Cheap,cheap,cheap

Capt. & Teach

Equivalence doesn't equal cost. It's been reported from a variety of sources that the total average spend for Princess per DAY per passenger on all included food is probably in the $25-$30 range. Of course, part of the reason they can do that is the low labor costs. And that factors in a lot of lower cost ingredients in any given plating (not all cruisers will eat a premium item in every meal). In the case of the crown grill, every meal has a premium item.

As I noted above, Bruce's numbers seem very reasonable and when you consider operating costs I severely doubt that the specialty restaurants do any better than break even on food. But as I noted, they are also part of a marketing strategy, and I suspect contribute quite a bit to alcohol and specialty drink revenue at the bottom line. But they are not profit centers.

Good guessing and speculation.

Now for some real numbers.

Silver Sea, Seabourn, and Sea Dream Yacht Club all spend between $24 and $28 per person, per day, for all the food eaten onboard. These numbers do not include crew food.

Azamara, Oceania, and Regent average between $17 and $22 per person, per day. These numbers do not include crew food.

HAL, Celebrity, and Princess range from $12.50 to $15.50 per person per day - not including the specialty restaurants. Different itineraries and different ships within these fleets vary within this range. These numbers do not include crew food.

RCCL, Carnival, and NCL range from $7.45 to $12 per person, per day- not including the specialty restaurants. Different itineraries and different ships within these fleets vary within this range. These numbers do not include crew food.

Lower than I thought. Maybe my numbers were on a per cabin basis. I know specialty dining isn't included in those numbers, I will assume any other for-fee products are not included (gelato, coffees, etc)...

Good guessing and speculation.

Now for some real numbers.

Silver Sea, Seabourn, and Sea Dream Yacht Club all spend between $24 and $28 per person, per day, for all the food eaten onboard. These numbers do not include crew food.

Azamara, Oceania, and Regent average between $17 and $22 per person, per day. These numbers do not include crew food.

HAL, Celebrity, and Princess range from $12.50 to $15.50 per person per day - not including the specialty restaurants. Different itineraries and different ships within these fleets vary within this range. These numbers do not include crew food.

RCCL, Carnival, and NCL range from $7.45 to $12 per person, per day- not including the specialty restaurants. Different itineraries and different ships within these fleets vary within this range. These numbers do not include crew food.

To throw my 2 cents in, I was told by a Cruise Officer that the main reason the unlimited free internet was discontinued was that people were taking advantage of it by letting all of their other family and friends use it 24/7. I pay for a single, so I think it would be good to get double internet since I am paying double, but it just doesn't work that way.

Interesting statistics! Does the cost per person per day include the "free drinks" on some luxury cruise lines?

Those luxury lines also charge about 3-4 X's the fare as a main stream line...there is no such thing as "free" on a cruise ship.

My husband and I are glad to pay the $25 fee for the specialty restaurants. Better food and service, hands down. We don't spend a ton of cash on drinks, gambling, internet, bingo or shopping so I'm sure our charges are a whole lot less than what others pay by the end of the week. We're also fine paying a corkage fee every night to have a good bottle of wine with dinner.

Those luxury lines also charge about 3-4 X's the fare as a main stream line...there is no such thing as "free" on a cruise ship.

My husband and I are glad to pay the $25 fee for the specialty restaurants. Better food and service, hands down. We don't spend a ton of cash on drinks, gambling, internet, bingo or shopping so I'm sure our charges are a whole lot less than what others pay by the end of the week. We're also fine paying a corkage fee every night to have a good bottle of wine with dinner.

Funny you posted this as we were just discussing the same thing. We just got back two weeks ago and were booked in a suite. We ate in the suite or specialty restaurants the entire week and it was great not having to deal with one of the dining rooms. So if we booked a mini (at 40-50% of the suite price), now that they removed free Internet, and the fact we are Elite so still get laundry and bar set up and some free internet minutes, save for Breakfast in Sabatini's (which would be greatly missed) we'd basically give up the space and balcony. We could eat at the specialty restaurants every night for $175pp on a 7 day cruise and come out way ahead.

Why have we all become so dependent on the internet? We all survived cruises before the internet why can't we cut the cord while we are on vacation?

Just spent 14 days on a canal cruise, shut the phone off in LA and turned it back on in FL. No internet, phone or TV. Best 2 weeks I've had in a long time!!

We just got off the Sapphire and it was full on Christmas eve. food was wonderful and we thourghly enjoyed it,

Great news...my best cruise..in limted experience has been a Star Princess Inaugural and I am about ready (almost sure) to try both Princess and Rccl..so excited about better entertainment and food I remember way back in 2002...Sarah

Last cruise was 5 day Easter one in 2012 out of San Diego on Carnival Spirit, will try them again but want a little more..they really went down from a great experience on Paradise in 2009..part of it was Holiday time...but this is great to hear!!

