Whose time do we use?

Ships alter their time to the time zone they are cruising in. Therefore it will be the same as the port they are visiting.

Except if you were on the VOS 5th November cruise ...we did the usual one hour time adjustments after leaving Perth until the day before our arrival into Adelaide when we added another hour when in fact it should have been half an hour........:confused::confused: we were told to stay on ships time whilst in port.... :eek::eek: now that could cause confusion.....

So when shows times etc are advertised on board what time do they use? Or does it keep changing?

Ships time only approximates local time. Mostly, it exactly equals local time - especially when in ports, but in the vast oceans, sometimes it is not exact. AS you travel East or West, the ship announces when the time onboard has to be changed.

Time zones should, in theory, look like segments of a mandarin (fruit) - each segment being identical. However, if you see a map of the Worlds time zones, it is not so in practice http://www.worldtimezone.com/

But, if dinner is at , say, 6PM, then it is always at 6PM regardless of what the time zone is.

Barry

So when shows times etc are advertised on board what time do they use? Or does it keep changing?

They follow the ship's time which, as said above, changes to usually match the current time zone you're in.

That said, the main show times will normally be the same times each day, to fit in with the main dining times which are also at a fixed time onboard.

DON'T CONFUSE THE POOR POSTER ANY MORE THAN THEY SEEM TO BE.

(OOPS SORRY CAPS)

Time is the time where ever you are at that time. :rolleyes:

No need to worry as the ship will keep local time just adjust as they recommend. check their clocks around the ship or on the info on the TV

You'll be right! Enjoy your time on board.

B&B :D

We were on the Carnival Spirit's inaugural cruise from Sydney on the 20th October going to Noumea, Mare etc.

Surprisingly the ship tayed on Sydney Daylight Saving time for the entire cruise.

We have never had this happen before.

Sorry to disagree but depending on the cruise, that is not true. We were on the Zaandam at Christmas and when were were in Darwin the ship time was 1/2 an hour different to local time. I think it was behind, and it did cause problems for some passengers.

Maybe they made a mistake and didn't realise what the local time was in the NT.:D

In our 45 cruises, I haven't ever seen the ship's time different from local time in the port, but I am not saying it never happens.

We were on the Carnival Spirit's inaugural cruise from Sydney on the 20th October going to Noumea, Mare etc.

Surprisingly the ship tayed on Sydney Daylight Saving time for the entire cruise.

when you do the cruise to the South Pacific during NSW daylight saving time they dont change the time because they are one hour ahead of Sydney....... when you go to Fiji it gets changed

As Bob said, they didn't change the time on board the ship, because the ports of call were on the same time as Sydney on Daylight Saving Time. The important point is that ship's time was the same as local time.

In our 45 cruises, I haven't ever seen the ship's time different from local time in the port, but I am not saying it never happens.

First time in 20 cruises for us...... so with Jane's and ours that makes 2 times that we have heard of...

What kind of imbeciles are running these ships that they consider it not important to move to local time of the ports that they are in. Do these ships really think that they are catering to a demographic of inferior intelligence that the poor darlings would not be able to change their own clocks!!!

All I can say is that it has never happened on a P&O World Cruise and I am glad for that. I think it is important that cruise ships stick to local time as we can clearly see it has already confused the poor folks who started this thread. Passengers will not know what time to be back and when they get off the ship and tell the cab driver they need to be back at a certain time then heaven help them!

What those cruise ships are doing would be like a group of companies operating in Sydney to all of a sudden not recognise daylight saving time and operate on regular time. It confuses people.

I think situations like this people need to pester the reception and ships staff to the point where they cave in and start operating things properly.

when you do the cruise to the South Pacific during NSW daylight saving time they dont change the time because they are one hour ahead of Sydney....... when you go to Fiji it gets changed

and then there is the dateline...

The ships did not like going to Samoa as they had to set everything back a whole day. Hopefully that will change now that Samoa have moved the line and are on our side of the line now.:D.

Lol.... this thread is hilarous.

Good question to put on here 'Dronfield'....:)

When we were on the Voyager from New Orleans to Singapore we changed the time so often in the end we didn't care what the time was and only checked it on the TV in the cabin and the clock at the gangway when we disembarked in a port.

Even our mobile phones were confused.... :rolleyes:

Jill:D

When I did my Western Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas they stayed on ships time. A couple of ports were an hour's time difference. Obviously RCL think Americans are of inferior intelligence :D

OR (we better hope no Americans watch this) cruise lines must think that Americans are too good to even bother changing the time in these 3rd world banana republic islands that they think they own!!! Kind of how like they think they can use their US dollar in every country they set foot in, OR travel without a passport like they used to do to the islands. Sounds like another American superiority attitude lol.....lets not change the time, the world revolves around us!:D

OR (we better hope no Americans watch this) cruise lines must think that Americans are too good to even bother changing the time in these 3rd world banana republic islands that they think they own!!! Kind of how like they think they can use their US dollar in every country they set foot in, OR travel without a passport like they used to do to the islands. Sounds like another American superiority attitude lol.....lets not change the time, the world revolves around us!:D

Stone the Crows, our American Cruiser comrades do cross to here now and again, I fear WW3 approaching, even though we/they are their/our Allies.

Personally I do not care for the time on the ships, ship's time, local time, Sydney Time, New York Time, Kabul Time, who cares. My retirement strategy is never to wear a watch, but the 'Boss does.' LOL.

However I do know when it is 'Cocktail Hour.'

When I did my Western Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas they stayed on ships time. A couple of ports were an hour's time difference. Obviously RCL think Americans are of inferior intelligence :D

I have heard of that happening on some Caribbean cruises. Amazing.:)

:eek:

Oh I too fear WW3. Please note our poster's origin? (Sylmar, California) - opps but really this could only happen in America.

My daugther was asked when working in New York, if us ozzies speak English and do we celebrate Xmas on 25th December.

So go figure............now what were you saying Les-Sutho - ROFLMAO!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't worry all you yanks, us ozzies have a weird sense of hummor and seem to like to take the "pi****" out of people. The more we get stuck in the more we like you! Like calling people with red hair "Bluey" for example.

Whose got more examples for our America friends who might pop in!

I thought it was rather funny and hope they only see it as the joke it was intended to be. Besides it was very hard to resist when they make it '"so so" easy to make jokes about them!!!

Seriously though they need to join the real world. Not even the British stay on their UK time when their ships cross to Europe.

Hey Sutho,

What my DH said when I first read the original post out (and his picking up on nationality) and his opinions as I read this very funny but interesting rolling post out to him would really cause WW3.

his opinions and thoughts mirror your thoughts and comments actually but I fear he is NOT joking!

Oh! well it takes all to make an interesting world! Have agreat day all even the yanks!

B&B ;)

Archived