Liquor Packages

Jancruz

But Lyn, if Jan is upset ...

I guess everyone else might be as well! She certainly knows more than the rest of us do.

I'm with you, we don't buy the package anyway ... but that doesn't mean we can't sympathize with people who do and who feel shafted at the new policy.

I hope to be corrected in the near future.

Mura

spook1, wasn't me who questioned whether you were being lighthearted -- I figured that, and smiled when I read it.

Mura, anyone who pays ahead all the way up to Dec 9 will get the old price. The new price starts Dec 10, and we sail Dec 10. The problems is that were expecting to offset a part of the purchase with OBC. If we pre-order, we have to pay the entire amount with no OBCoffset. If we wait to board, in order to use the OBC, we automatically lose $100 in OBC ($5/day x 2 people = $10/day x 10 day cruise).

The other factor is that we aren't big drinkers, either. Drinking up $50 per day is right on the border of what is price effective. The extra $5 each is a deal breaker.

Oh, well, we were looking forward to having a little fun, making it more like a Regent cruise, not having to think about the cost, and not having to sign chits. Now, we'll go back to our nornal practice of buying an occasional drink. We're the kind of thrifty folks who just don't spend the money when we have to think about each purchase. We'll now end up spending far less than $50 per day (and drinking more free soda ;)), which will be Oceania's loss.

You couldnt be more wrong!! I also am very upset and I doubt if O will place dimes under anyones pillow..

Jancruz1

Upset or not what you posted this am is letter and word for word what O emailed travel agents, at least those with group bookings. No...I don't disagree with the posting, (you seem to know the Boss) but..something is not right at the DMZ.

Add a Smily Face to Don's pillow along with a roll of dimes.:):):):)

Upset or not what you posted this am is letter and word for word what O emailed travel agents, at least those with group bookings. No...I don't disagree with the posting, (you seem to know the Boss) but..something is not right at the DMZ.

Add a Smily Face to Don's pillow along with a roll of dimes.:):):):)

My TA emailed me the same notice as we have a cruise in 2013

The tooth fairy use to leave dimes under my pillow is she/he on Oceania :eek:

My TA emailed me the same notice as we have a cruise in 2013

The tooth fairy use to leave dimes under my pillow is she/he on Oceania :eek:

Hope so but inflation has clipped her wings and budget. It is said she even pays extra for the dime baggage she transports around the globe.

Make it a good Day!:)

We are booked on a cruise in Feb 2013, have fully paid and have not had any notification of this change.

We can't find any reference to the change on the Oceania website, even if logged into our account.

We are now wondering what else is changing that we don't know about? If the cost of the beverage package is being increased by 10% is the base cost of all alcohol being increased, regardless of whether purchased via the beverage package?

Thanks for the confirmations that my assumption was correct -- that if you've already paid for the package you are okay. I couldn't believe that O would raise the price after the fact for someone who has already paid for it.

I CAN believe they would raise the price after a relatively short time because if it's generating income, why not get more! If the package weren't selling well, the price might have gone in the opposite direction ...

Nah, probably not.

Mura

We are booked on a cruise in Feb 2013, have fully paid and have not had any notification of this change.

We can't find any reference to the change on the Oceania website, even if logged into our account.

I would contact your TA if you used one & see if they got the memo

I would contact your TA if you used one & see if they got the memo

Contacted my EXCELLLENT T/A...she tried to no avail to get me the package on my OBC (or have my OBC adjusted to reflect the increase). I am so disenchanted with "O" at this point and will not recommend them anymore to my friends as I feel they have reneged on my agreement (no...don't do the "we reserve the right" thing with me). I thought I had a real good thing with this company...they failed us.:mad:

I noticed a pattern of increasing prices after the initiation of a new program by Oceania. For example, La Reserve was was $75 pp the first year on Riviera. The next year it was $95 pp. That's a 25% increase. The drink package increased 10% shortly after it was introduced. We drink the house wine (which is fine) and it has gone up a $1 a glass for the last three years plus the 18%.

For some this makes no difference. For others, they will just not repeat the experience in La Reserve or forgo the drink package depending on the value to the cruiser.

I totally agree that the drink increase should not occur for those who have made final payment.

I noticed a pattern of increasing prices after the initiation of a new program by Oceania. For example, La Reserve was was $75 pp the first year on Riviera.

My error. La Reserve was introduced the first year on Marina. We went to the dinner on the Riviera the next year.

Since there will be a package price increase, does anyone know if the prices of wine will also increase?:confused:

Supposedly bar prices will remain the same as well as gratuities...for now. However, in the next 60 seconds, that may change because after all, we're talking about Oceania.

Air deviation fee up from $75 just a couple of years ago (67% increase), air credits reduced, airport transfer gone from overpriced to ridiculous ( July 2012 BCN to ship $240 for two-no one can rationalize that I am sure), $1000 all inclusive excursion package for $750 maximum in tours. They have two new ships, some bonuses and promotions to pay for.

From reading some posts on the drinks package and the cheering about the quality of the champagne that is included and expensive after dinner liquors I am not surprised O has raised the price. Might not have to do with the cost (do they buy duty-free ?) as much as what the market will bear. If this was a on a 'party cruise' the price would be reasonable. However with so many of O's port intensive itineraries and some long excursion days for a lot a of pax $55 each in an evening every day is a lot. From some of the posts here I think the straw and camel's back have met.