I am sure there have to be economic cutbacks of sorts everywhere...but glad the reports are good...Sarah

Funny you posted this as we were just discussing the same thing. We just got back two weeks ago and were booked in a suite. We ate in the suite or specialty restaurants the entire week and it was great not having to deal with one of the dining rooms. So if we booked a mini (at 40-50% of the suite price), now that they removed free Internet, and the fact we are Elite so still get laundry and bar set up and some free internet minutes, save for Breakfast in Sabatini's (which would be greatly missed) we'd basically give up the space and balcony. We could eat at the specialty restaurants every night for $175pp on a 7 day cruise and come out way ahead.

Good to know from experienced cruisers when wanting to splurge a great plan...I just loved sharing my mini-suite with a friend on Princess,..they are a step down if used to suites but quite nice I think..well done rooms...I like the soft furnishings in all of Princess rooms...from photos and seeing 2 ships.....sarah

To throw my 2 cents in, I was told by a Cruise Officer that the main reason the unlimited free internet was discontinued was that people were taking advantage of it by letting all of their other family and friends use it 24/7.

How would a Cruise Offier know?

My 2 cents.

I would make a bet that the "regular suite people" don't let people use their minutes. How do yo do that? - only one person can be logged in at a time. Why would I let someone else use mine and then have to call them and say "get off - I want to check my e-mail" no - doesn't happen. They should stop offering suites as upgrades. Many of the people getting them know they will never be able to afford a suite so they want to take advantage of it and I believe they do offer their password to friends and family - I've had them sit at the next table at Sabitini's talking about it. They also send laundry down for them. I'd like to know what percentage of people that were upgraded to suites continue to book them. From reading on CC, where many write that they were upgraded are so excited and say they could never afford them. Another one is the family suite - six people in one and they all use to get free unlimited internet. I've had a group from one of those cabins sit next to me a Sabitini's - no comment! I've never stayed in one, just walked thru but to me, those aren't suites - just a mini and an inside connected. They should start offering discounts on suites instead. I have never gotten a discount on a suite - I seem to book cruises that sell out right away. The suites that don't sell are the WS. Many times they are discounted and offered for less than mini's. On a recent 4 day cruise, you could book them when they opened up for $399. What a deal? Many end up with WS's for $1200 for 7 days. And they get the same perks as someone paying $2900 or more. You don't see any new ships building any WS's. I would never book one since love balconies but I can understand that some people don't use them.

So, that was my 2 cents.

To throw my 2 cents in, I was told by a Cruise Officer that the main reason the unlimited free internet was discontinued was that people were taking advantage of it by letting all of their other family and friends use it 24/7. I pay for a single, so I think it would be good to get double internet since I am paying double, but it just doesn't work that way.

LOL..me too..great thread, lots of learning, and civil......Sarah

Why have we all become so dependent on the internet? We all survived cruises before the internet why can't we cut the cord while we are on vacation?

Just spent 14 days on a canal cruise, shut the phone off in LA and turned it back on in FL. No internet, phone or TV. Best 2 weeks I've had in a long time!!

My DH isnt allowed near the internet cafe while we are on a cruise. I Have his bosses permission to throw any computer he brings on board overboard, and if he goes into the internet cafe I have permission to throw him overboard.

Its a vacation and anything that happens online can wait. If its an emergency people have a way to contact us.

I agree that our 7 days was very relaxing.

How would a Cruise Offier know?

I will try to answer your question with a question. Have you ever lived in a small town ?

The ship is like a small town and there are no secrets.

We were met by an officer shortly after boarding a ship we sailed often, and he commented that he knew we were coming without looking at the manifest. He said the "kids" were happy.

In another case, we did some things for some of the behind the scenes crew, and the following day, at least a dozen of the waitstaff commented about how nice it was to do that.

As I said --- There are no secrets on a ship or a small town.

Different strokes. Some people really love the internet and being in contact with work, friends and family on a regular basis. I know that I personally can relax more when I know everything is ok.

There are also people who wouldn't be able to cruise at all if they weren't able to work from the ship.

Live and let live.

I agree with Coral. While I don't have the specific numbers, cruise lines don't make a profit on cruise fares. Profit comes from onboard spending. Experienced repeat Princess passengers know how to get more bang for their buck. They book using a discount TA, never directly with the cruise line, saving 10-20% off the cruise fare plus OBC and other perks; they buy Carnival Corporation stock to get the OBC perk; they have FCCs to use to book and get OBC; if they are former military, they get the military OBC; and they make use of the unlimited free laundry, good-sized Internet packages and 10% discount in the onboard shops. They tend not to buy from the art auction, photos, or go to bingo. They don't buy tons of t-shirts and other stuff. They tend not to book cruise line tours but use independent tours. It's not unusual for an experienced Princess cruiser to have $500-600 (or more) OBC to start the cruise.

