Delayed disembarkation- how not to treat your guests

beechwood

spook1, I wasn't complaining, just stating how it was handled by Princess and it was a workable situation.

We have booked everything through O, so I am sure we will be well taken care of.

Spindrift, I should have been clearer to where my reply was directed. It wasn't at you. Fact...I was going tp write what you did when this thread first surfaced then decided in this casei it wasn't worth the effort. :)

Hi guys,

I just realized that we were supposed to board at 1 pm, not the usual 3 pm. That said, and reading through all the balanced responses, I now think Oceania should be dealing with the situation of appeasing those passengers who have travelled thousands of miles to get onto the ship with the same thoughtfulness of those getting off. I presume they are being so kind to those getting off mainly because they are responsible for getting a large portion of them back to LA, thus they have the issue of logistics to deal with, but asking 500 or more people to sort of drift around Pappette on their own while the overtime passengers enjoy the ship does seem to be a stretch. Their cruise ends at 9 am, and those who have cruised before know how strongly the cruise lines like to remind us that the cruise is over and "please come again". As I said, I do believe they will get it, and figure something out before we all get out of whack, but it is a bit strange actually watching 800 people trying to get on board at 600 pm, something Oceania should really try to avoid.

Safety drill can occur before all passengers arrive. This happened on Regatta in Boston (Amazon trip) just after hurricane Sandy where embarkation was in Boston instead of New York. Those who arrived late were given a personal safety drill the next day.

By the way, Oceania (and probably other cruise lines) did a great job rearranging flights for those affected by the inability of ships to dock in NYC for a few days.

We've flown from Rio to the US where all flights leave late night and passengers were required to disembark by 9 am. While O arranged tours for those who hadn't made other arrangements, for a price, maybe the difference is local facilities.

We've flown from Rio to the US where all flights leave late night and passengers were required to disembark by 9 am. While O arranged tours for those who hadn't made other arrangements, for a price, maybe the difference is local facilities.

Next year, we are going to do it differently...and leave on the first overnight day in port during the afternoon, like some others did this year.

Having said that....I'm gonna have to find out how to handle our luggage - do we have to carry it off ourselves? Will we pick it up in the same place? Etc...

Take care....enjoy your upcoming cruise :)

gary

Not only embarking as well as disembarking passengers--we booked this trip when it was first announced. When the air came out, we asked for special on the side two seating, (in our late 70's and 80's) and we ended up in the middle. We have 14 cruises with O (I know, not as many as others), but we were at the bottom of the "seat assignment" list as we just learned that O did the assignments.

I can assue you, if we could have cancelled this trip we would have, but we certainly have control over our future cruises with them, and I am making other plans with other lines. Have booked the Baltic, but we are changing that, and we just booked HAL & Crystal on 2 others. Thank heavens we learned our lesson early.

I am VERY, VERY disappointed in their handling of all the arrangements. Guess they assume that we will just lay back and take their abuse, you might say (or lack of caring).

I also was trying to work with them for over 50 CC members to have a meeting place but basically being told that we can't have a special area for our meeting. Another message of lack of loyalty interest.

I also was trying to work with them for over 50 CC members to have a meeting place but basically being told that we can't have a special area for our meeting. Another message of lack of loyalty interest.

Sorry, but I say "Bravo" to Oceania for NOT setting aside a "special" area for a Cruise Critic (or other group) meet and greet (unless there is a "boardroom/meeting room" that does not infringe on the rights of individual cruisers), because nearly every passenger wants to enjoy the view. Everyone likes to feel special individually. Passengers that arrive first to a special deck area or observation lounge should be able to select their own personal table or chair without being told "no" they can't sit there. It often gets very noisy with huge groups meeting and taking over an area.

There's nothing worse than losing a large part of the best observation lounge (as one example of a prime area) on ships to such groups. It just starts off the cruise with an "us" and "them" mentality and what you may enjoy comes at the expense of the enjoyment of other guests.

To me, this is no different than "chair hogs" who have one person get up early and stake out a row of loungers.

It's definitely not upscale or conducive to an enjoyable start to a cruise to be shooed away from an area. If you want a party, have it inside one or two of the upper suites, at your own cost and effort.

Gillianrose,

Are you serious or just grumpy?

We are talking about a one time event of maybe 30 to 45 minutes - not a daily occurrence.

The Horizons are huge and there is no need for M&G to take up the prime viewing area (front rows). In fact, our M&G was in the "smoking room" of Marina's Horizon lounge - an area that no other people would want to use ( and it is even sound isolated, more or less).

On the R ships one can use the theater - not much happens there during certain times of the day (like after safety drill).

Live and let live :D

In fact, Oceania regularly schedules and reserves space for "special groups" - Friends of Bill W, Friends of Dorothy, Aussie and Kiwi get together, etc, etc.

Nobody seems to mind, AFAIK.

Not only embarking as well as disembarking passengers--we booked this trip when it was first announced. When the air came out, we asked for special on the side two seating, (in our late 70's and 80's) and we ended up in the middle. We have 14 cruises with O (I know, not as many as others), but we were at the bottom of the "seat assignment" list as we just learned that O did the assignments.

I can assue you, if we could have cancelled this trip we would have, but we certainly have control over our future cruises with them, and I am making other plans with other lines. Have booked the Baltic, but we are changing that, and we just booked HAL & Crystal on 2 others. Thank heavens we learned our lesson early.

I am VERY, VERY disappointed in their handling of all the arrangements. Guess they assume that we will just lay back and take their abuse, you might say (or lack of caring).

