Oceania - is it (again) time for new itineraries?

Paulchili

Presently the Argentne folks are being very hostle to Cruise ships. and Ushaeua is the port for Argentine departure for Antarctica and must cross the nasty Drakes passage

Why not think Sydney to Tasmania both sides not just Hobart, for 2 stops then cross to the Ross sea to The massive ross Ice shelf and Mc Murdo sounnd. Way easier crossing, Way richer wildlife, no Argentina dictators to deal with, and the way the US currently chooses to supply it s base in Antarctica ( what do they know the cruise lines do not) 14 day s yes a lot of sea days nut chance for fantastc enricment

The goal and objective is to keep out of the realms of terrorists, politics and explore regions that have never seen the cruise industry...

Good idea -- but Oceania used to do drive by's in Antarctica but stopped doing this because of the new treaty requirements that banned the heavy oil fuels that the "R" ships use. I do not think they would put Antarctica back on the agenda because of the costs involved.

There are some really interesting ideas being exchanged on this thread, even if some of us agree to disagree.

That said, Dan, Joysav et all are just flat out right on safety issues. It isnt O's mandate to take travelers to dicey parts of our planet and then perhaps have to change or cancel ports, or even worse. It isn't reactive fear but flat out facts that places like Egypt, while safe in the past are not at present despite the fact that tourism remains vital to their economy.

I travel to Mexico at least once a year and drive from Cancun to Tulum, or ferry to Cozumel. The reactions I get from people about how dangerous this is just belies the lack of QUALITY information that some people have. These same people are often surprised to hear that Mexico is larger than Western Europe. Forget about the responses I got from my recent trip to Guatemala. Again, specific locations within countries may be safe and suited to tourism. I am all against blanket and sweeping judgements. But to infer that people are somehow lacking in spirit for taking Egypt off the list at present is uninformed.

Obviously the original poster does not watch or read quality material.

]

I am not as ignorant as you might think (in spite of being American) :)

The ports Hawaiidan is talking about (and to which you agreed) are Iran, Somalia, Yemen, Sudan, Algeria.

Did you see any of these countries mentioned in my original post?

Please read more carefully before flaming. If you had done so, you would have known that I was talking about the West coast of Africa. As you apparently do read quality material then you should also know that none of these countries are on the West coast of Africa :)

Apparently you have never been on a safari. Those animals are indeed wild animals --

There is nothing like being 2 or 3 feet away from a lion or an elephant or a primate from the safety of a Land Rover -- close enough to touch if you wanted to (I do not advise LOL).

I agree, Laraine. There's nothing like being near enough to a lion on a kill and hearing him eat! We saw plenty of animals in the Masai Mara which were definitely still wild :eek:. Perhaps Hawaiidan could give links to the "Studies have shown, for example that the Safari trade in Africa has latered the animals they come in contact."

I agree, Laraine. There's nothing like being near enough to a lion on a kill and hearing him eat! We saw plenty of animals in the Masai Mara which were definitely still wild :eek:. Perhaps Hawaiidan could give links to the "Studies have shown, for example that the Safari trade in Africa has latered the animals they come in contact."

I agree as well. Here is an experience my wife and I had 4 years ago on a safari in Tanzania. Our driver/guide Uda who was very well educated and was a consultant to Oxford University on Flora, Fauna and African languages. A wonderful person to talk to and learn from. After 3 days of being up close to many, many wild animals we were in vehicle stopped on the Serengeti in the middle of the Wildebeest migration. It was a beautiful clear day and we could see for miles in every direction. I asked Uda “if we could count them, how many animals are we looking at”. He responded “ about 300 to 400, 000 Wildebeests, probably 50,000 Zebra, plus Antelopes, Lions, Giraffes, Elephants, Cape Buffalo, Hyenas, Cheetahs and small animals.

