Liquor Packages

Jancruz

No, of course that money is not lost.

If a cruise is cancelled, any ancillary charges that were paid such as (but not limited to) transfers, shorex, La Reserve, beverage package, Privée, are refunded automatically because everything is linked through your Booking Number.

Except for your air deviation..that is non refundable

Jancruz1

This is becoming a systemic issue with PCH on Regent as well with unjustified hidden increases and decreases in service. Also the continual receipt of brochures for cruises that are just around the corner indicating that occupancy isn't as good as some think.

There are rumors of PCH being sold or an IPO and seems like increases in prices to make the bottom line look better appear to be occurring. Of course PCH needs to make a profit and price increases do occur in all business but, the hiding of the increases is what irks people. Rather than raising the fares which is obvious, PCH has chosen to "hide" the increases in deviations, concierage reductions, liquor packages, and other areas that are not obvious to the customers. In addition, the increases in cost occur without notice to the paying customer and in this latest case, is retroactive to people who have budgeted a certain amount, made final payment and are now looking at what some consider price increases with a 10 day notice to people who view CC and probably many people will board thinking they can afford the drink package and be surprised with the increase without notice.

Yes price increases are inevitable but, hiding them, not notifying affected people, not publishing them on the O site and applying them to people way past final payment is simply WRONG!!! Almost forgot about the obscene transfer and tour costs. Absolutely unbelievable especially Barcelona where in March we traveled from our hotel which was further than the port to the airport for about $50 for two compared to what $350 or more?? Profits are fine. Obscene profits are absurd and show a lack of concern for customers.

Really think PCH is going to lose more by losing customers than they will by these consistent and hidden price increases.

"In addition, the increases in cost occur without notice to the paying customer and in this latest case, is retroactive to people who have budgeted a certain amount, made final payment and are now looking at what some consider price increases with a 10 day notice to people who view CC and probably many people will board thinking they can afford the drink package and be surprised with the increase without notice."

EXACTLY....

Glad we read CC to keep up on things and have a travel agent who keeps us informed.

The O website does not reflect the packages increase, neither does our Cruise Vacation Guide which arrived last week before the announcement of the increase (thought this was our Final Documents but found out it is only a brochure which basically promotes O's outrageously priced excursions, etc, and a method for providing our luggage tags and time and location information for embarkation....and BTW, misinforming us of the cost of O's liquor packages).

Instead of purchasing the package, we will do as we have in the past: enjoy pre-dinner drinks on our veranda from our carry-on bar, pay the corkage fee at dinner, and when desired, we will have a nightcap in our room, again from our carry-on bar.

Fingers are crossed O won't change its policy on bringing liquor and wine on board between now and 5 January....that would really ice the cake!

We purchased the House Select Package at $29.95 pp on the 3rd day of our recent Riviera crossing. It covered an ample selection of champagne, sparkling wines, red/white/blush wines, port and beer. We got into the habit of champagne at lunch ($20/glass) and either champagne or red/white wine ($10-$12/glass) with dinner. It wasn't hard to break-even! I think that the new pricing of $34.95 pp is still a great deal, especially given the retail prices of wine by the bottle and/or by the glass. Purchasing retail has an additional 18% gratuity, which is included in the package pricing.

No, of course that money is not lost.

If a cruise is cancelled, any ancillary charges that were paid such as (but not limited to) transfers, shorex, La Reserve, beverage package, Privée, are refunded automatically because everything is linked through your Booking Number.

True that all is not lost, but some can be. In this case the poster you responded to might be able to avoid these losses (I am assuming from their posted residency)

On several of my cruises on O, pax not from the USA made up perhaps 40% the pax on board. The area and time of year makes a difference in the mix. Unless those folks use a US credit card funded from US funds, a refund does incur a loss.

For example CAD/US $ there is a buy/sell spread of ~ 5% . This is not the exchange rate but the difference in exchange rate if buying or selling. Other currencies have a different spread. I am also ignoring any of those sneaky foreign transaction fees some CC charge (Would you a recent promotion for a new Visa 'Travel' card from one bank that, ironically for 'travel', incurs foreign transaction fees.)

So cancelling a cruise with a number of prepaid can cost. And while it is not a lot compared with the cost of the cruise it is totally wasted money having received nothing for it. Drinks package for two, excursions packages, an evening a La Reserve, a couple of Culinary Classes, transfers, cruise deposit, it could be $4000 * 5% = $200 down the drain.

Plus the $250 deviation fee of course but I consider that as a purchased service fee and know that it is 'gone' once I agree to pay.

