Oceania - is it (again) time for new itineraries?

Paulchili

Hope everyone had a great holiday season...

(It's January 2 and I'm back to work and back to Cruise Critic!)

Paul,

I agree on West Africa...

If you remember, part of my entry from the contest a couple of years back included some stops in West Africa--but,in trying to get back to Europe on a round trip and a 14 night cruise, I only had it going part of the way down...But, obviously, based on the poll results, it was a pretty popular idea then as well...

The great thing for us veteran cruisers is that most of us have already been several times to the various ports in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean as well as to the Baltic and Alaska...and we always look for new places to explore...This would open up an entirely new area for us...and still preserve the safety and luxury of doing it on an Oceania ship!

Another itinerary that doesn't seem to exist would be a 14 night cruise down the Pacific Coast from Los Angeles to South America (could be done one-way, north and south), stopping in various Central and South American countries with an overnight or and post-cruise package visiting Cuzco and/or Macchu Picchu...Say, LA to Santiago or LA to Lima, Peru with stops in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Guatemala, San Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia and Ecuador...Cruise there, fly back or vice-versa...

Hope everyone had a great holiday season...

(It's January 2 and I'm back to work and back to Cruise Critic!)

Paul,

I agree on West Africa...

The great thing for us veteran cruisers is that most of us have already been several times to the various ports in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean as well as to the Baltic and Alaska...and we always look for new places to explore...This would open up an entirely new area for us...and still preserve the safety and luxury of doing it on an Oceania ship!

Steve,

Especially with the Insignia definitely returning and rumors of another O class ship being floated around, we do need some new and interesting places to go.

Let's hope that somebody is listening.

Paul

What about Round the World, with segments available, "Marina" via the canals "Riviera" via the capes. Now consider the ports of call, one for the Northern Hemisphere (North America, Asia. Middle East, Mediterranean, Europe) and a little bit south of the equator, the other for the Southern Hemisphere (South America, Africa the Indian Ocean islands, Australia, New Zealand the Pacific Islands) and just north of the equator.

The whole world then becomes your oyster.

Change ships to do segments of interest to you.

Crew changes could become a lot cheaper for the company, and more convenient for the crew.

Hi, Emma, it was a wonderful itinerary....

I have looked at both the 2013 and 2014 Azamara itineraries, and this itinerary is not repeated, perhaps because it it my understanding that two of the port stops in Sicily were added to replace two port stops in North Africa that were cancelled due to political conditions long before we booked the cruise.

I actually considerd this, but it clashed with another trip we were doing. Shame to hear therefore that it was a one-off. Unless O considers doing something similar....seems to be some interest....

Emma,

The Princess itinerary to West Africa is a nice one and the fact that it sold out so fast is a testament to the fact that all cruisers like new and different itineraries, IMO.

We have done a very similar one with Princess some years ago (save for Benin).

The Silversea one is quite a bit more ambitious with added visits to Sao Tome & Principe, Angola, Cameroon, Gambia and Ivory Coast.

I would much rather do this on Oceania.

I am hoping that FDR/Oceania are listening :)

Some good suggestions here....Looks like there is a lot of interest in West Africa. Having spent a bit of time there I can say it is fascinating, and the different port stops would lend themselves to cruise visits. Also then you can combine with a safari in South Africa before or afterwards - also an amazing experience.

We did the Capetown to Dover cruise on the Ocean Princess in 2010 and it was our second best ever cruise. Our favourite cruise of all time goes to Oceania and the cruise from Hong Kong to Athens on the Nautica in 2008.

The itinerary that Princess offers is an excellent one with 2 ports in Namibia, then Benin, Togo, Ghan, The Gambia, Senegal, Cape Verde Islands, the Canary Islands, Madiera, Morocco, Spanish Morocco, Cadiz, Lisbon, Le Havre and Dover.

It was a 31 day cruise and each port was an adventure. I think Princess has changed the itinerary slightly but we found the whole cruise to be wonderful and the advantage of leaving from Capetown was that we were able to do a Game Drive in South Africa before we boarded the ship.

