Mongolian Station replaced by Comfort Kitchen

serene56

What Carnival needs to do would be to replace the Mongolin Wok Station with a Deluxe Salad Station. For lunch many individuals do not want to eat "heavy' food, rather save a big meal for dinner. A deluxe salad station where you could have a gourmet salad custom made would fill a large gap. In addition, it would be a fast moving line. Beter service, better food. A plus if Carnival would do this.

EVERY ship I have been on has a huge salad bar that you make up your salad yourself.

What do you consider a delux salad station?

Perhaps stevenr is suggesting something like what RC has in their MDRs for lunch.

Their non self-serve salad buffet was the food highlight of my Mariner cruise.

You pointed to what you wanted and they added it to "your" bowl, dressed it and then poured it onto a large plate.

Wonderful choice of top quality ingredients. Spectacularly good. Not sure if it was just for sea days.

Perhaps stevenr is suggesting something like what RC has in their MDRs for lunch.

You pointed to what you wanted and they added it to "your" bowl, dressed it and then poured it onto a large plate.

Wonderful choice of top quality ingredients. Spectacularly good. Not sure if it was just for sea days.

While I am a salad person, not sure I could ever say that a non-serve salad station could be the highlight of my cruise.....

Guy's Burger joint is just plain fattening and GROSS! Maybe the lines move faster but the slabs of gross beef, buttered buns, bacon, heart-attack induding grease replacing one of the few healthier options is a good thing? Im one who is willing to stand in line for the Mongolian wok the food was fresh, tasted great and healthier than most of the other crap! Im guessing the "Comfort Foods" are along the lines of fried chicken, mac&cheese, etc. I hope they dont take the Wok off the Valor before we sail in June...

Perhaps you should try one? They are amazing. The fries are great, too. You'll have to sail on a different ship, however. Valor isn't set for 2.0 until 2014.

DSC_0675_DxO.jpg

While I am a salad person, not sure I could ever say that a non-serve salad station could be the highlight of my cruise.....

LOL

but I know what he meant-- I booked my upcoming cruise based on the Mongolian Station. I booked my port days based on that station being opened at lunch only.

I even went as far and rebooked the Glory for an August cruise-

A few weeks ago- when i was reading about Guys burgers-- I nearly had an anxiety attack because how was Guys going to compete with the Mongolian grill.

I may just have to find the non serve salad station and try to stay healthy

I did say food highlight.:p

LOL

but I know what he meant-- I booked my upcoming cruise based on the Mongolian Station. I booked my port days based on that station being opened at lunch only.

A few weeks ago- when i was reading about Guys burgers-- I nearly had an anxiety attack because how was Guys going to compete with the Mongolian grill.

Understand, I can say that I enjoy the wok as well. It does take so darn long though. Wife either waits until I have my food (before getting whatever she wants) or is done by the time I get there.....

Whoa news to me and I don't like it. I LOVE the Mongolian station and have gotten my delicious bowl of veggies/noodles (I skip their meats here) with lots of spicy szechuan sauce as soon as we board when there is no line (usually the only time on the cruise).

Guy's Burgers sound good but one per cruise will be sufficient for me.

LOL

What Carnival needs to do would be to replace the Mongolin Wok Station with a Deluxe Salad Station. For lunch many individuals do not want to eat "heavy' food, rather save a big meal for dinner. A deluxe salad station where you could have a gourmet salad custom made would fill a large gap. In addition, it would be a fast moving line. Beter service, better food. A plus if Carnival would do this.

Carnival does have this. I've only seen it on 2 Dream class ships though, Dream and Magic. Its on the Promenade where the Sushi is during the evening. They have a bunch of different toppings and veggies. You choose all your ingredients and the salad chef prepares it for you.