Your assumptions are off. I book directly with princess because i hate going through middle men if I see a lower fare or want to change cabins. I sail with princess a minimum of twice a year. I never buy FCC's because i may change my mind and book a different line. I always book a mini suite which is really an over priced balcony so I believe that they make plenty of revenue on their cabins. I never bought princess stock and never will. I hate their laundry because they use very hot water and set the stains instead of remove them. I always use my DH military OBC and i enjoy the complimentary mini bar that comes with being an elite status. I always use my 10% off in the shops and always shop on board duty free. I am an experienced Princess cruiser and usually have about $200 OBC not what you think an experienced cruiser should have. I usually book one shore excursion with princess and do the rest independently. I hate posting on these boards because people represent their opinions as fact. Opinions are great but need to be prefaced as opinions. The best thing about CC is the Roll calls.

Your assumptions are off. I book directly with princess because i hate going through middle men if I see a lower fare or want to change cabins. I sail with princess a minimum of twice a year. I never buy FCC's because i may change my mind and book a different line. I always book a mini suite which is really an over priced balcony so I believe that they make plenty of revenue on their cabins. I never bought princess stock and never will. I hate their laundry because they use very hot water and set the stains instead of remove them. I always use my DH military OBC and i enjoy the complimentary mini bar that comes with being an elite status. I always use my 10% off in the shops and always shop on board duty free. I am an experienced Princess cruiser and usually have about $200 OBC not what you think an experienced cruiser should have. I usually book one shore excursion with princess and do the rest independently. I hate posting on these boards because people represent their opinions as fact. Opinions are great but need to be prefaced as opinions. The best thing about CC is the Roll calls.

To clear up one point in your post --- Princess stock is non-existent. It is Carnival (CCL) stock that gives you the OBC for sailing any of their lines.

Everybody wants free stuff!

Well here it is the facts that less and less people understand, and these facts are what is diminishing our quality of life!

Cruising is a luxury, in my opinion an un paralleled luxury. But it is not a government subsidized luxury. So you must pay for what you want, no matter if it is your 1st cruise or your 100th. If you don't pay for it somebody else must! The cost of what you want does not change because you are on your 100th cruise. All that means is that you are more fortunate than others, (which is a good thing).

Should we have a ship tax so others can pay for what you want? What happens when everybody wants things that they don't want to pay for? Should we raise the ship tax? Or should we just pay for what we want to have?

This is a familiar theme in the world today, but we are talking about crushing here. If you want things that are not excluded in the price of the best vacation deal on the planet, than pay for it! Chances are you will decide you really didn't need that, you just wanted it for nothing.

After you attack me following this post, my point will become even clearer to those who get it.

I'm not sure this can be better said, so I'll say, I agree totally. I often wonder how anyone can complain about issues arising from a cruise (uness they are major).

IMO Princess likes customer like you. Your approach is good for Princess's bottom line. You have every right to take this approach. I suspect it is not unusual.

It's one of many reasons we started to cruise in the first place - knowing work could not get in touch with you.

A few years ago my cell phone rang right before sail away and I instinctively answered it. It was the office and just then the ships horn blasted right before I hit the "end" button on the phone they were saying something about "Great we caught you before the ship sailed". After returning to the office after the fifteen day cruise the phone call was not mentioned so I did not bring it up either.

So I agree just disconnect and enjoy!!

It's one of many reasons we started to cruise in the first place - knowing work could not get in touch with you.

A few years ago my cell phone rang right before sail away and I instinctively answered it. It was the office and just then the ships horn blasted right before I hit the "end" button on the phone they were saying something about "Great we caught you before the ship sailed". After returning to the office after the fifteen day cruise the phone call was not mentioned so I did not bring it up either.

So I agree just disconnect and enjoy!!

A fitting end to a phone call from work. :D

IMO Princess likes customer like you. Your approach is good for Princess's bottom line. You have every right to take this approach. I suspect it is not unusual.

Thank you, and I like Princess. One thing I believe is over looked with us "older" & "experienced" cruisers is we have more time and money to spend. I know from my own experience that I will pay for convenience that someone on a tight budget can't or won't. Amongst my circle of friends , and we travel often, we have more discretionary dollars then many. In this economy ( I hear this way of talking about the economy all the time) anyone who any thing to sell should target repeat customers and those with extra money to spend on a cruise. As a rule I don't try to figure out how Princess or any other business does their business, I only look to see if I like the product and if am willing to pay the price.

Archived