Jennie

We did the Capetown to Dover cruise on the Ocean Princess in 2010 and it was our second best ever cruise. Our favourite cruise of all time goes to Oceania and the cruise from Hong Kong to Athens on the Nautica in 2008. The itinerary that Princess offers is an excellent one with 2 ports in Namibia, then Benin, Togo, Ghan, The Gambia, Senegal, Cape Verde Islands, the Canary Islands, Madiera, Morocco, Spanish Morocco, Cadiz, Lisbon, Le Havre and Dover. It was a 31 day cruise and each port was an adventure. I think Princess has changed the itinerary slightly but we found the whole cruise to be wonderful and the advantage of leaving from Capetown was that we were able to do a Game Drive in South Africa before we boarded the ship. Jennie

Good to hear your positive feedback about the Princess West Africa cruise. We are looking forward to it, notwithstanding the fact that we have been to some African ports before - or maybe because we have been there before. (Though I do wish the beds were going to be the lovely O beds - Princess is not noted for its comfortable beds - and it is 61 days :eek:.) We have been on safari in Africa and as it is one of the most wonderful experiences ever, we will certainly try to do another as you can leave the ship at one port and rejoin later. Also agree about the Nautica HK to Athens itinerary, it would almost be our best so far also - an exceptional journey.

Mine is more tame than the rest of yours, but I've always loved the 28-30 day RT from Southern California (San Diego) to Hawaii and Tahiti that HAL offers annually.

Would love to see Marina or Riviera do the 14 day Alaska trip. However, throw in a day or two longer and let the ship sit in Anchorage for two or three days while passengers are given opportunities to head deep into the wilderness by rail/plane/etc. They could do these every other year. Or alternate with shorter 10 day RT's.....

I wouldn't mind an east or west coast culinary/entertainment/etc cruise...overnights in Boston/NYC...long stays in Charleston, Williamsburg area, etc...throw in Bahamas...etc. Sometimes I am guilty of simply wanting to tick off another destination when some of the best are still right here at home..and what better way to revisit familiar places than from aboard an Oceania ship??

Like I said..a bit more tame.

Steve,

Especially with the Insignia definitely returning and rumors of another O class ship being floated around, we do need some new and interesting places to go.

Let's hope that somebody is listening.

Paul

I was told that it was EITHER another new build OR bring back Insignia and refurbish the 3 R ships.

Perhaps others have different information.

I know O doesn't follow (it leads) but there are some wonderful itineraries on both Azamara and Princess (R ships) that would be very popular if offered on O. No need to reinvent the wheel entirely -- perhaps tweak what has already proven to be successful on other lines.

I was told that it was EITHER another new build OR bring back Insignia and refurbish the 3 R ships.

Perhaps others have different information.

I don't think Paulchili's statement was off base given what has previously been posted here - from fairly reliable source (directly or indirectly) ;)
In today's Miami Herald there was an article about what changes are/will be made to satisfy cruisers on ships.

Quoted:

"Of 2012’s three new ships, only the Oceania Riviera is not significantly different from the first ship in its class. Frank Del Rio, chairman and CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Oceania’s parent company, says he’ll use the same design to build the next Oceania ship, although that will be at least two years off."

"Ship design changes reflect the lifestyle that passengers have on shore, Del Rio said. Just as homes are bigger than they were a generation or two ago, his line’s ships are bigger and so are staterooms. Dining is healthier and has more of a gourmet flair, the ambience and dress are more casual, and the stateroom has more amenities."

"Del Rio said Oceania also made mistakes. Designers didn’t anticipate the popularity of the Barista coffee bar — which, unlike most ships, offers free specialty coffee drinks — or the Bon Appetit Culinary Center, which offers hands-on cooking classes for a fee. And he’s disappointed that a 10-person private dining room, Privee, initially available for $1,000 a night but knocked down to $250, did not get much use. On the next ship, he said, the culinary center and the coffee bar will be larger, and Privee will be eliminated."

Just wanted to pass this info on.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Cruising!

Dear Pacheco18, Paulchili et al:

First of all Merry Christmas today and Happy Holidays to all.

Insignia is indeed rejoining the fleet with her "maiden European voyage" scheduled for early May 2014.

Insignia, along with Regatta and Nautica, will all be dry docked in 2014 and will all undergo extensive refurbishments. The idea of installing Baristas in the space presently occupied by the Grand Bar is under consideration as is an expanded Terrace Cafe to include a grill. We don't see a feasible way to add a Bon Appetit cooking school. We are still very much in the planning stages but can confirm that the Owners and Vista bathrooms will get a total and remarkable re-do.

