Oceania - is it (again) time for new itineraries?

Paulchili

Speaking of new itineraries - Princess just posted their schedules for Fall 2014- Winter 2015 Exotic cruises. They have several that caught my attention.

For example, they have several 7-9 day cruises that can be combined as B2B and focus on Japan:

Round Hokkaido, Circle Kyushu, Kyushu & Onsens, Ryuku and Taiwan and others.

I find these innovative in that they focus on a region in detail, rather then visiting just one or two common ports in Japan.

They also have short cruises that focus on Indonesia in more detail.

These are the type of cruises that I would be interested in addition to the "old & tried" (aka tired) itineraries that O offers. While I understand that there are many people who have not yet cruised the Med or Baltic and these common itineraries are needed, i believe that there are many of us that would like to try something new (preferably on Oceania :)).

I agree, I would love this type of interary--focussed on one country or small region. This could, of course, include parts of the Med. or Baltic as well as areas of Asia. Overnight in ports is good too, not just at the beginning and end of the cruise.

I would love a South Atlantic crossing taking in St Helena and Tristan da Cunha....

That's a bit remote for us. Did you know that you can visit these two British outposts with a British ship?

south-atlantic-odyssey-map.jpg

We'd love the extensive Japan cruises (no China) if they are offered in prime season as Princess is doing. I can see us doing several back to back cruises there.

O&R....who is that itinerary with?? I may just consider it so long as it's not P&O or Cunard....way too many of my compatriots on one ship. LOL

I am tentatively planning a trip on the RMS St Helena (the last true Royal Mail ship) before they finish building the airport on St Helena. Ascension doesn't hold too much interest as it's just one big military base with no permanent population apart from the contract workers, Tristan, however, does fascinate me but landing there can be quite hit and miss, and you will have sailed a heck of a long way to miss a port!!

O&R....who is that itinerary with?? I may just consider it so long as it's not P&O or Cunard....way too many of my compatriots on one ship. LOL

I am tentatively planning a trip on the RMS St Helena (the last true Royal Mail ship) before they finish building the airport on St Helena. Ascension doesn't hold too much interest as it's just one big military base with no permanent population apart from the contract workers' date=' Tristan, however, does fascinate me but landing there can be quite hit and miss, and you will have sailed a heck of a long way to miss a port!![/quote']

The itinerary I posted is on RMS St. Helena. :)

Here she is at St. Helena:

rms-img4.jpg

Looking again at the original website where I found the graphic (it's an agency, so I can't link to it here, though you may know how to use my graphic to do it), it appears that the next Southern Atlantic itinerary which includes both islands is on m/v Plancius.

1.jpg

I would like to suggest that at least for the R ships, Oceania consider longer port stays ( read over nights) or at least late night departures. Also, give up the port intensive approach on many of your itineraries. Allow your passengers to appreciate the ports, spend some quality time, have a nice dinner, and "smell the roses". How much can you get to know or appreciate Barcelona, Rome, or Bordeaux spending only 8-10 hours in the port?

Port intensive cruises wears our your clients after about 5 days and the ports become a blurr rather than a quality experience. This is particularly stressful with O's Med cruises where you will find many 10 day cruises with 8 ports. No thank- you.

The O bean counters should like more over- nights as less fuel is consumed. And I'm sure the crew would like the opportunity of evening shore time.

Several cruise lines have found that this formula is working!

Port intensive cruises wears our your clients after about 5 days and the ports become a blurr rather than a quality experience. This is particularly stressful with O's Med cruises where you will find many 10 day cruises with 8 ports. No thank- you.

We agree. On our last Med cruise we were exhausted at the end. Of course it didn't help that we were in Israel so some days were exceptionally long.

We like cruises with a nice balance of sea days and port days. On our Asian cruise this winter I think we had 4 overnights and it was nice not to feel so rushed. Of course it helped that we had 25 days to work with. Last year we did 21 days in NZ, Australia and South Pacific. Same thing, lots of sea days, a nice balance.

Mo

I would love to circumnavigate Australia. We are holding our breath for Marina itineraries for late 2014. Perhaps this dream can become a reality???

I would think that overnights would be financially beneficial to Oceania, but only the big boss in the sky knows???

Archived