Sorry to hear this about the Mongolian Wok, although I would never book a cruise just for this. I always ate there for lunch about 2 times per cruise. Although lines at times, never stood in line for 30 minutes, 10 minutes max. They already have fried chicken on lunch buffet 1 or 2 days, so why make it daily? Has to be to lower their cost, and easier to buy supplies and only cook certain items for mass production.

It has always taken me longer at the deli for sandwiches, than any other place for lunch.

On Conquest the Mongolian Wok was removed when they put Guy's Burger Joint in. Guy's is a much better choice and much faster.

Before:

DSC_3883.JPG

DSC_1040_DxO.jpg

I havnt been on the Conquest in a few years but.....

Your before photo is of the old buffet line on the lido deck next to the pool before you go into the restaurant.

The Mongolian wok was inside the restaurant doors across from the main buffet station.

EVERY ship I have been on has a huge salad bar that you make up your salad yourself.

What do you consider a delux salad station?

I don't consider Carnival's salad bar huge. I actually think it is the bare minimum. I was on Celebrity last week. They had a fantastic salad bar with a huge selection of vegetables (about 3x the variety Carnival offers), ham, turkey, chicken, tuna, beans, etc. I think the addition of the chopped protein options would be a great addition, and what the poster was referring to as a deluxe salad bar.

Just off the pride and the comfort choice food was aweful, meatloaf, mac n cheese with bacon, southern fried chicken all bad, buffet bad, hot dogs bad, deli and pizza was still good

We actually sent the meatloaf back on the Paradise. It was virtually inedible and certainly not very comforting!

Warm chocolate melting cake was still good.

Perhaps you should try one? They are amazing. The fries are great, too. You'll have to sail on a different ship, however. Valor isn't set for 2.0 until 2014.

DSC_0675_DxO.jpg

Oh, darn. Looks like Im missing out on gaining 5 pounds and a possible heart attack from one burger and fries since the Valor doesnt have them yet. No thanks Ill stick to the less-greasy options....and an occasional slice of pizza. LOL.

I havnt been on the Conquest in a few years but.....

Your before photo is of the old buffet line on the lido deck next to the pool before you go into the restaurant.

The Mongolian wok was inside the restaurant doors across from the main buffet station.

That photo is of the Mongolian wok (you can tell by the cooks clothing and people have bowls and are putting the veggies in them. HOWEVER, this past April the Mongolian wok station was inside like you said. The pictured area was a burger/hot dog grill and the one on the other side was the Tandor station.

I'm wondering when was this photo was taken. Maybe it was before the moved the Mongolian inside in preparation for the addition of Guy's Burgers.

While I enjoyed it also, did you really booku a cruise for the Wok station?

sad isnt it. but yes

i could have taken the pride for less money.

but its been a long time since i sailed a ship with a mongolian

i love eating at the local mongolian grills here at home...but the ship's mongolian was a disappointment. so not a big loss here for me. there was always a long, slow moving line and not much to choose from. hopefully whatever it is they replaced it with is better.

I too am surprised there wasn't any chatter about it being removed/replaced,

I stopped eating the Mongolian wok food when the server poured the raw beef/chicken I gave them into the wok pan, cooked it with the noodles, and dumped the food back into the original bowl I had handed them. It grossed me out. I actually called over the food manager and spoke to them about it. (after dumping the food) He then spoke to the cook, who began putting the raw food dish into the wash tray and used a fresh bowl to put the cooked food into. Unfortunately, a few days later I saw them still putting cooked food into the same bowl that had the raw meat in it. At that moment I stopped eating the wok on any ship.

I have never seen the cooks do what you've described here. Whenever I have ordered from the wok, they always take whatever protein I've asked for directly from the display tray (with a large spoon or spatula) and put the meat right into the hot wok. The meat always goes in first, as it takes the longest to cook compared to the veggies and noodles. The only items the guests have access to are the veggies and noodles. I have never seen raw meat go into any bowl before it goes into the wok. I have only ever seen them take meat directly from the tray it is in with a spatula, and put it directly into the wok.

Archived