Unlike others who book several cruises when they first are released to ensure they get a cabin and not wait listed and then decide later what to cancel, we never book a cruise we do not intend to take. When I did have to cancel some charges once I had O transfer the credit to another sailing I had booked so avoided the loss. Just have to keep one cruise ahead.

I called to buy the liquor package and found that they charge you for the day you leave the ship also. Surely that is wrong. We are on an 18 day cruise and they charge you for 18 days, but that last day you leave at 8 a.m. Hard to drink up $50 before 8 a.m.!!! Tell me how to get around this, please.

I think your wrong about charging you on the last day of the cruise--in fact I'm sure your wrong. We buy the package, I think it's a great deal for us. However let's keep in mind "O" doesn't make you purchase anything, it's really up to you if you buy or not. I wouldn't put the blame "O", they can charge what they think is the going price---it's up to you to say yes or no. I want "O" to keep the service and the extra's as good as they can, so they need to make a profit. On the other hand, some things I don't buy if I think they are higher then they should be, but that's my choice.

Rick

I called to buy the liquor package and found that they charge you for the day you leave the ship also. Surely that is wrong. We are on an 18 day cruise and they charge you for 18 days, but that last day you leave at 8 a.m. Hard to drink up $50 before 8 a.m.!!! Tell me how to get around this, please.

I think they count embarkation day not debarkation day.....so you have all afternoon & evening to get your monies worth ;)

On an 18 day cruise you actually disembark on the morning of the 19th day.

On an 18 day cruise you actually disembark on the morning of the 19th day.

Yes Don, the number of days is a misnomer in describing cruise lengths. Better to say number of nites. Some cruise lines advertise 8 day cruises every week which is really impossible as they are in fact 7 nite cruises. Also cruise line frequent cruiser programs that measure by number of nites also use the nites to define the length of your cruise.

You are always on the ship parts of 1 day more than the number of nites.

I was told by Oceania that champagne was not included in the $29.95 package. Is that not true?
There is a French champagne included in the House Select Package. Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut, which Oceania usually sells at $20/glass + 18% gratuity. Very drinkable and a lovely choice at lunch. That alone made the package worth it for us!

Called today, 12/8/12 and was able to lock in the old rate of $49.95 PP/PD, for the Riveria 2/2/13 sailing. I called 1-800-531-5619 and selected option #2. It is my understanding that the present rate is good till 12/10.

Did you have to purchase the package for the entire cruise? Do you have to pay for it now?

Did you have to purchase the package for the entire cruise? Do you have to pay for it now?

If you buy it in advance, you'll pay for the entire cruise, your credit card will be charged now, and you can't apply any On Board Credit.

If you buy it on board, it will be charged to your onboard account and you'll pay for it when you pay your credit card bill after the cruise. You'll be able to apply any OBC. You can buy it any day after the start of your cruise, but once you buy it, it has to be for all the remaining days of the cruise.

We rang Oceania yesterday, 7th Dec, & purchased the beverage package at the original rate for our cruise in Feb 2013.

Checked on Oceania website today, 8th Dec, & beverage package showing at increased rate.

We think this is because Oceania UK offices are closed over the weekend.

If you buy it in advance, you'll pay for the entire cruise, your credit card will be charged now, and you can't apply any On Board Credit.

If you buy it on board, it will be charged to your onboard account and you'll pay for it when you pay your credit card bill after the cruise. You'll be able to apply any OBC. You can buy it any day after the start of your cruise, but once you buy it, it has to be for all the remaining days of the cruise.

Thanks for the info. Will do a la carte then most certainly.

Greencay,

I didn't see anything in your post that needed an apology. Those who like the program "promote" it by advocating. Those of us who aren't interested ... don't!

You are free to voice your opinion or convey knowledge, of course!

If my husband were a drinker, we might go for the program -- but not for the entire cruise. And I don't drink enough to make it worth MY while. On our next two (already booked) cruises we will be in a cabin category that has the liquor set-up so there really is no need for US to buy the package.

If we were on a TA in a cabin that doesn't have the liquor set-up in the cabin (which is usually the case), I might indeed buy the package if I could do so by myself alone (because there's no way my husband would use it), and I probably would wait a few days to do so.

I hedge my bets about whether one of us can buy the package and the other NOT because the rules as originally promulgated appeared to say that both people needed to buy it, but posts seem to have indicated that O lets one take it and not the other ... I just want to be sure when I'm on board that such is the case!

Mura

So we just don't go for it, but that doesn't mean

• 4 weeks later...
I just noticed that Oceania Club levels Silver and above (10 + cruises)will receive the new benefit of a 10% discount on all beverage packages. This should help at least some people stomach the increase.

That is a costly "saving". Ten O cruises buys the vineyard.:D

Archived