10, which is just 11 days notice! We've been to all the ports, many more than once, and have taken all the excursions we want. We planned this cruise as a way to relax and enjoy ourselves in the middle of Winter. We really couldn't afford it, and booked lesser accommodations to make if less expensive.

In lieu of a nicer stateroom or excursions, we decided to treat ourselves to the premium beverage plan. For us, it was actually a tough decision at $50, because we don't drink all that much. We also have a total of $350 OBC that we were planning to apply to it, as well as wait to the day after the Captain's Cocktail Party to buy the plan

$5 a day may not sound like much, but it blows our carefully considered budget. We now have a hard choice -- pay for it in advance and lose the opportunity to use the onboard credit, or wait until we board and see the effect of the OBC be immediately reduced to $250. That's $100 extra for drinks -- very disappointing.

I would understand if there was more lead time -- after charging the old amount for around year, I doubt Oceania would take a huge hit by making the effective date 90 days after the announcement.

This, just 11 days from the beginning of our cruise, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Not what aI expect from Oceania.

Frank, I love you guy, but 11 days notice?

VERY disappointed. We are sailing on Dec 10, which is just 11 days notice! We've been to all the ports, many more than once, and have taken all the excursions we want. We planned this cruise as a way to relax and enjoy ourselves in the middle of Winter. We really couldn't afford it, and booked lesser accommodations to make if less expensive.

In lieu of a nicer stateroom or excursions, we decided to treat ourselves to the premium beverage plan. For us, it was actually a tough decision at $50, because we don't drink all that much. We also have a total of $350 OBC that we were planning to apply to it, as well as wait to the day after the Captain's Cocktail Party to buy the plan

$5 a day may not sound like much, but it blows our carefully considered budget. We now have a hard choice -- pay for it in advance and lose the opportunity to use the onboard credit, or wait until we board and see the effect of the OBC be immediately reduced to $250. That's $100 extra for drinks -- very disappointing.

I would understand if there was more lead time -- after charging the old amount for around year, I doubt Oceania would take a huge hit by making the effective date 90 days after the announcement.

This, just 11 days from the beginning of our cruise, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Not what aI expect from Oceania.

Frank, I love you guy, but 11 days notice?

Don, You could feed the house bar slot machine till it rings $350 debit and then drink in your cabin with sea view, CD, and good company. :)

In looking at the comments, I'm somewhat surprised ... and then not.

For the record, we weren't considering a drink package anyway so adding $5/day doesn't much matter to us. DH doesn't drink (his idea of a cocktail is orange juice, no ice, although he does have an occasional glass of wine). I do like a cocktail, but I'm happy to bring on a bottle (which usually I don't get around to doing) and drinking it in our cabin. If we're in a suite elite enough to give us the bar set-up, then I'm happy. OTOH, usually we aren't.

I guess what surprised me was that people willing to spend $50/day would be unhappy at another $5. We just don't drink enough to make the cost justifiable even on a TA ... I tend to drink more at home than I ever do on a ship. Just cheap, I guess. And if O lets me bring a bottle on ...

Still, I can understand that $5/day adds up on a cruise ... especially if it means $10/day for both people. That's not insignificant.

And in conclusion, I DO agree with the complaints about the last minute notice. I think that was a bad decision on O's part. Maybe they will realize there should have been a longer lead time and adjust the policy.

It does seem to me rather greedy on their part ... They only started the policy recently so I find it somewhat disturbing that they would increase the price so soon.

Viking does charge more, if that's any consolation to you guys who are unhappy about this change!

Since our next booked cruise departs from Barcelona next November, I'll make sure to bring more alcohol on board...

Mura

Don, You could feed the house bar slot machine till it rings $350 debit and then drink in your cabin with sea view, CD, and good company. :)

spook1, Am sure you are being light-hearted and good-spirited, thank you but we aren't feeling so light-hearted here...

We were quoted rates of $29.99 and $49.99 for the liquor packages when we booked 12 months ago, when we paid in full 19 September, and when we received our final documents a week ago. Now, unless we pay in advance with only 12 days notice, we'll pay almost $700 more on board.

spook1, Am sure you are being light-hearted and good-spirited, thank you but we aren't feeling so light-hearted here...

We were quoted rates of $29.99 and $49.99 for the liquor packages when we booked 12 months ago, when we paid in full 19 September, and when we received our final documents a week ago. Now, unless we pay in advance with only 12 days notice, we'll pay almost $700 more on board.

Don, I was being just that. I have followed your comments since May and you have been in the vanguard of those praising Oceania. So I do realize how wrongly done you feel on this "out of left field" price increase.

May I suggest this posting of new rates by an Oceania "insider" is a trail balloon, sort of what you'd expect out of Washington D.C, to test the blowback?

Wouldn't shock me if the OBC liquor fairy placed a few dimes beneath your pillow.

Good luck and have a great voyage.:)

I am puzzled here ... when I saw the first notice about the increase I assumed that this applied to NEW purchases. I also assumed that people who have already paid for their packages won't have to pay more.

Am I wrong?

It would seem most unusual to charge people extra when they have already paid and a new fee schedule goes into place later.

Now, if O is really saying that "you paid $49.95/day back when you ordered the package but since you are sailing after December whatever-it-is, we're going to charge you another $5/day", well, I would cut my nose off my face and say cancel the whole thing.

Of course, that's easy for me who wouldn't consider the package to begin with ...

But is it really true that people who have already paid are now going to have to pay a surcharge? I find that hard to believe!

It has seemed to me in the past that when a new price policy goes into effect, it is for NEW payments, not for those who have already paid.

Mura

Don, I was being just that. I have followed your comments since May and you have been in the vanguard of those praising Oceania. So I do realize how wrongly done you feel on this "out of left field" price increase.

May I suggest this posting of new rates by an Oceania "insider" is a trail balloon, sort of what you'd expect out of Washington D.C, to test the blowback?

Wouldn't shock me if the OBC liquor fairy placed a few dimes beneath your pillow.

Good luck and have a great voyage.:)

You couldnt be more wrong!! I also am very upset and I doubt if O will place dimes under anyones pillow..

Jancruz1

I am puzzled here ... when I saw the first notice about the increase I assumed that this applied to NEW purchases. I also assumed that people who have already paid for their packages won't have to pay more.

Am I wrong?

Mura

The way I read it if you have already bought the package you are fine

If you have not pre paid for the package you can do so up until Dec10th for your upcoming cruise

If you board after Dec 10th & buy the package onboard you pay the NEW price

I know $5 is not much in the grand scheme of things but I think it is just the principal of the thing that people are ticked about

At least they could have waited to up the price for cruise that have not paid the final payment

i do not think anyone would go so far as to cancel their cruise based on the new charge for the drink packages but it was just the short notice of it all

Anyway that is just my take on it...it does not affect us as we would not buy the package

But you just wonder what will be next :confused:

Lyn

Archived