I was stunned and somewhat emotional. I said to Uda “why are we here, it is their territory, we are interfering with their natural life”. Uda responded, “if you were not here Barry NONE of the animals would be here, they would all be dead”. He went on to explain that our safari tourist $’s paid for the nature reserves game patrols to protect the animals from poachers, on an area about the size of Ohio. Money was also given to farmers to subsidize their life so that they do not kill the animals and settle on, divide up and farm the animal reserves. All animal reserves in Africa and most other places in the world would not exists without safari funds. Just think about it. I do a lot. It still does not seem right to be wandering around their territory BUT it is the best way we can provide for the survival of big game animals the world over.

I agree as well. Here is an experience my wife and I had 4 years ago on a safari in Tanzania. Our driver/guide Uda who was very well educated and was a consultant to Oxford University on Flora, Fauna and African languages. A wonderful person to talk to and learn from. After 3 days of being up close to many, many wild animals we were in vehicle stopped on the Serengeti in the middle of the Wildebeest migration. It was a beautiful clear day and we could see for miles in every direction. I asked Uda “if we could count them, how many animals are we looking at”. He responded “ about 300 to 400, 000 Wildebeests, probably 50,000 Zebra, plus Antelopes, Lions, Giraffes, Elephants, Cape Buffalo, Hyenas, Cheetahs and small animals.

I was stunned and somewhat emotional. I said to Uda “why are we here, it is their territory, we are interfering with their natural life”. Uda responded, “if you were not here Barry NONE of the animals would be here, they would all be dead”. He went on to explain that our safari tourist $’s paid for the nature reserves game patrols to protect the animals from poachers, on an area about the size of Ohio. Money was also given to farmers to subsidize their life so that they do not kill the animals and settle on, divide up and farm the animal reserves. All animal reserves in Africa and most other places in the world would not exists without safari funds. Just think about it. I do a lot. It still does not seem right to be wandering around their territory BUT it is the best way we can provide for the survival of big game animals the world over.

Well said Globevest

How about 2 or 3 Seychelles islands plus Reunion and or Mauritius?

Already done -- It is sometimes done on the Capetown to Singapore Nautica trip. Did Comoros. Reunion, Mauritius, Seychelles (3 islands) and Maldives.... in January 2012

Paul -- agree west Africa is certainly different than East Africa --- and I for one would be be interested. And yes it is safe!!

After four wonderful Oceania cruises in each calendar year starting in 2008, we took our first Azamara cruise this past October solely due to the itinerary offered. The cruise was Barcelona to Rome, but the ports were Port Mahon on Menorca, four different ports in Sicily (Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento and Syracusa), Valletta, Malta, Salerno and several days in Sorrento. We found this an exhilarating itinerary offering wonderful opportunities to explore many historical sites, including numerous Greek temples. There is a lot to explore in Sicily, and I wonder why most cruises only stop in Taormina. Also, why is Malta visited so seldom? It has fascinating sites, both ancient and WWII and one of the most beautiful sail-ins in the world

West Africa, I vote for it. You know this is funny to me--I once told my husband my dream trip was West Africa/Safari, so if he learned that I was dieing, please book the trip. Now he tells me if he were to book the trip, I would think I was dieing. Ha Ha

Yes, let's go for West Africa (I'll book it and know I am not dieing--ha ha:D)

After four wonderful Oceania cruises in each calendar year starting in 2008, we took our first Azamara cruise this past October solely due to the itinerary offered. The cruise was Barcelona to Rome, but the ports were Port Mahon on Menorca, four different ports in Sicily (Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento and Syracusa), Valletta, Malta, Salerno and several days in Sorrento. We found this an exhilarating itinerary offering wonderful opportunities to explore many historical sites, including numerous Greek temples. There is a lot to explore in Sicily, and I wonder why most cruises only stop in Taormina. Also, why is Malta visited so seldom? It has fascinating sites, both ancient and WWII and one of the most beautiful sail-ins in the world

This is the type of one country in small in depth port cruising I was looking for as well. Sounds great.

