Specialty Restaurants - Dress code (particularly on Formal nights)

Tom-n-Cheryl

I seem to recall that the specialty restaurants don't follow the same dress code as the MDR. Yet I was given a jacket to place on the back of my chair on our Millennium sailing earlier this year. The Maitre d' claimed that I was mistaken when I arrived there in non-formal attire and questioned the need for a jacket.

On our sailing (three weeks from today) on the Constellation we have 3 nights booked in specialty restaurants, and I just want to know before we sail!

Tom

Only the MDR is formal on formal nights. Specialty restaurants are smart casual. However, you may see formal wear worn in them, but it's not "required."

We like to eat in specialty restaurants on formal nights and usually do. We never wear formal per-se but we wear our dressiest stuff on those nights. My husband might wear a jacket or even a suit/sportcoat, but you'll see just about everything.

I think your maitre d' was misinformed.

Although it is have been claimed since 2009 on these boards that speciality restaurants are smart casual every evening, as of December last year [our last cruise], the reminder card you receive on the morning of your reservation still stated that the ship's dress code applied.

We usually eat in the speciality restaurants every evening and the ONLY evening we have seen a gentleman not wearing a jacket was the first evening on one cruise when, judging by the shorts one table was wearing, their luggage had not been devlivered to their suite in time. [it was an M-class ship when a complimentary speciality restaurant dinner on the first evening for suite guests was offered.]

I know that others will argue with me but, from our experience, whatever the dress code, you are likely to look out of place dressed too casually in the speciality restaurants - especially Murano and equivalents, perhpas not so much in Qsine. On formal nights you will not look out of place dressed formally. We always do. On other evenings my husband wears a suit and I wear a cocktail dress and, again, never feel out of place.

Sue

Although it is have been claimed since 2009 on these boards that speciality restaurants are smart casual every evening, as of December last year [our last cruise], the reminder card you receive on the morning of your reservation still stated that the ship's dress code applied.

We usually eat in the speciality restaurants every evening and the ONLY evening we have seen a gentleman not wearing a jacket was the first evening on one cruise when, judging by the shorts one table was wearing, their luggage had not been devlivered to their suite in time. [it was an M-class ship when a complimentary speciality restaurant dinner on the first evening for suite guests was offered.]

I know that others will argue with me but, from our experience, whatever the dress code, you are likely to look out of place dressed too casually in the speciality restaurants - especially Murano and equivalents, perhpas not so much in Qsine. On formal nights you will not look out of place dressed formally. We always do. On other evenings my husband wears a suit and I wear a cocktail dress and, again, never feel out of place.

Sue

I agree, I don't know why it is reported that the dress code doesn't apply, we recieve the exact item you mentioned on dress code. I guess it is true they won't deny you access if you show up in smart casual.

Celebrity apparently hasn't removed those items from the staterooms since they are absolutely wrong. The dress code in all specialty restaurants is smart casual every night and this includes Blu. I wish Celebrity would straighten their act out, they still have the three dress codes listed on the UK website, these were changed five years ago. Here is the web site, it could not be any clearer and hundreds of cruisers have come back and confirmed this on board.

I ate in Murano on Summit in Sept and wore nice pants and a shirt on formal night. Most people did the same thing. Our dailes cofnirmed smart casual.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass® guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&faqSubjectId=55

We did not bring formal attire on our Equinox sailing in October & ate in a specialty restaurant on the formal nights wearing smart casual attire & never felt out of place. I would say that more than half the diners wore smart casual. Nothing was said to us about wearing a jacket, or offering one to put on the back of your chair, which seems to me to be an absolutely ridiculous idea. I did not notice the reminder on the reminder card sent to your room, but perhaps I just missed it.

On our particular sailing they must have been looking to fill the specialty venues because there were specials every day, trying to entice people to the restaurants, so maybe that's why nothing was said..

Celebrity apparently hasn't removed those items from the staterooms since they are absolutely wrong. The dress code in all specialty restaurants is smart casual every night and this includes Blu. I wish Celebrity would straighten their act out, they still have the three dress codes listed on the UK website, these were changed five years ago. Here is the web site, it could not be any clearer and hundreds of cruisers have come back and confirmed this on board.

I ate in Murano on Summit in Sept and wore nice pants and a shirt on formal night. Most people did the same thing. Our dailes cofnirmed smart casual.

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty dining restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass® guests, is "Smart Casual and Above" for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&faqSubjectId=55

Thanks for the link. I think I'll print it for this trip, LOL !!