Coincidentally, insignia visited Miami 2 weeks ago and I went aboard for an inspection.

Our German friends have taken very good care of her and she looks exactly the same as she did when we handed them the keys in April. I too feared the smoking smell issue but am pleased to report that I detected none! Seems that HL's guests are as concerned about their health as we all are so very few of them smoke. In any event, we plan on installing/replacing new carpets, curtains, furniture, wallpaper, mattresses, sheets, towels, napkins etc so smoke smell, if any, will absolutely not be an issue.

Appreciate all your comments throughout the year,

FDR

I don't think Paulchili's statement was off base given what has previously been posted here - from fairly reliable source (directly or indirectly) ;)

"AT LEAST" two years off -- that could be 5 years -- or more. Hard to tell. It could be a lot longer if they cannot fill what will be the equivalent of 7 R ships. I assume the economy will influence whether there is a new build as well. I hope they can do it all. I am so excited to have 3 refurbished Oceania R ships to choose from -- with the amazing grill in the Terrace Cafe. I still wish there were a way to put the culinary classes on those R ships.

Good to hear your positive feedback about the Princess West Africa cruise. We are looking forward to it, notwithstanding the fact that we have been to some African ports before - or maybe because we have been there before. (Though I do wish the beds were going to be the lovely O beds - Princess is not noted for its comfortable beds - and it is 61 days :eek:.) We have been on safari in Africa and as it is one of the most wonderful experiences ever, we will certainly try to do another as you can leave the ship at one port and rejoin later. Also agree about the Nautica HK to Athens itinerary, it would almost be our best so far also - an exceptional journey.

Emma,

After the big drydock when the Tahitian Princess became the Ocean Princess, we found that the beds in the mini suites had been changed and were a lot more comfortable with a pillow top. I wasn't sure if they had been changed all over the ship but friends of ours have just come back from a 20 day cruise on her and they were in a balcony cabin and they said the bed was very comfortable and she felt it had been changed in the last drydock which was in September 2012.

Hopefully you will find the same. ;)

Jennie

I am taking the Tahiti to London next year because of its unique trans oceanic nature and contrasts....It is pretty popular by all judgment as almost 17 months in advance the ship 70% booked ! That is remarkable, I was sorry to see the 3 day 2 night stop in Lima cancelec because that would allow Machu Picchu. But still the contrads going from Bora Bora. then easter island, experiencing the canal, Cave exploring in Beleeze , Myan ruins, Funky Key West, historic Charleston, New york, Bar harbor village and lobster, The Saint Lawerence and Canada, the North atlantic to Dublin, Cork and finaly the white cliffs of Dover ! Talk about a buffet for the sences... 50 days of continous contrast against each other.

This must be the 2014 cruise. I am booked on this years (2013) version and so far our Lima visit is still as planned. We on Marina disembark at Southampton.

Like I said..a bit more tame.

There is nothing wrong with tame - and exploring the wonderful sights closer to home...embarassed to say have lived and travelled all my life - but have yet to visit the Great Barrier Reef - which is in my home state of Australia.:o We go to the US every year to visit family and have been thinking we need to start looking at doing just the sorts of itineraries you mention while we are there - and preferably on Oceania.

...friends of ours have just come back from a 20 day cruise on her and they were in a balcony cabin and they said the bed was very comfortable and she felt it had been changed in the last drydock which was in September 2012. Hopefully you will find the same. ;) Jennie

Thanks...very good to hear...had not experienced the legendarily bad beds of Princess until our last cruise, but it was dire (though my husband was just fine as he can sleep anywhere). Sure was a shock after the cruise before on O with a dreamy bed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just resurrecting this thread to say how few trans-Pacific cruises there now are, by any cruise line. Regent used to do the 'Ring of Fire' cruise, with a nice long journey back across the Pacific by way of Tahiti. They don't do that any more at all. Most ships seem to come and go via India and the Suez these days. I know Oceania does a couple, but I'd like to put in a pitch for more. I'd always thought I'd do something like that some day, and now I realize I may have left it too late.

Of course I can still hope about the 2014 itineraries.

