Just lost my husband, nervous about cruising as a widow

mytwokidsmom

Has anyone ever felt this way? My husband suffered a fatal heart attack 15 days ago. We already have airfare, and we were booked on the Legend. I'm just afraid I will be too lonesome, missing my husband. My kids will probably enjoy the kids club. Anyone experience a situation like this?

not like'your situation. im sorry you are going thru this.

my husband died at 45. he always thought we had plenty of time do do stuff.

sorry to say-life is too short and there is no guarantee on tomorrow.

i say go- create those wonderful today memories.

its'ok to be sad. its also ok to live life to the fullest

Has anyone ever felt this way? My husband suffered a fatal heart attack 15 days ago. We already have airfare, and we were booked on the Legend. I'm just afraid I will be too lonesome, missing my husband. My kids will probably enjoy the kids club. Anyone experience a situation like this?

So sorry for your loss. Is there possibly a friend who can also come along for some support? May help to get away and relax. Sometimes life sucks. I hope you have family and friends to lean on and support you. Good luck.

Im so very sorry for your loss! While I have suffered a major loss long ago, it does not compare to your situation, we were not planning a cruise or vacation. I dont know what to say about how you will feel, except that I understand from your post that you will be going with family, so that cancel is not an option.

You will be missing your husband for a long time to come, whether it be at home or on the cruise. There will be bittersweet memories and thoughts on your cruise, yet you will have those at home too. Again, I just dont know how you will feel, but perhaps getting "away", for a brief period might be good for all of you, and your husband would want you to go.

Again, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

Edited by SMSACE6

I'm so sorry for your loss.... I hope you find the courage to go. We have an extended family member that bought a cruise for his sister that had cancer that he had been taking care of.... She ended up passing away shortly before the trip. He did have another friend that was already booked to go so,he wasn't alone but he did go.... He said it was great to get away... Relax and he got lots of reading done. It's not the same I know but it will be good to get out and get your mind thinking about other things even for the short time. Take care

I am so sorry that you are going through this...I cannot imagine how you feel, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I think that a change of scenery may be a good thing for you and the kids...to get out of the house and take a break from life will help you relax and help you start the healing process. I do agree that it would be ideal if you could have someone with you on the cruise...a close friend or family member for support...but if not, you and your children with take this time together and it will be so special.

Please accept my sincere sympathies on your tragic loss.

If you feel that taking your kids on your planned cruise would be cathertic for the family, then please go and remember your husband in some type of private ceremony that you create on board.

My condolences to you on the loss of your husband.

Maybe cruising would be nice for several reasons:

Private time for you so if you need to cry you can just let loose.

Bonding time with your children and heart to heart talks remembering Dad.

If you haven't already you could join in the roll call for your cruise and meet some of them onboard.

It's natural to feel nervous. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Being a husband that almost left this wonderful earth, I would want my wife to go. If anything cry and remember me ,but most of all remember the wonderful times we had together. And then smile that smile that makes me happy. Go my dear ,GO ! . I feel he will be there in spirit with you.

Sorry for your loss. The one bit of advice I can give you is not to make any rash (large) decisions. Only you and your children can make the best choice for your family. There is no right or wrong answer.

Would a good friend be able to go with you as a good shoulder/sounding board?

Perspective--

Back in 2003 we took a repo cruise LA - Vancouver that was at the tail end of a World Cruise on HAL. At dinner we were 8 at a 10 top. There were two women sitting alone, each at their own table. DH, being friendly says to the waiter they can join us if they want.

Waiter looks at the women and back to DH. paraphrasing - "That woman's husband died during the cruise. She went home, buried him and came back. The other woman also lost her husband during the cruise. She just shipped his body home."

You could do a memorial at sea for your husband.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/13/do-you-allow-the-dispersing-of-cremated-ashes-at-sea.aspx

Edited by SadieN

I am very sorry for your loss. This is something that only you can decide. I suffered a loss awhile back. Not the same as yours, but I lost someone I loved so very much. We had cruise planned. I went . My adult daughter went with me. Even though she tried her best to help me through, it was so difficult. i shouldnt have went. It was just too soon for me. Your situation may be very different than mine. There weren't young children involved. when making your decision, keep their feelings in mind. Perhaps sit and talk with them about this, and if they still want to go. Whatever you choose, just know that thoughts and prayers will follow you.

Being a husband that almost left this wonderful earth, I would want my wife to go. If anything cry and remember me ,but most of all remember the wonderful times we had together. And then smile that smile that makes me happy. Go my dear ,GO ! . I feel he will be there in spirit with you.

Very nice sentiment cruzinman and I agree. OP go with your children and celebrate your DH's life.

So sorry for you loss.

Perspective--

Back in 2003 we took a repo cruise LA - Vancouver that was at the tail end of a World Cruise on HAL. At dinner we were 8 at a 10 top. There were two women sitting alone, each at their own table. DH, being friendly says to the waiter they can join us if they want.

Waiter looks at the women and back to DH. paraphrasing - "That woman's husband died during the cruise. She went home, buried him and came back. The other woman also lost her husband during the cruise. She just shipped his body home."

***oh my... Maybe it's just me but if husband had died during our vacation I would not go bury him and rush back and neither would I just ship his body off like good riddens.... That's horrible

I am so sorry for your loss

I do agree with the others, your DH would want you to go on the cruise and celebrate his life. I hope you have someone that ca go with you and help the kids celebrate their father too. How old are they?

Wishing the best for you and your family

My Nana (she raised me and my sister) died less then a month before my sister's wedding and 3 months before mine. In the end we both decided to go ahead with our plans. While it was bitter sweet I know she watch over us on those days (and probably many more). I know how much she love us and I think she would have wanted us to continue as planned and have a good time.

I am very sorry for your loss but I think you should go and have the best time possible. i firmly believe your husband will be with you in spirit and I hope it reminds you of great memories the two of you had together.