This is the type of one country in small in depth port cruising I was looking for as well. Sounds great.

It was a fantastic cruise; we had terrific weather and although the ship's furnishings were a bit dated, the food was much better than expected and really just as good as Oceania's, except for the specialty restaurant experience, and the shore excursions much more reasonably priced. The crew was great, our fellow passengers were very friendly, and the coffee lounge was a wonderful place to relax and enjoy excellent hot drinks.

Between Azamara and Oceania, I really would just opt for the best itinerary. Both provide a terrific experience.

Just a simple one..we would LOVE several stops in Sicily! We always seem to dock in Giardini Naxos for Taormina..there seems to be so much more to see in Sicily. That should be simple!

Also, the smaller ships could sail up to Seville in Spain...

We loved a HAL trip that went Barcelona to Dover with Isle of Guernesey, Lisbon etc..would have enjoyed Gibralter, Mont St.Michel, and Bilbao as well!l

Sherry

One example comes to mind - unexplored countries of the West African coast.

Paulchili, what an interesting thread....

Have only cruised once on Oceania (35 days HK to Athens on Nautica this year) and enjoyed the smaller ship. Indeed, we waited till the Nautica Capetown to Singapore itinerary for 2014 was released to see what it was like. We were also considering the Ocean Princess African itinerary for early 2014 - Singapore to Dover via Capetown and West Africa ( 61 days). Ocean Princess of course is a sister ship to Nautica. Have been on Princess, though not on their two R class ships, so we know the differences between the cruiselines. (We are newish to cruising but not to travelling, and so far we choose cruises based on itinerary.) Had O’s itinerary included Burma (as it did some years ago) it may have been the deciding factor for deciding which African cruise. As neither included Burma we went with the longer Princess cruise because of the West African ports. Princess does this itinerary only every two years. Even booking as early as August this year, we could only get a guarantee cabin in the top balcony category and are weight-listed for a mini-suite (O’s penthouse). The cruise is now showing as ‘sold out’. So clearly there is a demand for West Africa itineraries.

We have no qualms about visiting Africa, having spent a lot of time on that continent, in particular West Africa.

CintiPam – I like that Azamara itinerary you mentioned too!

CintiPam – I like that Azamara itinerary you mentioned too!

Hi, Emma, it was a wonderful itinerary. We really felt that we got to see a lot of Sicily, compared to two previous one-day port stops at Giardini Naxos for Taormina.

I have looked at both the 2013 and 2014 Azamara itineraries, and this itinerary is not repeated, perhaps because it it my understanding that two of the port stops in Sicily were added to replace two port stops in North Africa that were cancelled due to political conditions long before we booked the cruise.

Emma,

The Princess itinerary to West Africa is a nice one and the fact that it sold out so fast is a testament to the fact that all cruisers like new and different itineraries, IMO.

We have done a very similar one with Princess some years ago (save for Benin).

The Silversea one is quite a bit more ambitious with added visits to Sao Tome & Principe, Angola, Cameroon, Gambia and Ivory Coast.

I would much rather do this on Oceania.

I am hoping that FDR/Oceania are listening :)

Pam- I thought that you would enjoy the Azamara cruise and I am glad that you did.

My most amazing trip ever was to East Africa and going on safari.. so... a cruise around West Africa would be my pick too.would like Seychelles thrown in and Mahe.. If and whenever this itiny appears I'm in the booking line with you guys!

Emma,

The Princess itinerary to West Africa is a nice one and the fact that it sold out so fast is a testament to the fact that all cruisers like new and different itineraries, IMO.

We have done a very similar one with Princess some years ago (save for Benin).

The Silversea one is quite a bit more ambitious with added visits to Sao Tome & Principe, Angola, Cameroon, Gambia and Ivory Coast.

I would much rather do this on Oceania.

I am hoping that FDR/Oceania are listening :)

Pam- I thought that you would enjoy the Azamara cruise and I am glad that you did.

FDR are you listening :)

Archived