The question is are the other lines going to treat you any better? :confused:

Gillianrose,

We are talking about a one time event of maybe 30 to 45 minutes - not a daily occurrence.

The Horizons are huge and there is no need for M&G to take up the prime viewing area (front rows). In fact, our M&G was in the "smoking room" of Marina's Horizon lounge - an area that no other people would want to use ( and it is even sound isolated, more or less).

On the R ships one can use the theater - not much happens there during certain times of the day (like after safety drill).

In fact, Oceania regularly schedules and reserves space for "special groups" - Friends of Bill W, Friends of Dorothy, Aussie and Kiwi get together, etc, etc.

I am serious, and I have encountered grumpy and selfish chair hogs (and "this is our area" hogs) on more than one cruise. It's not easy remaining lighthearted when all the good seats are roped off.

However, if you have a Meet and Greet in the smoking lounge, then that would not infringe on an area that is important to me, so have at it. :)

If it were not for the posts on cruise critic we would not know about the delayed embarkation, I wonder if people have been notified by their travel agents or Oceania and I also wonder how many people do not know. We are happy we read these posts and keep informed by you all. We leave January 27 on our Tahiti cruise and counting down the days

Back to the original thread. This is part of the message from my travel agent which was received as a notification from Oceania today. Figured they would work out something to make it relatively easy for independent travelers. Seems like they are planning appropriately for those getting off and getting on.

All guests, including those on pre-cruise packages or those arriving into Papeete prior to 6 pm, may check-in for their cruise at Papeete City Hall from 10 am until 6 pm on the day of embarkation. Guests will be able to check-in their luggage as well, which will then be transported to the ship and delivered to their stateroom later that evening. Hand luggage may also be stored at Papeete City Hall but must be collected by 6 pm. Refreshments will be available in the waiting area at the City Hall.

Guests are welcome to enjoy their day in Papeete. Please remember that embarkation begins at 6 pm. Papeete City Hall is located a short walking distance (2 short blocks) from the ship. We will also have shuttle service available.

Back to the original thread. This is part of the message from my travel agent which was received as a notification from Oceania today. Figured they would work out something to make it relatively easy for independent travelers. Seems like they are planning appropriately for those getting off and getting on.

All guests, including those on pre-cruise packages or those arriving into Papeete prior to 6 pm, may check-in for their cruise at Papeete City Hall from 10 am until 6 pm on the day of embarkation. Guests will be able to check-in their luggage as well, which will then be transported to the ship and delivered to their stateroom later that evening. Hand luggage may also be stored at Papeete City Hall but must be collected by 6 pm. Refreshments will be available in the waiting area at the City Hall.

Guests are welcome to enjoy their day in Papeete. Please remember that embarkation begins at 6 pm. Papeete City Hall is located a short walking distance (2 short blocks) from the ship. We will also have shuttle service available.

Everyone should have received this notification..

Jancruz1

I am serious, and I have encountered grumpy and selfish chair hogs (and "this is our area" hogs) on more than one cruise. It's not easy remaining lighthearted when all the good seats are roped off.

However, if you have a Meet and Greet in the smoking lounge, then that would not infringe on an area that is important to me, so have at it. :)

Okay, I'm late in responding to this aspect of the thread but I DID have to comment.

I understand Gillian Rose's complaints. I do. But I have set up a number of private Meet & Greets, usually a small group but on a few occasions 35-50 people or even more, and we've NEVER been placed in a location that would block people's views. They always placed us towards the front (i.e. not by the window) area of Horizons -- on both the "R" ships and Marina.

Chair hogs to exist, no argument there! But I'm talking about the pool area, I think ...

Mura

Gillianrose,

You KNOW I agree with you!! On this last TA from Rome to Rio we had to wait to get on board to find a time and place for the M&G. and then deal with "invitations" to everyone...instead of just being able to work with corporate and pre schedule it....MUCH more work for O in the long run!!! Finally got that put together...with a small area on the starboard side with a sign that said "Private Party" and we had a group of 125 CC members on board...that is 10% of the passengers....No "front rows" and a huge part of Horizons not impacted at all!!!! I was tryng to schedule a CC luncheon...was "shut down" by the MDR staff...until I mentioned it on my early cruise suggestion form and the GM stepped in and helped me pull it off....just about 6 tables ( maybe about 50 guests) in the MDR...where most passengers don't eat lunch anyway!!!!.....with wine served and an officer at each table....(THAT was so nice and thanks to the GM!!!!) I was so happy that they were finally so co-operative!!! BTW the GM was the best!!!! I SO agree with you....there were areas in Horizons every night marked off for 1) Aussies 2) Canadians 3) UK 4) Germans.....and not just once but at least 2 times for each group!!!! And of course...as you mentioned the additonal meetings for the Friends of Dorothy and Bill...I can't imagine why anyone thinks that ALL these groups should not be included...especially since some groups (Friends of Dorothy and Bill have a scheduled meeting every day)...and I think that is GREAT....I just don't get why CC members....LOYAL to O...keep getting the "short end of the stick"!!!!!

Don't really get the corporate decision on this....we don't want anything "free"....just a place to meet at a time and location....HOW hard can this be???? LuAnn

I've never dealt with as many as you did, but I agree ... it shouldn't be that hard, especially if you're on the "big" ships.

From posts I see here at CC, it seems to vary ship to ship and cruise to cruise ... as to whether groups can be accommodated or not. I have never had a problem myself in scheduling an M&G but I do not doubt that those of you who have reported problems encountered them!

That really shouldn't happen.

Mura

Archived