... Nothing was said to us about wearing a jacket, or offering one to put on the back of your chair, which seems to me to be an absolutely ridiculous idea. ...

Cheryl reminded me of the incident on the Millennium just the other day. Then I recalled the feeling I had upon arriving at the restaurant that evening (we ate there every night) and being told basically that I did not know what I was talking about!

Tom

Cheryl reminded me of the incident on the Millennium just the other day. Then I recalled the feeling I had upon arriving at the restaurant that evening (we ate there every night) and being told basically that I did not know what I was talking about!

Tom

It certainly doesn't say much for Celebrity's training procedures when it seems that we here on Cruise Critic know more about their policies than their ship board people!:D

It certainly doesn't say much for Celebrity's training procedures when it seems that we here on Cruise Critic know more about their policies than their ship board people!:D

You are so right, there were a couple of people who went into Blu, showed them the policy in writing and whoever was at the door still didn't believe them. They reported it on this board. I still laugh though at the UK web site still having the defunct five years ago dress code.

You are so right, there were a couple of people who went into Blu, showed them the policy in writing and whoever was at the door still didn't believe them. They reported it on this board. I still laugh though at the UK web site still having the defunct five years ago dress code.

LOL -- and to think that I used to feel that Carnival was the only one out there with poor information systems and staff procedural training!

I can honestly now say that I've witnessed it on every line we've sailed. I suppose they all suffer from the same illness. ;)

Tom

LOL -- and to think that I used to feel that Carnival was the only one out there with poor information systems and staff procedural training!

I can honestly now say that I've witnessed it on every line we've sailed. I suppose they all suffer from the same illness. ;)

Tom

It is funny to a point but the problem arises for those people who decide legitimatly not to bring formal clothes based upon the web site. Once you are on board, you should not be expected to buy the formal clothes because someone arbitraily changes the rules on board. Remember the rules also say "smart casual and above" which gives those who wish to dress formally their own choices.

Reading these dress code threads is like having to look at a car crash, I just can't help myself but I hate it! We're on the Reflection in exactly a week and we are NOT taking formal wear. I have specialty restaurants booked for both formal nights and will be FURIOUS if they tell us we're not dressed appropriately in smart casual.

I've never sailed with Celebrity (only NCL really) and these threads make me very nervous about it.

It is funny to a point but the problem arises for those people who decide legitimatly not to bring formal clothes based upon the web site. Once you are on board, you should not be expected to buy the formal clothes because someone arbitraily changes the rules on board. Remember the rules also say "smart casual and above" which gives those who wish to dress formally their own choices.

"Here, here !!" we shall be wearing formal if we dine in one of the speciality venues on formal night, not bothered what anyone else is doing. I am there for myself and my wonderfull hubby of thirty years.For his eyes only ! everyone else around us is a blur

"Here, here !!" we shall be wearing formal if we dine in one of the speciality venues on formal night, not bothered what anyone else is doing. I am there for myself and my wonderfull hubby of thirty years.For his eyes only ! everyone else around us is a blur

Then someone is driving too fast! :D ;)

Tom

Yes the ship's dress code applies, and as most are aware, the ship's dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual and above.

Reading these dress code threads is like having to look at a car crash, I just can't help myself but I hate it! We're on the Reflection in exactly a week and we are NOT taking formal wear. I have specialty restaurants booked for both formal nights and will be FURIOUS if they tell us we're not dressed appropriately in smart casual.

I've never sailed with Celebrity (only NCL really) and these threads make me very nervous about it.

Please don't be nervous because there is nothing to be nervous or furious about.

In all likelihood nobody is going to say anything at all about the way you are dressed, unless it is to admire an item of clothing or piece of jewelry that you or your companion is wearing.

Whenever we have had dinner in a specialty restaurant or in Blu on formal nights, there were always people eating there who were not dressed formally, (some more smart and some more casual than others).

In the very remote and unlikely event that an uninformed employee at the entrance to the specialty restaurant tries to refuse you entry for not being dressed formally, all you need do is politely ask to see the hotel director.

Simply state that you will be very happy to change (or put on a jacket) if the hotel director says it is necessary.

That should put an immediate end to it.

Even so, were I ever to encounter such an incident, I would get the person's name and report it to the hotel director the next day.

I have specialty dining booked for both formal nights on the Reflection. We plan to dress casual in those venues as that is what is listed on Celebrity's site. I too will not like it if they try to tell me otherwise.

smart cas i hope !! xx

Archived