I, for one, also hope that O returns to Iceland in 2014. We had wanted to go on that itinerary this year but, for some reason, they didn't offer it. Hopefully, with the return of the Insignia, this will happen!

Also, we have been on two of O's Australia cruises (going both north and south of Sydney) and would love a circumnavigation of the continent. Multiple stops in Tasmania would be most welcome and from what I understand, the west coast of Australia (from Perth on up to Broom) is fantastic and somewhere that most Americans (including us) haven't visited. Also, an multi-night stop in Darwin would allow for trips to the very beautiful Katherine Gorge and/or Kakadu National Park. I think that one of the Princess ships has done a similar itinerary before but we have tried many other lines and now sail only on O. We would much prefer to wait for them to do it!!!

I hope that FDR is monitoring this board!!! :D

Billie

Princess do a number of circumnavigation cruises of Australia each year and Cunard has also done one on the QM2. There is a problem with going all the way round as it is far too hot in summer when most of the ships are down here. Also, it is the wet season up north from December to the end of March when the monsoons arrive, so it is not very pleasant in Cairns or Darwin in our summer.

The best time to do a circumnavigation would be around April but then most of the ships have left here for the U.S. and Europe. Along the West Coast, there is not a lot to see as the ships can only stop at Exmouth and Broome before hitting Perth. To see the far west properly, you need to either go on one of the small ships that cruise from Broome to Darwin in our winter such as Orion, or take a tour from Broome that will go right up to the Mitchell Plateau, a 14 day trip.

The best time to see Kakadu and Katherine is immediately after the wet which would be from May to July though this year the wet has been late and there isn't much water there as yet.

I would love Oceania to come down here more often but I think that may be wishful thinking. We will not cruise on the Princess ships which are permanently down here as they are really old cast offs from Princess. So that means that we always spend many hours in the air to get to our port of embarkation unfortunately.

Jennie

Mountain Grandma -

Iceland is in.

No circumnavigation of Australia.

FDR

We loved our cruise to Iceland last summer. So much so that on our next trip to Europe (whenever that may be) we are hoping to fly Iceland Air so we can stopover in Reykjavik for free!

Mo

Potterhill,

If your schedule permits you might enjoy going to the Blue Lagoon. Very cool experience. Tour the southern coast and you will be able to see amazing sights; my favorite was the Black Sand Beach & basalt columns... awesome!

We loved our cruise to Iceland last summer. So much so that on our next trip to Europe (whenever that may be) we are hoping to fly Iceland Air so we can stopover in Reykjavik for free!

Mo

If you can stay over for about 10 days, there are some great land trips that pretty much circumnavigate Iceland. We went on a land tour and it was fantastic.

I wouldn't mind seeing Riviera or Marina doing a few scenic 12 day cruises to Alaska...Hit the major scenery spots and forget trying to do a port a day. I realize some love that, but I'd like to see a few cruises that focus purely on scenery and cruising the sights during the day...and have something crazy like taking the Tenders into a smaller river/scenic area as the 'excursion' offered....or float planes coming to the ship...out in a more remote area.

And this is a good one (well, I think so...)!

I realise this thread had gone a bit cold but whilst away last weekend the following occurred to me..

If Oceania can run cruise ships this well, how good a job would they make of adding an 'expedition' ship to the fleet? Silversea and Celebrity have had great success with theirs and here are just a few of the attractions should Oceania go this route:

~ it gives us some wonderful new itineraries - into places Oceania just can't take us to at the moment

~ it attracts a whole new set of customers who are bound to go on to become loyal Oceania 'conventional' cruisers

~ in the meantime it reduces the times we 'regulars' drift off for a more adventurous experience, land trip or competitor itinerary

~ it might also help Oceania attract the very best staff (that don't already work for them) because it gives a more varied career path and new experiences for them too

~ it might slow the rate at which we all find ourselves asking Mr Del Rio and his colleagues to find us something different to see

~ and finally, I fancy Mr Del Rio really likes a new challenge.....and would relish the thought of developing a sister product to sit alongside the magnificent one he has built....

Anyone agree....?

Adrian

Adrian, I fully agree. They do have an 'extra' ship because the Insignia is returning.

Which places exactly do you have in mind? O would have to advertise that it is a more adventurous route and that 'ashore' is not a five star hotel environment. Unforseen things might happen. Be prepared!

Archived