Like hondoner I was planning on purchasing the package so as to enjoy the experience of not even thinking of a bill to sign (or a bill to pay). Was a bit of a hard sell to DW though. We usually purchase wine packages and several bottles from the 'bazaars' and a have cocktail before dinner on our balcony. We enjoy selecting some new to us wines in our price range. However with the drinks package we would skip that. Our combined cost would not normally be $100 per day every day. Now that the package is $110 and pay in advance and for the full cruise there will be some re-thinking.

I am disappointed as this was a consideration when we booked the cruise that we would include the drink package after the first couple of days.

Now that the package is $110 and pay in advance and for the full cruise there will be some re-thinking.

Did it say you had to pre pay for the whole cruise at the new prices?

I thought it was just if you wanted to purchase it at the current rates before Dec 9th

I did not read it that way

Lyn

I think the days of ships buying duty free alcohol are long gone but I could be wrong ;)

spook1, wasn't me who questioned whether you were being lighthearted -- I figured that, and smiled when I read it.

Mura, anyone who pays ahead all the way up to Dec 9 will get the old price. The new price starts Dec 10, and we sail Dec 10. The problems is that were expecting to offset a part of the purchase with OBC. If we pre-order, we have to pay the entire amount with no OBCoffset. If we wait to board, in order to use the OBC, we automatically lose $100 in OBC ($5/day x 2 people = $10/day x 10 day cruise).

The other factor is that we aren't big drinkers, either. Drinking up $50 per day is right on the border of what is price effective. The extra $5 each is a deal breaker.

Oh, well, we were looking forward to having a little fun, making it more like a Regent cruise, not having to think about the cost, and not having to sign chits. Now, we'll go back to our nornal practice of buying an occasional drink. We're the kind of thrifty folks who just don't spend the money when we have to think about each purchase. We'll now end up spending far less than $50 per day (and drinking more free soda ;)), which will be Oceania's loss.

You could offset it a little by buying one now and buying the other using your OBC after the party.

Did it say you had to pre pay for the whole cruise at the new prices?

I thought it was just if you wanted to purchase it at the current rates before Dec 9th

I did not read it that way

Lyn

I think the days of ships buying duty free alcohol are long gone but I could be wrong ;)

Don't know about the duty free but Princess sells it onboard as a carry off at darn good price better than what you see in airpors. I was told years ago Seabourn kept track of what was poured in US ports and paid that tax.

I expect duty free is used at sea on all lines. Why not?

As far as the $55 package...well...to me it would need to be half that for my consideration. With a little homework we could take a seven day Princess Alaska or Mexico with balcony for what our 18 day voyage drink package would cost. But others see it as a bargin. Wife doesn't really drink and I have never seen a bottle of wine I couldn't leave corked.

To each his own. :)

As far as the $55 package...well...to me it would need to be half that for my consideration. With a little homework we could take a seven day Princess Alaska or Mexico with balcony for what our 18 day voyage drink package would cost. But others see it as a bargin. Wife doesn't really drink and I have never seen a bottle of wine I couldn't leave corked.

To each his own. :)

You are not required to purchase the packages it is an option

We do not drink much so we will use the "pay as you go" method

My SIL would get her money's worth & then some :D

Lyn

VERY disappointed. We are sailing on Dec 10, which is just 11 days notice! We've been to all the ports, many more than once, and have taken all the excursions we want. We planned this cruise as a way to relax and enjoy ourselves in the middle of Winter. We really couldn't afford it, and booked lesser accommodations to make if less expensive.

In lieu of a nicer stateroom or excursions, we decided to treat ourselves to the premium beverage plan. For us, it was actually a tough decision at $50, because we don't drink all that much. We also have a total of $350 OBC that we were planning to apply to it, as well as wait to the day after the Captain's Cocktail Party to buy the plan

$5 a day may not sound like much, but it blows our carefully considered budget. We now have a hard choice -- pay for it in advance and lose the opportunity to use the onboard credit, or wait until we board and see the effect of the OBC be immediately reduced to $250. That's $100 extra for drinks -- very disappointing.

I would understand if there was more lead time -- after charging the old amount for around year, I doubt Oceania would take a huge hit by making the effective date 90 days after the announcement.

This, just 11 days from the beginning of our cruise, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Not what aI expect from Oceania.

Frank, I love you guy, but 11 days notice?

Interesting.Our first O cruise is in January. O is still cheaper than Seabourn in the Caribbean--assuming a suite on O, with the "regular" cabin suite on Seabourn. But add enough extras such as $100 per cabin for 2 persons for the liquor package-- and the O advantage narrows appreciably. Then add gratuities--okay, your TA probably takes care of that--but it is a cost to be considered, if not paid by you.

No, for anyone sailing after December 10..you can prepay until December 10, at the current rate.

Jancruz1

Hmm, so I could go ahead and order the liquor package today, for our cruise a year from now. And save, uh, $140 (14x5x2).

I'll have to have a drink and think about that! Trouble is, what if I cancel the cruise? That money is down the proverbial toilet. :o

A pox on this kind of increase!

Trouble is, what if I cancel the cruise? That money is down the proverbial toilet

No, of course that money is not lost.

If a cruise is cancelled, any ancillary charges that were paid such as (but not limited to) transfers, shorex, La Reserve, beverage package, Privée, are refunded automatically because everything is linked through your Booking Number.

Archived